Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos (36056 Views)

A Street In Onitsha After Heavy Rain / Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Honeycity(f): 7:45am On Jul 11, 2011
what i witnessed in some part of lagos yesterday really gave me nightmare all the way from abule egba, Gbagada kingsway road, ikoyi to lawskool and lekki was a very scary experience.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by sayso: 7:56am On Jul 11, 2011
Honeycity:

what i witnessed in some part of lagos yesterday really gave me nightmare all the way from abule egba, Gbagada kingsway road, ikoyi to lawskool and lekki was a very scary experience.

and what was that?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Honeycity(f): 7:57am On Jul 11, 2011
sayso:

and what was that?
as regard the topic. sad
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by CyberG: 8:00am On Jul 11, 2011
Drought is killing whole countries (Somalia, Ethiopia. . .) at ~10/day while Nigeria is swimming in this incredible resource! I wonder if this can be processed and exported in any kind of way? Yes, it must be absolutely impossible to lay a pipeline of water to East Africa or fly it by airplanes but if there was technology to upload the water into the atmosphere and download it in East Africa for a fee? That would be a lot of foreign exchange for Lagos and other parts of Nigeria! grin grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Skii(m): 8:04am On Jul 11, 2011
CyberG:

Drought is killing whole countries (Somalia, Ethiopia. . .) at ~10/day while Nigeria is swimming in this incredible resource! I wonder if this can be processed and exported in any kind of way? Yes, it must be absolutely impossible to lay a pipeline of water to East Africa or fly it by airplanes but if there was technology to upload the water into the atmosphere and download it in East Africa for a fee? That would be a lot of foreign exchange for Lagos and other parts of Nigeria! grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Myself2(m): 8:08am On Jul 11, 2011
CyberG:

I agree with you big time

The same way I wish drought could kill of some terrorists without a cause in some parts on Nigeria cool rather than just killing peaceful Somalis and Kenyans
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ICHINONYE(m): 8:11am On Jul 11, 2011
S.O.S  S.O.S  S.O.S  S.O.S HELP US B4 ITS LATE,IF U HAVE D CONTACT OF NEPA,HELP CALL NEPA TO PUT OFF THE LIGHT PLSSS

( LOCATION IS AGUDA OFF ADETOLA ROAD SURULERE LAGOS)

THE PROBLEM IN SURULERE NOW IS DAT D RAIN IS STIL DROPING,PLSS U GUYS SHUD CALL PHCN TO PUT OFF D LIGHT,D CABLES RE ALREADY IN D WATER WHICH MITE CUSE ELECTROCUTION ANY TIME NOW N PLSS U GUYS SHUD HELP ME CAL FASHOLA TO COME TO OUR RESQ,D CANAL S BLOCK N HOME RE FLOODED,SINCE DEY CANT CLEAR OR CANAL MAY B DEY SHUD CAL A HERBALIST TO HOLD THIS RAIN B4 PPLE START DYING

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ICHINONYE(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2011
more pic
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ibx1976: 8:17am On Jul 11, 2011
This would have prompted state of emergency declaration in places like UK and USA
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked I'm ma go get ma self a Boat!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by BeautfulB(f): 8:35am On Jul 11, 2011
mehnnnnnnnnn, is a pity
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by rave2u: 8:40am On Jul 11, 2011
Nigeria is a FAILED STATE! Something like this cannot be prevented but its impact can be minimized!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Mobinga: 8:47am On Jul 11, 2011
So, tell me, which Lagos is working?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 8:54am On Jul 11, 2011
For you guys who live outside nigeria you will want to know that it has rained every day so far this month in the southern part of Nigeria, and its still going to rain for a long time to come.

Also its not only lagos that is experiencing floods almost every city in the southern parts are experiencing floods.

