Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola (1035 Views)

The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities / Canada Rush: What Desperate Nigerian Asylum Seekers Are Saying About Nigeria / Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by NAIJASTANDARD71: 10:43pm On May 05, 2022
True Life Story:
AMERICAN Dream is a Mirage, Struggle, only Racism, Poverty, Food Insecurity; Gun Violence are realities-AJIBOLA Elizabeth Junaid, a Nigerian Asylum seeker in Chicago narrates experience

…America is believed to be the land of opportunities, but America makes those opportunities very difficult to access for people who are not born into privilege, we shared an apartment with three other families-no privacy, one bathroom; my younger sister and I sleep on the floor
*Lament: “We had to board two planes to get to America-one from Lagos, Nigeria, to Dubai, and another from Dubai to Chicago. I was on the plane for 23 hours. It was exhausted, thinking I was on my way to starting a new life where I'd live like Angelina Jolie”

*“In America, food was very scarce because my parents had no income. My mom would go around looking for people who needed help cooking their meals. She'd work for free so she could bring home some of that food. That was what my family lived on for the first couple of months. Back in Nigeria, I had never even heard a gunshot. I used to play outside a lot there”

*“My living situation improved after my parents applied for asylum and got work permits. We moved out of that cramped apartment, but now my parents worked such long hours, six days a week. I barely saw them. Some days, they left our apartment, in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood, at 1 p.m. and didn't return until 2 a.m”
https://nigeriastandardnewspaper.com/ng/true-life-story-american-dream-is-a-mirage-struggle-only-racism-poverty-food-insecurity-gun-violence-are-realities-ajibola-elizabeth-junaid-a-nigerian-asylum-seeker-in-chicago-narrates-experien/

1 Like

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by NAIJASTANDARD71: 10:43pm On May 05, 2022
Where is the American dream?

1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Malory: 10:45pm On May 05, 2022
This issue is subjective. That it didn't work out well for you doesn't mean it won't work out well for another person so don't discourage others. Count your losses and move on

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:55pm On May 05, 2022
sadly, i disagree that the AMERICAN DREAM is a mirage... to a lot of people, the American dream is just to have a decent way of life free of the BS you often get in 3rd world countries. now, sadly, too many deluded people believe that the AMERICAN DREAM is that as soon as you get to the US, you will become rich and turn 1$ into a billion dollar!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by yungz: 10:58pm On May 05, 2022
Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Fredmatic(m): 11:00pm On May 05, 2022
Well , I will refer to stay in an environment where there are little or no bokoharam, bandits , killerherdmen, insecurity, bad road, no 24/7 light , corrupt leaders, arm robbers, kidnappers, ritualist, area boys, Yahoo boys, bad healthcare, corrupt police, injustice, ...etc even if I don't have a job there. You know why? It gives you this peace of mind. So what is racism to compete to things I mention ?

I also believe I will get a job one day with little patient without connection.in such environment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 05, 2022
She said no gunshot in Nigeria. Lmao!
Some part of Nigeria is now firing squad.
When you go to America, if you fall into the right hands, you ll enjoy bliss.
Opportunities are there with little or no connection or discrimination. In Nigeria, opportunities are scarce.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Gerrard59(m): 11:56pm On May 05, 2022
This one has joined the "America hating gang", and very soon she will join the race hustlers. There is no perfect country but the US is way better than Nigeria. Then she uttered this:

NAIJASTANDARD71:
True Life Story:
AMERICAN Dream is a Mirage, Struggle, only Racism, Poverty, Food Insecurity; Gun Violence are realities-AJIBOLA Elizabeth Junaid, a Nigerian Asylum seeker in Chicago narrates experience

*“In America, food was very scarce because my parents had no income. My mom would go around looking for people who needed help cooking their meals. She'd work for free so she could bring home some of that food. That was what my family lived on for the first couple of months. Back in Nigeria, I had never even heard a gunshot. I used to play outside a lot there

https://nigeriastandardnewspaper.com/ng/true-life-story-american-dream-is-a-mirage-struggle-only-racism-poverty-food-insecurity-gun-violence-are-realities-ajibola-elizabeth-junaid-a-nigerian-asylum-seeker-in-chicago-narrates-experien/

Absolute nonsense! Does she know the amount of gunshots Christians in Kaduna and Plateau have heard since 2015? So, because she did not hear a gunshot while in Nigeria, Nigeria is now safer than the US? If so, she should return to Nigeria and stop whining! It is not anyone's fault that she went via the asylum route, unlike the lass who finished from Princeton Schools, Lagos and is now at MIT. It is not one's fault that rather than write the SAT, she resorts to race rustling.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Cousin9999: 12:12am On May 06, 2022
Meh. She'll go to med school and forget about this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by kolnel: 12:52am On May 06, 2022
Very hilarious.
Unfortunately, not everyone can become successful in life.
This same country that I bless every day for giving me life opportunities.
Food is one of the cheapest commodities here unless you order food all the time.
Her parents wouldn't have moved down here if they had a better life back home.
Yankee the land of opportunities.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Nobody: 1:41am On May 06, 2022
Malory:
This issue is subjective. That it didn't work out well for you doesn't mean it won't work out well for another person so don't discourage others. Count your losses and move on
Absolutely Correct.
I have learnt that humans are insatiable..
Some people get tired of the US and relocate while some people in Canada are struggling to migrate to same US too.
In fact, the Philippines happens to be the tourist attraction destination for the Americans.
So, it's always impossible to please humans.
Don't be surprised to get to Heaven & still see humans planning to go back to earth.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by GboyegaD(m): 2:33am On May 06, 2022
Migrate legally. They came on a visit visa and had to go through struggles to get right papers. I am sure many came through their root and have a different story to tell.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by AlphaTaikun: 3:49am On May 06, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Absolutely Correct.

