Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt (772 Views)

Iranians Storm Nigerian Embassy In Tehran To Protest Army Attack On Shiites / Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / VP Osinbajo At The Commssioning Of Ademola Hall At Nigerian Law School Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt by itsucks: 11:22am On Jul 13, 2011
I have been visiting Nairaland for about 2 years to read about latest events but never posted, however, I saw something embarrassing today and I must share!

I went over to the embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia today to get some documentation but upon getting there, i met a crowd of Nigerians outside gathered in small groups and shouting "Una no dey try for here o".
Getting closer i asked the security man who is from Bangladesh what was going on and he said that Tenaga Nasional, the electricity company of Malaysia came over to disconnect the electricity supply to the embassy because the embassy has refused to pay the bills. At first, it was like a bad joke, or a nightmare however, after 5 minutes, the story checks out. The electricity has been disconnected.

Folks often say it is the Nigerians living abroad that give us a bad image, however, in this case, our government is the culprit.
If you know the protocols involved for a utility company to come into the grounds of a foreign mission and disconnect the supply, u will be embarrassed. The company would have to be cleared by the Malaysian ministry of Foreign affairs which means this has been going on for a while for the foreign affair ministry to even issue Tenaga Nasional a permit to disconnect the power supply to the embassy.

This is truly embarrassing and makes me wonder if this embassies or ambassadors are even accountable to anyone in the first place.

The good part of it is that it portrays exactly what Nigeria looks like!
Re: Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 13, 2011
If diplomats are exempted from tax payment,shouldn't embassies be exempted from utility payment too ? Maybe the vienna protocol of dipomatic immunities didn't see this coming !
Re: Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt by itsucks: 11:39am On Jul 13, 2011
If utility is bring provided by a private company, i am sure the Vienna protocol of diplomatic immunities does not cover that
Re: Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 13, 2011
The host government is obligated to make provisions for the success of the embassy.The way you treat some special guests is the same you should treat a diplomat or embassy.The Nigerian embassy in kuala lumpur is a nigerian territory is that country. . .though this issue of private company enterting into an embassy is what I don't really know what to say about.honestly,it's embarrassing.
Re: Black-out At Nigerian Embassy In Kuala Lumpur Due To Debt by monkeyleg: 12:38pm On Jul 13, 2011
Typically Nigerian. The day we start telling ourselves the truth, probably change would begin

(1) (Reply)

Is Bishop Oyedepo, Rev Adegboye Fulani, They Are From Kwara State / Forbes: The Five Richest Nigerian Stockholders / News Release: Invitation To A Fifty-thousand-man-march In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.