Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,477 members, 7,861,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:07 AM

Can She Ask For A Refund? Help - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Can She Ask For A Refund? Help (1727 Views)

Why Do Girls Ask For Xes After Energetic Dance? / Ask for any Brand New Car For Sale / Top Of The Range Honda Accord 06 - Has All You Could Ask For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by sultan003(m): 9:47pm On Jul 10, 2011
Recently, My mum bought a Toyota Rav 4 2003 model (American Used) at the rate of 2.6 Million naira, through a car dealer, from cotonu.
when the dealer delivered the car, he told her that, she has to remove the brain box so that it will dry out. Also the driving mirror was missing, and the gearbox was faulty. Two weeks later the engine crashed.

N.B. This car was a wedding gift to my sister and it was delivered on the day of her wedding, so there was no time for evaluation etc.

My question is, can she ask for a replacement, or refund?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Lexusgs430: 10:18pm On Jul 10, 2011
When buying used cars, the principle of caveat emptor should always be @ the forefront !!!
@ The point of delivery, when the buyer realized the car was not as described, why did she accept delivery ?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by inspiredm(m): 10:48pm On Jul 10, 2011
Used Cars are SOLD AS IS

Your Sister can Ask the Dealer to Pick the Bills for Some of the Repairs, If the Dealer is a Nice Guy he Will Oblige.

This Story Doesn't Sound Plausible to me, You get a Car and the First Thing You do is to Take out the Brain Box for it to Dry ?

Did the car Swim from Cotonou to Nigeria ?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by sultaan(m): 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2011
You paid  N2.6m for crap, took delivery, so you have an expensive problem.

You should never have to touch your brainbox, transmission is yours to fix because it was a used car.

The engine going out is probably your fault, you must have a check engine light, never checked oil level.

Consider this a lesson of buying from a good source for that price and getting to know how to maintain a car.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by EuroMeko(m): 3:51am On Jul 11, 2011
It depends. When the vehicle was purchased, was their a warranty/guaranty on the vehicle from the dealer?

It doesn't matter if the vehicle is used or not, it could still have a warranty from the seller. If it does have a warranty then ask the seller, if it does not, then the seller has no obligation to assist.

N2.6M is about $17.5k and that's about a $10k care here in the US.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by annisboy1(m): 6:37am On Jul 11, 2011
@ sultan003,
         Why buying from Cotonou when you can get the same type of car in Lagos at the same amount. Those Cotonou dealer are deceiver they have done the same to my neighbor, my advice for people is to be buying cars on Nigeria soil.
  I am very sure the dealer in question should be responsible for all the damages but most will tell you, you should be thanking your God for seen a car, what if custom seize the car, this is what they told my neighbor. I wish you best of luck when next buying a car.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by sultan003(m): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2011
Thanks Thanks for the replies,

This is the fifth car that she has gotten tru this dealer, and d only one with problems.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by cretin: 9:21am On Jul 11, 2011
2001 to 2003 rav4 are known to have brainbox and transmission issues,toyota worldwide issued a tsb/recalled the affected models, there is a thread on nairaland on the issue, guess thats probablly what happened to ur car.

also paying 2.6m for a 2003 rav4 from cotonu is rather not wise!!! tongue
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Hotestspot: 10:10am On Jul 11, 2011
If the car is to be repaired; i would advise that the brainbox should be checked first if it defective (probably a toyota recalled tsb for affected models).2001 to 2003 toyota rav4 are known for defective brainbox which if not replaced with a good one or otherwise repaired by an expert will definately damage the gearbox.
Buying a new gearbox may not be the solution; first of all check the brainbox. All the best.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by xcalag: 12:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
sorry about the issue but the dealer should take a share in the cost of repairs and repairs to be done in his custody if he wants to be fair and if he also has his name to protect. you also need to be sure he is replacing the brainbox meant for the car.
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2011
sultaan:

The engine going out is probably your fault, you must have a check engine light, never checked oil level.

Brother Sultaan, I disagree.

I've been in the automotive industry for a very long time. Not all engine failures are due to CEL being ignored. The majority of mechanical failure are not linked to electronic issues, that will throw a CEL. Worn big-end or main bearings is the greatest culprit. An engine with excessive play in the big-end bearings (the connecting rod-to-crankshaft bearings / journals) will self-destruct in a very short time, especially if maximum revolutions are used. The big-ends will let go, ending with the engine coming to a stop. It may still run, but will be rattling like mad. If this is ignored, and the engine is loaded up, the next thing that happens, is the connecting rods/s and piston/s will smash a hole in the side of the engine block.

Most big-end / main bearing wear can be attributed to poor maintenance. Dirty oil, degraded oil, or simply not enough oil to sustain the rotating mass at higher rpm's. If this Toyota Rav-4 was bought in poor condition (as in already knocking, engine filled with a mixture of thick grease and oil) there would be little way of knowing, initially. It would sound good, till it was driven long and hard enough, to melt / thin out the grease / oil mixture. Then it'll start to rattle. This is a very common scenario, when dishonest traders "doctor" a faulty car before selling on.