But the flood in lagos are more devastating because Lagos sits on a delta and on the mouth of the Ogun River. Not to mention its low height above sea level and bad infrastructure.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/monthly/LOS:9
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Niseed(m): 8:54am On Jul 11, 2011
It saddens me deeply to think that people or more importantly
Lagosians equate this atrocity to a "natural disaster" and not what it truly is.
A monumental failure by the present and past administration. How in the world can you claim
To be building a mega city when you cannot even perfect the primitive art of contructing and building channels to drain water?
What's even more ironic is the fact that the city is situated right next to oceans,seas,lagoons etc. It doesn't take a rocket science or einstein to
Figure out you can pipe the water into our waterways.
I barely made it back to my place of residence yesterday and know and saw many others
Who didn't. It was a sight by the famous lekki tollgate the amount of cars broken down on that stretch,women crying because they were stranded in their cars and some even with young children.
Where was the famous road side assistance"truck" to help?? They cannot even cope with 5 cars breaking down on their toll road which surprise surprise had no channel for the water to drain into the sea that's just beside it.
Cars worth millions were strewn all around ahmadu bello rd. Some with broken axels because there was no indication of gutters, many more in gutters etc.
What's even more ironic is located in this area is the school of maritime,naval dockyard,the police barracks and not one of these outfits could provide
Cones or even use crude sticks or barrels to indicate to drivers where the gutters were.
So yes this is a disaster quite all right but the only thing natural about it is our natural approach to bad leadership and planning.
I will end this by saying I hope all major investors pull out this farce that is lagos state because it clearly cannot gurantee or safeguard the lives of it's own citizens,why would they care about others (I might be wrong on this).
We are more interested in painting and building ridiculous buildings and undertaking projects we simply cannot maintain simply to gloss over our failings and appear like a peacock when in reality the state is truly an ugly duckling.thank you
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by satani23: 9:01am On Jul 11, 2011
As a witness, what i saw yesterday can be described as the worst floodin ever in Lagos state since the state began to exist. I saw cars being washed away, PLASMA tv smimming in ater, Electricity metre dancing in the flood. We had to house 9 different families over night since our apartment as on the second floor. I shed tears when children under 7 years were crying for help.

Up till 8pm last night, i was calling the PHCN contrl room to wsitch off all Electricity connection till this mornming other wise pple would die of Electric as metre and Life tension wires were being socked in the flood.

All these happened yesterday 10th July 2011 on the Island. I don't know of Lekki, Ajah and other parts of Lagos.

Lagos should cease to exist as a state whilst we all move to Ogun and Oyo state
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by dustydee: 9:06am On Jul 11, 2011
wow! Terrible. The earlier we look for a solution the better.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by prettyG: 9:10am On Jul 11, 2011
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by 9icest: 9:12am On Jul 11, 2011
prettyG:

Man no go die now. Abi grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by igbsam(m): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2011
We woke up dis morning pulling bodies out of Iyana Ipaja canal. So many bodies have been washed down dis canal. The one dat shocked me most was a sight of a woman with her baby on her back both dead. A man on suit clinging to his bible, already dead. Yesterday, right before my eyes, a woman slipped while trying to cross a street filled of water and before you know it, she's already gone, washed down the gutter, While trying to rescue her by stretching to her a plank of wood, she let mistakenly let go and here we are watching her being washed down in force with her head smatching anything that tends to stop her from being washed off, I still can't get the sight off my head. How do i overcome dis nightmare ? please help,
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by candylips(m): 9:29am On Jul 11, 2011
this is horrible
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by beautylash: 9:32am On Jul 11, 2011
igbsam:

We woke up dis morning pulling bodies out of Iyana Ipaja canal. So many bodies have been washed down dis canal. The one dat shocked me most was a sight of a woman with her baby on her back both dead. A man on suit clinging to his bible, already dead. Yesterday, right before my eyes, a woman slipped while trying to cross a street filled of water and before you know it, she's already gone, washed down the gutter, While trying to rescue her by stretching to her a plank of wood, she let mistakenly let go and here we are watching her being washed down in force with her head smatching anything that tends to stop her from being washed off, I still can't get the sight off my head. How do i overcome dis nightmare ? please help,

GOD HELP US!!!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by DAY12(m): 9:32am On Jul 11, 2011
Reporting From Lagos Island, Keffi, Awolowo Rd.

We need a boatman to take us to work undecided
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by abes(m): 9:34am On Jul 11, 2011
The rain is not stopping until Thursday. It's high time people started taking weather forecasts serious.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Lagos/forecasts/latest
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by samtoye(m): 9:37am On Jul 11, 2011
This Abeokuta Express way with submarines, this is just a warning to us but as we all know nothing would be done.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by beautylash: 9:41am On Jul 11, 2011
prettyG:

This is lovely, i missed lol
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by adielsol(m): 9:45am On Jul 11, 2011
igbsam:

This is so terrible. The Government should wake up to their responsibilities. Our people should be extra-cautious in these trying times!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by georgem(m): 9:47am On Jul 11, 2011
men God help us, rain rain go away let dry weather step in. please all be careful. watch twice before you step over any drainage area or before you dip your legs into any water. check to see that there is no electric cable droping in or no elctric power around. please be careful
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by monosetale: 9:53am On Jul 11, 2011
God please help nigeria. .i wonder if fashola wasn't doing nothing at all like most other governors what would have become of lagos. .lagosians i wish y'all the best as you guys try pulling out of this mess
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 11, 2011
Wow!!!, All i ma say is wow
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by eghost247(m): 9:59am On Jul 11, 2011
Representing Mainland

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by DAY12(m): 10:04am On Jul 11, 2011
^^^

Wat is d situation over dia? embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night / Oyegun Formally Replies Tinubu: "Your Allegations Are Reckless And False" / Bola Tinubu In Action On The Football Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.