Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

How I Got To Know About My Nomination As VP To Buhari – Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Got To Know About My Nomination As VP To Buhari – Osinbajo (150 Views)

Tinubu Withdraws Ruby Onwudiwe Nomination As CBN Board Member For Supporting Obi / Sanwo-Olu: Tinubu Paid For My Nomination And Expression Of Interest Forms / Osinbajo: How I Learnt Of My Nomination As Buhari’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Got To Know About My Nomination As VP To Buhari – Osinbajo by MisterGrace: 2:27pm On Apr 28, 2022
THE BUREAU

In the run-up to the 2015 presidential election, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo described his nomination as running mate to then-candidate Muhammadu Buhari as "surprising."

When he learnt of his candidacy, he said he was working on a Supreme Court matter involving a defection of a federal politician.

On Wednesday, when he entertained members of the State House Press Corps to a breaking of fast (Iftar) at his Aguda Residence at the President Villa in Abuja, Mr Osinbajo related the story of his ascension.

"On December 18, 2014, I was working on the case in Peniel Apartments in Abuja when I received a call from Rauf Aregbesola saying they were coming to Lagos to pick me up at about 1 a.m".

"I stated I was in Abuja," she said. "Good because you've been nominated as the vice-presidential candidate," Mr Osinbajo remarked. "Is that how you nominate people?" he said.

After his case that day, the vice president returned to his lodging, he said. He stated he felt "that this is probably the final time I would be wearing it" after removing his wig.

He claimed that Mr Aregbesola, the current interior minister, and former Ogun State governor, Ibikunle Amosun, took him to Muhammadu Buhari, the presidential candidate, later in the day.
Mr. Osinbajo told the journalists that he was sharing his tale to show them how quickly one's life can change.

He stated that he has always believed in and worked for a better Nigeria throughout his life, and that his decision to run for president in 2023 will allow him to make a difference. He claims that just a few people have his level of training and experience.

He stated he met with governors, delegates, and party leaders both before and after announcing his candidacy for president. He did say that the Iftar with the journalists is the first with a group that will not vote in the party primaries.

When Mr. Osinbajo said, "I am probably meeting you for your money donation," his audience laughed.

"I'm not sure why you think it's a joke," he continued, eliciting additional laughs from the member of the press corps.

Following that, the vice president sought the backing of the journalists.

Ismaila Chafe, interim leader of the State House Press Corps, said several members of the corps have been reporting from the Presidential Villa for more than a decade.

"Presidents and vice presidents have come and gone." "However, we can state with great humility that you have made a difference in the way you have interacted with the State House Press Corps," Mr Chaffe remarked.

"We recall you gathering us here in this same hall not long after you took office for a very interesting interaction. That interaction has left an indelible impression on us. And you've kept a close relationship with the corps since then."

Mr. Chaffe stated that the press corps 'is highly' supportive of Vice President Biden's goals, particularly his'supporting positions to guarantee that this government leaves a lasting legacy.'

"As a corps, we will continue to fulfill our duty as objectively as possible," he stated.

Source: The Bureau

(1) (Reply)

MMM Ponzi Scheme Returns To Nigeria Via APC / Word On The Lips Of Particular Set "No Polling Unit In Social Media" / Farah Dagogo Set To Regain Freedom, Lawyers Threaten Contempt Proceedings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.