Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. (3542 Views)

Britain, Sweden And Canada Criticise Nigeria For "Banning Freedom Of Speech" / Opinion: Why Do The Yorubas Exhibit High Level Of Religious Tolerance? / CIA Revision Of Nigeria's Ethnic And Religious Statistics. Shock Alert!! ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 4:22pm On May 15, 2022
My first time travelling out of Nigeria was in 2006 after being awarded a scholarship to study Maritime Law and Policy in Sweden at WMU,Malmo.

I went to the embassy to apply for visa and i was granted within a week with no fees.I contacted the embassy when they issued visa thinking they forget to collect cash payment.I was told the visa was gratis(free).

Before leaving Nigeria i was afraid my next destination could be a city hostile to muslims because of September 11,2001 terrorist event.I was a lady who wears hijab.I started to research on google to have a piece of information about Malmö city.I read online that the city hosted like 25% muslims from Bosnia,Middle East,Afghanistan,Iran and muslims from ethnic Swedes(minority).

On arrival to Sweden on a weekend,i was picked up at the Danish Kastrup airport to my hostel,it was a 30 mins drive along the Oresund bridge to Malmö.

I was paid 2,000 SeK and handed keys to my room.In the room were writing materials,books,a fridge,cooking utensils,5 towels and 2 beddings,duvet and a buss card provided by Malmö City Council.It was like a 4 star hotel where you are allowed to cook.Breakfast was provided for all students(Mon-Fri).

My buddy walked up to me,a Northerner took me round the city to buy what i needed and paid for my lunch.He was on field study the next day so i had to attach myself with Ghanian sisters,Agnes and Jemilah to take me to halal stores in other part of the city.

On resumption day,we took a buss to the school
Where we were given basic lessons on the course,school hostel and the Swedish society .

We also learnt about everyday Swedish(Greetings,food,Terminologies) to make our lives easier when purchasing stuffs at the stores.We were later taken to the Nordea bank to open our accounts.

The next day at school,when it was time for prayers,The muslims went to the prayer room provided by the school.The room is rugged,Rosary and Quran are kept in the room.

Instances of Religious tolerance in Sweden

1.Malmö has a central mosque close to Jägersro,The Swedish pupil all across the city go to the mosque for excursion.The mosque also runs a primary school where both muslim and christians attend.Students are not mandated to wear hijab.Students decide what they want to wear.

2.I once attended a Adult language school called”komvux”.A new student wanted to pray and didnt know where to observe her solat.The teacher permitted her to pray in her office without any fuss.

3.I also attended a college owned by the church,they observe christian morning prayers,no student was forced to partake in this despite the fact that the new batch of students were mainly from Iran,Afghanistan,Iraq,Somalia.I was never judged for being a muslim with hijab,the teachers were respectful,kind and willing to help at all times even the receptionist.They treat like human being with dignity and we converse like buddies.

Copied
Share your experience about religious tolerance you had outside Nigeria.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by rusher14: 4:28pm On May 15, 2022
Nigerians aren't ready for this.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Mandate2023: 4:31pm On May 15, 2022
All dis that u have enjoyed in a Christian western world is just to make u understand that christianity is love, peace and happiness

Meanwhile if it was in the Islamic dominated country Christian women will be forced to use hijab

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 4:36pm On May 15, 2022
Mandate2023:
All dis that u have enjoyed in a Christian western world is just to make u understand that christianity is love, peace and happiness
Meanwhile if it was in the Islamic dominated country Christian women will be forced to use hijab
On the contrary Swedish is an aethist Country not Christian.They only celebrate Christian holidays nothing like bible or going to church.Witches are celebrated during Easter.

What is missing in Nigeria is ””humanity and empathy for one another”.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by TheNiceGuy(m): 4:48pm On May 15, 2022
Whatever you say! But to remind you, NO COMPULSION IN RELIGION is what we read in Qur'an.

However, Lemme ask you and others seeing this HARMLESS QUESTIONS with sincere response.

As a Nigerian Christian, are you also exhibiting that peace, love and happiness in your doctrine to others through your actions?

Or is it only ''words of mouth"?
Mandate2023:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Perfectnumber6(m): 4:51pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:
My first time travelling out of Nigeria was in 2006 after being awarded a scholarship to study Maritime Law and Policy in Sweden at WMU,Malmo.

I went to the embassy to apply for visa and i was granted within a week with no fees.I contacted the embassy when they issued visa thinking they forget to collect cash payment.I was told the visa was gratis(free).

