Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,317 members, 7,829,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. (5001 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / Ever Been Emotional While Watching A Movie? / The X Factor 2010 (who's Watching) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Abuloma80(f): 3:27pm On Jul 11, 2011
Entertainment and to see other 9ja scene & culture.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 7:03pm On Jul 11, 2011
if you're talking about the more recent movies, as in late last year to early this year, I find them actually worth watching because the plot is much more complex and realistic than their predecessors.

If you're talking about anything that came before June 2010, ha! I hardly watch them at all and when I do, it's to laugh at the poor acting, simplistic and unrealistic story lines, horrible, ear itching soundtracks, hilarious special effects and piss poor production. I'm talking about those ones that they squeeze like fifty people's pictures into the poster and have hilarious names like; "who killed my husband's sister?" (question) or "the back end of the lion's den" (phrase). Those ones that have like twelve parts grouped in twos, for example "terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 1 & 2), "the rise of the terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 3 & 4), "the fall of the terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 5 & 6), "the return of terrible sisters 1 & 2 (parts 7 & cool, "the end of terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 9 & 10) and "the final terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 11 & 12). And if you're unlucky, they may still release "terrible sisters reborn 1 & 2" or "the re incarnation of the terrible sisters 1 & 2". The sisters would probably be.played by Ini Edo and Uche Jombo. Those movies are only good for serious laughing a.
The worst are those movies that involve foreigners. The white men end up being those Lebanese refugees that used to litter Lagos.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Ruq: 7:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
Frustration, or when there's nothin happenin on TV.

Or if it's a main frame production (not all sha)
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by lepasharon(f): 7:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
iv noticed hausas have deir own movie hindustry, imagine angry
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by freshera: 7:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
clemcykul:

they are hilarious, an average nigerian is a comedian. cool grin
AS IN! grin

@topic, The films are hilarious, 'Emi Nire Kan' is an example.

I saw some film posters recently, 'Tea and Coffee', 'Omo olomo larin ero', 'Hot Potato'. Mehn.

Yoruba films are good, sha, REALLY, REALLY GOOD. Too many moral lessons to gain. I watched 'Mawole' recently and I realised that the days of Nigerian films reducing IQ are long gone.

If I had dough to spare, I would gladly donate to the industry cos they are trying, both Yoruba and English.

It's a pity the marketers control everything including quality.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by juman(m): 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2011
Entertainment and learning
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by executinal(m): 8:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
I am currently watching, after the movie i will comment. Just be Patience, i will be right back  wink grincheesy cheesy
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by executinal(m): 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
freshera:

AS IN! grin

I saw some film posters recently, '[b][b]Tea and Coffee'[/b][/b], 'Omo olomo larin ero', '[b][b]Hot Potato'[/b][/b]. Mehn.

Yoruba films are good, sha, REALLY, REALLY GOOD. Too many moral lessons to gain. I watched 'Mawole' recently and I realised that the days of Nigerian films reducing IQ are long gone.

If I had dough to spare, I would gladly donate to the industry cos they are trying, both Yoruba and English.

@Bolded loi grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by executinal(m): 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2011
lepasharon:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
lepasharon:

Firewood lol
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 11, 2011
i dont watch dem,
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by THEAMAKA(f): 11:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

if you're talking about the more recent movies, as in late last year to early this year, I find them actually worth watching because the plot is much more complex and realistic than their predecessors.

If you're talking about anything that came before June 2010, ha! I hardly watch them at all and when I do, it's to laugh at the poor acting, simplistic and unrealistic story lines, horrible, ear itching soundtracks, hilarious special effects and piss poor production. I'm talking about those ones that they squeeze like fifty people's pictures into the poster and have hilarious names like; "who killed my husband's sister?" (question) or "the back end of the lion's den" (phrase). Those ones that have like twelve parts grouped in twos, for example "terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 1 & 2), "the rise of the terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 3 & 4), "the fall of the terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 5 & 6), "the return of terrible sisters 1 & 2 (parts 7 & cool, "the end of terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 9 & 10) and "the final terrible sisters 1 & 2" (parts 11 & 12). And if you're unlucky, they may still release "terrible sisters reborn 1 & 2" or "the re incarnation of the terrible sisters 1 & 2". The sisters would probably be.played by Ini Edo and Uche Jombo. Those movies are only good for serious laughing a.
The worst are those movies that involve foreigners. The white men end up being those Lebanese refugees that used to litter Lagos.
you should be a comedian. i was reading your comment and now I'm in tears. OH MY GOSH! you spoke my mind. this is among the top 5 issues plaguing Nollywood. there is one movie i watched recently that had 6 parts! THE FIRST TIME EVER! i couldnt believe it. it was 3 different movies, each having part 1 and 2, and every part being rougly 42 minutes if you take out all the commercials that run for 15 minutes. it was not even worth it in the end.

as for the part in red, #DEAD! have you seen White Hunters? NOT ONE guy was white. only one looked white, but I'm sure he was Lebanese, due to his accent.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

lepasharon:

their movies are still Nollywood, just their own genre.

freshera:

AS IN! grin

I saw some film posters recently, 'Tea and Coffee', 'Omo olomo larin ero', 'Hot Potato'. Mehn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjTY_zGEP8&feature=related
her eyebrows dont help matters either  cheesy
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Desola(f): 1:20am On Jul 12, 2011
Nollywood is a Biafran achievement, not Nigerian. Yes, they created job opportunities for their kinfolks so they should be proud. Even so, they should be thankful for their hosts in Lagos who gave them a free hand to run their business.

