Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat (847 Views)

Russia Biggest War Ship On the Black Sea has been damaged by Ukraine / Putin Deploys 'Thermobaric' Bombs That Can Rupture Enemy Lungs To Ukraine (Pix) / 'Our Enemy Is Not US ': Iran Protesters Demand Leaders Quit After Plane Downed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 12:47pm On Apr 21, 2022
Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country and moving towards advancing as a modern industrialized country. He couldn’t have that on his doorstep.

Why? Not because of any security threat. No one wants to invade Russia. No, it’s because he couldn’t stand the Russian people seeing the rise in standard of living that the Ukraine was going to see. He couldn’t stand for his people to see how much more pleasant living in a free and democratic country would be.

Once they saw those things, they would demand the same.

NATO expansion had nothing to do with it (Russia already shares borders with NATO or within NATO's reach, and taking Ukraine would only bring NATO closer to Russia anyway). Just like it had nothing to do with his invasions of other countries either.

Russia has limited warm water ports, and a navy that’s near collapse with no more than a dozen fully functional capital ships, a half dozen attack submarines, and eight modern missile submarines. It’s air force has few gen 5 fighters.

Russia has basically zero capability to mount expeditionary warfare (as we see in Ukraine). The logistics system is badly designed, rife with the same corruption issues, and largely only capable of defensive war.

Russia’s biggest enemy though isn’t the US or NATO. It’s Russia's own paranoia combined with the attitude of a schoolyard bully. Russia was welcomed by the west back in the 1990’s. Today, Russia could be like a combination of Poland and Norway -- even better had it wanted to be.

A nation with rich natural resources slowly working to throw off the legacy of communism, but it chose a different route: It chose to be an asshole to her neighbors and then wonder why people don’t like them anymore.

Russia's eternal (Russia's been taking her neighbors' territories for centuries) covetousness for her neighbors' territories, the all-year-round navigable ports of Ukraine, the oil and gas in Crimea and eastern Ukraine, land connection and water to Crimea after illegally annexing same in 2014, amongst many other things is driving this madness.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by OAUTemitayo: 1:04pm On Apr 21, 2022
Mimi thread. Plaindealer = OP
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 21, 2022
Of all the drivel I've read about the conflict , OP's post has to be the most confidently ignorant and inane.

Please, if you know nothing about geopolitics, try to read and learn from different sources.

Television (as it is today) will not help you .

Peace.

5 Likes

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 1:22pm On Apr 21, 2022
topcatking:
[s]Of ask the drivel I've read about the conflict , OP's post has to be the most confidently ignorant and inane.

Please, if you know nothing about geopolitics, try to read and learn from different sources.

Television (as it is today) will not help you .

Peace.[/s]
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 21, 2022
[quote author=989900 post=112146254][/quote]

I'm glad you agree with me wink
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Wisfem: 1:44pm On Apr 21, 2022
Reposition your frustration or so called advice to US and other western allies to Recognise the treaty instituted by all world powers in which they are signatory to, if they finally provoke China to attack the mini Island in Taiwan, they will only indulge in smear campaigns like this
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by joyandfaith: 2:03pm On Apr 21, 2022
989900:
Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country and moving towards advancing as a modern industrialized country. He couldn’t have that on his doorstep.

Why? Not because of any security threat. No one wants to invade Russia. No, it’s because he couldn’t stand the Russian people seeing the rise in standard of living that the Ukraine was going to see. He couldn’t stand for his people to see how much more pleasant living in a free and democratic country would be.

NATO expansion had nothing to do with it (Russia already shares borders with NATO or within NATO's reach, and taking Ukraine would only bring NATO closer to Russia anyway). Just like it had nothing to do with his invasions of other countries either.

Russia has limited warm water ports, and a navy that’s near collapse with no more than a dozen fully functional capital ships, a half dozen attack submarines, and eight modern missile submarines. It’s air force has few gen 5 fighters.

Russia has basically zero capability to mount expeditionary warfare (as we see in Ukraine). The logistics system is badly designed, rife with the same corruption issues, and largely only capable of defensive war.

Russia’s biggest enemy though isn’t the US or NATO. It’s Russia's own paranoia combined with the attitude of a schoolyard bully. Russia was welcomed by the west back in the 1990’s. Today, Russia could be like a combination of Poland and Norway -- even better had it wanted to be.

A nation with rich natural resources slowly working to throw off the legacy of communism, but it chose a different route: It chose to be an asshole to her neighbors and then wonder why people don’t like them anymore.

