Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,761 members, 7,955,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:06 PM

Are There Only Three Varieties Of Oil Palm As Touted? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Are There Only Three Varieties Of Oil Palm As Touted? (340 Views)

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties / Cassava tuber and varieties of Stem Available! / Eight (8) Varieties Of Nigerian Mangoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are There Only Three Varieties Of Oil Palm As Touted? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 2:30pm On May 09, 2022
It's widely touted that there are three oil palm varieties in Africa in books,but I have discovered they are more than three.
The ones we commonly know are Dura,Pisifera and Tenera.
Tenera is a hybrid of Dura and Pisifera,which is also cultivated in Malaysia and Indonesia.
In my father's compound, I have seen palm varieties which bear a beer bottle shaped fruits on its bunches,ones which bear very large nuts,which in my place we call Akwu Okpoloko.The shell is very large with equally large kernels.
And then the unique variety called Akwu Ojukwu( A.K.A Elaeis G.Viridescens).
The Ojukwu oil palm is distinctive in that its fruits are orange all over instead of red and black as in other varieties.
There may possibly more varieties of oil palm in Nigeria, than we know,which grow wild or semi wild.

Re: Are There Only Three Varieties Of Oil Palm As Touted? by cardoso514: 2:35pm On May 09, 2022
There is anew variety,may a cross between several,assumed to be higher yielding and early too.
SUPERGENE it is.Try and google it.
it is available in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Fingerlings And Juvenile Hybrid Catfish Available / Do You Need "Amala" In Small/lager Quatity? / Crude Palm Kernel Oil Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.