Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,014 members, 7,953,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:24 AM

Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy (1947 Views)

Building Sealed By EFCC In Wuse 2 Abuja Is Not GTB Property / EFCC In Another N1.7b Scandal As Petitioner Vows To Expose Frmr, Current leaders / PHOTO: Man Petitions EFCC In A Unique Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 07, 2007
BREAKING NEWS:Presidency: EFCC Can No Longer Prosecute Ex-Governors

Last View on Tue 7th August, 2007
Last Modified on Mon 06th August, 2007 7:46:31 pm
Author: Admin Sahara

Presidency: EFCC can no longer prosecute ex-governors

As earlier reported by Saharareporters, it is now official. The Presidency today announced that all cases of corruption initiated by the EFCC and ICPC will have to be prosecuted by the office of Attorney General and Minister of Justice.

This was the outcome of series of meetings by the ex-governors led by Chief James Ibori with Umar Musa Yar'adua as reported by Saharareporters yesterday. Yar'adua is said to have assured Ibori of the decapitation of the EFCC as a "birthday gift", meanwhile Chief Ibori celebrated his birthday on Saturday. All the ex-governors were said to have jubilated over the decision of the federal government to take away prosecution powers from the EFCC and ICPC.

"It is victory for their investments in the Yar'adua presidency" billowed a grossly disappointed Nigerian, Chris Eneh.

Though the Presidency said the latest action was not intended to shield anyone, it runs counter to the past policy of the Federal government when the Attorney General and Minister of Justice would travel to the UK to depose to affidavits in support of the Metropolitan Police in London in their prosecution of former governors. It was the case with D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha and Joseph Dariye.

Chief Ibori and his ex-governors were busy celebrating the decision by Yar'adua in Edo State where a burial ceremony of another person was turned into his impromptu birthday bash last Saturday.

Our earlier story:

New Plan Afoot to Defang the EFCC

A number of former governors facing imminent prosecution for stealing billions of naira have come up with a plan to effectively emasculate the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Last week, some of the ex-governors held marathon meetings with Umar Musa Yar'Adua to put pressure on him to rein in the EFCC.

Saharareporters learnt that the move to gut the EFCC was spearheaded by former Delta State governor, Mr. James Ibori, and Kwara State governor, Bukola Saraki. Last week, the London Metropolitan Police received a nod from a British court to freeze Ibori's assets estimated at more than £20 million.

Upset that the EFCC had instigated the freezing of his ill-acquired assets, an irate Ibori pulled what he considers a joker during his meeting with Yar’Adua. Known to have ploughed N10 billion naira into Yar'Adua’s presidential campaign, Ibori warned that he reserved the option—if put under EFCC arrest—to open up about a few secrets. For one, he threatened to reveal how he was blackmailed by Obasanjo to fund the Yar'Adua campaign. According to our source, Ibori reminded Yar’Adua that Obasanjo had promised to spare him further investigation by the EFCC if he agreed to invest N10 billion in Yar’Adua’s presidential bid. He expressed dismay that Yar’Adua had allowed the EFCC to violate the terms of the deal.

Apart from being the main financier of Yar’Adua’s campaign, Ibori had also provided aircraft for use by Yar'Adua and members of his campaign organization. Jets from Wings Aviation Airline, owned by Ibori, were used to ferry Yar’Adua and his operatives to PDP campaign rallies across Nigeria.

Our source said Yar'Adua was aware of Obasanjo’s offer of protection to Ibori, but decided to demur after receiving disturbing security reports. One security report warned that a military coup was in the offing using as justification the pervasive corruption of ex-President Obasanjo and former state governors.

After reviewing the report with his security advisors, Yar’Adua invited EFCC Chairman Nuhu Ribadu and reportedly told him he was free to proceed with the prosecution of corrupt officials, especially ex-governors. Armed with the marching orders, the EFCC moved to begin the prosecution of the first batch of ex-governors.

Last week, the Army and the Navy retired a number of top military personnel last week. Both service arms denied that the retirements had anything to do with a coup plot.