The most major electronic issue that could trigger a CEL, and if ignored could result in engine destruction, is a faulty Lambda Sond (o2) sensor. The engine is likely to run dangerously lean at high temperature and rpm. Over time, detonation will occur, which will eventually result in damaged piston crowns (melted). If the detonation is severe enough, and occurs when a particular piston is on the compression stroke, it could also bend a rod, causing the rod / piston to exit the engine block through a window that wasn't there from the factory. Very noisy, and messy.

In Sultan003's case, I'm pretty confident his engine failure was due to mechanical failure, due to the issues I raised earlier. Sadly, I doubt he can seek any form of redress. He should have rejected the car, as soon as the word "brainbox" was mentioned, and he found a mirror missing. Why would anyone accept a wreck like that, with, as he claimed, a faulty tranny?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by slayer01: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2011
nice thread, siena!

i hv noticed a change in my engine sound, as high speeds above 50mph, the engine roars louder and harsher than it normally does,
what do u think cud be wrong?
i change the oil every 2500miles, so i dont think its oil
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 12, 2011
slayer-01:

nice thread, siena!
i hv noticed a change in my engine sound, as high speeds above 50mph, the engine roars louder and harsher than it normally does,
what do u think cud be wrong?
i change the oil every 2500miles, so i dont think its oil

What make and model car do you have, Slayer? And what year, engine size does it have?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by slayer01: 11:15am On Jul 12, 2011
its a toyota 2002 rav 4,auto, 4wd, 2,0ltr engine,

prior to that noticed that the clips of the air intake box was broken and the air intake box had a slight opening at the side through wch air was entering the engine, i was happy when i saw that, thinking that it was the cause, but alas, after fixing the clips, the noise is still there!
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 13, 2011
^^^ Slayer, it's difficult to work out what your engine sounds like at high rpm. Is it possible to record a short sound clip, and post it on here?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by hbrednic: 8:34pm On Jul 13, 2011
no
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 14, 2011
hbrednic:

no

I don't get you. Are you also Slayer-01?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by slayer01: 12:01pm On Jul 14, 2011
@siena, am not so sure that recording the sound wud help/be conclusive

hv had the car for about 3yrs now, so i know every lil squeak or sound she makes, hv had some1 drive in the car, and he said he doesnt see any thing bad about the sound!, but i know my car, so i know that the sound has changed, its sounding somewhat like u gat a small hole/leak in ur exhaust system, n its only pronounced at high revs.

like 4 months ago when i went for routine checks in toyota place [the sound hasnt started by then], the technician gave me a bill of 150k, for changing the front bearings and back shock, said they were bad, am wondering if there is a way of checking the bearings myself, note its a 4wd, so the jacking up and rotating the wheels thingy wudnt work, n i dont hv the jack for that particular ops

siena, u cud post ur comments here, dont wanna derail this posters thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-713213.0.html#msg8715096
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by hbrednic: 1:37pm On Jul 14, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Slayer, it's difficult to work out what your engine sounds like at high rpm. Is it possible to record a short sound clip, and post it on here?
the answer is simple, "NO" THEY CANT ASK FOR A REFUND.
who on earth is slayer
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by sultaan(m): 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2011
150k for bearing and shocks?! shocked

Even a US dealer won't charge that much.

Its probably the beginning of an exhaust leak, how is your idle speed holding?
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by cretin: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2011
@sultan the idle speed is fairly ok, hovers around 700 -900 on idle, and around 2500 btw50 n 60mph, though on some occasions, i wud hv low rpm of 300 - 450, cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve previously
hv crawled under the car, to search 4 leaks.but no show.

pls you cud write ur suggestions on this thread, dont wanna derail this fella's thread'

nb:do you an idea of the symptoms of bad plugs?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-713213.0.html#msg8715096
Re: Can She Ask For A Refund? Help by johnime: 1:02pm On May 28, 2018
i do not do mails
sultan003:
Recently, My mum bought a Toyota Rav 4 2003 model (American Used) at the rate of 2.6 Million naira, through a car dealer, from cotonu.
when the dealer delivered the car, he told her that, she has to remove the brain box so that it will dry out. Also the driving mirror was missing, and the gearbox was faulty. Two weeks later the engine crashed.

N.B. This car was a wedding gift to my sister and it was delivered on the day of her wedding, so there was no time for evaluation etc.

My question is, can she ask for a replacement, or refund?

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2005 Toyota 4runner With Leather Interior: N2.9m / 2005 Lagos Cleared Nissan Pathfinder is SOLD / I Want To Give Out Loan Of 200,000 .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.