Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Thousands Flee Maiduguri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thousands Flee Maiduguri (6101 Views)

Thousands Flee Borno Communities After Fresh B’haram Attacks / Drama At DSS As Marilyn Ogar Is Transferred To Maiduguri, Then Recalled / Thousands flee fighting in Nigeria as UN Warns Of Nigeria Refugee Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 6:44pm On Jul 12, 2011
Thousands of Nigerians are fleeing the north-eastern city of Maiduguri following a spate of recent attacks, which have killed at least 40 people.

Some of those leaving are students after the university was closed.

The attacks have been carried out by the radical Islamist group, Boko Haram, which opposes Western education and fights for Islamic rule.

The security forces have been accused of firing indiscriminately and killing civilians after the raids.

Boko Haram has carried out most of its attacks in Maiduguri but has also bombed targets in the capital, Abuja, in recent months.

The BBC's Bilkisu Babangida in Maiduguri says the city is gripped by fear with many people staying indoors.

Correspondents say bus stops are overcrowded as the exodus from the city grows.

Some people are leaving on foot with their belongings and livestock.

On Tuesday morning, a military patrol was targeted in Maiduguri and in the ensuing confusion, four people were shot dead and two soldiers wounded.

There has also been a blast at a church in the town of Suleja, near Abuja.

No casualties have been reported.

Our reporter says the university was closed following rumours that the group planned to attack the campus.

University authorities said they had closed the campus because of the growing insecurity in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.

Students were due to write end of term exams this week, but the authorities urged students to stay at home under the protection of their parents.

A student, Leke Oshubu, told the BBC the campus was tense.

"You can't read, you can't do anything in this kind of situation," he told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

Several residents told the BBC that following Tuesday's explosion, soldiers fired indiscriminately.

"They just came, shouting 'Hands up' and then started shooting. They think people like us - civilians - are hiding militants," a resident, who asked not be identified, said.

Legislators from Borno state held a press conference on Tuesday in Abuja to condemn the military strategy and to call for an amicable solution to the conflict with Boko Haram, correspondents say.

The head of the military task force in Maiduguri, Brigadier General Jack Okechukwu Nwaogbo, defended his men.

"Soldiers are not animals who will be killing people indiscriminately. Anybody shot or killed by soldiers must have attacked them or is armed, which means he is part of the group we are out to tackle," he is quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.

Source
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 7:42pm On Jul 12, 2011
This is the beginning of collapse of Nigeria. One by one, states in Nigeria will collapse, Bornu, Bauchi, . . .

I hope Boko Haram intensify their attack on the military and paramilitary and other government institutions to quicken the process.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
To make things faster, they should descend on SE states. I'm sure the Youths are capable of fending them off.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by EzeUche(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

To make things faster, they should descend on SE states. I'm sure the Youths are capable of fending them off.

You are wicked. angry shocked angry
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 7:46pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

When they have border with SW states and have already taken Kwara from you? grin
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by tpia5: 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2011
does nigeria actually have a government?
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

When they have border with SW states and have already taken Kwara from you? grin

But that's not going to separate Naija anytime soon. But we know that them descending on the SE would, I mean that's what all the noise on NL is about, no?
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by namfav(m): 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
cry
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
EzeUche:

You are wicked.  angry shocked angry
Actually, thank you.
My horns are glowing.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 7:53pm On Jul 12, 2011
tpia@:

does nigeria actually have a government?

Boko Haram will actually expose how empty and toothless Nigeria military and paramilitary are. This is not 1966 when they go about killing civilians while the real soldiers are there to fight them; the world won't tolerate such any more.

Let them face Boko Haram and see who wins.
Nigeria is all farce!
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by aljharem3: 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Boko Haram will actually expose how empty and toothless Nigeria military and paramilitary are. This is not 1966 when they go about killing civilians while the real soldiers are there to fight them; the world won't tolerate such any more.

Let them face Boko Haram and see who wins.
Nigeria is all farce!

gbamm well said
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

But that's  not going to separate Naija anytime soon. But we know that them descending on the SE would, I mean that's what all the noise on NL is about, no?

Actually you are right, if they descend on Ibadan, the SWners will simply vacate the city for them to take over and still pretend as if nothing happened but that will be different if such happens in the East; that could mark the beginning of another civil war.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Actually you are right, if they descend on Ibadan, the SWners will simply vacate the city for them to take over and still pretend as if nothing happened but that will be different if such happens in the East; that could mark the beginning of another civil war.

Yes, abi nau. So to make things faster, they should simply help the Fulanis desecrating your women in the SE. This is the best time for MASSOBs to show their claw and less street campaigns.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yes, abi nau. So to make things faster, they should simply help the Fulanis desecrating your women in the SE. This is the best time for MASSOBs to show their claw and less street campaigns.