Before leaving Nigeria i was afraid my next destination could be a city hostile to muslims because of September 11,2001 terrorist event.I was a lady who wears hijab.I started to research on google to have a piece of information about Malmö city.I read online that the city hosted like 25% muslims from Bosnia,Middle East,Afghanistan,Iran and muslims from ethnic Swedes(minority).

On arrival to Sweden on a weekend,i was picked up at the Danish Kastrup airport to my hostel,it was a 30 mins drive along the Oresund bridge to Malmö.

I was paid 2,000 SeK and handed keys to my room.In the room were writing materials,books,a fridge,cooking utensils,5 towels and 2 beddings,duvet and a buss card provided by Malmö City Council.It was like a 4 star hotel where you are allowed to cook.Breakfast was provided for all students(Mon-Fri).

My buddy walked up to me,a Northerner took me round the city to buy what i needed and paid for my lunch.He was on field study the next day so i had to attach myself with Ghanian sisters,Agnes and Jemilah to take me to halal stores in other part of the city.

On resumption day,we took a buss to the school
Where we were given basic lessons on the course,school hostel and the Swedish society .

We also learnt about everyday Swedish(Greetings,food,Terminologies) to make our lives easier when purchasing stuffs at the stores.We were later taken to the Nordea bank to open our accounts.

The next day at school,when it was time for prayers,The muslims went to the prayer room provided by the school.The room is rugged,Rosary and Quran are kept in the room.

Instances of Religious tolerance in Sweden

1.Malmö has a central mosque close to Jägersro,The Swedish pupil all across the city go to the mosque for excursion.The mosque also runs a primary school where both muslim and christians attend.Students are not mandated to wear hijab.Students decide what they want to wear.

2.I once attended a Adult language school called”komvux”.A new student wanted to pray and didnt know where to observe her solat.The teacher permitted her to pray in her office without any fuss.

3.I also attended a college owned by the church,they observe christian morning prayers,no student was forced to partake in this despite the fact that the new batch of students were mainly from Iran,Afghanistan,Iraq,Somalia.I was never judged for being a muslim with hijab,the teachers were respectful,kind and willing to help at all times even the receptionist.They treat like human being with dignity and we converse like buddies.

Copied
Share your experience about religious tolerance you had outside Nigeria.

Northern Nigerian Muslims are all hypocrites yes i said it ..

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Buckeyemedia1: 4:55pm On May 15, 2022
Mandate2023:

Have you been to The UAE just to douse your mumurism?, please ignorant people like you wey never reach inside airport before, should not comment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Buckeyemedia1: 4:59pm On May 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Whatever you say! But to remind you, NO COMPULSION IN RELIGION is what we read in Qur'an.

However, Lemme ask you and others seeing this HARMLESS QUESTIONS with sincere response.

As a Nigerian, are you also exhibiting that peace, love and happiness in your doctrine to others through your actions?

Na mouth, just to shout Jesus with mouth, no action.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 15, 2022
Fairly tales.

Was it not in sweden that some people burnt the koran which led to a brutal riot in 2020

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by headbasher96(m): 5:04pm On May 15, 2022
But your muslim brothers up north cant accomodate christians.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Buckeyemedia1: 5:04pm On May 15, 2022
Okonandmary:
Fairly tales.

Was it not in sweden that some people burnt the koran which led to a riot in 2020

Okon no vex for Mary, she is speaking from her own personal experience, one man’s life, is another man’s fairy tale.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Irupetepete: 5:04pm On May 15, 2022
While studying at unilorin, tanke is where my lodge is...
The brainwashing there is on another level...
Early morning recitations by these young Muslims be ritual....
They were taught never to have anything to do with Christians... This I know how?
We normally go there to fetch water early in the morning... We normally come with our own fetcher but this particular day, we didn't bring ours...
A little boy of about 7yrs told the Muslim sister fetching that when she is done, "don't give this Christian boda o".
If you think this is a lie, go to tanke, before you get to their primary school, there is a house they sell provisions, that's the house

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Justiceleague1: 5:06pm On May 15, 2022
rusher14:
Nigerians aren't ready for this.
yes but you are ever ready to harvest somebody's head and mine it's skull grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Justiceleague1: 5:08pm On May 15, 2022
afonja:
viewing topic: AlarmBlow buckeyemedia1 under intense hunger and looking for whose pocket to pick grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by sreamsense: 5:33pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

On the contrary Swedish is an aethist Country not Christian.They only celebrate Christian holidays nothing like bible or going to church.Witches are celebrated during Easter.

What is missing in Nigeria is ””humanity and enpathy for one another”.

