Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,985 members, 7,821,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing (655 Views)

Nwabali: We are backing d Super Eagles to beat S'Africa - Chippa United Chairman / How Lionel Messi Is Positioning Himself As Number One Balloon D'or Candidate / Lionel Messi Wins Balloon D'or 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by KillerCrocodile: 2:42am On Apr 23, 2022
Van der Sar chooses Mane over Benzema for Ballon d'Or

The Senegal international has received backing from an unlikely source to win the individual prize.

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar thinks Liverpool forward Sadio Mane should be considered for the Ballon d’Or award ahead of Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema.

The retired Dutch shot-stopper, now chief executive of Ajax, says Mane has shown his importance to both Senegal and Liverpool this season but he is not getting the credit he deserves.

"Benzema Ballon d’Or? For me it’s no. Wait, there’s a player currently doing just as well as Benzema and no one is talking about him,” Van der Sar said, during a Twitter space last week as quoted by Africatopsports.

He added: “Do you know Sadio Mane ? Along with [Mohamed] Salah, Sadio has been Liverpool’s best player for several seasons now. If any player should win the Ballon d’Or, it’s him.”

That high praise for Mane, who has 19 goals and three assists in 42 games for Liverpool this season, over Benzema (38 goals and 13 assists in 38 games) has left opinion divided among fans online.

“Love Sadio but he's not even having the best season of the Liverpool front three. Liverpool without Mane would still be a top team, Real without Benzema would be in the Europa League,” said @bruceford27, who thinks Benzema is way ahead of Mane.

But @shotgunloverr disagreed. “Liverpool without Mane wouldn't be in the FA Cup final, would be maybe third, wouldn't have a Carabao Cup title. Senegal without Mane would not have an Afcon and aren't in the World cup. He's having a fantastic season,” he said, enumerating Mane’s recent achievements

“Mane is doing well but not as well as Benzema!! Benzema is higher,” responded @benramdaneomar9 with @RichYoung2020 also in agreement with him, “Benzema is doing outrageously well.”

@GottfriedEiseb feels Mane is up there with the best. “There are some idiots who will nominate [Lionel] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo again as top five candidates. Mane deserves a nomination for the top three,” was his assessment.

“Sadio who?” posted @Kamal1442, perhaps wondering why the Senegalese is being touted for the Ballon d’Or while @SirGoddey agreed with Van der Sar, saying briefly, “True statement.”

“Just the king,” said @Sm10Junior in support of Mane.

While Van der Sar’s sentiments are likely to raise further debate, there is no denying Mane’s importance to both Senegal and Liverpool, especially this year.

Mane scored decisive penalties for Senegal when they won a maiden Africa Cup of Nations title as well as sealing a World Cup ticket, at the expense of Egypt on both occasions, and his goals have kept Liverpool in the hunt for an unprecedented quadruple.

https://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/mane-over-benzema-for-ballon-d-or-van-der-sar-chooses/blt13369df6ec240a50

Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by OVB123: 2:53am On Apr 23, 2022
They will not consider him because he is a black man. They racially abused africa players in europe both in words and actions. I don`t think mane is not exempted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by God1000(m): 4:24am On Apr 23, 2022
He deserves it

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by MadamVanessa(f): 4:45am On Apr 23, 2022
shocked

George weah was just being lucky then, I don't think any African player will get to that level anytime soon.
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by vanida6: 5:36am On Apr 23, 2022
karim benzima anytime any day for ballon D'or
who is mane abegii skip em jhor
HALA MADRID!!
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by internationalman(m): 8:51am On Apr 23, 2022
No partiality or biased judgment here, but I think with all due respect Karim Benzema deserves this year balon d'or ahead of any player even though he singlehandedly knocked out my dear Chelsea..

People just love mane calm reserved and humble nature that's why they always want him to win individual award just like he won AFCON golden ball even though I think there was a more deserving player.

Salah on the other hand is hated by most Africans and Nigerians, maybe it's because he's light skin.. People might argue he's having a bad season but statically he's still way ahead of Mane this season and every season.

Mane is good, hell I even personally like him more and I would even say he's up there with Benzema but it's not every season we see a player scores 2 consecutive hattricks in the knock out stage of the champions league..
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by Ajibade123(m): 10:21am On Apr 24, 2022
he deserves to be in the top 3 at least
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by BlaqFaze: 11:02am On Apr 24, 2022
Abeg make una stop this black man nonsense...Mane isn't winning shit when Benzema is there. The Balón Dior seemed all certain for Lewandowski earlier this season but for someone to totally surpass Lewandowski in performance, men...atm Benzema is the rightful owner of that award.
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by uthlaw: 11:43pm On Apr 24, 2022
why nobody is talking about Kelvin de bruyne!
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by Kingcalls: 8:54am On Apr 25, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Abeg make una stop this black man nonsense...Mane isn't winning shit when Benzema is there. The Balón Dior seemed all certain for Lewandowski earlier this season but for someone to totally surpass Lewandowski in performance, men...atm Benzema is the rightful owner of that award.

If mane wins the Premiership and champions league and fa cup plus the Afcon he won ...let me see how Benzema will win it ... Blacks and inferiority complex .... Benzema is winning the only only because atletico and barca had a terrible first half of the season... mane has city and Chelsea to contend with all season .... France is the best team in Europe, Senegal is not even among top 3 African teams... Mane won them their first ever AFCON....
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by BlaqFaze: 9:54am On Apr 25, 2022
Kingcalls:

If mane wins the Premiership and champions league and fa cup plus the Afcon he won ...let me see how Benzema will win it ... Blacks and inferiority complex .... Benzema is winning the only only because atletico and barca had a terrible first half of the season... mane has city and Chelsea to contend with all season .... France is the best team in Europe, Senegal is not even among top 3 African teams... Mane won them their first ever AFCON....
I nor wan insult you sha but let me hand pick your nonsense...

First of all you used the word "if"...if Nigeria qualified for World Cup they would have won it undecided

Secondly, Benzema proved himself not only in Laliga but in the UCL(maybe Chelsea and PSG had a terribly first half of the season) and in the Euros/Nations league(maybe Portugal and Spain had a terribly first half of the season). grin

Thirdly, If we are using FIFA rankings, France is not the best team in Europe while Senegal is the best team in Africa with arguably the best players...in addition Senegal are the champions of AFCON which automatically makes them the best in Africa. So with this glaring stat, AFCON is easier to win for Senegal than Euro is if France.

Then lastly, what makes you think Mane deserves Ballon D'or, most of the competitors has more G+A and more influence in their respective clubs... Benzema, Salah (African), Mbappe (world cup winner neva win Ballon D'or na con Mane grin), Lewandowski, etc
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by Kingcalls: 9:59am On Apr 25, 2022
BlaqFaze:
I nor wan insult you sha but let me hand pick your nonsense...

First of all you used the word "if"...if Nigeria qualified for World Cup they would have won it undecided

Secondly,

Its like u are mentally sick in the head
Re: Sadio Mane Gets More Balloon D'or Backing by BlaqFaze: 10:09am On Apr 25, 2022
Kingcalls:

Its like u are mentally sick in the head
Mentally sick person better pass animal with phone

(1) (Reply)

Footballer, Buya Misses Wedding To Sign For Club, Send Brother To Represent Him / Heavyweight: Nigeria's Efe Ajagba Knocks Out Joe Godall In 4th Round / Fillipe Scolari (new Chelsea Manager)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.