Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,864 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise (11301 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 1:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
sley4life:

imp. It helps to determine the longevity of the vehicle. At least cars that have less mileage would have long span

So compare a rental ride that is travelling between Canada and America on a weekly basis with high mileage and a ride that has never seen proper maintenance with low mileage, what would you chose?

Note that the rental cars are well maintained, cos that is what pay their bills.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by mastro: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2011
I would add one thing about mileage, the most important thing is that it's correct, if the dealer is ready to clock the car what else would he be ready to do in order to sell the car.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by princeonx: 3:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
fhemmmy is at his best when it comes to auto so all am doing is to help my fellow dealer by just chipping in! Like he said, our government can help in reducing the cost at which cars get to Nigeria. I was just informed this morning by my clearing agent that it will cost me N580K to clear a 2009 Camry. That amount is about $3,700 enough to pay export for about 3 same cars from the US. So most times our duties is what push the car price up.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by princeonx: 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
Brand_new:
[size=15pt]My question now is, which is more important? Mileage or Use (accidented or not)I think a well used and maintained car with lots of mileage is still way better than a badly used and maintained car with low mileage, What do you guys think?[/size]
It will be kind of hard to just answer yes to one and no to the other in this your question. Your taught above is also correct and remember talking of high mileage cars mean we looked at it. For you to be looking at a car with 180k miles means it look/drive good and probably well maintain if not you won't even look at it. The problem now is trying to find a reason to convince yourself into buying it. Reasons like being cheap, or well taken care of but regardless your reason, the car looked good for you to have looked at it in the first place. And looking and driving good is also the reason why dirty dealers or exporters buy such cars with 190K miles and drop it to 80K miles. finally what people back home expect from a high mileage car in terms of price is not usually what it is in US/Canada. You can find a car with 125K miles and it only $400-$500 cheaper than the one with 90k miles while someone in naija will expect it to be N500,000 cheaper! it doesn't work that way. You can also go to a dealer and find two same car, year, make, and model for the same price while one has 75K miles and the other 69K miles and they hardly give a crap about colours like we do back home!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by occam(m): 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
Fhemmy and co, thanks for all the comments and advise. High mileage should not be the only focus, but overalll condition of the car.

The real issue is that most Nigerians want to buy an "off lease" vehicle at "lemon car" price. When you add the high fixed costs (Shipping & clearing), you'll have to budget minimum of N2 million to a vehicle in excellent condition. This is what people need to understand.

In the car business you get what you pay for. If the car is too cheap to be true, stay away or get an auto expert to assist before you make the purchase
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lastpage: 10:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
Sorry to digress but l guess it was "Jason" who mentioned the issue of "clocking down the Odometer"?

I am not an expert in auto repair but l guess that in newer models, those that use "digital electronics to compute Odometer readings", (unlike the old analog types), the impression l have is that you cannot Change it?

Even attempting to "tamper" with it would land someone in jail, anywhere in the "West", am l wrong?
So, woudl it not be adequate to be rest assured that the odometer reading of that 2009 Camry, is "as it is"?
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by princeonx: 1:02am On Jul 12, 2011
lastpage:

Sorry to digress but l guess it was "Jason" who mentioned the issue of "clocking down the Odometer"?

I am not an expert in auto repair but l guess that in newer models, those that use "digital electronics to compute Odometer readings", (unlike the old analog types), the impression l have is that you cannot Change it?