Russia's eternal (Russia's been taking her neighbors' territories for centuries) covetousness for her neighbors' territories, the all-year-round navigable ports of Ukraine, the oil and gas in Crimea and eastern Ukraine, land connection and water to Crimea after illegally annexing same in 2014, amongst many other things is driving this madness.

Absolutely on point. Mistake West made in 90s was welcoming Russia to west and agreement with Ukraine to surrender her nuclear arsenal to Russia.
Thriving democracy especially in country like Ukraine which is second largest country in Eastern europe is a threat to putin dictatorship.
This war will achieve 3 things-
1.Boundaries would be adjusted and people would be resettled with new cities built.
2.Freedom for Ukraine as the country will join Europe Union. Though Putin complained some weeks ago that EU is NATO economic department, Ukraine would be admitted to EU as soon as possible. Ukraine will able to enjoy economic relationship with EU and allies.
3. Russia will be alienated from the West and allies as bipolar or multipolar world would emerge.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Emmawhite91(m): 2:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
Can some one explain to me what the op meant here?
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Sirlancelort(m): 3:15pm On Apr 21, 2022
Your own don pass CNN, so are you trying to say that the Russian people are not seeing what other democratic countries outside Ukraine are enjoying?.

1 Like

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Sirlancelort(m): 3:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
Emmawhite91:
Can some one explain to me what the op meant here?

Don't bother yourself he is not saying anything.

1 Like

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 21, 2022
"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country and moving towards advancing as a modern industrialized country. He couldn’t have that on his doorstep."

So in other words you are saying Russia is jealous of Ukraine progress and development as a country abi? cheesy As if Russian itself is not develop and advanced, as a matter of fact Ukraine can be considered a develop country,( at least more develop than your country Nigeria cheesy), I dont have a problem in you trying to defend Ukraine or rather pointing out the cause of the war, but the writeup above is full of inconsistent errors and laugh-able facts which can hold no water whatsoever, I am pretty confident even the ukraineans would be nodding there head in this poor attempt of yours in explaining they cause of there conflicts, I believe you can do better than this........ cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 7:20pm On Apr 21, 2022
Johnnycastro18:
"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country and moving towards advancing as a modern industrialized country. He couldn’t have that on his doorstep."

So in other words you are saying Russia is jealous of Ukraine progress and development as a country abi? cheesy As if Russian itself is not develop and advanced, as a matter of fact Ukraine can be considered a develop country,( at least more develop than your country Nigeria cheesy), I dont have a problem in you trying to defend Ukraine or rather pointing out the cause of the war, but the writeup above is full of inconsistent errors and laugh-able facts which can hold no water whatsoever, I am pretty confident even the ukraineans would be nodding there head in this poor attempt of yours in explaining they cause of there conflicts, I believe you can do better than this........ cheesy cheesy

"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country . . ."

I'll assume you're smart enough to understand that, and won't need further assistance to absorb what that encapsulates.

Not to mention the small matter of Russia trying to steal via armed robbery roughly 80% of Ukraine's oil and gas.

That said, "laughable" is you saying so much without actually saying anything . . . any random individual can throw empty words around without facts nor substance like you just did . . . I'll like to believe "you can do better than this" too.

Cheers.
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 21, 2022
989900:

"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country . . ."

I'll assume you're smart enough to understand that, and won't need further assistance to absorb what that encapsulates.

Not to mention the small matter of Russia trying to steal via armed robbery roughly 80% of Ukraine's oil and gas.

That said, "laughable" is you saying so much without actually saying anything . . . any random individual can throw empty words around without facts nor substance like you just did . . . I'll like to believe "you can do better than this" too.

Cheers.

"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country . . ." ogah this statement of yours is the reason why I use the word "laughable" grin, is Ukraine the only country showing the so called signs of progress and advancement in Europe? Finland an European country sharing boundary with Russia is also showing thesame so called progress, and signs of advancement and is infact a Democratic country, why is Russian not invading or attacking them for that, Russia and even the western media's with all the propaganda going round, still admit the fact which we all know is the cause of the war "Ukraine decision to join NATO" and I believe there is no need adding any bogus narration that look silly on all ramifications, an end to the war is all what we are looking forward too . anyway cheers to you too, cheesy

1 Like

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 9:31pm On Apr 21, 2022
Johnnycastro18:
"Putin invaded Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country . . ." ogah this statement of yours is the reason why I use the word "laughable" grin, is Ukraine the only country showing the so called signs of progress and advancement in Europe? Finland an European country sharing boundary with Russia is also showing thesame so called progress, and signs of advancement and is infact a Democratic country, why is Russian not invading or attacking them for that, Russia and even the western media's with all the propaganda going round, still admit the fact which we all know is the cause of the war "Ukraine decision to join NATO" and I believe there is no need adding any bogus narration that look silly on all ramifications, an end to the war is all what we are looking forward too . anyway cheers to you too, cheesy

1. I actually didn't anticipate I'd have to breakdown advancing democracy in eastern European context to kindergarten level . . . you totally got the interpretation wrong.
And honestly, I shouldn't be having this discussion with you, if I have to come down to that level.

