Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists (640 Views)

Power Generation Crashes To 3,383MW Despite Hike In Tariff / Grid Collapses Again, Power Generation Crashes To 43.5MW / Lagos Residents Decry Regular Road Crashes By Clubgoers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by iwaeda: 7:59am On Apr 20, 2022
The latest figures on Nigeria’s power grid performance released on Tuesday showed that the quantum of electricity generated on the grid had continued to fluctuate, as it fell by 903 megawatts on Monday, April 18, 2022.

Nigeria’s electricity grid has been characterised by some sort of instability lately, witnessing about four different grid collapses in less than two months.

A document on the country’s 24-hour grid performance, obtained from the Federal Ministry of Power in Abuja on Tuesday, showed that the fluctuation of electricity generated on the grid had yet to abate.

It was observed that while peak power generation on the grid at 22.00 hours on April 17, 2022 was 3,829.7MW, it crashed to 2,926.8MW at 03.00 hours the next day.

This implies that power generation on the national grid crashed by precisely 902.9MW on Monday, April 18, 2022, before moving up again to a peak of 4,066.1MW at 21.30 hours.

Our correspondent further observed that the crash in power generation on Monday warranted a reduction in the quantum of energy sent out on that day when compared to what was sent out to customers on Sunday.

Figures from the Independent System Operator of the grid showed that the total quantum of energy generated and sent out on Sunday, April 17, 2022, was 87,553.76MW-hour and 86,564.47MWh respectively.

This, however, dropped on Monday, April 18, 2022, due to the fall in power generation on the grid, as 84,764.67MWh was the total quantum of energy generated, while 83,723.87MWh was sent out to power users nationwide.

The instability of the national grid had remained a concern to not just operators in the sector but other power users.

Last week The PUNCH exclusively reported that the collapse of Nigeria’s electricity grid actually occurred twice – on Friday and Saturday of the preceding week despite concerted efforts to stabilise the power system.

The report revealed that the quantum of electricity on the grid crashed from over 3,000MW on Friday, April 8, 2022, to as low as 10MW around 21.00 hours the same day.

It further stated that another collapse of the grid occurred on Saturday, April 9, 2022, as the nation’s power system collapsed to 33MW around 01.00 hours after it had earlier posted a peak generation of 3,281.50MW at 00.00 hours the same day.

Also, the national grid collapsed twice last month and this happened within a space of two days, a development that made the Federal Government summon a meeting of stakeholders to address the issue.

The Special Adviser to the President on Infrastructure, Ahmed Zakari, had blamed the recent collapse on the sabotage of power infrastructure, describing the act as one that was difficult to comprehend.

“Yesterday we had a grid collapse, the driver was sabotage of Ikot-Ekpene Calabar 330kv tower,” Zakari had stated at the time of the collapse early this month, adding that “the grid is connected, an event at a large power source can collapse the system. Sabotage of our infrastructure by citizens is difficult to comprehend.

Zakari added, “It is important to improve security but the infrastructure is vast, spans thousands of kilometers, and has multiple risk points. When citizens sabotage infrastructure, it leads you to question if we want to progress as a nation. Hardship inflicted on fellow citizens is unconscionable.”

https://punchng.com/power-generation-crashes-by-903mw-national-grid-crisis-persists/
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Crowwejihadist: 7:59am On Apr 20, 2022
We stand on Bubu's manhood according to BMC, I am sure it will provide electricity.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 7:59am On Apr 20, 2022
Will things ever get better in naija?
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Parachoko: 8:00am On Apr 20, 2022
Power supply have been so terrible this year.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by money121(m): 8:02am On Apr 20, 2022
kilo sele sef
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by dedonfranco(m): 8:04am On Apr 20, 2022
Since I was born....Now am getting old......Nigeria power system hasn't changed.

Since 1999 over 40 billion Dollars has gone to power.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 20, 2022
We get what we pay for.

