Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy (761 Views)

❗Inspecting A Vehicle At Pre-Purchase Is A Different Ball Game❗❗❗ / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? / 10 Important Tips On Inspecting A Car You Want To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by fineboynl(m): 3:35pm On May 02, 2022
Some time you don't need to tell anyone or invite a mechanic. And also most time we often forget to check all the thing we should have check. But when we list them down like this and check them one after the other with a good sign marker and failed sign marker we could make a good conclusion at the ends of the inspection.

1, Check engine compartment (ensure everything is intact and in the right place they should be. No wiring running up an down. Although this depends on your budget for the said car)

2, Check under the car for rust. (Ensure there are no rust and minimal discoloration underneath the car. Check the under side if the engine too)

3, Check the boot ( look for sign of dirt and oil stain in the compartment, as this are sign of abuse and problematic car especially if all the tools to repair car is there)

4, observe the interior and exterior (if there are any damage. And make sure they are minimal, also check sign of filler and repaint especially accident impact area like the bumpers)

5, Start the engine several times( note the engine should start at once not at many attempt.)

6, go near the exhaust (and check sign for smoke or smell. If there are smell of unburnt fuel or carbon odor)

7, check the sound of the engine ( if the engine is silent or unusual sound, also check for sign of jerking or engine vibration.)

8, check all the lights ( both headlight, inner light, traffigator and brake light, including dashboard for all the signs and signers if they are working correctly. And all this will determine your bargaining chip)

9, check the doors and handles ( if they open correctly and observe the sound they makes when you jam the doors)

10, VIN (do a Vin check for the car history)

11, Scanner (put in your scanner and check for error codes, the error that appear will also determine your bargaining chip )

12, Papers ( check the paperwork, ensure they are original and authentic including custom clearance paper, if car is registered also verify plate number)

13, Check the Oil ( ensure the oil is not dirty, check for sign of contamination, it's a sign. Of abuse )

14, Test run the car on highway ( observe the gear selection and for any unusual sound or noise, jerks and all that, make sure the engine has power and run smoothly)

4 Likes

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by DoggoneDogg: 3:40pm On May 02, 2022
[s]
fineboynl:

3, Check the boot ( look for sign of dirt and oil stain the compartment as this are sign of abuse and problematic car especially if all the tools to repair car is there)
[/s]

This is stupid.
You might as well say that the car has caught fire before if we find fire extinguishers in it.

5 Likes

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by fineboynl(m): 3:44pm On May 02, 2022
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

This is stupid.
You might as well say that the car has caught fire before if we find fire extinguishers in it.
when a car have slept days or severally at a mechanic workshop. The boot tend to be dirty with oil stain and all that. And mechanic tools

3 Likes

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by DoggoneDogg: 3:46pm On May 02, 2022
[s]
fineboynl:
when a car have slept days or severally at a mechanic workshop. The boot tend to be dirty with oil stain and all that. And mechanic tools
[/s]

So if I own a car & decide to get all necessary tools incase of any emergency, it suddenly means that my vehicle is problematic abi??

There are some category of people that don't wait for problems to arrive before preparing for it.

1 Like

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by fineboynl(m): 3:49pm On May 02, 2022
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

So if I own a car & decide to get all necessary tools incase of any emergency, it suddenly means that my vehicle is problematic abi??

There are some category of people that don't wait for problems to arrive before preparing for it.
when inspecting. This are the sign of a red flag. Although it doesn't mean it is. but a suspect.
Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by xpressionx(m): 3:53pm On May 02, 2022
Just type "Do not buy fairly used cars" we will understand

1 Like

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by fineboynl(m): 4:02pm On May 02, 2022
xpressionx:
Just type "Do not buy fairly used cars"
we will understand
no. It will all determine the worth of the car and bargaining chip. So you don't over paid.
Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by diportivo: 9:50pm On May 02, 2022
if u like,no carry professional go buy ur motor

we go dey here to advise u laslas

person buy toks recently wey knock b4 e reach East

if na so e easy cartalk no go dey undecided

Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by fineboynl(m): 10:00pm On May 02, 2022
diportivo:

even with professional people still buy problem. I bought my first car 2008. I go with mechanic that car was a mistake I don't want to remember.
Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by diportivo: 10:33pm On May 02, 2022
fineboynl:
even with professional people still buy problem. I bought my first car 2008. I go with mechanic that car was a mistake I don't want to remember.

you go with mechanic wey no get scanner,wey charge u 5k,and u suddenly think that its a yardstick for others?

I wish you luck ojare
Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by olumzzz(m): 4:57am On May 03, 2022
diportivo:

Sir stop shooting stray bullets.
The guy is still nursing his problem.
I pity that guy sha. He also went with a "professional" o.
Re: DIY, When Inspecting A Car To Buy by diportivo: 8:02am On May 03, 2022
olumzzz:

Sir stop shooting stray bullets.
The guy is still nursing his problem.
I pity that guy sha. He also went with a "professional" o.

professional get levels noni

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla 2017 Model / Importance Of Cooling Your Engine Before An Oil Change / FRSC Flags Off Operation Rainstorm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.