Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,482 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? (2083 Views)

Oriki - Is There Anything Historical In It For Us? / Oriki Of All Towns In Ekiti State / The Oriki Of Omo Ede - What Is Your Oriki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On May 03, 2022
illicit:
This one is not written
It's oral, it's personal
Its part of any African only if u are too woke or shy of being African undecided
Well, I do have an oral and personal history of my own, and it contains nothing of anyone else's culture but mine. undecided

There is nothing "woke" or shy about my history, and I honestly don't know where the heck that word, "woke", even comes from. undecided
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 9:45pm On May 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Well, I do have an oral and personal history of my own, and it contains nothing of anyone else's culture but mine. undecided

There is nothing "woke" or shy about my history, and I honestly don't know where the heck that word, "woke", even comes from. undecided

Alright

Mind to share something(s) about ur culture?
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On May 03, 2022
illicit:
Alright

Mind to share something(s) about ur culture?
My culture is Wisdom - processing everything there is to process, and reaching decisions through Wisdom and Wisdom alone. undecided
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 9:49pm On May 03, 2022
Kobojunkie:
My culture is Wisdom - processing everything there is to process, and reaching decisions through Wisdom and Wisdom alone. undecided

Not bad sha
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On May 03, 2022
illicit:
Not bad sha
See now why I said Culture is only necessary for those who chose to subscribe to it. undecided
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by MetaPhysical: 3:27pm On May 07, 2022
Illicit,
Yoruba is only one culture in Africa that have a family totem and oriki.

Bring your expectations home.
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 3:30pm On May 07, 2022
MetaPhysical:
Illicit,
Yoruba is only one culture in Africa that have a family totem and oriki.

Bring your expectations home.

Really

I never knew that

Are you Yoruba, can u share urs
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 3:31pm On May 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:
See now why I said Culture is only necessary for those who chose to subscribe to it. undecided

My grandmother's have tattoos

Especially the maternal one

She was the first daughter of a priest

All sort of esoteric things were written and drawn all over her
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On May 07, 2022
illicit:
Did she pass all that information to you or what? undecided
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by MetaPhysical: 4:10pm On May 07, 2022
illicit:

Really

I never knew that

Are you Yoruba, can u share urs

I have shared mine several times on similar threads like yours. We need to focus thoughts into single repositories, and not keep opening redundant threads. Search for threads with oriki and, or totem you will find me in one or two.

1 Like

Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by MetaPhysical: 4:38pm On May 07, 2022
illicit:

Ok, so, tatoos were also used as part of records in which Yoruba kept its history. It is a older history than tribal cheek markings. Unlike tribal marks that are specific to certain lands and given to both genders, tatoos were applied to women and universal across Yorubaland. Motifs represent the full diversity of ecoculture - sea animals, winged animals, four legged animals, plants (particularly flowers). The art carries a heirarchy of proud ancestry and cult for the woman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 10:53pm On May 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Did she pass all that information to you or what? undecided

I met her

I was very young when she passed on but I remember vividly cos it was off to me

I would have asked her if she lived longer
Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Benwallt(m): 10:39pm On Dec 04, 2022
You Mean panegyric.

Omo elefo shigbemo oba yii
Efo san boni rele
Efo romi oko...........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by Benwallt(m): 10:46pm On Dec 04, 2022
illicit:

Oh really?

I know that Igbo language and Yoruba are in the same group and family, they are related.

Now this occurrence of leopard in both cultures can not be overlooked

The Yorubas and igbos are relatives if you ask me

By the way, what's your families totem?
Apart from the general igbos
Both languages belong to the niger kordofanian

1 Like

Re: Do you know your family's Totem And (Oriki) Pedigree? by illicit(m): 5:52pm On Dec 10, 2022
Yeah sure

Who else?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Are The Real Lagosians / India Celebrates Diwali; The Festival Of Lights, With Gaiety / Paul Kagame Opportunist Or Psycho?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.