Pay poorly for power, get poor power.

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by GeeMeshin1(m): 8:05am On Apr 20, 2022
It's a norm apparently
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by iwaeda: 8:09am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:
We get what we pay for.

With all the promises of APC, Buhari, Fashola, the science rocket and the new minister, we have not crossed 5000MW threshold grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 20, 2022
To think of it... they improved nothing while reducing everything..
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 20, 2022
iwaeda:

With all the promises of APC, Buhari, Fashola, the science rocket and the new minister, we have not crossed 5000MW threshold grin grin grin grin grin

Power has been in private hands since 2013.

The problem is that the tarrifs are not set by the power companies, they are set by government, and kept below the cost of production to keep people like you happy.(I say this because anytime I suggest that power companies charge the tarrifs they should charge, APC and PDP supporters come and tell me stories about Nigerians being too poor for that)

Also, people like you don't pay your bills.(Because, as one funny APC supporter told me, Nigerians are too poor. Or something)

You can blast APC rightly, as I do because ultimately it is all their fault, but not in the way you think it is. APC should either let the power companies charge the tarrifs they want to charge...so that they can make a profit to fix things....or force another loan.

Buhari is a failure, we are quibbling about the how here.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by olaudahequi: 8:14am On Apr 20, 2022
At least fix power, we gave enough time APC.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by inoki247: 8:16am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:
We get what we pay for.

You people should rest jarey everybody in Nigeria start to dey pay 1m as there electricity bill...

Electricity go still worst....
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

The problem is that the tarrifs are not set by the power companies, they are set by government, and kept below the cost of production to keep people like you happy.(I say this because anytime I suggest that power companies charge the tarrifs they should charge, APC and PDP supporters come and tell me stories about Nigerians being too poor for that)

Also, people like you don't pay your bills.(Because, as one funny APC supporter told me, Nigerians are too poor. Or something)

You can blast APC rightly, as I do because ultimately it is all their fault, but not in the way you think it is. APC should either let the power companies charge the tarrifs they want to charge...so that they can make a profit to fix things....or force another loan.

Please say something else.... APC is incompetent..

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 20, 2022
inoki247:

You people should rest jarey everybody in Nigeria start to dey pay 1m as there electricity bill...

Electricity go still worst....

Yeah I know, we give them money they chop it.

Yet when GSM came, you Nigerians gave them huge sums of money in the name of SIM cards (sometimes as much as N10000 for one SIM) and they took your money and the service was very poor (at one time you could not use MTN to call ECONET, and even NITEL lines....that's the genesis of Nigerians having more than one GSM line).....but the money made was invested in the GSM infrastructure that makes things like home internet available...which is why I can type this from my flat.

At the end of the day, if you don't pay for a service, you won't get it. Ye can pretend that we pay the power companies enough, but we don't. And that's why we always have had bad power, even during the days of NEPA. (Yes, many Nigerians were not paying their bills back then, as were government and private officies)

Ye can abuse me, but pay poorly, get poor service. We even have to buy our poles and transformers, because what we pay the power sector is not enough for them to buy such things for us.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 20, 2022
Esseite:

Hmm

It's the truth.

We have been blasting all the governments for poor power supply for donkey years, when the reality is we don't pay the kind of money to have 24 hour power. (Unless you live in a A band area).

We should face that truth, or else the same issue will face us whatever the party in charge.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

It's the truth.

We have been blasting all the governments for poor power supply for donkey years, when the reality is we don't pay the kind of money to have 24 hour power. (Unless you live in a A band area).

We should face that truth, or else the same issue will face us whatever the party in charge.

There is no subsidy on electricity.... we are suffering incompetense.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 20, 2022
The implication of this is that those who generate power are bleeding money. According to Joy Ogaji, executive secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), debts to GenCos, acknowledged by the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company (NBET), are over N500 billion, but in their books it has risen to over N1 trillion when stranded power, DisCos are unable to take, is included.

