Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? (1554 Views)

What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / What Has Fashola Really Done? / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by ektbear: 9:53am On Jul 13, 2011
Just curious, how much of a hit do you think he has taken from these unfortunate events? And I mean your own personal rating, not what your guess about other people's ratings now looks like.

Perhaps I should add a poll too.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by russellino: 11:37am On Jul 13, 2011
The floods definitely lowered his previously astronomically high ratings in my opinion. I am tempted to think the man has fallen to the re-election syndrome. He's won his second and last term so its possible he's not under too much pressure to perform and has more time to play politics. I gathered that oga muiz banire's exit is a major reason why the flooding was so bad.

He been blaming lagosians for blocking drains with garbage but thats a cop-out if you ask me. the buck stops at his desk. That was unlike him. the fash i know no dey complain, he would just act . Lets see how he tackles issues going forward
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by blank(f): 11:55am On Jul 13, 2011
Add a poll so we can quantify it
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Desola(f): 11:58am On Jul 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Just curious, how much of a hit do you think he has taken from these unfortunate events? And I mean your own personal rating, not what your guess about other people's ratings now looks like.

Perhaps I should add a poll too.

. . .and what has natural disaster got to do with his popularity? Did he cause this? Are you blaming him for not demolishing the houses that obstructed the drainages long before now? Are you saying he should have banned pure water from being sold or have taken all Lagosians to a re-orientation camp?

What exactly are you lot complaining about?

This is getting beyond ridiculous now.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Seanet1000: 12:01pm On Jul 13, 2011
Was Lagos not flooded before the election? Of course it was but the people on ground understand that Fashola is trying all the he could that was why they voted for him , in US this would have been a national disaster that the Federal government will take a lot of financial responsibilities unlike our clueless GejWas Lagos not flooded before the election? Of course it was but the people on ground understand that Fashola is trying all the he could that was why they voted for him , in US this would have been a national disaster that the Federal government will take a lot of financial responsibilities unlike our clueless Gej
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Seanet1000: 12:02pm On Jul 13, 2011
That's my Desola.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by ektbear: 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2011
Desola, dunno if you've read my other writings on this forum, but I'm pretty pro-Fashola. Don't get the wrong idea and think I'm an enemy of his or blaming him.

But sometimes you get the blame in life for stuff you aren't really responsible for.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Desola(f): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2011
Seanet1000:

That's my Desola.

You know what, it's becoming irritating now.

Lagos is almost an island itself. It is surrounded by water and with terrible drainage and over population, it's no surprise that it's facing what it is now. Even a country such as England faces flood like this at times.

Flood is bound to occur in a state such as Lagos but managing it is what is paramount. Fashola, so far has been the only governor who has reacted to most issues thus far in the history of Lagos but still some nincompoop would still come around to slate him as if he should have the role of a miracle worker in his job specification.

This disaster has now given Fashola the clout to go ahead and demolish all obstructing structures and lay underground drainages around Lagos. It would only boost his profile as the "action governor". Rather than wait patiently to see how things pan out, they are coming out talking about popularity contest. Sheesh!
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Desola, dunno if you've read my other writings on this forum, but I'm pretty pro-Fashola. Don't get the wrong idea and think I'm an enemy of his or blaming him.

But sometimes you get the blame in life for stuff you aren't really responsible for.

I feel you but on a serious note,everyone knows what's going on in Lagos and what's responsible for it.Just that we all pretend to be blame the government even when at one time or the other we add to the problem.Once in a while,I throw stuff on the road from the car especially on highways but who cares where those stuff ends ? This is the best description of what's happening in Lagos.All those market women need to be educated !
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Seanet1000: 12:18pm On Jul 13, 2011
Dapo your last post makes sense than the beer parlour statement you used to start the thread.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Desola(f): 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

I am not saying you are an enemy of progress but it riles me to high heavens when I see people who should presumably know better, come out to open flood gates to attack a man who is arguably the best thing Nigeria has going for it in the face of obvious adversity.

I seldom post on "Fashola's" thread because I don't subscribe to unnecessary praise singing. I see him being praised and attacked mostly by non indegenes of Lagos who claim to have the right to do so because they pay their fantasy tax.

