Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool (30622 Views)

Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? / 10 Princes Shortlisted For Vacant Alaafin Stool / Olu Of Warri's Crown Stolen, Police Declares Two Princes Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by izibili44: 11:24am On May 08, 2022
Oba of Benin na my best. One ruling house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 6:04pm On May 08, 2022
AdeniyiA:
Gone are the days when the oracles determine who should succeed a deceased king, but now civilization has taken over. Now you must be 'mouthed', rich, educated and connected. Somehow it's now politicized.

In a country that is organized, the traditional rulers are supposed to have some political powers, but checkmated, to rule their subjects. Governance is best felt at the grassroots
Nigeria is a Republic... they are not even suppose to exist talk less of having political powers..
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Immiguy(m): 7:42pm On May 08, 2022
Ok
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 8:25am On May 10, 2022
juman:

The governor is the ifa.
Actually the Oni of IFA is supposed to be the IFA priest of oyo, that was his position in the precolonial era. With the help of the British he started calling himself "king" in the colonial era.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 8:30am On May 10, 2022
AbosedeFalade:
Why must it be only men ruling culturally and politically? We women have to put a stop this oppressive culture, it is about time a woman becomes the Alaafin of Oyo as a sophisticated tribe and prove to people of other tribes that our culture is better than theirs.
I don't think Nigerian women are ready for leadership. Besides, this is tradition, not a start up. It is horrible to say but most women in this world are not capable of providing good or solid leadership.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 8:32am On May 10, 2022
phygo89:
Game of throne......

They are to be screened by a vice chancellor. Western ideologist screening a traditional apex.
What does being a vice chancellor have to do with ideology ?
What type of school did you go to ?
University is supposed to give you the opposite of ideology, it is about elevating your mind, not about adhering to ideologies.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 8:37am On May 10, 2022
Correction :

HolyStriker:
No heir to the throne? Is the alafin not supposed to have a heir to his throne?

How is it done in oyo?

Yoruba should use their own titles and stop using the word "Oba" as a replacement for the words "sir" and "monach" and their original titles. Oba belongs to Benin, it is the title of the emperor of Benin. The title of the king of oyo is alafin.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 9:43am On May 10, 2022
masseratti:
Nigeria is a Republic... they are not even suppose to exist talk less of having political powers..
Actually, contrary to what the name "federal republic of Nigeria" suggests, Nigeria is not a republic, indeed nigeria didn't witness a revolution against monarchy, rather Nigeria was created out of many kingdoms by foreign invaders. Those same invaders needed the monarchs' approval (at gun point) in order for Nigeria to continue its existence.
So this your argument falls apart.
Given how the political class is corrupt and tribalistic and visionless and incompetent and cowardly, Nigeria is most likely going to witness a revolution against the foreign imported political system. The only political system which can bring peace on the land is the indigenous political system, that system you know it by the name: traditional rulers.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 11:03am On May 10, 2022
Ghostwon8:

Actually, contrary to what the name "federal republic of Nigeria" suggests, Nigeria is not a republic, indeed nigeria didn't witness a revolution against monarchy, rather Nigeria was created out of many kingdoms by foreign invaders. Those same invaders needed the monarchs' approval (at gun point) in order for Nigeria to continue its existence.
So this your argument falls apart.
Given how the political class is corrupt and tribalistic and visionless and incompetent and cowardly, Nigeria is most likely going to witness a revolution against the foreign imported political system. The only political system which can bring peace on the land is the indigenous political system, that system you know it by the name: tradition rulers.
Nigeria is made up of many tribes all with different types of governance, not all tribes in Nigeria were monarchy before the British came, the igbos were republicans, some tribes up north were theocracy, so your point holds no waters.

Nigeria became a republic by act of parliament in 1963,the parliament are the representatives of the people, and the people decided to abolish the house of "chiefs"hence making Nigeria a republic, the British didn't impose that on us, we Nigerians did, get your fact right.

for someone to be born into a royal family and be crown a traditional ruler, collecting 2.5% of the local government allocation every month without contributing anything into the local economy than marrying many wives, is unproductive, lazy and detrimental to the society, to put it in simple terms, why should someone should be paid for life out of our common wealth?
Monarchy is a thing of the past.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 10, 2022
masseratti:
Nigeria is made up of many tribes all with different types of governance, not all tribes in Nigeria were monarchy before the British came, the igbos were republicans, some tribes up north were theocracy, so your point holds no waters.