Due to the inability of the market to generate enough revenue to cover the cost of producing power, NBET began paying GenCos only for energy DisCos is willing to take, though the power purchase agreement signed by DisCos obligates them to pay for both energy and capacity, Ogaji said.

GenCos are in dire financial strait over poor remittance by DisCos, she also said. The situation is worsened because GenCos are compelled to bill for only power requested by the DisCos rather than how much power they can generate (capacity).

However, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), which regulates the sector, approved an eligible customer provision in 2018 to allow GenCos sell power directly to customers with capacity for large-scale energy use. But putting the regulation to work has been problematic

Sacue
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by iwaeda: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

You people reason with your noise. For your info, I used pre paid and load as low as N50k grin grin grin grin
Discos were to provide meters; 9 years after 75% are not metered. Go to Ijora and see where they kept meters, but corruption of staff who preferred carrying ladders and collect bribe money will not allow for metering.
If people are metered loss of revenue will be reduced, what has APC done differently right grin angry grin grin grin
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by inoki247: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

Yeah I know, we give them money they chop it.

Yet when GSM came, you Nigerians gave them huge sums of money in the name of SIM cards (sometimes as much as N10000 for one SIM) and they took your money and the service was very poor (at one time you could not use MTN to call ECONET, and even NITEL lines....that's the genesis of Nigerians having more than one GSM line).....but the money made was invested in the GSM infrastructure that makes things like home internet available...which is why I can type this from my flat.

At the end of the day, if you don't pay for a service, you won't get it. Ye can pretend that we pay the power companies enough, but we don't. And that's why we always have had bad power, even during the days of NEPA. (Yes, many Nigerians were not paying their bills back then, as were government and private officies)

Ye can abuse me, but pay poorly, get poor service. We even have to buy our poles and transformers, because what we pay the power sector is not enough for them to buy such things for us.

Lol you people should keep looking for excuses so I'm supposed to be the one to be paying for the infrastructure of the electricity You just saying if I want to patronize a Tailor or Capenter na me go pay for him tools nd shop rent....

Transformers go spoil na me go pay for maintenance someone will come nd steal cable inside Transformer na me go still pay...

I'm sure if we check the bill dey give us monthly there's is always maintenance fee added to the bill apart from the electricity I use so what else du u want I pay for maintenance pay Vat on electricity Still u can't use all diz to upgrade ur system....

You people shuld kuku ask for our Kidney before we can have 24hrs light...
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 20, 2022
Esseite:

There is no subsidy on electricity.... we are suffering incompetense.

LOL...there is.

In 2019, Moghalu stated that power cost N53 per kwh, at which time we were paying N20-30 per kwh market price

PwC issued a report on liquidity in the power sector in 2018 where they put the actual tarrif then at N83

Even then, there is a shortfall because a significant percentage of people are not paying for power.

Also, the subsidy removal that the government did was recent. Meaning it has always been there

I know you are a PDP man, and I agree APC has been seriously incompetent. But the truth is, the problem in the power sector has been that PDP and APC governments and Nigerians have not let it make the money it needs to pay for improvements...because Nigerians are poor, or something.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 20, 2022
inoki247:

Lol you people should keep looking for excuses so I'm supposed to be the one to be paying for the infrastructure of the electricity You just saying if I want to patronize a Tailor or Capenter na me go pay for him tools nd shop rent....

Transformers go spoil na me go pay for maintenance someone will come nd steal cable inside Transformer na me go still pay...

I'm sure if we check the bill dey give us monthly there's is always maintenance fee added to the bill apart from the electricity I use so what else du u want I pay for maintenance pay Vat on electricity Still u can't use all diz to upgrade ur system....

Abeg, this is no excuse for nothing.

I don't like APC

But when you bring in a policy that makes it difficult for a company to make a profit...to the point where they cannot pay taxes self, what do you expect.