Nollywood, I reiterate, is ibo, made by ibos and for the ibos.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by tpia5: 1:22am On Jul 12, 2011
^are all igbos biafran by association?

biafra isnt even an igbo word.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by KayDee4: 2:44am On Jul 12, 2011
To have a good laugh grin and therefore, only ones starring : Osuofia, Aki and Paw Paw, Mr Ibu and some other clowns whose names I cant remember for now. If its not comedy then i aint rocking it. cheesy
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 3:11am On Jul 12, 2011
If yorube movies start having those flashy environments in them, it'll surpass Nollywood by far because Yoruba movies has more moral lessons and better plots.

The thing is, we tend to film 99.9% of our movies in the villages. Still love them tho.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by THEAMAKA(f): 3:24am On Jul 12, 2011
HATERS  grin cheesy
yes, Igbos are no longer in Nigeria. DUMBASS
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by agitator: 8:25am On Jul 12, 2011
Only watch because of my babe.

I was watching LAND OF SHADOWS, and there was a flashback scene, men see as everybody was rocking sack cloths and living in modern buildings. Even the King was in sack cloths but his palace was a modern block building with POP ceiling. I was like what the fork!!!!!
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Shown:

For Entertainment, no other reason.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by pynkspyce: 4:52pm On Jul 12, 2011
b-o-r-e-d-o-m
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by offor2010: 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2011
I am an American woman and I love Nollywood movies. It shows me a little about my husbands culture.
I got my children hooked on watching them as well.
Keep on doing what you are doing Nollywood. smiley

"Proud Wife of a Nigerian Man"[b][/b][color=#770077][/color]
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by larryhomie(m): 1:16am On Jul 13, 2011
The reasons are simple, Its ours. No one else would watch it for us

Movie critics and reviewers are wanted for a huge upcoming nollywood wood review website. Basically, you would need to watch films and review them, thats all. There might be guidelines to follow because of the way the site is structured. I cannot paste full details here as we don't need crowd.

Send an email if you are interested to larryhomie@yahoo.co.uk with subject 'Movie review' and i would get back to you.

I look forward to receiving you guys
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by lepasharon(f): 7:30pm On Jul 14, 2011
i dont like wat is happening to nollywood,the films r becoming too sexualized they just wanna be all sexy on screen angry and its all about fashion parade ,the women with deir everning dresses goin 2 d market,the trending lace front weave dat doesnt even luk good nd most of it is nt even done welll angry most of d themes dont make sense anymore angry
its either about sleeping with dis and dat,bitching anotha chick,its just silly.Yes im a young person nd im saying dis bt i prefer d films from back in d 90s,the women where covered up nd the storylines where sensible nd dat Muna obiekwe is a fagggot 4 buming another guy on screen angry kmmt i dnt like wat dese actors r doin
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by THEAMAKA(f): 7:42pm On Jul 14, 2011
lepasharon:

i dont like wat is happening to nollywood,the films r becoming too sexualized they just wanna be all sexy on screen angry and its all about fashion parade ,the women with deir everning dresses goin 2 d market,the trending lace front weave dat doesnt even luk good nd most of it is nt even done welll angry most of d themes dont make sense anymore angry
its either about sleeping with dis and dat,bitching anotha chick,its just silly.Yes im a young person nd im saying dis bt i prefer d films from back in d 90s,the women where covered up nd the storylines where sensible nd dat Muna obiekwe is a fagggot 4 buming another guy on screen angry kmmt i dnt like wat dese actors r doin

i have to agree. many look like prostitutes on screen. their nasty lace wigs, the clubbing outfits they wear (ALMOST EVERYWHERE), and many of them have tattoos. im not saying anything is wrong with tattoos, but is that a new trend to get hired in Nollywood? many look CHEAP from head to toe, and i wouldnt be surprised if they slept with the producers or the director to get that job. they're not really acting, its more sexualized than anything. i guess thats what they're good at undecided
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2011
Boredom
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 14, 2011
as for the part in red, #DEAD! have you seen White Hunters? NOT ONE guy was white. only one looked white, but I'm sure he was Lebanese, due to his accent.

Stumbled on White Hunters at my friends house this weekend and i took it home to watch.
What a joke. They even used a light skined Nigerian as a white man. We have a long way to go.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by tpia5: 8:58pm On Jul 14, 2011
They even used a light skined Nigerian as a white man

hey, we have to make do with what we have. cheesy
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by THEAMAKA(f): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2011
BlueDiva:

Stumbled on White Hunters at my friends house this weekend and i took it home to watch.
What a joke. They even used a light skined Nigerian as a white man. We have a long way to go.
yeah, he looked mixed or something. LOL. Nigerians man grin
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
White hunters was so pointless.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Times Must One Play 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? / Your Best Indian Movies Of All Time / Oprah Winfrey Insults Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.