Some people get tired of the US and relocate while some people in Canada are struggling to migrate to same US too.

In fact, the Philippines happens to be the tourist attraction destination for the Americans.

Don't be surprised to get to Heaven & still see humans planning to go back to earth.
Lol.
Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Karlovych: 4:40am On May 06, 2022
embarassed Did she expect things to be smooth for her as an asylum seeker?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by seguno2: 5:12am On May 06, 2022
NAIJASTANDARD71:
True Life Story:

…America is believed to be the land of opportunities, but America makes those opportunities very difficult to access for people who are not born into privilege, we shared an apartment with three other families-no privacy, one bathroom; my younger sister and I sleep on the floor
*Lament: “We had to board two planes to get to America-one from Lagos, Nigeria, to Dubai, and another from Dubai to Chicago. I was on the plane for 23 hours. It was exhausted, thinking I was on my way to starting a new life where I'd live like Angelina Jolie”

*“In America, food was very scarce because my parents had no income. My mom would go around looking for people who needed help cooking their meals. She'd work for free so she could bring home some of that food. That was what my family lived on for the first couple of months. Back in Nigeria, I had never even heard a gunshot. I used to play outside a lot there”

*“My living situation improved after my parents applied for asylum and got work permits. We moved out of that cramped apartment, but now my parents worked such long hours, six days a week. I barely saw them. Some days, they left our apartment, in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood, at 1 p.m. and didn't return until 2 a.m”

Bullshit story for sympathy like what our “shoeless” politicians tell us here.
Cook/work for free in America? She must think she is addressing Lagbaja’s 200 million mumus.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by seguno2: 5:14am On May 06, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Absolutely Correct.

Please how is tourism the same thing as relocating

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:53am On May 06, 2022
I don’t believe her story. I surmise her parents used the asylum route thinking they were smarter than the American government that created the system.
If her parents came here with no money then her parents are responsible for the poverty she described. Chicago has hundreds of food banks and also, asylum seekers receive food assistance while waiting so why the lie about her mother cooking for others so they could get leftovers?

Has she gone back to Nigeria since America is so horrible?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Malory: 8:26am On May 06, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Absolutely Correct.
That's life for you. I know one man in my village that all his family members are residing in the US. This man has houses in many choice locations in the world but he choosed to stay in the village and mingle with the locals. He only visits them once in a while. You can imagine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Nobody: 9:31am On May 06, 2022
Malory:
That's life for you. I know one man in my village that all his family members are residing in the US. This man has houses in many choice locations in the world but he choosed to stay in the village and mingle with the locals. He only visits them once in a while. You can imagine.
Yeah
A Lot do it.
In Fact he does this because he derives pleasure in being around his people and he probably grew up in the village.
IF you relocate to diaspora at a well matured age, you may likely go back to Nigeria permanently or frequently. However, if you relocate at let's say ages bebetween 1&10....you are more unlikely to go back and you are more likely to pick the mother tongue of your new country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Originalsly: 10:06am On May 06, 2022
There is a lesson to learn in this. Many wanting to leave Nigeria have the same idea of America that she had before she arrived..... the impression made by watching movies. She did not address the root of her situation.... they were in the country illegally. Anyone planning to stay illegally without deep pockets or a support system should be prepared to go through this kind of living. School is compulsory regardless of immigration status... up to high school. After graduation ... that's when immigration status ... Green Card becomes a passport to soooo many opportunities. She has dreams.... but her status has to be changed. On food.... anywhere in the US there are places that give out free food stuffs. On living in cramped conditions... normal thing for new immigrants... even those who arrive legally... until they can sort out themselves. Where people settle also play a part ... her parents went to the very worst neighborhood in the whole of the US... maybe only one in Detroit may compete. On not hearing gunshots.... she never heard gunshot in Nigeria.... don't know why people make this an issue. She should appreciate the sacrifice her parents are making to pave a better future for her.... America is not a bed of roses... but you have the opportunity to make it one if you are a legal resident period.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by Cousin9999: 12:50pm On May 06, 2022
seguno2:

Please how is tourism the same thing as relocating

They're a spammer. Most Americans have never and will never visit the country they mentioned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by NAIJASTANDARD71: 1:57pm On May 06, 2022
True
Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by ednut1(m): 2:47pm On May 06, 2022
Why not come back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola by NAIJASTANDARD71: 3:22pm On May 06, 2022
Yeah

(1) (Reply)

Tourist Visa Enquiry To Windhoek, Namibia / UAE Government Sentences Nigerian Woman To One-year Jail Term Over Twitter Post / What Do I Sell On My Visit To Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.