Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,984 members, 7,814,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister (5326 Views)

Kemi Adeosun ‘poorly Qualified’ To Be Finance Minister – The Economist / Kemi Adeosun ‘Poorly Qualified’ To Be Finance Minister – The Economist / Okechukwu Enelamah To Be Buhari's Finance Minister - TheNewsNigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Ferya(f): 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2011
World Bank managing director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala resigned her post on Friday in order to become Nigeria's new finance minister, spurring hopes of reform in sub-Saharan Africa's second biggest economy.

Okonjo-Iweala will take up an expanded position as Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance in Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan's new cabinet, World Bank President Robert Zoellick said in a statement.

"Her desire to serve her country is truly a big loss for the World Bank but a major gain for Nigeria as it works to craft its economic way forward," he said.

Government sources told Reuters two weeks ago that Jonathan had asked Okonjo-Iweala, a respected former finance minister who helped negotiate debt rescheduling in 2005, to return to her old position with broad powers over economic management.

Jonathan was sworn in for his first full term on May 29 following general elections and his ministerial choices are being closely watched by Nigerians and foreign investors keen for a team capable of driving badly needed reforms.

"We think President Goodluck Jonathan's selection of the World Bank MD will result in a vote of confidence for his administration, and suggests he is serious about initiating fiscal reforms," Renaissance Capital said in a research note.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/World/5729477-146/okonjo-iweala_quits_world_bank_to_be.csp
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Ferya(f): 9:08pm On Jul 09, 2011
http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/103352-ngozi-okonjo-iweala-quits-world-bank-to-be-finance-minister.html

I can't believe she resigned for her dear country. shocked Who else can do this? Please tell me?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by MeGaStReEt: 9:25pm On Jul 09, 2011
I can do it
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by born2boink(m): 9:29pm On Jul 09, 2011
Who will not do it, it is easier to steal money from Nigeria than the whole world himself, not to think of world bank, lol,if she has been stealing $1M from world bank monthly before, it will increase to $5M in Nigeria monthly, Believe me
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by OAM4J: 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2011
I wish her all the best of lucks for the sake of Nigeria and her future. I just hope PDP will let her succeed!

I wish to see how she tackles the deep rooted corruption in government cos i doubt there will be any meaningful result without fighting corruption.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 9:58pm On Jul 09, 2011
How many times will this story be recycled?

And whats with its elevation to front page?

Why dont you also move it to the tribalism section you bunch of incompetents. . . . .
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by aljharem3: 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2011
Sun of god:

How many times will this story be recycled?

And whats with its elevation to front page?

Why dont you also move it to the tribalism section you bunch of incompetents. . . . .

what an ideeiotic responds
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 10:03pm On Jul 09, 2011
alj_harem:

what an ideeiotic responds

When are you due to sit your 'WAEC' English exam?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by nasoeb: 10:08pm On Jul 09, 2011
the corruption in Nigeria is so high and it would only take God fearing and dedicated person to exist and make changes in the system.

because where even most boss are the head of corruption, how then can anyone easily achieve good result.

But i will commend her on the bold step she took.

that means she is either really ready to fight for the good of the country or she resigned so she will have ample time to loot.
i hope the former is the reason
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:13pm On Jul 09, 2011
with this responds of yours 'son of gods' envy wil be use to design your grave angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

with this responds of yours 'son of gods' envy wil be use to design your grave  angry

And when are you due to sit your 'Junior WAEC' English exam?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Mcleo007(m): 10:18pm On Jul 09, 2011
I think i feel happy for her.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Funkymallam(m): 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2011
Tipical Nigerians, someone resigned her enviable position in the world bank to serve her father land and this is how grateful we are. Some people here dont even have a job, talk more of a 9ce job, thats the reason they dont understand or appreciate the word 'resign'. Kudos Ngozi, we are proud of u
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Funkymallam(m): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2011
Sun of god or woteva u call urself, u sound like one of those pepetual waec candidates. Its bed time son,
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2011
Funkymallam:

Sun of god or woteva u call urself, u sound like one of those pepetual waec candidates. Its bed time son,

And yet another illiterate spewing grammar.

When are you due to enter secondary school?

Correct your English and then re-post. (Punk)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by londoner: 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2011
I cant wait to see the detailed plan of economic reform she proposes for Nigeria and the team she builds.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Obiagu1(m): 10:49pm On Jul 09, 2011
This is just crazy. Resign for Nigeria
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Decryptor(m): 10:50pm On Jul 09, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

I can do it
Well but u will never smell a job in "Microfinance Bank" how much more "World Bank"  tongue

born2fuck:

Who will not do it, it is easier to steal money from Nigeria than the whole world himself,  not to think of world bank, lol,if she has been stealing $1M from world bank monthly before, it will increase  to $5M  in Nigeria monthly, Believe me
Not everybody debases themselves to use their career to steal funds like most political office holders in Nigeria today just as not everyone is ill-minded and r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d to have a s.t.u.p.i.d profile name such as yours in forum sites like Nairaland!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is just crazy. Resign for Nigeria

I'm sure she's still on the 'World Bank' payroll.