Yar’Adua’s decision to allow the arrests of ex-governors was also influenced by another security report indicating that some former governors met recently with former Vice President Abubakar Atiku in Monaco, France. Atiku and some former governors were in Monaco to attend the wedding of Gilbert Chagoury, a Lebanese businessman. The Chagourys were close allies of former Nigerian dictator, Sani Abacha. Ibori and former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu, were among the guests at the multi-million dollar wedding extravaganza in Monaco.

The security report suggested that the ex-governors had talks with Atiku on how to move against Yar’Adua.

The former governors’ campaign to stifle EFCC may have come up with a strategic plan reportedly endorsed by Yar'Adua. Both Yar’Adua and the ex-governors recognize that Ribadu’s removal from the EFCC would prove highly controversial and hard to justify. Instead, they are working on a plan to limit the commission’s powers to “investigations only.” Under the plan, anyone found culpable of corruption would then be referred to the office of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice for prosecution. It would be up to the Attorney General to decide whether to proceed with prosecution—or back down.

The former governors are said to be in cahoots with the current Attorney General, Michael Aondokaa, who is a known ally of Atiku. Last week, Aondokaa addressed a widely reported press conference where he promised to rein in the excesses of the EFCC.

Last week, Ibori admitted to a Lagos newspaper that the London Metropolitan Police had obtained an order to freeze his assets. Seeking to play down the embarrassing setback, he described it as a "restraining order" that prohibits him from “interacting” with his assets in the UK, US and Canada.

Barring a stop order from Yar’Adua, the EFCC is on the cusp of closing in on the former Delta State governor. One source told Saharareporters that Ibori stole the most from his state treasury of all the former governors.

http://saharareporters.com/www/report/detail/?id=377

If anybody humiliate Ribadu any further and them no gree am do his job, make him deliver press conference and resign. Nigerians go protest his resignation.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by McKren(m): 11:32am On Aug 07, 2007
"The more you see the less you understand"

------------   Mallam Nuhu Ribadu 2006.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 07, 2007
Let us see how it plays out but i really do not think it is a good move.
All those of you complaining of RIbadau as a tool used by Obj hope you are satisfied or will you still complain about this ?
I really hope that this is not the end of the anti-corruption law which forward thinking Nigerians have all welcomed
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by McKren(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2007
God Bless Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

I dont think I can be patient enough to be him, if anything happens to Ribadu I will personally give up on Nigeria.

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Mariory(m): 12:10pm On Aug 07, 2007
Didn't the Supreme Court rule on this matter some time ago in favor of the EFCC and ICPC?
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Seun(m): 12:13pm On Aug 07, 2007
What is the source of this article? I'm sick and tired of asking this question!! angry angry
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by IykeD1(m): 12:23pm On Aug 07, 2007
This move was either designed to weaken the EFCC (forget ICPC, what is that?) or intended to douse
the argument that Ribadu is on a political witch hunt for Obasanjo and co. In any case, if it turns out
that it was truly intended to de-fang the EFCC , then Yar Adua may as well kiss his legacy good bye as
corruption is the number 1 killer of Nigeria today - not Oil refineries (or the lack of it), unity government,
Niger Delta crisis, or whatever populist agent he may have up his sleeves. We are watching. . .

To the Obasanjo haters, so what do you have to say for yourself now? I am sure you will find a creative
way to link Obasanjo to this new twist. This country will kill person if man pikin no take time jare . . .
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by McKren(m): 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2007
Iyke-D:

This move was either designed to weaken the EFCC (forget ICPC, what is that?) or intended to douse
the argument that Ribadu is on a political witch hunt for Obasanjo and co. In any case, if it turns out
that it was truly intended to de-fang the EFCC , then Yar Adua may as well kiss his legacy good bye as
corruption is the number 1 killer of Nigeria today - not Oil refineries (or the lack of it), unity government,
Niger Delta crisis, or whatever populist agent he may have up his sleeves. We are watching. . .