Nigeria became a republic by act of parliament in 1963,the parliament are the representatives of the people, and the people decided to abolish the house of "chiefs"hence making Nigeria a republic, the British didn't impose that on us, we Nigerians did, get your fact right.

for someone to be born into a royal family and be crown a traditional ruler, collecting 2.5% of the local government allocation every month without contributing anything into the local economy than marrying many wives, is unproductive, lazy and detrimental to the society, to put it in simple terms, why should someone should be paid for life out of our common wealth?
Monarchy is a thing of the past.

Traditional rulers are leasing their lands and souverainty to Nigeria, that is why they are being paid.
Also, you clearly confuse Nigeria with Rome or any western country in which the political system is actually indigenous to the people. The parliament in Nigeria represents nothing but it's self and perhaps the British who created it. For your information once again, the political system in Nigeria is a foreign system imposed by foreign Invaders at gun point ! If anything, this system represents the british, not west Africans !
Also, just calling yourself a republic doesn't make you one: the word republic comes from the Romans, and it applies to the cases which mirror ancient Rome: former kingdom which witnessed a revolution against monarchy and installed a parliamentary system of representation (which under Rome was synonymous to an oligarchy), and for your info, Roman Republic didn't survive because it was extremely corrupt, it returned to monarchy pretty quick.
Nigeria is not a republic, Nigeria is a bunch of kingdoms patched together at gun point by foreign invaders who imposed their political system at gun point on the people of the land.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 10, 2022
@masseratti

Also, when you want to talk about people whom are being paid by Nigeria and yet contribute nothing to the economy: well Nigerian politicians are the most highly paid politicians in the world and they contribute absolutely nothing to the economy, actually they contribute a negative amount of money to the economy due to corruption. Football superstars, and Hollywood actors earn less than Nigerian politicians (even if you remove corruption).
Others are the soldiers, the policemen, the secret services...but these guys like traditional-rulers-approvals are important for peace to reign and without peace there can't be any economy.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 2:16pm On May 10, 2022
Ghostwon8:
@masseratti

Also, when you want to talk about people whom are being paid by Nigeria and yet contribute nothing to the economy: well Nigerian politicians are the most highly paid politicians in the world and they contribute absolutely nothing to the economy, actually they contribute a negative amount of money to the economy due to corruption. Football superstars, and Hollywood actors earn less than Nigerian politicians (even if you remove corruption).
Others are the soldiers, the policemen, the secret services...but these guys like traditional-rulers-approvals are important for peace to reign and without peace there can't be any economy.
what kind of peace has traditional rulers ever emanate? they are the major cause of conflict, confusion in the land, what development have they brought to any community in the country, you advocating for people that don't care about you, living in weak just because they were born by someone, no merit.

you talk about Nigerian Politicians.. yes they are corrupt but they don't get to be paid for life for nothing atleast, you can change them every four years, unlike a traditional ruler who can only be deposed by the governor.. a politician.. two wrongs dont make a right.. i don't have problems with any traditional ruler.. but i can never bow to any one of them and i don't want my tax to be paid to them, simple.

about Nigerian soldiers not contributing anything to the society.. hmmmm definitely you must be a toddler.. because our soldiers are sacrificing their lives daily against bandits and boko haram and you are glorifying traditional rulers who doesn't add anything to our common wealth or peace.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 2:30pm On May 10, 2022
Ghostwon8:

