Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week (15602 Views)

DisCos Reject Electricity Worth N1.5 Billion / Nigeria’s Power Transmission Hits All-time Peak Of 5,420.3MW / Power Generation Drops From 4,708.3MW To 2,938MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by IMASTEX: 5:51pm On Apr 25, 2022
subsidywise18:
Essentially, the DISCOS are not making enough money from end users to pay for excess power

1.Cost of power is too low due to tarrifs being kept below the cost of production(and the subsidy paid cannot cover the losses...even with subsidies, DISCOS still need an extra trillion naira)

2.30% of subscribers do not even pay for the power they use...government, rich and poor.

At the end, DISCOS have to reject power, or go into more debt.

Nigeria has to pay for power at the market price for all this to end. You want power, then pay the money for it.
Rather it is more of been paid via the fruad called estimated billing. If you can make money from doing nothing without been sanctioned or queried then why will they border to supply power. Secondly, who were these people & what experience have they for the job. It's just one of those political largesse after all. Give it to a competent hand with genuine political backing and see things change. And of course, if they couldn't cope why haven't they given it up.
Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by Yankee101: 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2022
Scrap all these nonsense and bring back NEPA
Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by ScamKiller(m): 12:34am On Apr 26, 2022
bankylan:
The way some you talk about what you have zero knowledge of is annoying. Tell me what Siemens and EKSOM will do in an industry where the market design in flawed and only few people in Nigeria have deep understanding of Power Systems and Electricity market.

What did Buhari do? I am talking as someone that is in daily contact with the Chief Technical officer to the FG on Siemens deal. You are blaming GEJ for privatization........but GENCOS have increased capacity as contained and required in their contract with BPE. The TCN that is whooly owned by the FG, what has been their performance over the years? Till date, there is no SCADA......Till date, there is no contract for anxilarry services. Till date, those in charge of regulation have no sense of direction. What has this government done other than signing PPAs with some new plants while our NIPPS are redundant.

Before you respond to me, get the most knowledgeable person in the power sector in Nigeria to help you argue with me on Power system and electricity market and the situation in NESI at large.

You are here shifting all the blames to the buyers of DISCOS as if they are responsible solely for the issues in the power sector. Do you know the imbalance mechanism in NESI and how Discos are even penalized for taking more than their allocation in their Vesting Contracts. Stop this blame game and seek for knowledge from those that know.

I have told your regulator what they need to do to improve the sector, but everyone including those in APC govt now are making some illegal money from the sector.

If you ask me, I will tell you that unless the knowledge gap is sorted, we will keep spending billions with no improvement in the sector. There are other issues like corruption and weak regulation, but the number one issue is knowledge gap. 99% of those working in the industry only have a narrow understanding of the sector. A liberalized electricity market is very complex and dynamic, and we need people with deep understanding of the technical, the economics, and the regulations.

Resoundingly accurate and concise commentary reflective of an insightful understanding and sharp grasp of the deep seated issues underlying Nigeria's power sector malaise. I have sent you an e mail request with a view to accessing your seemingly rich repertoire of information on this thorny problem. Thanks for such searing SITREP rendition!

1 Like

Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by uau(m): 11:08am On Apr 26, 2022
Correct

NaMe4:

You may be located in areas benefitting from special grids eg Okada has its own power station (a private setup) and there are areas that benefit from it as it's transmission lines runs into the city.

In GRA, only a few streets enjoy fairly good power supply.

Ugbor GRA axis - 3 hours on, 3 hours off at best!

Off Airport road, Iyekogba Estate and beyond, with the rest of the 90% of Edo, darkness!!!

Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by uau(m): 11:09am On Apr 26, 2022
It is not to be shared.

Build your own!!!

edoairways:

Really! Hope you would distribute some?
Re: DISCOs Reject 2,495.3MW In One Week by edoairways: 3:56pm On Apr 26, 2022
uau:
It is not to be shared.

Build your own!!!

So you wouldn't share even if you charge a fee?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Elderly Woman Says A Prayer For Asiwaju Bola Tinubu (video) / Rivers Killings: APC Calls For President Buhari’s Intervention / Hassan Tukur Arrested By EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.