2. Russia has always been a threat to all her neighbors -- and it's been this way for centuries. Reasons why Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland all sharing borders with Russia joined NATO. Same reason Finland (I'll intentionally skip Finland's past suffering in the hands of Russia) and Sweden are set to join NATO any moment soon. Of all her neighbors, Ukraine is the least likely to be admitted into NATO 'cause it has present territorial disputes, which makes it totally unacceptable into NATO.

3. Ironically, Russia aligned and signed pact with NATO as far back as 1997 to partner with NATO.

4. If only you did read the entire original post and fact-check the points raised, you'd be in a better position to have an intellectual/factual discuss, but you didn't, which is a given around these parts: emotions over facts.
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by olugabbie(m): 10:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
989900:

Ukraine has never been a DEMOCRATIC state under Zelenszky. Zelenszky is an authoritarian leader, just like Putin.

Do your own research.

1 Like

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by olugabbie(m): 10:42pm On Apr 21, 2022
Sirlancelort:
Your own don pass CNN, so are you trying to say that the Russian people are not seeing what other democratic countries outside Ukraine are enjoying?.

Don't mind the guy. The West made him believe that Russians are hearing & sight impaired.

Some of them don't know that Russia is as advanced as the West. Likewise China. There is nothing they have in the West that you won't see in Russia.

3 Likes

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by olugabbie(m): 10:53pm On Apr 21, 2022
989900:

1. I actually didn't anticipate I'd have to breakdown advancing democracy in eastern European context to kindergarten level . . . you totally got the interpretation wrong.
And honestly, I shouldn't be having this discussion with you, if I have to come down to that level.

2. Russia has always been a threat to all her neighbors -- and it's been this way for centuries. Reasons why Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland all sharing borders with Russia joined NATO. Same reason Finland (I'll intentionally skip Finland's past suffering in the hands of Russia) and Sweden are set to join NATO any moment soon. Of all her neighbors, Ukraine is the least likely to be admitted into NATO 'cause it has present territorial disputes, which makes it totally unacceptable into NATO.

3. Ironically, Russia aligned and signed pact with NATO as far back as 1997 to partner with NATO.

4. If only you did read the entire original post and fact-check the points raised, you'd be in a better position to have an intellectual/factual discuss, but you didn't, which is a given around these parts: emotions over facts.

When the baltic states joined NATO, Russia was not a threat to them. Russia was extremely weak militarily and economically. The only thing Russia had then was Nuclear weapon.

After the dissolution of the USSR, all the states (including Russia) that emerged from the fall of the Soviet Union were extremely poor. The baltic states needed help and that was why they join EU & NATO.

Russia on the other hand was saved by Putin. He brought Russia out of the mess and made Russia super power once again. Today Russia is a energy, technology and military super power.

3 Likes

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 21, 2022
989900:

Here we go again going round and round in circles cheesy, well just a need to correct your last assertion in your statement above about me not reading your entire original post and fact-checking the points before commenting ( ogah I read everything) cheesy, I could have commented in other areas as well, but
I specifically choose to single the obvious part of your narration which offcourse is ridiculous and at best laughable, "Putin invading Ukraine because it was showing progress and advancement as a democratic country and moving towards advancing as a modern industrialized country." And about breaking down democracy in eastern Europe context to kindergarten level to me (or as u may choose to put it) i don't think there is a need for that,I am not that dumb cheesy
Ukraine is still an EMERGING democracy in that part of the word ( eastern Europe) and offcourse one of the poorest (which I know). Nevertheless I repeat stopping there full emergence as a full fledge advance democratic country, or mordenized as you may choose to put it, cannot be the basis for the present war, same Russia that is surrounded by another democratic country? I think it is pointless arguing cos at the end of the day we all would have our separates beliefs anyway, all thesame I want to believe a quick solution to end the present war in Ukraine is
our main objectives in all of this........peace.
Once again cheers cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Sirlancelort(m): 5:13am On Apr 22, 2022
olugabbie:

Don't mind the guy. The West made him believe that Russians are hearing & sight impaired.