Traditional rulers are leasing their lands and souverainty to Nigeria, that is why they are being paid.
Also, you clearly confuse Nigeria with Rome or any western country in which the political system is actually indigenous to the people. The parliament in Nigeria represents nothing but it's self and perhaps the British who created it. For your information once again, the political system in Nigeria is a foreign system imposed by foreign Invaders at gun point ! If anything, this system represents the british, not west Africans !
Also, just calling yourself a republic doesn't make you one: the word republic comes from the Romans, and it applies to the cases which mirror ancient Rome: former kingdom which witnessed a revolution against monarchy and installed a parliamentary system of representation (which under Rome was synonymous to an oligarchy), and for your info, Roman Republic didn't survive because it was extremely corrupt, it returned to monarchy pretty quick.
Nigeria is not a republic, Nigeria is a bunch of kingdoms patched together at gun point by foreign invaders who imposed their political system at gun point on the people of the land.
you are totally wrong with your postulations.
no1 the romans didn't start republican governance, like i posted before the igbos have been doing it for thousands of uears before the European came.
the first republic in Western Europe that was recorded was by the Greeks not the Romans.. even the Gaelics at a point before the Romans were republicans..
No 2,the 1999 constitution supercede any laws of the land made before 1999..calling ourselves republic by representatives of the people.. that supercede any monarchy or any sovereignty, even the monarchs gets their authority from the people, you cant rule over the people without their will or you have to do it through force,

no 3 no traditional ruler leases their land to any British government.. it was taken by force at gun point to Royal Niger company.. now UAC
my friend your point holds no waters.. am also from a roayl family.. and i can tell you.. its archaic. and lazy.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 10, 2022
masseratti:
you are totally wrong with your postulations.
no1 the romans didn't start republican governance, like i posted before the igbos have been doing it for thousands of uears before the European came.
the first republic in Western Europe that was recorded was by the Greeks not the Romans.. even the Gaelics at a point before the Romans were republicans..
No 2,the 1999 constitution supercede any laws of the land made before 1999..calling ourselves republic by representatives of the people.. that supercede any monarchy or any sovereignty, even the monarchs gets their authority from the people, you cant rule over the people without their will or you have to do it through force,

no 3 no traditional ruler leases their land to any British government.. it was taken by force at gun point to Royal Niger company.. now UAC
my friend your point holds no waters.. am also from a roayl family.. and i can tell you.. its archaic. and lazy.

1)One thing when talking to Nigerians is that sooner or later the Nigerian will claim to be a prince. Please to be taken seriously remove the "I am a prince" from your comment, it only shows your lack of maturity.
2) you are clearly confusing the first democracy with the first Republic, the Greeks created the first democracy, whereas the Romans created the first Republic.
3) most "monarchs" in Nigeria are not real monarchs, they were mostly chiefs, dukes, village heads under real monarchs like the Oba of Benin, the emir of Kano, the sultan of Sokoto...and sometimes they are just warrant
officers created by the Nigerian government or by the British.
4) your 1999 Constitution was not made by the people, it was made by an illegitimate group of people: a military junta.
5) please stop the revisionist talk about Igbo republicans whom "had been republicans for thousands of years", you are only exposing once again your lack of maturity and lack of command of the very concept of history, fables are not history!
6) I never said traditional rulers leased their lands and souverainty to the British willingly, so I don't get the point (or non point) which you are trying to make. But when someone occupies your land and uses something which belongs to you (souverainty) and pays you money while doing so, the general appellation for that is "leasing".
And I wasn't even talking about the British, I was talking about Nigeria but it applies to both.
7) look, you are clearly not intellectually equipped to debate this with me, and it seems you are not open minded enough to admit when you have been proven wrong, so I think we best end this right now. I do not wish to have an other non ending nairaland debate.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 10, 2022
masseratti:

you talk about Nigerian Politicians.. yes they are corrupt but they don't get to be paid for life for nothing atleast,
It seems you don't know about pensions and other advantages for retired politicians.
Also the fact alone that the legal money which they earn while in office makes them richer than NBA stars and Hollywood stars, talkless of the money they earn from corruption...
As I said in my previous comment, you are clearly not intellectually equipped to debate this topic and you are not open minded enough to admit when you are proven wrong, in other words, it is a waste for me to try and educate you.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 4:17pm On May 10, 2022
Ghostwon8:

It seems you don't know about pensions and other advantages for retired politicians.
Also the fact alone that the legal money which they earn while in office makes them richer than NBA stars and Hollywood stars, talkless of the money they earn from corruption...
As I said in my previous comment, you are clearly not intellectually equipped to debate this topic and you are not open minded enough to admit when you are proven wrong, in other words, it is a waste for me to try and educate you.
mr intellectual.. its your kinds that are spoiling this country, two wrongs don't make a right.. where did i tell you that politicians of today are better than traditional rulers.. you see why i called you a toddler? its because you never experienced military rule or thats when you were still wearing napkins.. the worst form of democracy is way better that the best Military or monarchy rule.. thats a fact.

