Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,090 members, 7,821,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. (476 Views)

233k Pos Fraud / Please I Need Urgent Help On How To Track Him ( POS Fraud ) / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. by Onyewarri(m): 6:04pm On Apr 26, 2022
I was at a very popular commercial bank in port Harcourt today trying to sought out a CBN directive on my account. The process was taking longer than expected so my account officer offered me a sit in one of their offices. I was seated in midst of some members of staff of the bank.

Omo! My ears full. Most notable of the topics was the fraud cases that poured in. Within the period I was there, there were a total of 3 different cases totalling over 2.8 million naira. None of which the bank is liable for. So how did it happen?

Case 1. Through customer's phone, all her three accounts, two accounts with other banks where emptied. The thief even borrowed a total of 16k from loan companies with the person's sim card. Total loss was over 100k.

Case 2. Through ATM card. Customer transacted over 1 million in transfer with the back, Needed 5k cash for pocket money so he was asked to use the ATM outside, on getting to the ATM their was no money in the machine. He was about leaving when a POS lady met him and asked him to use POS just outside the bank's premises. He agreed and inserted his ATM card. He concluded his transaction collected his money and card and left. Moments later he started receiving several debit alert. He rushed back to the bank and was informed that the transactions was done through his ATM card. Upon investigation they realized that the POS girl had physically swapped his ATM card with another ATM card from the same bank, getting the pin was not a problem because she took notice as the man inserted it. The card he is carrying is not his. Total loss 700k.

Case 3, from another branch. Through ATM card. Mama went to use ATM machine. She had issues and called for help two ladies came to assist her. Mama concluded her transaction and went home. Next day she came rolling on the floor of the banking hall screaming "my money, my money" upon investigation they saw that there was some transactions through her ATM card. The ladies had noted Mama's pin and physically swapped her ATM card with another from the same bank. The card she is carrying is not hers. Total loss 2 million.

Somebody asked how did they withdraw so much? They don't withdraw that much. They shop. They go to big supermarket and electronics shop and buy whatever they can. Tvs, phones, sound system, laptops anything.

So it occurred to me. Apart from the first day my ATM card was issued to me, I haven't checked the name on it even though I use it in public outlets and POS at least once in 2 days. There and then I brought out my card and confirmed my name on it.
Re: New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. by 108adelani: 6:08pm On Apr 26, 2022
sad
Re: New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. by Onyewarri(m): 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2022
108adelani:
sad

Truly sad. Especially the old woman's case.
Re: New ATM/POS Fraud Alert!. by bigpicture001: 11:11pm On Apr 26, 2022
I blamme. The. Other two persons... Cuz they are standit there and somebody swap theiir cards...

But for. The old woman... Am sorry for her....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Men; An Endangered Specie. False Accusations Against The Male Gender / Have You Ever Been Betrayed/blackmail By Someone, Share Your Experience / Happening Now!! Kuje Prison Under Attack!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.