It is not true in term of your Sweden religion claim, it is a Christian country, they are about 10.4 millions in population, more than 61% are identified as Christians. Google it yourself. You just enjoyed the good will of Christianity liberalism, if it were in Muslim country, my sister, your experience won't be like that. Is either you don't go out to mingle with people, ask questions, environment you find yourself or isolated yourself because of your religion practice, authentic official statistics shows Christianity is highest. If you don't follow them to Church, you be less concern about if they go with Bible or not.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 5:51pm On May 15, 2022
sreamsense:

It is not true in term of your Sweden religion claim, it is a Christian country, they are about 10.4 millions in population, more than 61% are identified as Christians. Google it yourself. You just enjoyed the good will of Christianity liberalism, if it were in Muslim country, my sister, your experience won't be like that. Is either you don't go out to mingle with people, ask questions, environment you find yourself or isolated yourself because of your religion practice, authentic official statistics shows Christianity is highest. If you don't follow them to Church, you be less concern about if they go with Bible or not.

The Swedes only attend churches for Burials.Weddings are not popular in Sweden but cohabitation(Sambo).The sect of Xtianity in Sweden is Lutheran.

The Svenska Kyrka is responsible for grave sites in Sweden.Grave sites are built besides churches.They are also responsible for Muslim grave sites.

Swedish churches are close to residential areas
Na Africans dey go church pass in industrial zones because with noise pollution,Swedes will call police on you.Mosques donot use loud speakers too.

The people who attend Swedish churches are Iranians and Afghans.The real Swedes go to Club house.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Mandate2023: 5:55pm On May 15, 2022
Buckeyemedia1:
Have you been to The UAE just to douse your mumurism?, please ignorant people like you wey never reach inside airport before, should not comment.

U r an idiot.......oloriburuku, in UAE there are some no go area for non muslims, Dubai was created to accept tourists and make money....UAE has 7 state and its only Dubai and Abu Dhabi that tolerates a little bit of western system while d remaining 5 state r core sharia state with zero tolerance for western culture

Idiot have u travel out of ur state b4 by air talk more 9f leaving Nigeria

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by sreamsense: 5:58pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

The Swedes only attend churches for Burial.Weddings are not popular in Sweden but cohabitation.The Svenska Kyrka is responsible for grave sites in Sweden.Grave sites are built besides churches.They are also responsible for Muslim grave sites.

Na Africans dey go church pass in industrial zones because with noise pollution,Swedes will call police on you.Mosques donot use loud speakers too.
Whether they attend church for burial or wedding only is not an issue of discussion here, issue here is that it is a Christian country and since you don't follow them to church, you will know little about activity happening inside church. If they put Bible on their seats in churches like they do in some churches or everything is about digital Bible will you know? Your interest majorly is about your study, it is possible for you not to pay attention to other things around you except your study and religion.

Atheist is not even number four in term of religion population in Sweden, do your research very well. Islam is about 2.3%, about 241,933 in population mostly foreigners followed by buhdishm. It is because local Muslims are minority that make the place so peaceful and make you enjoy good will of christian virtues, but even recently, there was protest of muslims about burning of Quran in Sweden, so you can't rule out insurgency in nearest future wanting to retaliate.

If local swedes begins to accept Islam in their numbers, you will be hearing about Sweden regularly if not for terrorism check, it will be bomb scare, but now is under control

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 6:04pm On May 15, 2022
sreamsense:

Whether they attend for burial or wedding only is not an issue here, issue here is that it is a Christian country and since you don't follow them to church, you will know little about activity happening inside church. If they put Bible on their seats in churches like they do in some churches, will you know? Your interest majorly is about your study, it is possible for you not to pay attention to other things around you exc pt your study and religion.
Ask Nigerian christians who live there on the travel section,i will not argue with you.Anyone can enter the Swedish church,they dont care who you are.I did accompany some friends to a Swedish church,it was mainly elderly people volunteering to help migrants.

The Swedish people are very different from the Nigerian xtians.I had one Christian Iraqi friend who didnt get much help from the church while they gave Afghans,Iranians all the support because they were new converts.
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 6:06pm On May 15, 2022
Mandate2023:

U r an idiot.......oloriburuku, in UAE there are some no go area for non muslims, Dubai was created to accept tourists and make money....UAE has 7 state and its only Dubai and Abu Dhabi that tolerates a little bit of western system while d remaining 5 state r core sharia state with zero tolerance for western culture

Idiot have u travel out of ur state b4 by air talk more 9f leaving Nigeria
Ewo te pe,it is not necessary.Correct him without using swear words.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by cocolacec(m): 6:13pm On May 15, 2022
Okonandmary:
Fairly tales.

Was it not in sweden that some people burnt the koran which led to a brutal riot in 2020

The burning of the Quran is done by far right extremists in Sweden/Denmark.They believe Sweden for Swedes alone ,no migrants shouldnot be given special priviledges. They exist all over Europe.