So you admit to Fashola being blamed for something he's not necessarily responsible for, yet you join hands to open a thread to test his popularity? What a load of contradiction! W
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by phantom(m): 12:34pm On Jul 13, 2011
has fashola even attributed this thing to nature?
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by ektbear: 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2011
Desola:

So you admit to Fashola being blamed for something he's not necessarily responsible for, yet you join hands to open a thread to test his popularity? What a load of contradiction! W

If the economy in a country falls apart, a guy will get blamed for it even if it wasn't his fault. Similarly, if the economy is booming, he'll get credit for it even if he didn't have that much to do with it.

This just comes with the territory of being a politician.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by amarilo: 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

If the economy in a country falls apart, a guy will get blamed for it even if it wasn't his fault. Similarly, if the economy is booming, he'll get credit for it even if he didn't have that much to do with it.

This just comes with the territory of being a politician.
Not necessarily politicians but being the HEAD. If the bank perfoms well the MD take the praises and the bonuses but when it goes burst he will as well take the blame/sack. samething is happening to GEJ now concerning the Bokos.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by jmaine: 2:09pm On Jul 13, 2011
Nothing has changed much . . Still giving him the benefit of the doubt to tackle the problem head on  . . . . . Am sure he now appreciates the problem better . . . which should translate to a swift solution . . .
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by tpia5: 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2011
Flooding in lagos is not a new thing.

Lagos itself means lagoon/s.

Can anything be clearer than that.

Most of the whiners here are just whining out of bad belle and would blame fashola if the sun shined too much. Or if they broke a fingernail.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
What happened in lagos was a natural occurrence, and nobody ought to be blamed.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by EkoIle1: 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2011
This is really a silly thread, def' not expecting such from the OP.

Didn't 82% Lagos electorates just gave the man a landslide victory less than 3 months ago and wasn't there flooding every year he's been in office?
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by ektbear: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is really a silly thread, def' not expecting such from the OP.

Didn't 82% Lagos electorates just gave the man a landslide victory less than 3 months ago and wasn't there flooding every year he's been in office?

Responding "Not at all" is a valid option. Maybe I should have titled my post, "Has Fashola's Stock Fallen"?

I'll retitle.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by russellino: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2011
@op - This is a sensible thread designed to stimulate sensible discourse. Dont be cowed or bullied into not exercising your intellect
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by londoner: 4:46pm On Jul 13, 2011
Well, I heard the Lagos state government/Fashola warned of the coming rains a few weeks before hand, and advised people to move. was this enough?

The question is with this expectation of very heavy rainfall, what was DONE to remove the blockages already on ground?

The people of Lagos have to take some blame, but the governor has to take his share for lack of preparation, because he does have the capability to get the man power together to clear the blockages before the rains came, with the knowledge that they were coming.

Lagosians, after the warning did you see any measures taken against the flooding?

IMO, Fashola is still a good governor and because he is genuine, he and his administration will probably make sure that the next heavy rains do not have a chance to cause such havoc.

He is just human afterall, but Bush took his share of criticism after the hurricane Katrina fiasco and it centred around his lack of preparation, not that he somehow controls weather, lol
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by russellino: 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2011
@londoner - he did tell people in certain areas to move out. The thing that shocked everyone was the flooding in areas that previously hadnt experienced that level before. I'm pretty sure he's been shaken up by the chaos that took place and is whipping butts right now as we type. But sha if the new commissioner cant do the job he should get someone who can
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by aljharem3: 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2011
londoner:

Well, I heard the Lagos state government/Fashola warned of the coming rains a few weeks before hand, and advised people to move. was this enough?

[b]The question is with this expectation of very heavy rainfall, what was DONE to remove the blockages already on ground?

The people of Lagos have to take some blame, but the governor has to take his share for lack of preparation, because he does have the capability to get the man power together to clear the blockages before the rains came, with the knowledge that they were coming.

Lagosians, after the warning did you see any measures taken against the flooding?

IMO, Fashola is still a good governor and because he is genuine, he and his administration will probably make sure that the next heavy rains do not have a chance to cause such havoc.

[/b]He is just human afterall, but Bush took his share of criticism after the hurricane Katrina fiasco and it centred around his lack of preparation, not that he somehow controls weather, lol

well said

thank u, i love fashola but since he knew about the flooding, what did he do to prevent it
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On Jul 13, 2011
russellino:

@londoner - he did tell people in certain areas to move out. The thing that shocked everyone was the flooding in areas that previously hadnt experienced that level before. I'm pretty sure he's been shaken up by the chaos that took place and is whipping butts right now as we type. But sha if the new commissioner cant do the job he should get someone who can   

Like @Londoner mentioned, the question is what was actually done since it was known way ahead of time that there was the great chance of flooding. Why were the drainages not cleared out and stuff? What did the state do in the way of prevention or minimizing the damage, if anything?
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by tpia5: 6:08pm On Jul 13, 2011
alj_harem:

well said

thank u, i love fashola but since he knew about the flooding, what did he do to prevent it

how exactly do you prevent flooding of this nature besides issuing warnings and evacuating people.

should he have evacuated most of the flood zones?
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by jmaine: 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2011
londoner:

The question is with this expectation of very heavy rainfall, what was DONE to remove the blockages already on ground?

