Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) (824 Views)

Help Needed On Biometric/smart Card Reader Application. / Need To Know How To Read And Write Using Omnikey Card Reader. / Programming The Barcode Reader In Visual Basic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Zeta(m): 12:09am On Jul 14, 2011
Hi, fellas. I just created a free program which makes it possible to create what I call 'Story trees'.

Story Trees are stories that don't have to have just one ending. Short-story writers, novelists and such will find this program invaluable. This program would make it possible for writers to push their imaginations, to provide several plausible possibilities to the same situation of a character.

In the end, story trees give human readers a more enjoyable reading experience cos they get to follow a character all over again through some other path in the story tree. 

StoryTree documents are saved with a .str file extension, but inside them is just plain xml. The xml simply holds info about the coordinates of parts of the story and the coordinates of the branches, and also the text assigned to each part of the story. 

I need someone(s) to program a standard reader(not too complex, though) for this writer program(I found it a bit difficult to do myself, okay I'll confess, the reader I wrote is just too lame to make public.) and post the link to download the reader here for checking out. I used IzPack to make the Java installer for the Writer program, then used Launch4j to make the installer a .exe. I know a lot of people don't have the java runtime environment already installed in their computers so I went the extra mile to make it easy for non-programmers to use.   

The link to the StoryTreeWriter installer is http://www.4shared.com/file/7tOLL0a_/StoryTreeExeInstaller.html ,  it also includes the source code(I wasn't kidding when I said this program is free). Try out the program and any comments or problems you encounter(my code wasn't too commented so I expect some bewilderment) can be posted here. 

Lets make story-trees a reality. Let something good come out of Nigeria.

My emails are efeariaroo4real@yahoo.com and efeariaroo@gmail.com. My phone number is +2347037122181.

Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Fayimora(m): 4:21am On Jul 14, 2011
Do you have a dmg image?,
Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Zeta(m): 4:52am On Jul 14, 2011
I don't know what a dmg image is?
Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Fayimora(m): 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2011
errm like exe for mac, so its .dmg
Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Zeta(m): 9:25pm On Jul 14, 2011
Sorry. I don't have a .dmg image. I got some complaints about the .exe I created. I've been working on the program on my computer alone and in the run down village where I'm at I can't test the program on another system. I think I should have just stuck with the program being a .jar.

I'll upload another version of the installer program and post the link here, but this time the program will be with a java archive. This would be a great way to test Java's so called 'platform independence' if someone ran my program on a mac or linux machine.

Sorry for giving anyone any inconvenience.
Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Zeta(m): 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
Re: Every Writer Needs A Reader(Java inclined assistance) by Zeta(m): 10:30pm On Jul 14, 2011
The kind of reader I had in mind should be something like Adobe reader, but without all those unnecessary stuff that nobody uses. The reader I had in mind will simply provide a convenient means to view the story tree, click on a node, and see the page displayed(possibly hide the story tree when a user is reading the text at a node). There should also be previous page, next page, and page jump functionality. The text on a page should be big enough for anyone to read, so there'll be no need for all that zoom in, zoom out crap. I think that's enough.

What I had in mind should look something like the image I attached suggests. Any way I can help let me know.

(1) (Reply)

Code Refactoring / Advice From An Old Programmer / How Can Do This On A Java Derby Resultset

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.