Their anti-immigrants politicians are the ones renting apartments to Arab and African refugees.
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by D1official: 6:18pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

The Swedes only attend churches for Burials.Weddings are not popular in Sweden but cohabitation(Sambo).The sect of Xtianity in Sweden is Lutheran.

The Svenska Kyrka is responsible for grave sites in Sweden.Grave sites are built besides churches.They are also responsible for Muslim grave sites.

The people who attend Swedish churches are Iranians and Afghans.The real Swedes go to Club house.

What's your point exactly?

Always trying to magnify "nothingness" all in the name of atheism.

If not for Christian liberalism you know there will be no such words as atheist.

That's why you cowards are non existent in Islamic world.

If you know and have the truth you have no need to enforce it on people. And that's what we Christians represent

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by AndroBlaze: 6:19pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

LOL its like saying Dubai is not an islamic state because the people there have chosen not to be as barbaric as some northerners here have consistently chosen to....Sweden is a Christian country built on Christian principles with Christian history, everybody doesn't have to go to church to make that more or less true. Same way unauthorized stonings and mob fanaticism will never make northern muslims more muslim than the Arabs of Saudi and UAE.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Puskas: 6:24pm On May 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

As a Nigerian, are you also exhibiting that peace, love and happiness in your doctrine to others through your actions?

Oga this your lies is already stale. Stop littering nairaland with half baked lies from the pit of hell. There's nothing like tolerance in Islam. Islam is rebranded cult destroying the world

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by sreamsense: 6:50pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

Ask Nigerian christians who live there on the travel section,i will not argue with you.Anyone can enter the Swedish church,they dont care who you are.I did accompany some friends to a Swedish church,it was mainly elderly people volunteering to help migrants.

The Swedish people are very different from the Nigerian xtians.I had one Christian Iraqi friend who didnt get much help from the church while they gave Afghans,Iranians all the support because they were new converts.
You may enter the church freely because Christians are open minded ; you properly followed somebody enter church when program never started, so you may still not know if they go with Bible or not. Christian core principles are the same everywhere in term of openness, liberalism, until ISIS or local terrorist organization begins to teach churches how to close their doors and restrict movement when church program never start. It is the same part of freedom that makes people to choose to become atheist or not, ordinary conversion from Islam to Christianity is a war on its own that may even lead to killing of convert, even though; they profess no compulsion which only Christian practice in conduct

Nigeria was once close to that level of Sweden to some extent before Boko Haram came to spoil everything and taught Churches how to always close their doors and monitor surrounding areas. USA was better than now in term of openness until Osama 9/11. Aside that, you are enlighten, educated and assumed to be from Western Nigeria where good Islam is practiced, if others like Northern Muslims and some other countries can learn from South West Islamic ideology, no one will be scared to relate with Muslim for fear of unknown. Leave and let leave!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by nekejinsi(m): 7:01pm On May 15, 2022
Sweden is a Scandinavian nation simply put they are not aethist but worshippers of nord gods ( Nordic religion)
cocolacec:

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by drlateef: 7:02pm On May 15, 2022
Mandate2023:

You made an error. Sweden is now a majority atheist country. Check google.
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by drlateef: 7:03pm On May 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:

Yes I do. Get close to a true Muslim who is educated about his religion. You will learn a lot.
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

Swedish isn't an atheist country, about 55 per cent of the Swedish population are members of the Church of Sweden.

Historically, it is a Christian country, hence the celebration of Christian holidays. Western civilization of which sweden is a part has its roots in Christianity

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

The burning of the Quran is done by far right extremists in Sweden/Denmark.They believe Sweden for Swedes alone ,no migrants shouldnot be given special priviledges. They exist all over Europe.

Their anti-immigrants politicians are the ones renting apartments to Arab and African refugees.

They exist all over Europe

Yes, which make them intolerant.
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by Mandate2023: 7:24pm On May 15, 2022
cocolacec:

Ewo te pe,it is not necessary.Correct him without using swear words.

Emi gan fooor after typing it grin grin grin

Its just annoying when dey come online forming woke and it's all lie, dey know nothing
Re: My Experience In Sweden And Religious Tolerance. by TheNiceGuy(m): 7:38pm On May 15, 2022
That's not my question
Puskas:
Oga this your lies is already stale. Stop littering nairaland with half baked lies from the pit of hell. There's nothing like tolerance in Islam. Islam is rebranded cult destroying the world

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Stupidity Of APC Yorubas Will Put Other Yorubas Across Nigeria At Risk / Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities / Apapa Issues Warning Letter To Obi: You Will Be Suspended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.