Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. (2265 Views)

Poll: should NYSC give way for mandatory military service?

NYSC should remain: 7% (3 votes)
Military service should take over: 35% (14 votes)
No to both NYSC & Military service: 57% (23 votes)
This poll has ended

Senate President Saraki Doesn’t Know New Military Service Chiefs Need Senate Con / National Identity Number Mandatory From September / Appointment Of Military Service-Chiefs Declared Illegal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by bamosagie(m): 11:47pm On Jul 07, 2011
Lets scrap NYSC and replace it with mandatory military service for adult between the age of eighteen and thirty.
The gestation period of this service should be one or two years.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Pafuri(m): 2:00am On Jul 08, 2011
Glad to be the first person to post on this.

Yes.YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by whobemumu(m): 2:22am On Jul 08, 2011
no no no

u want to give cultists and the potentiaal unemployed military training and connections ?

recipe for disaster my friends

that said i do not know the solution to nysc , what i know is that the one year i spent doing it was an absolute waste and in the light of the present insecurity

and risk it cannot continue as it presently is
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by tony451: 4:03am On Jul 08, 2011
Haha hell no! If our military was as professional and well run as those of the Scandinavian countries where they do that then it will be understandable. Even common NYSC is not halfway close to being properly run not to talk about the Nigerian military where soldiers are at the mercy of their officers and mistreated beyond belief.

Another thing to consider is the place of the military in Nigerian society. To start with the public doesn't have the same respectful relationship with soldiers that you will find in developed countries. The degree of indispline in the military will only lead to new recruits abusing their new found power. Personally, I wouldn't trust any young person in Nigeria with a gun in his/her hand
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Pa22(m): 4:23am On Jul 08, 2011
I'm pondering,, more recruits at a time, easy coup & drastic revolution in view.abuse of firearms.illegal this & that,  Are we ripe for this?,  Still pondering.I'm pondering,, more recruits at a time, easy coup & drastic revolution in view.abuse of firearms.illegal this & that,  Are we ripe for this?,  Still pondering.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by femmy2010(m): 4:34am On Jul 08, 2011
Nysc scheme should be continued but participant should be directed to searve in their state of origin.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by phuckNL: 5:31am On Jul 08, 2011
It is really simple. MAKE NYSC OPTIONAL WITH A CATCH. . .

Increase the monthly pay to like 50,000 and make it voluntary. Anyone that wants to serve and wants to receive the 50,000 or whatever amount will agree to serve and be posted anywhere. As long as it is voluntary, NYSC can stay.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 5:36am On Jul 08, 2011
phuck_NL:

It is really simple. MAKE NYSC OPTIONAL WITH A CATCH. . .

Increase the monthly pay to like 50,000 and make it voluntary. Anyone that wants to serve and wants to receive the 50,000 or whatever amount will agree to serve and be posted anywhere. As long as it is voluntary, NYSC can stay.

So will that money be coming out of your pocket or your family's $18billion worth purewater business company? Just asking.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So will that money be coming out of your pocket or your family's $18billion worth purewater business company? Just asking.

Dumb Statements all the time

@ topic, Scrap it off
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by texazzpete(m): 6:34am On Jul 08, 2011
odiaero:

Dumb Statements all the time

@ topic, Scrap it off

Actually that was a very intelligent contribution. You were just too daft to understand it. Where would the money come from?

The topic asks for an alternative to NYSC. 'scrap it off' is not a sensible response.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by ProfJYK(m): 6:57am On Jul 08, 2011
NYSC as it is now is just cheap labour for slave drivers (corporate Nigeria) or "Baa Aiki" for the Civil Service and has shoulda been scrapped 20 years as it is now an obsolete technology for national re-integration. I served in the north and the population of southerners there was impressive and they were definitely not corpers and thier reasons for living there are not remotely connected to the scheme.

SCRAP THE THING JOOR. ORIENTATION CAMP AS MUCH FUN AS THEY MADE US BELIEVE
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

Actually that was a very intelligent contribution. You were just too daft to understand it. Where would the money come from?

The topic asks for an alternative to NYSC. 'scrap it off' is not a sensible response.

Dont be Daft to overrun your shadow, she knows what am talking about undecided
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by phuckNL: 8:54am On Jul 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The expectation is that by making it voluntary, not everyone will chose to serve. The monthly stipend is just supposed to be an incentive. They already spend way more than that per corper per month already. It just happens that they are looting the funds. Thats y those benefitting from the scheme dont want it scrapped.

If it is voluntary, a lot of people may decide not to serve since they may end up in Bauchi. Some people will go on straight to paid employment.

Making it voluntary is an option!
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by ektbear: 9:23am On Jul 08, 2011
What is the point of the military service? I thought those Scandinavian countries which require 1 year mandatory service (or Singapore which requires 2, iirc) have tiny populations, and do it to boost the size of their potential military force.

