Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,546 members, 7,865,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:41 PM

Rema Talks School, Switching From Gospel To Trap Music, And More - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rema Talks School, Switching From Gospel To Trap Music, And More (417 Views)

Rema Talks About His Upcoming Song With Drake / Sharon Adeleke Preaches The Gospel To Davido / Fans Beg DJ Cuppy To Quit Music And Enjoy Her Burnt Dodo Alone (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rema Talks School, Switching From Gospel To Trap Music, And More by LetDemKnow(m): 3:08pm On Apr 25, 2022

Rema joined popular TV host Ebuka Obi-Uchendu in a recent episode of Channels TV’s Rubbin Minds.

On the show, the Mavin Records act talked about returning to school, his new album, how he made the switch from gospel music to trap music, how he met D’Prince, and lots more.

Rema, whose debut album Raves & Roses opened to positive reviews, announced earlier on Twitter that he’d been offered admission into the prestigious University of Lagos (UNILAG).

When asked what course he’d be studying, he said: “Theatre Arts.” Ebuka also teased the 21-year-old singer, whose slight dig at the currently striking Academic Staff Union of Universities in Nigeria (ASUU) trended on the internet. Rema has been unable to resume at UNILAG due to ASUU’s ongoing strike.

According to the interview, Rema used to sing in his Christ Embassy church and headed the rap nation there. He revealed he made the switch, turning up for performances at political rallies, hitting up bars and lounges just so he could foot the bills at home following the death of his father and brother.

I was still in Benin when that switch happened. A lot of people thought that when I got signed, I started deviating.
No. Actually, life was tough in Benin. I’m not that guy to ask the people in church to pay me because I’m doing God’s work.
Right there in Benin, I started going to competitions, going to bars, lounges, political rallies; just trying to get on the stage and hold a microphone, to at least get sprayed some money to come back home and feed my family, because we were going through tough times.

He also shared how he met D’Prince, the event that culminated in his signing to Mavin Records. Rema reached out to Prince on Instagram, shared a couple of recorded carpool freestyles and he liked and reshared them.

It’s been an intense 3 years for the “Calm Down” singer, whose music has virtually reached every corner of the world. On Raves & Roses, he proved his international appeal, working with several international acts including American Pop and RNB sensation Chris Brown.

Rema’s also worked with many top artists from his home country Nigeria but revealed his intent to work with other fast rising stars like him including Fireboy DML, Joeboy, Omah Lay, stating that they talk and plan collaborations.

And FYI, for those who are wondering, Rema is still single, but is not actively searching and insisted during the interview that he remains very good friends with label mate Ayra Starr, whom he ocassionally posts on his social media, praising her for her talent and positive energy.

You can watch the full interview HERE.

https://mediarants.com/rema-talks-school-switching-from-gospel-to-trap-music-and-more-in-recent-episode-of-rubbin-minds/

(1) (Reply)

Temi Otedola Almost Calls Mr Eazi Her Husband / 5 Crazy Expensive Things Burna Boy Has Done (photos) / Burna Boy Faces Police Probe For The Second Time In Six Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.