(She's talented - but greedy)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by dempeople(m): 11:03pm On Jul 09, 2011
Sun of god:

I'm sure she's still on the 'World Bank' payroll.

(She's talented - [size=14pt]but greedy[/size])

How? 
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by claremont(m): 11:04pm On Jul 09, 2011
Nigerians and their attitude sef! Someone resigned from the World Bank to serve her country, rather than eulogize with her, we are cynically suggesting that she is going to steal, what a bunch of cynics! Some people are just so cynical that they want to infect everyone with their cynicism, a complete waste of breath and space indeed.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by Sunofgod(m): 11:14pm On Jul 09, 2011
dem_people:

How? 

On the one hand she talks about resigning from the world bank to serve Nigeria. . . . .

And on the other hand there are stories about her salary demands and currency it should be paid in. . .

If she really wanted to serve Nigeria whole heartedly, money wouldn't be an issue.

She's out for the maximum amount of money and recognition she can get for her talents.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by dempeople(m): 11:25pm On Jul 09, 2011
Sun of god:

On the one hand she talks about resigning from the world bank to serve Nigeria. . . . .

And on the other hand there are stories about her salary demands and currency it should be paid in. . .

If she really wanted to serve Nigeria whole heartedly, money wouldn't be an issue.

She's out for the maximum amount of money and recognition she can get for her talents.

. . . and would you have done otherwise if you were in her shoes?

What about her mortgage, kids' school fees and etc? Should she sacrifice all these for the sake of serving Nigeria? Where would she get the cash to pay for them?

We should be glad that someone as outstanding as her, could upon her magnificent career and experience, decide to perpetually demote herself to accepting a cabinet post.

She deserves all accolades.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by aljharem3: 11:27pm On Jul 09, 2011
Iweala God/Allah bless you a lot for doing this for us (that is if u do not loot like the rest)

all those haters like "Sun of god" can go hug transformer while you would be transforming our nation

We wish you and Goodluck(if u 2 do not loot) the best of luck and blessing for this nation

do it to the best of ur knowlege
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by whiteroses(f): 11:29pm On Jul 09, 2011
over half of the people that has posted here so far are worse than apes, the lady wanna serve her motherland they said she wants to steal. hunger no dey stangle everybody like you lot - monkey bananas
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by londoner: 11:42pm On Jul 09, 2011
Sun of god:

She backed down on the "jumbo pay" salary demand which, by the way I suspect would have been in the region of what she is being paid by the world bank. Instead she wants a free reign to chose the economic team and a broader role.

I honestly think that Nigerians are addicted to criticising. No matter the subject there is always a "glass half empty" attitude. This has to stop.

Sorry, but that attitude come across as pessimistic, and quite unrealistic if you ask me.

Nigerians need to stop trying to get their pound of flesh.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by queensmith: 11:47pm On Jul 09, 2011
Im yet to understand why people love this woman soo much.What difference has her influence or the WB reflection of Nigerias economy, made to each of your lives individually?
What new developments have u noticed that can be directly connected to herself or improvement of the nation?
Excessive media hype- How much are they going to pay her? How much of Nigeria will Nigerians own after shes done?

The country has only just started!! you all have no idea!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by aljharem3: 11:49pm On Jul 09, 2011
queensmith:

Im yet to understand why people love this woman soo much.What difference has her influence or the WB reflection of Nigerias economy, made to each of your lives individually?
What new developments have u noticed that can be directly connected to herself or improvement of the nation?
Excessive media hype- How much are they going to pay her? How much of Nigeria will Nigerians own after shes done?

The country has only just started!! you all have no idea!

i think the best thing we as Nigerian can do is to pray for her to do the right thing

she is already a pointed and there is nothing we can do about it
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by ebere1712: 11:53pm On Jul 09, 2011
Hopefully this means she has come to do her best. God help her and our young country. BTW Nigerians have the right to be the biggest cynics in the world. We have suffered enough.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by deadie(m): 11:55pm On Jul 09, 2011
alj_harem:

Iweala God/Allah bless you a lot for doing this for us (that is if u do not loot like the rest)

all those haters like "Sun of god" can go hug transformer while you would be transforming our nation

We wish you and Goodluck(if u 2 do not loot) the best of luck and blessing for this nation

do it to the best of your knowlege

Ha, something is wrong. alj_haram of Buharistan posting in support of someone from the SE? Someone call a psychiatrist please, this is abnormal.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by londoner: 11:56pm On Jul 09, 2011
ebere1712:

Hopefully this means she has come to do her best. God help her and our young country. BTW Nigerians have the right to be the biggest cynics in the world. We have suffered enough.

Nigerians have suffered largely by their own hand. at the very least they have been enablers of their "abusers".Its about time they took their share of that blame and responsibility for their part in the turnaround.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister by leuelliot(m): 12:13am On Jul 10, 2011
[size=16pt]Good for her[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

19-year-old American Arrested At The Airport On His Way To Join ISIS (PICTURED) / Reno Omokri Has Been Sacked / United States Disappointed With Buhari’s Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.