He is just human afterall, but Bush took his share of criticism after the hurricane Katrina fiasco and it centred around his lack of preparation, not that he somehow controls weather, lol

Bravo Bro . . Another great post from you i like . . .wait for some lose and feeble minds to term you a hater for being objective . . .blaming it all on weather which is rather amusing . .
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by londoner: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2011
jmaine:

Bravo Bro . . Another great post from you i like . . .wait for some lose and feeble minds to term you a hater for being objective . . .blaming it all on weather which is rather amusing . .

, I'm actually a sister, lol

Everyone here presumes I'm male for some reason.

Well, Fashola is currently the darling of Naija politics and sometimes admiration can make us partial. lets just hope his administration begins to tackle this, because it exposed a major weak link.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by jmaine: 9:27pm On Jul 13, 2011
londoner:

, I'm actually a sister, lol

Everyone here assumes I'm male for some reason.

Well, Fashola is currently the darling of Naija politics and sometimes admiration can make us partial. lets just hope his administration begins to tack this, because it exposed a major weak link.

Sorry sweetie  grin . .your moniker sounds so guyish,your gender not being defined. . Your intelligent flow of thoughts, and confidence  pass you off as a male at first thought cheesy     . . . I commend your objectivity in every post i have read wink wink . . .  keep it up  kiss kiss
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by londoner: 9:38pm On Jul 13, 2011
jmaine:

Sorry sweetie  grin . .your moniker sounds so guyish,your gender not being defined. . Your intelligent flow of thoughts, and confidence  pass you off as a male at first thought cheesy     . . . I commend your objectivity in every post i have read wink wink . . .  keep it up  kiss kiss

Thanks for the compliment (I think, lol). Yeah, I suppose I purposely did not specify my sex because I didn't want to arouse the gender bias some people have.

I will keep it up dear,
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Desola(f): 10:53pm On Jul 13, 2011
Sorry sweetie   . .your moniker sounds so guyish,your gender not being defined. . [b]Your intelligent flow of thoughts, and confidence  pass you off as a male [/b]at first thought . . . I commend your objectivity in every post i have read    . . .  keep it up   

How very sexist and condescending. As if to say that intelligence and confidence are virtues mostly displayed in men.

This is not a compliment at all.
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by aljharem3: 11:03pm On Jul 13, 2011
tpia@:

how exactly do you prevent flooding of this nature besides issuing warnings and evacuating people.

should he have evacuated most of the flood zones?

sorry saw this late wink

ok i think the first thing he could have done was to clear the gutter ways and make sure this gutters are leading somewhere, (this can be done way under a week)

secondly, areas like abule egba and co where there are no clear drainage, i think he could have prepared an emergence house for the people and could as well had built a barrier to offer some protection for there houses and properties

thirdly, i think he could have organised clean up teams ready, so as soon as the floods ends, they are ready to clear the gutters and water ways again for the next rain

i would think if he did all this, it would have reduce the severity of the suitation wink
Re: Has Fashola's Stock Fallen In The Past Few Days? by Kobojunkie: 11:07pm On Jul 13, 2011
alj_harem:

sorry saw this late wink

ok i think the first thing he could have done was to clear the gutter ways and make sure this gutters are leading somewhere, (this can be done way under a week)

secondly, areas like abule egba and co where there are no clear drainage, i think he could have prepared an emergence house for the people and could as well had built a barrier to offer some protection for there houses and properties

thirdly, i think he could have organised clean up teams ready, so as soon as the floods ends, they are ready to clear the gutters and water ways again for the next rain

i would think if he did all this, it would have reduce the severity of the suitation wink

OH!!! So you do use your head (you are able to get it out of the man's arse). And here I thought it impossible!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Revolution Is Inevitable In Nigeria By 2015 —buhari Says: “PDP Rigged 2011 Elect / 100 Boko Haram Invade Jos Last Night.vowed To Bomb Church Today / **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.