Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,230 members, 7,846,089 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike (427 Views)

People's Reactions To ASUU Strike In Funny Meme Collection / Mary Folafoluwa Oginni, Best Student In WAEC Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike / Lady Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike Graduates From UK With 5.0gp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by Voldoz: 9:21am On May 01, 2022
Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Saturday called for a speedy and amicable resolution to the months-old Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) strike.

He made the call in a statement celebrating Nigerian workers on the occasion of this year’s May Day.

The statement was signed by his spokesperson Ola Awoniyi.

“Nigerian workers deserve our appreciations and respects for their contributions to the development of our country,” Lawan said.

“I also salute them for their patriotic cooperation with the government and and other institutions in the collective efforts to address societal challenges.

“There is no gainsaying the fact that Labour creates wealth for the nation, the more reason that the welfare of the Nigerian workers should always be accorded priority.

“As Parliament, the National Assembly will continue to partner with the Organised Labour in addressing issues that affect workers and the generality of the Nigerian people.

“Despite the prevailing challenges, the relationship between Labour and the Government should be cooperative in the overall interest of the country.

“In the spirit of May Day, I appeal for a speedy and amicable resolution of the ongoing negotiations between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) to ensure that our universities reopen for learning and research.

“We should always be mindful that no society can make meaningful progress without industrial peace and harmony.

“Once again, I say congratulations to all Nigerian workers and wish them a happy May Day.”

On March 14, the union extended the industrial action by another two months to allow the government meet all of its demands.

The academics are seeking improved welfare, revitalisation of public universities and academic autonomy among other demands.

One bone of contention for the academics is the non-payment of university revitalisation funds, which amounts to about N1.1 trillion.

But the Federal Government has said it doesn’t have the money to pay such an amount, citing low oil prices during the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

The agreement was reportedly struck in 2009.

Another is the issue of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS).

The academics have proposed an alternative payroll system, the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

Source:
https://www.channelstv.com/2022/04/30/labour-day-lawan-seeks-speedy-end-to-ASUU-strike/

Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by tayewomi(m): 10:02am On May 01, 2022
useless rubber stamp!!!Why can't you summon the president and his gang of Yahoo boys parading themselves as ministers... Schooling in nija is just waste of resources..
Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by Voldoz: 11:39am On May 01, 2022
tayewomi:
useless rubber stamp!!!Why can't you summon the president and his gang of Yahoo boys parading themselves as ministers... Schooling in nija is just waste of resources..

Bro you are very � correct all of them are just playing ping pong with Nigerian students even ASUU themselves but FG are the main cause of all this.

1 Like

Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by tayewomi(m): 12:08pm On May 01, 2022
Voldoz:

Bro you are very � correct all of them are just playing ping pong with Nigerian students even ASUU themselves but FG are the main cause of all this.
I'm a Fed uni student,since 2020 i wrote jamb I've not finish 100L first semester In 2022 going to 2023,is that not a witchcraft..If i could see a way to collect my fees bk i would av drop out jejely.... Thanks boss
Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by HELLASJ(m): 12:14pm On May 01, 2022
It'll only take God's intervention after that, a real time rehabilitation and reorientation to avert and liberate Nigeria from this mess we are in.

I'm open for volunteering job(construction) in Abuja. I'm a final year student and would like to gain more experience.

Please contact me via
dskyprince01@gmail.com
Thank you!
Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by Voldoz: 2:17pm On May 01, 2022
tayewomi:
I'm a Fed uni student,since 2020 i wrote jamb I've not finish 100L first semester In 2022 going to 2023,is that not a witchcraft..If i could see a way to collect my fees bk i would av drop out jejely.... Thanks boss

That's how it is here what pains me the most is that we have to different sets of 100l in our school due to that COVID-19 strike.

No one really cares about the strike even ASUU no one wants to make the move. If ASUU are really serious they would have collaborate with NANS to carry out mass protest (who knows, they might end up killing protesters just like Lekki toll gate incidents).

The government is wicked, heartless, shameless, a disgrace and stupid.

1 Like

Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by tayewomi(m): 2:39pm On May 01, 2022
Voldoz:

That's how it is here what pains me the most is that we have to different sets of 100l in our school due to that COVID-19 strike.

No one really cares about the strike even ASUU no one wants to make the move. If ASUU are really serious they would have collaborate with NANS to carry out mass protest (who knows, they might end up killing protesters just like Lekki toll gate incidents).

The government is wicked, heartless, shameless, a disgrace and stupid.
God will save us ooo,Let's keep watching out till May 14
Re: Labour Day: Lawan Seeks ‘speedy’ End To ASUU Strike by Voldoz: 2:41pm On May 01, 2022
tayewomi:
God will save us ooo,Let's keep watching out till May 14

That's it let's hope and pray.

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Strike : Nursery 1 Pupil Joins Students In Protest Against Strike (photo) / To Study, Live, & Work In Canada / How to Order (Statement Of Purpose and Others) on Gigdraft.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.