Some of them don't know that Russia is as advanced as the West. Likewise China. There is nothing they have in the West that you won't see in Russia.
Lol
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by sunboy(m): 5:17am On Apr 22, 2022
Which kind weed you try na grin

Leave geopolitics alone if you have no idea, you’d do better in romance or poetic section grin

1 Like

Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 22, 2022
olugabbie:

that was why I told him, this his post is laughable grin, if Russia as a country is developed and advanced as a nation, is it the development of a very poor Ukraine as an industrialize nation that would make Russia to be jealous thereby leading them into starting a war with them (Ukraine) grin about ukraine making progress as a democratic country, that is also laughable, the same zelensky that have been accused in his country as been an authoritarian, arresting opposition political opponents and claiming
you are imitating democratic practices.....how many countries including this(Nigeria) that claims to practice democracy actually practice the democracy anyway?? when citizens have no freedom to protest,( and are shoot at if the dare too), abusing the constitution at will, and framing and arresting your political opponents as in the case of (Ukraine) be a basis or show of tenets of democracy?, what sort of democracy is that, democracy on paper cheesy
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 8:44am On Apr 22, 2022
olugabbie:

Don't mind the guy. [s]The West made him believe that Russians are hearing & sight impaired.
[/s]

Not everyone totally feeds of the media (mainstream or social). Cumulatively, I've spent over 20 years living in a few countries (west, middle east, and east alike), I've been to or through the two above mentioned countries . . . Some cities in Asia for example, have better infrastructure, more modern cities, etc. than the west, but all that is not HDI, it is not GINI, it is not the Palma ratio, it is not free speech, it is not freedom of association, and a host of other things.

Secondly, primarily, the original post if you read it correctly, was talking about Ukrainian strides as a budding and advancing democracy and by extension improvement in standard of living compared to Ukraine's past (which was of course previously stunted by Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea), and Russia's displeasure to that, as Russia seeks to still control all former Soviet states, by hook or crook -- Putin does the same too to his political opponents in Russia: murders, poisoning, incarceration, etc.

Thirdly, I am still trying to find the part that justifies Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine (a sovereign state), after the same Russia signed the Russia-NATO Founding Act in 1997 to protect fundamental human rights and territorial sovereignty amongst other things?

In the past 100 years, Russia would have invaded Ukraine some 3-4 times.
Russia did the same to Georgia in 2008.

Why are 90% of Russia/Putin's neighbors running away from them if Putin's Russia is not evil?
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 8:45am On Apr 22, 2022
sunboy:
[s]Which kind weed you try na grin

Leave geopolitics alone if you have no idea, you’d do better in romance or poetic section[/s] grin
Re: Russia's Biggest Enemy/threat by 989900: 9:07am On Apr 22, 2022
olugabbie:

When the baltic states joined NATO, Russia was not a threat to them. Russia was extremely weak militarily and economically. The only thing Russia had then was Nuclear weapon.

After the dissolution of the USSR, all the states (including Russia) that emerged from the fall of the Soviet Union were extremely poor. The baltic states needed help and that was why they join EU & NATO.

Russia on the other hand was saved by Putin. He brought Russia out of the mess and made Russia super power once again. Today Russia is a energy, technology and military super power.

Germany's economy is almost thrice that of Russia, despite the fact that Russia has landsize roughly 50 times the size of Germany, and produces averagely 10m barrels of oil/day not to mention gas, compared to Germany's almost no oil production (300,000 barrels or less per day).
Actually, Germany is a major feeder for the Russian economy.

California's (a state in the US) GDP is well over 2 times that of the whole Russia. Texas too has a larger GDP than Russia.

Russia's GDP is 5th in Europe, behind Italy even . . . Japan's GDP is over 3 times that of Russia.

If Nigeria were a country (apparently she's not), her economy would have been pushing roughly half that of Russia, or more.

Putin and his gangs of mafia have not done well for Russia, but bled her.

Bar nuclear weapons, so far from her Ukrainian voyage, Russia's military inadequacies have been thoroughly exposed.

Name 3 Russian products you or your friends, relatives, or neighbors use?

I have just one Nigerian friend in Russia whom I call, compared to hundreds in the west, how about you?

(1) (Reply)

Ukraine Serving Food Styled Body Of A Dead Russian Soldier / Sentenced To Death In Sharjah, United Arab Emirate For Robbery Crimes / Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg 'hacked Into Emails Of Rivals And Journalists'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.