Even attempting to "tamper" with it would land someone in jail, anywhere in the "West", am l wrong?
So, woudl it not be adequate to be rest assured that the odometer reading of that 2009 Camry, is "as it is"?
Changing it is a felony and carries a lot of time in jail but believe it or not, its even easier to adjust the electronic digital one than the older type which you might need to bring out the whole dash to get to the clock.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by akanxpress: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2011
I appreciate that good cars cost fortunes and that the brand new ones brought into 9ja are stripped down versions, but the recurring issues in this thread that has not been identified is - Most 9jarians in alll their life never have up to Millions to afford these vehicles and Gov't is banning motobiles - like here in Uyo. Any idea that fingers prices of vehicles imported (new or toks ) as costly is spurred by Cars Dealers/Importers.
Must 9jerians continue to spend their lives watching thieving politicians, government and top business tycoons as the only fellows worthy of owing cars?
Should an average graduate that finishes school and work not dream of car till s/he become director, principal or whatever with access to bulky imprest?
In india, consciousness and efforts are geared towards affordable cars. We hear of Suzuki & Maruti Altos, Tata Nano.
fhemmy & others should admit that even in almighty Japan, we have category of cars called kei cars with engine capacity below 1L. some 0.3L, 0.6L, 0.8L
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto
These cars are cheap and meant for the masses and middle income category.
In Nigeria, persons with expenditure capacity of millions are RICH.
So I am tired of this standard of dismissing sincere and honest 9jerians with 200k, 300k, etc as unfit for car ownership.
Lets promote this Vehicles here in Nigeria please - that is what our standard of living warrants. It was so in Europe after world war 2, cheap cars were promoted. White men dont manufacture cars with our income situation in Mind
Airbags & Other Options - for most part of car history, men drove cars without airbags, so if cheaper cars are available without airbags, it is still good. It is better than trekking under rain/flooded street with cover shoes to work/market - or is it not true?
I don't welcome this mentality in NL - that you buy good toks for 4m or so or else trek
A businessman should come up with 200,000.COM - a platform where sellers and buyers of used cars at that price should meet and transact - it is just and idea
Summary: Yes we can get a car at cheap prices if we think and drive towards it, it is possible engineering-wise and business-wise.
More arguments welcomed
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2011
akanxpress:

I appreciate that good cars cost fortunes and that the brand new ones brought into 9ja are stripped down versions, but the recurring issues in this thread that has not been identified is - Most 9jarians in alll their life never have up to Millions to afford these vehicles and Gov't is banning motobiles - like here in Uyo. Any idea that fingers prices of vehicles imported (new or toks ) as costly is spurred by Cars Dealers/Importers.
Must 9jerians continue to spend their lives watching thieving politicians, government and top business tycoons as the only fellows worthy of owing cars?
Should an average graduate that finishes school and work not dream of car till s/he become director, principal or whatever with access to bulky imprest?
In india, consciousness and efforts are geared towards affordable cars. We hear of Suzuki & Maruti Altos, Tata Nano.
fhemmy & others should admit that even in almighty Japan, we have category of cars called kei cars with engine capacity below 1L. some 0.3L, 0.6L, 0.8L
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto
So I am tired of this standard of dismissing sincere and honest 9jerians with 200k, 300k, etc as unfit for car ownership.
Lets promote this Vehicles here in Nigeria please - that is what our standard of living warrants. It was so in Europe after world war 2, cheap cars were promoted. White men dont manufacture cars with our income situation in Mind
Airbags & Other Options - for most part of car history, men drove cars without airbags, so if cheaper cars are available without airbags, it is still good. It is better than trekking under rain/flooded street with cover shoes to work/market - or is it not true?
I don't welcome this mentality in NL - that you buy good toks for 4m or so or else trek
A businessman should come up with 200,000.COM - a platform where sellers and buyers of used cars at that price should meet and transact - it is just and idea
Summary: Yes we can get a car at cheap prices if we think and drive towards it, it is possible engineering-wise and business-wise.
More arguments welcomed

[b]I do appreciate your honest write-up . . . . takes a great mind to think great.
Yes, in China there are categories of cars, but guess what . . . . Chinese manufactures those rides and dont have to import much of them.
Yes, in India there are categories of cars, but guess what . . . . Indian manufactures those rides and dont have to import much of them.
Even in South Africa, they are able to enjoy more.
Sometimes last year, the Ghanaian govt was throwing a curve ball to that vehicle manufacturing plant in Nnewi with some good deals to move to Ghana . . . why cos they know they will be able to enjoy it and improve on it.