A wise military strategist that knows the importance of sea will first of all descend on those (the SW) that will pose no resistance to his men, take over their lands, the seaport and recruit enough women to service his men before they then prepare to descend on those (the SE) that will fight them.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

A wise military strategist that knows the importance of sea will first of all descend on those (the SW) that will pose no resistance to his men, take over their lands, the seaport and recruit enough women to service his men before they then prepare to descend on those (the SE) that will fight them.

All this one na story story.

Obiagu1:

This is the beginning of collapse of Nigeria. One by one, states in Nigeria will collapse, Bornu, Bauchi, . . .

I hope Boko Haram intensify their attack on the military and paramilitary and other government institutions to quicken the process.

Why hope for the attack of the millitart and other Govt? Since an attack on the SE will quicken the collapse of Nigeria, why not make that happen? What's the other story you're yarning?
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 8:10pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

All this one na story story.

Why hope for the attack of the millitart and other Govt? Since an attack on the SE will quicken the collapse of Nigeria, why not make that happen? What's the other story you're yarning?

Agreed that an attack on the SE will quicken the collapse of Nigeria but they have to get prepared before embarking on such dangerous mission, won't they? Their main objective is to descend on the SE but they have to reinforce, which means take over the SW, their land, their sea, their women before the final mission on the SE.

Agreed?
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 12, 2011
Back to the topic!
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Agreed that an attack on the SE will quicken the collapse of Nigeria but they have to get prepared before embarking on such dangerous mission, won't they? Their main objective is to descend on the SE but they have to reinforce, which means take over the SW, their land, their sea, their women before the final mission on the SE.

Agreed?

Eh ehn. So put a full stop right there. Nobody asked for stories. We know the opposite of what una say always happens on NL.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by MMM2(m): 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2011
angry .
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by ocelot2006(m): 9:30pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

YOU ARE A BLOODY slowpoke !!! Your country's going through a difficult time, innocent people, men, women, and children,  have been murdered in cold blood by this notorious sect, yet you spew rubbish here, calling for the fall of other states to Boko Haram? Are you f@&king mad  angry  angry  angry ?!!!
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by obowunmi(m): 9:38pm On Jul 12, 2011
Lets Nigerians invade ASO-ROCK. Cant Boko Horam, bomb that dump? SO more sensible people can rule Nigeria.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Panzastrip(m): 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

yes
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Panzastrip(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If they do then the whole Ndigbo will declare war even a 1 year old baby.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Talkyaown: 9:47pm On Jul 12, 2011
this spare part seller called Obiagu1, my advice for you is to stick ur gun where it belongs, u know nothing about the southwest or any other part of the country except ur region
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by sizzlers(m): 9:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
if u cant beat them, u flee or better still join them
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Panzastrip(m): 9:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
alj_harem:

gbamm well said

You i have been watching you for a very long time now, today will side us Ndigbo tomorrow you will side Yoruba and the next Hausa. Ajezera where do u stand? you can reply me with a heavy bombardment.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by 3kay945(m): 9:58pm On Jul 12, 2011
Who will win? Boko animals or Gej government.? The battle line as been drawn.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by aljharem3: 10:01pm On Jul 12, 2011
Panzastrip:

You i have been watching you for a very long time now, today will side us Ndigbo tomorrow you will side Yoruba and the next Hausa. Ajezera where do u stand? you can reply me with a heavy bombardment.

now what do you mean "i side"

when people talk sense then i side, now look at the bolded part i agreed with obiagu1

if obiagu says rubbish then i would try to prove him wrong like this quote

obiagu1

Quote from: Obiagu1 on Today at 07:42:09 PM

u see, this a rubbish above undecided

i side only sensable people and i am a detribalised nigerian who looks at the interest of nigerian first before anyother ethnic group

that is the way i operate. speak the truth [quote][/quote]
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Panzastrip(m): 10:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
I hear you
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 12, 2011
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]GOODLUCK JONATHAN HAS FAILED US, IF HE BECAME A GOVERNOR AND PRESIDENT BY GOODLUCK, DOZ HE THINK HE WILL DEFEAT BOKO HARAM BY LUCK TOO[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 10:15pm On Jul 12, 2011
ocelot2006:

YOU ARE A BLOODY slowpoke !!! Your country's going through a difficult time, innocent people, men, women, and children,  have been murdered in cold blood by this notorious sect, yet you spew rubbish here, calling for the fall of other states to Boko Haram? Are you f@&king mad  angry  angry  angry ?!!!

Going thru a difficult time When have we ever seen a good time?
Keep deceiving yourself. My father hoped for a good time, now it's turn to hope for a good time? Rubbish!

Call a spade a spade, it's not working. Nigeria has never and will never work.
Re: Thousands Flee Maiduguri by intelligen(m): 10:17pm On Jul 12, 2011
This is not good,i don't blame u guys callng for boko haram to takeova d south east, if u were in borno,u wouldn't be talkng that way, am out of here,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

(pics)where Are This Celebs Who Cried Out During GEJ Fuel Hike Pics / Nigerians Should Pray For APC To Leave In 2019 –Ezeife / Giant Poster Of MC Oluomo In Military Style Uniform Emerges In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.