To the Obasanjo haters, so what do you have to say for yourself now? I am sure you will find a creative
way to link Obasanjo to this new twist. This country will kill person if man pikin no take time jare . . .

Such a very brilliant argument, however there is an obvious indicator to which of the extremes you pointed out above the presidency might be heading to.
The EFCC had concluded plans to prosecute Ibori this week, if in the next 1 month Ibori is not charged to court then it will be clearer where we are heading to.

Nigerians were yelling for independent EFCC but this move has simply made EFCC more dependent than it was.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by ono(m): 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
I need all the links to these so called Ibori assets. I for once believe that the EFCCs wings should be clipped - if not roasted and fed to the dogs

If the EFCC cannot bring OBJ to book, cannot bring IBB to book and cannot prosecute previous looters of our treasury, the treasury that was filled with the proceeds of sales of crude oil from Ibori's village and state, then to hell with this monster called EFCC.

I trust Umoru would not dare try anything stupid. He's got to clip the wings of that upstart called Ribadu. Nonsense.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 07, 2007
ono:

I need all the links to these so called Ibori assets. I for once believe that the EFCCs wings should be clipped - if not roasted and fed to the dogs

If the EFCC cannot bring OBJ to book, cannot bring IBB to book and cannot prosecute previous looters of our treasury, the treasury that was filled with the proceeds of sales of crude oil from Ibori's village and state, then to hell with this monster called EFCC.

I trust Umoru would not dare try anything stupid. He's got to clip the wings of that upstart called Ribadu. Nonsense.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so true true this man no fit talk without mention [size=16pt]oil?[/size]
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by mangrados(m): 1:46pm On Aug 07, 2007
I know this will come, it's the time i was not sure. Now the stage is set to bury the commission. Almost 80% of those in umoru govt will not want ribadu, why? simple. Foresight! If u get what i mean.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by ono(m): 2:04pm On Aug 07, 2007
You can say they don't have foresight. No wahala. Everyone is free to air his/her views in a democracy.

What is sure and here to stay is that EFCC will be flushed down the toilet soon. Just like WAI - War Against Indiscipline. We dey kampe dey watch as events unfold.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Danmasani(m): 2:25pm On Aug 07, 2007
@ Topic

I read with dismay too when I saw the reports in the Nigerian dailies this morning. Well Nuhu Ribadu's influence is definetly being curtailed with him now having to report to the AGF before arresting or persecuting anybody. But I am of the view that we should not immediately see this new development as an indication to curtail the EFCC activities. They said they are obeying a section of the constiuition--Lets agree with them for now and see if the EFCC will keep the tempo of persecution of corrupt public officers or if it's activities will dwindle and fade out. Lets give the action the Federal govt just implemented a benefit of doubt before outrightly disproving it
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by funloving(m): 2:27pm On Aug 07, 2007
ono:

You can say they don't have foresight. No wahala. Everyone is free to air his/her views in a democracy.

What is sure and here to stay is that EFCC will be flushed down the toilet soon. Just like WAI - War Against Indiscipline. We dey kampe dey watch as events unfold.

What is you argument ? That corruption should be allowed to continue the same way indiscipline has continued in our national lives ?

That until Obj and IBB are prosecuted other thieves, like Ibori, Igbinedion and Odili, all from Oil producing states, should be allowed to contiunue to enjoy their loot while the people they looted suffer and die in poverty ?

That because you are from the same state as Ibori, it is well and good for him not to be arrested for looting your state. Maybe you shared in the looting. Didn't I start a thread about Nigerians glorifying first class theives? Don't we have an example here ?

WAI died, but what did we gain as a Nation ? Chaos, disordeliness, lawlessness, etc

You want EFCC to die so that  corruption can continue. Simply becasue you are from an oil producing state.

