Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě (35397 Views)

Does Annual Leave Days Include Weekend? / If You Have These 4 Things On Your CV, Then You Are Your Own Problem! / 4 Things To Do Before You Turn 30 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Mczigx(m): 11:13pm On May 11, 2022
Everyone wants to get their dream job, but sometimes it can be hard to get even a foot in the door. The first step to getting a great job is having a great resume.

If you're applying for jobs and no one is responding, you might have made some common mistakes on your resume. Here are four things you should never include on your resume, and also some tips for writing a great one.

1.Your personal information like date of birth, age, marital status, sex, etc. The reason why most persons include some of these on their resumes is because they see other persons doing it. They've never stopped to ask themselves 'how does including this information on my resume make me a better candidate for the job or internship' ��

2. Unrelated work experiences and skills: Know what skills are related to the job you want and what isn't important. If it's not relevant, leave it off! If I'm applying for the role of a front desk officer, my previous experience working as a video creator or graphic designer shouldn't be stated on my resume as these two don't relate.

3.Photograph: While a photograph can be helpful if you're applying for a job where your appearance is important (like modeling or acting), most employers will be more interested in your skills than how you look. For some countries especially in Europe, this is accepted but in other countries, it's a no no.

4.Reference: This section should also be taken off from your CV as it's of no importance. Instead of including the contact and address of your referees, just write 'to be provided on request'.

If you're careful about including only the right things on your resume and leaving out everything else, your chances of being called for an interview would improve greatly.

#careeradvice #job

94 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Fabulouslouie(m): 10:13am On May 12, 2022
Mczigx:
Everyone wants to get their dream job, but sometimes it can be hard to get even a foot in the door. The first step to getting a great job is having a great resume.

If you're applying for jobs and no one is responding, you might have made some common mistakes on your resume. Here are four things you should never include on your resume, and also some tips for writing a great one.

1.Your personal information like date of birth, age, marital status, sex, etc. The reason why most persons include some of these on their resumes is because they see other persons doing it. They've never stopped to ask themselves 'how does including this information on my resume make me a better candidate for the job or internship' ��

2. Unrelated work experiences and skills: Know what skills are related to the job you want and what isn't important. If it's not relevant, leave it off! If I'm applying for the role of a front desk officer, my previous experience working as a video creator or graphic designer shouldn't be stated on my resume as these two don't relate.

3.Photograph: While a photograph can be helpful if you're applying for a job where your appearance is important (like modeling or acting), most employers will be more interested in your skills than how you look. For some countries especially in Europe, this is accepted but in other countries, it's a no no.

4.Reference: This section should also be taken off from your CV as it's of no importance. Instead of including the contact and address of your referees, just write 'to be provided on request'.

If you're careful about including only the right things on your resume and leaving out everything else, your chances of being called for an interview would improve greatly.

#careeradvice #job

I agree with you. Often times when I'm writing CV for people, I've to convince them to remove certain things.

14 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by inoki247: 1:28pm On May 12, 2022
I never add the Buhari regime survival to my CV I'm waiting mak e finish mak I come add the 8years to my CV undecided undecided undecided

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by dubaino(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2022
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by solochris(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2022
For those of us that are self employed, this one no concern us

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by ojun50(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2022
Every day different information

How can one add his new Google certificate to his CV

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Johnny147147: 1:28pm On May 12, 2022
No. 4 is Satan 2... Da bomb
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by kaymart: 1:29pm On May 12, 2022
100%

2 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Dagenius53: 1:29pm On May 12, 2022
I need a job please
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Yiominal: 1:29pm On May 12, 2022
Thank you so much
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Ade4dayo70(m): 1:30pm On May 12, 2022
Quite an innovative caveat.
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by tony0806: 1:30pm On May 12, 2022
That's right
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by BeardGangJnr1(m): 1:31pm On May 12, 2022
F
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by illuminutty: 1:32pm On May 12, 2022
Job applicants, over to you.
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by chibu4u2(m): 1:33pm On May 12, 2022
Thanks for d info.
Wanna ask just out of curiousity, no: 4 tips, if one have a very very strong connect, say governor or a strong personality, should it still be left "available on request" or should be included?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Dukeolumidemans(m): 1:33pm On May 12, 2022
Who CV help? If ur writing a CV in Nigeria, ur just wasting ur time if u don't know anyone, especially ur God.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Image123(m): 1:33pm On May 12, 2022
This is for small pikin. When you connect well well, even if you put riddles and jokes inside CV, na you dem go give job oh.

28 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by uchaymart(m): 1:34pm On May 12, 2022
Mczigx:

#careeradvice #job

Op are you saying..."referee to be provided on request" is not necessary??

1 Like

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by usah4(m): 1:35pm On May 12, 2022
This is what you know not what the job interviewers know.

7 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by rickleye: 1:35pm On May 12, 2022
Mczigx:

#careeradvice #job

Agreed the modern resume. ��

I remember the gimmicks Sex : 3 times a week !
References - Usually 3.
Work experience- Anything and everything under the sun !
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by Nigerialabalaba: 1:35pm On May 12, 2022
Fabulouslouie:

I agree with you. Often times when I'm writing CV for people, I've to convince them to remove certain things.
e dey obvious say u neva hire or lead team wey don dey d oda side wey dey peruse cv.
For cv, less is not always more o. In fact, less info na red flag!
na theory una dey write. if all that info u and OP dey misadvice people not to include for dem cv no dey for dem cv, u no go get job.
It is so obvious say una no sabi anything at all. shiorr.
Who wan hire ghost and person wey I go see d cv con dey wrack my head to sabi weda hin fit my organizational spec. Una go get sense las las o.

8 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by abumeinben(m): 1:36pm On May 12, 2022
This violates some Europass templates.
Re: 4 Things You Should Never Include On Your Resumě by omorttee4u(m): 1:36pm On May 12, 2022
I don't know if I read well, do you mean date of birth and gender description shouldn't be included in CVS? I just don't get it. In most of the job advert. All those things are of their requirement.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Economic Hardship: Wema Bank Announces Salary Increment For Staff / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? / ICAN Chartered Accountants Awaitting Induction Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.