But what is our own good nation doing ? - Nothing . . . have you ever wonder why they doing nothing? it is all cos we have the masses that just like to suffer and yet smiles, i saw the pix on politics section yesterday of some guys with flooded homes and yet take pics and displaying peace fingers, some were even drinking beers and having fun . . . that is the kinda nation that we have,[/b]
Now lemme address the issue of how come people cant get a car of 300K Naira.

Nigeria do not produce, we only consumes.
1$ = 161 Naira
300,000 Naira is a lot of money, cos how many hard working citizen could boast of that, so please note that i duff my hat to those that have it and i do have so much respect for such people, however, the 300K Naira is only 1864$$, now let us break it down.

Let us assume we buy the ride for only X$$
We ship and pay for CTN fee = 1300$$
We will transport the ride to the port for like 300$$ Minimum
Send the BOL to Nigeria = 100$
Transfer cost of the money to Yankee or Canada = 150$$ cos the amount is little.
So far, we have spent 1850$$ and now we have 14$$ left to buy the ride and to clear the ride.

We dont deal with Cotonue at all, cos we dont have time for the smuggling that goes on there, and we like to give the best to our clients, so clearing of any ride from the Nigerian Port will be 230,000$$ which is even the whole budget of 300K Naira.

So tell me, how much would we have to buy the ride, i mean how much would the X$ above equate to, even if get the ride for free, we will still not be able to handle such budget . . . . . .

Mind you, we are in business to make money and make a living, and with all my above analysis, we are yet to account for my own profit on commission.

So help us beg the govt to send $$ back to 120N to 1$$, that will help the business.
Help us beg the govt to reduce the cost of clearing, there is not reason why one have to pay 230K to clear a 1996 Camry . . that is pathetic.
Help us beg the govt to get rid of the CTN fees.
Help us beg the govt to do something and not just get paid and have fun at the mercy of yours and mine.

So at the end of the day, i can see the day that Nigerians will arise and say enough is enough . . . MUBARAK never knew the day would come.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Sicherheit(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
akanxpress:

fhemmy & others should admit that even in almighty Japan, we have category of cars called kei cars with engine capacity below 1L.  some 0.3L, 0.6L, 0.8L
see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto
I don't welcome this mentality in NL  - that you buy good toks for 4m or so or else trek
More arguments welcomed

While I understand what you are saying and in a perfect world, it would work but let's ask ourselves this - How many Nigerian car buyers want to buy those cheap cars? They all want Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Acura, BMW and other big names cars. The dealers can promote and promote until the can promote no more, if the buyers don't want it they won't buy it. Until the buyers stop reaching for the stars with their meager budgets, they will continue to be dismissed. undecided
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 3:41pm On Jul 12, 2011
Sicherheit:

While I understand what you are saying and in a perfect world, it would work but let's ask ourselves this - How many Nigerian car buyers want to buy those cheap cars? They all want Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Acura, BMW and other big names cars. The dealers can promote and promote until the can promote no more, if the buyers don't want it they won't buy it. Until the buyers stop reaching for the stars with their meager budgets, they will continue to be dismissed. undecided

Great one.
Even if they wanna buy them, by the time you add shipping and clearing, it is already high.

Also, the Nigerian mechanic seems to be playing on the intelligence of the car owners, imagines mechanic telling people not to buy the V6 cos they cant fix them, and that is making all Nigeria too run for just 4 cylinders.

I just tire, for real
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by seal777(m): 5:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
@phemmmy,

You got my curiosity when you mentioned Nigerian Mechanics and V6 / 4 cylinder engines. I had the same experience when buying my first car but
went against my mechanics advice to get the V6 Camry and the experience is out of this world.

Doubt if i can ever drive a car less than 6 cylinder upward, its an awesome driving experience.