Nigeria doesn't have a small population, and I doubt they plan on drastically reducing the size of the military. So why is this being suggested?
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by bamosagie(m): 9:58am On Jul 08, 2011
The aim of NYSC is to foster national unity, service is suppose to turn our youth to responsible adult.
The military have the set up to accomplish this objective. maybe the idea need to be fine tuned, but it is my humble opinion that the Nigerian state would gain from the experience. the military (Army, Airforce & Navy) can accomodate any proffessional leaning of the populace, they have department for every facet of life, even the chaplain service for the very religious minded ones. it is not only about violence and being armed.
I did not serve in the NYSC scheme because I know it has lost its relevance, but the military would have be a different ball game as there is never a dull moment.
Dont get me wrong, I have never been a soldier, and do not have the desire to be one, but there is more plus if the mandatory one year experience is considered.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by ektbear: 10:01am On Jul 08, 2011
If they just keep NYSC and make it optional and give people more freedom to chose where they serve, I'd be happy enough with that. But making it optional probably will cause most to do something else.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 08, 2011
femmy2010:

Nysc scheme should be continued but participant should be directed to searve in their state of origin.

I will rather say on a regional basis.Afterall,it won't hurt southerners if corpers from kano are killed by boko harams.Let yorubas serve within SW,ibos within SE and hausas within the boko harams states or better still scrap the rubbish away !
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I will rather say on a regional basis.Afterall,it won't hurt southerners if corpers from kano are killed by boko harams.Let yorubas serve within SW,ibos within SE and hausas within the boko harams states or better still scrap the rubbish away !

+1
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by bamosagie(m): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2011
There wont be any need for NYSC if participant are to serve in their state of origin or region.
NYSC create opportuinity for Nigerians to know other places and appreciate other cultures so we can have unity in diversity, it make no sense to serve in area you have been all your life, you are used to the same norm and you know the place already. the issue is the safety of the participant, experience gain from the proggrame, challenges/motivation to keep the fire of the scheme burning.
Imagine what happen to any village where a military personnel is killed, talk of the experience available in mixing with proffessionals that are not spurred by financial incentive or the challanges of bootcamp and the pride in serving your fatherland.

1 Like

Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by texazzpete(m): 12:00pm On Jul 08, 2011
Prof JYK:

NYSC as it is now is just cheap labour for slave drivers (corporate Nigeria) or "Baa Aiki" for the Civil Service and has shoulda been scrapped 20 years as it is now an obsolete technology for national re-integration. I served in the north and the population of southerners there was impressive and they were definitely not corpers and thier reasons for living there are not remotely connected to the scheme.

SCRAP THE THING JOOR. ORIENTATION CAMP AS MUCH FUN AS THEY MADE US BELIEVE

One thing cretins like you fail to mention is that the largest employer of these corp members is in the educational sector. Corpers prop up a huge percentage of our rural education. Corps members make a huge impact in local medical care. Kill the scheme abruptly now and you'll see a massive collapse in those two sectors.

'Corporate Nigeria'? Are you sure you've really served?
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by ProfJYK(m): 11:23am On Jul 12, 2011
texazzpete:

One thing cretins like you fail to mention is that the largest employer of these corp members is in the educational sector. Corpers prop up a huge percentage of our rural education. Corps members make a huge impact in local medical care. Kill the scheme abruptly now and you'll see a massive collapse in those two sectors.

'Corporate Nigeria'? Are you sure you've really served?

please stop the name calling okay.
i served in a capital city but had friends from camp posted to do your supposed rural education/medification/everything else living in the urban areas all through their service year, going back only for clearance or when there was news of headcounts. if there is no incentives to teach or stay in the rural areas(Rivers and Lagos for example) then how do u make it compusory. even the L.I's and A.I's always had a reason to be in the capital city, leaving thier jobs.

ps. u can ask for the meaning of L.I A.I and Z.I if u dont know from 1 who didnt serve as u alleged.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Gbenge77(m): 4:16pm On Jul 12, 2011
No,the programme should be scrapped entirely.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Ikengawo: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2011
you know, i completely agree.

Mandatory military service would actually go a long ways in curbing out security problem. Not only will our army be bigger and more able to fight things like boko haram, but our civilian populace will be full of well trained well equip men and women that can be more vigilant in fighting crime

we hear about terrorist trying to take over buses and a person on the bus shooting them with deadly speed and accuracy. This is cause every israeli has military training.

i think NYSC is a good idea though, so make it optional, military or NYSC.
Re: Replace Nysc With Mandatory Military Service. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 12, 2011
odiaero:

Dont be Daft to overrun your shadow, she knows what am talking about undecided
"Scrap it off"?
I doubt anybody understands what you're talking about. Stick with Romance section for now, plz.

(1) (Reply)

State Governments Ignore Early Flood Warning Messages - NEMA / President Jonathan, Wife Check Into German Hospital / Nairalanders' Support For The "Go And Die" Widow Acknowledged On Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.