Please lets use our head to think and our heart to reason, instead of allowing ourselves to be blinded by some bloody oil. The oil won't last forever.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by funloving(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2007
Seun:

What is the source of this article? I'm sick and tired of asking this question!! angry angry

Seun, did you read the article ? The link quoting the article is there ?
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by funloving(m): 2:31pm On Aug 07, 2007
Seun:

Seun, did you read the article ? The link quoting the article is there ?
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by ono(m): 2:35pm On Aug 07, 2007
@funloving,
Yes. Until OBJ and IBB are both brought to book by any agency, I will not believe in any sanitisation of the polity. I will not. Period. These two are the biggest thieves in the land. Prosecute Ibori and the rest, and you'll see that you're just scratching the surface of the wound. The koko is still inside.

As per oil. Yes, I can shout at the rooftop about it till tomorrow. I don't care. If you get tired about oil issues with me, just ignore me, attend to someone else's post. Just let me be.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 07, 2007
Ono

Please I dont mean to be rude, this no be Naija Delta matter or Oil.

Please I beg you to ignore my thread cause oil dey run through your veins.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by ono(m): 3:01pm On Aug 07, 2007
@mikeansy,
You're free to air your views. It's a free world. I believe you know me very well by now to understand that I seldom insult people on this forum - at least not until you push me to pulling the trigger!

As per ignoring your[b] thread[/b], I'm afraid I can't. It's no longer yours, the minute you post it on Seun's website.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by otokx(m): 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
IT appears the EFCCs wing has been finally clipped.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 5:04pm On Aug 07, 2007
Now we really know who owns Nigeria and its government! All fingers have never been equal.  Some fingers are above EFCC afterall.  God save Nigeria!!! No hope for the masses!!!  I think Ribadu still has some room for more humiliation and disrespect before he shamefully resigns!  I do not understand how someone can accept a job you have no power to do correctly or execute meaningfully.  All in the name of hanging with the big boys and trying to make some ye ye history?

Now let us see what EFCC has the power to do according to the "powers that will always be"!!!  Just like Okonjo Iweala, Ribadu will be made redundant gradually!!!  He only existed to prove to the outside world that Nigeria is fighting corruption.  Having settled some so-called debts around the "paris club" and "british club", EFCC is no longer valuable to the Nigerian government.  Besides, it did not do much for Nigerians anyway.  So what is the problem here  All iEFCC did was run around in circles breaking doors and most of its cases never made it to court.  So Mallam Nuhu Ribadu---Please re-invent yourself, so you can be more meaningful to Nigerians!!! If you do not operate independently and have the co-operation of the Nigerian Law Enforcement agencies and Judiciary system, you are wasting your time!!!!
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2007
ono:

grin

Famous words from Atiku-----------"if the head of the fish is rotten------
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by IykeD1(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2007

Now we really know who owns Nigeria and its government! All fingers have never been equal. Some fingers are above EFCC afterall. God save Nigeria!!! No hope for the masses!!! I think Ribadu still has some room for more humiliation and disrespect before he shamefully resigns! I do not understand how someone can accept a job you have no power to do correctly or execute meaningfully. All in the name of hanging with the big boys and trying to make some ye ye history?

Now let us see what EFCC has the power to do according to the "powers that will always be"!!! Just like Okonjo Iweala, Ribadu will be made redundant gradually!!! He only existed to prove to the outside world that Nigeria is fighting corruption. Having settled some so-called debts around the "paris club" and "british club", EFCC is no longer valuable to the Nigerian government. Besides, it did not do much for Nigerians anyway. So what is the problem here All iEFCC did was run around in circles breaking doors and most of its cases never made it to court. So Mallam Nuhu Ribadu---Please re-invent yourself, so you can be more meaningful to Nigerians!!! If you do not operate independently and have the co-operation of the Nigerian Law Enforcement agencies and Judiciary system, you are wasting your time!!!!

The above typifies the psyche of the confused Nigerian. I honestly don't know which side you
are rooting for on the issue. Are you implying that putting the EFCC under the AG will or should make Ribadu more independent now than he has ever being?
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by McKren(m): 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2007
Iyke-D

I hardly know of a more misguided and confused set of people as some Nigerians
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2007
Iyke-D:

The above typifies the psyche of the confused Nigerian. I honestly don't know which side you
are rooting for on the issue. Are you implying that putting the EFCC under the AG will or should make Ribadu more independent now than he has ever being?