Its a choice, u like it ; U GO FOR IT.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by oblo(m): 7:53pm On Jul 12, 2011
^^ I second seal777 abeg!!!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Fhemmmy: 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2011
seal777:

@phemmmy,

You got my curiosity when you mentioned Nigerian Mechanics and V6 / 4 cylinder engines. I had the same experience when buying my first car but
went against my mechanics advice to get the V6 Camry and the experience is out of this world.

Doubt if i can ever drive a car less than 6 cylinder upward, its an awesome driving experience.

Its a choice, u like it ; U GO FOR IT.

6 Cylinder or more or nothing for me.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Piedpiper(m): 11:33am On Jul 14, 2011
Hmm, you can say that again!
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by atasteve: 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
So much has been learnt already. More,
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2011
Thanks all, you have been immensely helpful with your insights. The most important criteria that goes into buying a car is not the mileage on its own but a host of other factors in order of importance
1: Production Year: No use buying a cheap used 1987 Nissan Blue-bird in 2011 and expect it to live long on Nigerian Roads with heavy usage
2: Maintenance History: If the car has been treated well and the engine runs fine, there is a good chance it will do another 3-4 years even on Nigerian roads, that all depends on how well you keep the maintenance running. I just learned from a friend in Wisconsin that only Nigerians top-oil, he gets a total oil change when due
3: Taste: Fancy the new FULL-OPTIONS!, 2008 ML450? make sure your pocket matches your taste. no need holding out N980k (almost a million) and expect to get lucky with a used car that ranks in the N2m-N3m range - but miracles do happen in Nairaland Yahoo-yahoo land
4: Running Condition: A car in good shape (Engine/Tyres/Shocks) is far more important than a car with neat body-work, 10-disc player and chilling Air-Conditioning. You can measure how much you are willing to do without to get a car that matches your pocket
5: Mileage: The Almighty Mileage - a very important selling point for most NL Dealers. You can discount its importance after considering the other factors above
6: Price: Everything is negotiable - There is a Balance between how much a dealer wants to make from a Sale - 200% usually  grin (excluding duties/cost of shipment) and how well you know where that balance lies, do a lot of research using other car used dealers online and on the street and from friends to gauge this balance. with that you can negotiate your way to a good buy. No car Dealer wants to hold onto a car that long  - It keeps loosing value one-way or the other.
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by donlet(m): 9:35pm On Jul 25, 2021
lagerwhenindoubt:
I have been trying to land a sweet car purchase deal on Nairaland but have been discouraged for the following reason, Toks cars shipped from abroad are way too expensive (especially when they carry a valid VIN with a Clean title) it seems better to get a Nigerian-used that you have checked yourself.

I have noticed most car adverts that do not carry mileages are actually between 60,000km to 150,000km when i come for inspection and the dealer is not willing to reduce pricing based on mileage. I usually get the argument that it was neatly used and has no problem whatsoever as long as i maintain it well.

I recently went online to calculate the distance between Lagos and Kaduna by road - it is an impressive 729.62 km to 802.06 km if you start from Toll-gate -> Sagamu -> Ibadan -> Oyo -> Ogbomosho -> Illorin -> Jebba -> Bida ->Abuja FCT -> Kaduna

http://distancecalculator.himmera.com/driving_distance_from-kaduna_to_lagos_between_road_direction-8387.html

A car with mileage of 70,000km will need to have travel 88 trips (44 times back and forth) between Lagos and Kaduna  shocked Imagine how many trips a car with 150,000km has done and yet the price from the dealer will refuse to move from N2.2M.

I disagree that the inner and outer neat appearance of a car is not enough to justify a high mileage+high price on a car. Mileage will definitely have negative impact on the car's engine which is the most important part of the car.

I need to know why some dealers do not consider a high mileage a good enough reason to drop their (High) price. are there any other factors that reveal why one should accept a car with very high mileage?

