Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Writers Are Known Through Writing, Not Certificates. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers Are Known Through Writing, Not Certificates. (196 Views)

Writers Are Needed @ Pay is high / They Are Known For Their Sexual Prowess And ... / Writers Are Not Poor Noise Makers Or Something Like That (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Writers Are Known Through Writing, Not Certificates. by Ochari: 11:22am On May 07, 2022
One mistake many employers of writers make is to place emphasis on the shadow instead of the substance of writing. This shadow includes paper qualification, the field of qualification, claims of published works and certain soft skills that have no bearing on one’s ability to write.

A good writer is known through writing, not through certificates or claims.

Any time I see an employer, who needs a good writer but is fixated on degrees and certificates, I see an unserious employer. Does a certificate write? No. Does a degree write? No. Degrees are important but they do not determine if someone can write well or not.

If you say you are a good writer, I won’t argue with you. If you show me published materials you have written, I won’t still argue with you. Having worked in the newsroom and in the book publishing industry, I have seen poor write-ups transformed by wonderful editors. Before I joined journalism, I used to read some news stories with the byline of certain people. I rated these people as wonderful writers because of the stories that had their names on them. When I went into journalism, I was shocked to see a different picture. Stories would be coming into the newsroom through the fax machine (and through the email in later years) from reporters across the country. The news editor and his deputies would be busy rewriting these stories before sending them to the page planners to prepare them for publishing. Sometimes, you would hear their anguish about the lack of head or tail in certain stories. Sometimes, they would pass some stories to a few trusted hands around to help turn the stories around. Upon reading some stories with the names of some people I had read their news reports, I could not believe the quality of writing and grammar that I saw. Sometimes, in frustration, the news editor would........
Continue Reading........
https://felicitygists.com/writers-are-known-through-writing-not-certificates/

(1) (Reply)

Forgotten Vision / Join Us For POLITICKING - Artmesh (openmic) Lagos - June 2022 Edition / How To Write Ebook And Publish It For Beginner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.