I am on the side of the Nigerian masses constantly fooled by our government agencies.  Is it not enough to make you confused  When you cannot tell who is going to protect your rights or fool you.  Ribadu has never been independent and never had much support from the Police or Nigerian Judiciary.  At the end of every tenure, you have a disgraced IG of police.  So who is setting the examples here 

A common man may be imprisoned for embezzlement of funds from his company for almost 10 years and you have an ex-governor convicted internationally and locally for the same thing and he gets 2 years!!!  Well go figure whose side I am on!

Thank God I am not Ribadu! I would never have accepted the job, when you know you are going to play some stupid game of make believe, fighting corruption! The game of [b]"the more you look, the less you understand"----[/b]REALLY!!! Yes I am very confused because the Nigerian climate messes with my mind daily!!! No sense of direction!!!
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Danmasani(m): 6:03pm On Aug 07, 2007
BABEELOVE:

Now we really know who owns Nigeria and its government! All fingers have never been equal. Some fingers are above EFCC afterall. God save Nigeria!!! No hope for the masses!!! I think Ribadu still has some room for more humiliation and disrespect before he shamefully resigns! I do not understand how someone can accept a job you have no power to do correctly or execute meaningfully. All in the name of hanging with the big boys and trying to make some ye ye history?

Now let us see what EFCC has the power to do according to the "powers that will always be"!!! Just like Okonjo Iweala, Ribadu will be made redundant gradually!!! He only existed to prove to the outside world that Nigeria is fighting corruption. Having settled some so-called debts around the "paris club" and "british club", EFCC is no longer valuable to the Nigerian government. Besides, it did not do much for Nigerians anyway. So what is the problem here All iEFCC did was run around in circles breaking doors and most of its cases never made it to court. So Mallam Nuhu Ribadu---Please re-invent yourself, so you can be more meaningful to Nigerians!!! If you do not operate independently and have the co-operation of the Nigerian Law Enforcement agencies and Judiciary system, you are wasting your time!!!!

Bros what exactly are u trying to tell us?? I dont get it!1
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
I am, trying to tell you that we have no structures in place to execute meaningful programmes. What we have are chess pieces on a board used for selfish ends. Nothing beneficial to Nigerians! It is all a sham!!!! Including the EFCC!!!
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by McKren(m): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
Danmasani:

Bros what exactly are u trying to tell us?? I don't get it!1

Dont even bother pondering on it as he or she is not saying anything.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 6:13pm On Aug 07, 2007
McKren:

Dont even bother pondering on it as he or she is not saying anything.

Of course!  That is why our beloved Nigeria remains in a state of merry-go round.  In one door and out the other!  Garbage in, and garbage out! You cannot see anything in what I am saying because you are used to nothingness!!!  Please do not let me spoil you "euphoria"!  Enjoy! Afterall, this is a place where everyone must think alike and most agree with the whole bunch even where you are all drowning in hopelessness! 

PLEASE YOUR EFCC WAS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR IN THE BUREACRACY LONG BEFORE IT WAS BORN!!! IF YOU ARE JUST REALIZING THIS, THEN YOU GUYS ARE REALLY SLOWER THAN I THOUGHT. No wonder we fall for scammists everyday!

Now go to the other thread of and "smell the sweet wind" from a refuse dumpster smelling all over Nigeria. The sweet smelling wind of deception!!!!

Enjoy and Peace out!!!!
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
you are still yet to make a point.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by Roscodaddy(m): 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2007
The reason why Ribadu is quiet is that he has also eaten with the devil,the young man has helped himself to some of the meat given to him to keep,sources said he has a house worth over #80 million naira,as you all will observe he has been quiet for a while,abeg Nigeria na home video jo,the more you see,the less you understand.
Re: Burying The Efcc In Bureaucracy by BABEELOVE(f): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2007
Abi ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!! The more you look, the less you see and understand!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov. Akpabio Stoned With Satchet Water By Youths / Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: / Yar’adua To Attend Jumat Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.