Please I am interested in your views
Thank you

Dealers are selling what they bought.

If the car has been properly maintained and depending on the engine type 4 plug, v6, v8 etc.

V6 with high mileage is still very good if properly maintained.

V8 with over 200k mileage is still very good if properly maintained.

4 plug with like 150k is still good if properly maintained.

I bought a camry for 168k mileage 4 plug and i used the car for close to 10 years without changing the engine.

So there are many factors that determine whether a car is good or not.

If you are interested in buying a car that will give you peace of mind, i will advice you click on the link below to learn more

http://autonaijahub.com.ng
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Luckydubby7(m): 1:37pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nice
Re: How Important Is Mileage For Nigerian-used Cars: Dealers Please Advise by Badb0y4lyf(m): 7:06am On Aug 10, 2021
Fhemmmy:

[b]I do appreciate your honest write-up . . . . takes a great mind to think great.
Yes, in China there are categories of cars, but guess what . . . . Chinese manufactures those rides and dont have to import much of them.
Yes, in India there are categories of cars, but guess what . . . . Indian manufactures those rides and dont have to import much of them.
Even in South Africa, they are able to enjoy more.
Sometimes last year, the Ghanaian govt was throwing a curve ball to that vehicle manufacturing plant in Nnewi with some good deals to move to Ghana . . . why cos they know they will be able to enjoy it and improve on it.

But what is our own good nation doing ? - Nothing . . . have you ever wonder why they doing nothing? it is all cos we have the masses that just like to suffer and yet smiles, i saw the pix on politics section yesterday of some guys with flooded homes and yet take pics and displaying peace fingers, some were even drinking beers and having fun . . . that is the kinda nation that we have,[/b]
Now lemme address the issue of how come people cant get a car of 300K Naira.

Nigeria do not produce, we only consumes.
1$ = 161 Naira
300,000 Naira is a lot of money, cos how many hard working citizen could boast of that, so please note that i duff my hat to those that have it and i do have so much respect for such people, however, the 300K Naira is only 1864$$, now let us break it down.

Let us assume we buy the ride for only X$$
We ship and pay for CTN fee = 1300$$
We will transport the ride to the port for like 300$$ Minimum
Send the BOL to Nigeria = 100$
Transfer cost of the money to Yankee or Canada = 150$$ cos the amount is little.
So far, we have spent 1850$$ and now we have 14$$ left to buy the ride and to clear the ride.

We dont deal with Cotonue at all, cos we dont have time for the smuggling that goes on there, and we like to give the best to our clients, so clearing of any ride from the Nigerian Port will be 230,000$$ which is even the whole budget of 300K Naira.

So tell me, how much would we have to buy the ride, i mean how much would the X$ above equate to, even if get the ride for free, we will still not be able to handle such budget . . . . . .

Mind you, we are in business to make money and make a living, and with all my above analysis, we are yet to account for my own profit on commission.

So help us beg the govt to send $$ back to 120N to 1$$, that will help the business.
Help us beg the govt to reduce the cost of clearing, there is not reason why one have to pay 230K to clear a 1996 Camry . . that is pathetic.
Help us beg the govt to get rid of the CTN fees.
Help us beg the govt to do something and not just get paid and have fun at the mercy of yours and mine.

So at the end of the day, i can see the day that Nigerians will arise and say enough is enough . . . MUBARAK never knew the day would come.

Dollar to naira is now $1 to 500naira over %400 increase in the span of 10 years.
Milage is not a factor in buying Nigerian used car.
Only if you buying in less busy state with good roads like kaduna, ilorin , kano abuja ibadan enugu perhaps you will get a good nigeria used car and millage may say alot. But in lagos date of paper registration of the car and years its used in nigeria from two three years above I will be weary

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? / PAN Nigeria Higer Bus Bags Best New Auto Entrant Commercial Award / Watch A Magna Tweaked Tesla Model S With 3 Motors Drift On Snow & Wet pavement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.