APC has failed, I never ever voted for or want to vote for them, because polices like the ones they practice on the power sector make me know that they knoweth not economics.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 20, 2022
iwaeda:

You people reason with your noise. For your info, I used pre paid and load as low as N50k grin grin grin grin
Discos were to provide meters; 9 years after 75% are not metered. Go to Ijora and see where they kept meters, but corruption of staff who preferred carrying ladders and collect bribe money will not allow for metering.
If people are metered loss of revenue will be reduced, what has APC done differently right grin angry grin grin grin

So because you pay well for power, therefore everyone is paying well for power.

Okay.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 20, 2022
Ttalk:

You are bloody lair or maybe you are just ignorant of what you are saying
Show document to support government fix power price.

At what level do you claim government fix price. At generation or distribution level?

I think social media is really making Nigerian youth lazy and it has turned everyone to lair who just go online to make an unverified claim

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by iwaeda: 8:40am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

So because you pay well for power, therefore everyone is paying well for power.

Okay.
If they meter everyone sir and it will reduce wastage, People on estimated can afford to leave on their lighting systems, but pre paid will teach you sense. grin grin grin angry angry
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 20, 2022
iwaeda:

If they meter everyone sir and it will reduce wastage, People on estimated can afford to leave on their lighting systems, but pre paid will teach you sense. grin grin grin angry angry

Metering everyone is welcome. I back it.

Then there is the problem of people bypassing the meter, which happens, and which is a serious problem

So,not the solution you think it is.
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 20, 2022
Ttalk:

Am calling you out lazy youth, provide prove government fix electricity price. Why you suddenly go dumb

Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Ttalk: 8:55am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

LOL...there is.

In 2019, Moghalu stated that power cost N53 per kwh, at which time we were paying N20-30 per kwh market price

PwC issued a report on liquidity in the power sector in 2018 where they put the actual tarrif then at N83

Even then, there is a shortfall because a significant percentage of people are not paying for power.

Also, the subsidy removal that the government did was recent. Meaning it has always been there

I know you are a PDP man, and I agree APC has been seriously incompetent. But the truth is, the problem in the power sector has been that PDP and APC governments and Nigerians have not let it make the money it needs to pay for improvements...because Nigerians are poor, or something.

Just hear yourself, Moghalu says kwh cost 53naira? At what capacity did he say that, as energy expert or as minister for power. Your ignorance is very complex
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by Ttalk: 9:11am On Apr 20, 2022
[quote author=subsidywise18 post=112108243][/quote]

Come and prove your claim. Show record document or government policy that support your claim na. Abi na just beer parlour gossip you carry come naira land.

Stop disgracing yourself, because someone said so doesn't mean it is true. You should have conduct some restart to know fact of the matter.

As it stands today government has been subsidising Disco through many interventions such as SDG and REA where transformers are being provided.

Until recently, government have been paying for excess power generation that are lost via transmission and for others that are being rejected by discos.

Power failure is just incompetence and greediness on the part of the owners of different discos. Also the centralisation of power generation which is being decentralised by National assembly through initiated bill would make states take responsibility of the power they generate and distribute within their control

The discos are only capitalising on the privatisation agreement that makes them fleece Nigerians of their hard earned money without providing the electricity.

A serious government would have no choice than to revoke their licence and damn the consequence that may arise from litigation
Re: Power Generation Crashes By 903MW, National Grid Crisis Persists by iwaeda: 9:13am On Apr 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

Metering everyone is welcome. I back it.

Then there is the problem of people bypassing the meter, which happens, and which is a serious problem

So,not the solution you think it is.

It is because our system allows, once this is discovered, they should be prosecuted and make public example angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disquiet In Lagos, Ebonyi APC Over Endorsement Of Sanwo-Olu, Speaker / Because Of Tinubu Presidency I Called Igboho illiterate; Now This / BREAKING: APC Governors Reduce Proposed Aspirants To Three (see List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.