in a sane society its only the commander in chief and judges that are supposed to be on life pensions because of security reasons... not all states pays life pensions to their former governors.. lagos state just reduced their own. ogun and oyo state with so many other states does not pay. but they pay your traditional rulers foe doing nothing apart from marrying young girls, partying and enjoying life for the rest of their lives.
Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by masseratti: 4:34pm On May 10, 2022
Ghostwon8:

1)One thing when talking to Nigerians is that sooner or later the Nigerian will claim to be a prince. Please to be taken seriously remove the "I am a prince" from your comment, it only shows your lack of maturity.
2) you are clearly confusing the first democracy with the first Republic, the Greeks created the first democracy, whereas the Romans created the first Republic.
3) most "monarchs" in Nigeria are not real monarchs, they were mostly chiefs, dukes, village heads under real monarchs like the Oba of Benin, the emir of Kano, the sultan of Sokoto...and sometimes they are just warrant
officers created by the Nigerian government or by the British.
4) your 1999 Constitution was not made by the people, it was made by an illegitimate group of people: a military junta.
5) please stop the revisionist talk about Igbo republicans whom "had been republicans for thousands of years", you are only exposing once again your lack of maturity and lack of command of the very concept of history, fables are not history!
6) I never said traditional rulers leased their lands and souverainty to the British willingly, so I don't get the point (or non point) which you are trying to make. But when someone occupies your land and uses something which belongs to you (souverainty) and pays you money while doing so, the general appellation for that is "leasing".
And I wasn't even talking about the British, I was talking about Nigeria but it applies to both.
7) look, you are clearly not intellectually equipped to debate this with me, and it seems you are not open minded enough to admit when you have been proven wrong, so I think we best end this right now. I do not wish to have an other non ending nairaland debate.
i don't even know where to start with your fallacies..
let me start one by one to debunk you with your words with facts.

first.. republic started from the greeks.. i stand by that.. which is also a democracy, so you mean that greeks elected a king? a senate? whats the difference in a constitutional monarchy and an absolute monarchy?.tell me the king of the various greeks city states that were republics? i can name you one off my head.. spartia.. always having two rulers at a time with various checks and balances by the public.. thats a republic that predates the romans.. dont come and read Wikipedia and start spewing nonsense on a public fora..i will school you,and don't go there.

No 2, anyone from a royal family is considered a prince. i stand by that.. i dont care of such title but i am who i am.. born into a traditional royal family, my Grand dad is the king of my town in lagos #fact.

No 3 whats the meaning of real monarchs and fake monarchs? all the terms you used lets restrict any title you want to call their grades to traditional rulers.

No4 the people that abolished the house of chiefs were representatives of the people in the parliament in 1963..it was not written by any military junta.. go and read your history well.

No 5 please explain to me how most of the igbos were not republicans.. its in their history.. or you want to lie about that? and they are formidably proud of it.

No6, this one is so hilarious. how did the British pay for occupation of lands? to whom, where or how? there was indirect rule in the north and direct rule in the south... and from what you said its even the opposite that happened, the traditional rulers in the north collected taxes on behalf of the crown, they used warrant officials to collect taxes in the south.. so who paid who? please.

no7... i have no need to prove my intellect to you... i just dont like when your kinds deceive the general public.. how can Monarchy /dictatorship by a preferred form of governance in 21st century... jeez.. this is insane.. drop it.. no one is an island of knowledge.

Re: 20 Oyo Princes Jostle For Vacant Alaafin Stool by Asianjollof007: 4:13pm On May 14, 2022
AbosedeFalade:
Why must it be only men ruling culturally and politically? We women have to put a stop this oppressive culture, it is about time a woman becomes the Alaafin of Oyo as a sophisticated tribe and prove to people of other tribes that our culture is better than theirs.

Everything no be feminism, don't dig faults where there's none. Na woman dey rule UK, a queen and nobody is challenging that cos it's been like that for a very long time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi With His Twin Girls (Photo) / 6 Undisputed Facts That Prove "Homosexuality" Is Demonic Possession / Ayiri Emami Installed As The Prime Minister Of Warri After Traditional Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.