Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,184 members, 7,953,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea (479 Views)

IPOB: Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s ₦‎1 Billion Suit Against FG / Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail Application / Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Fundamental Rights Suit Against DSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:29am On May 18, 2022
A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Wednesday, refused to admit the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, to bail.

Justice Binta Nyako, in a ruling, held that since Kanu was earlier granted bail in 2017 and jumped the bail, the court must first determine the real reason he jumped the bail before applying for another one.

Justice Nyako then dismissed the application for bail.

The court had, on April 8, exonerated the Federal Government on the allegation that the leader of the IPOB was forcefully abducted abroad to stand his trial.

Nyako, in a ruling, held that rendition for the purpose of criminal investigation is allowed.

Nyako said since Kanu was on a bench warrant, the law allowed that anywhere he is sighted, he can be arrested and be brought to face his trial.

“Rendition for the purpose of criminal investigation is allowed.

“In the instant case, there is a bench warrant on the defendant (Kanu). Suffice to say, he is a fugitive before the court,” she said.

The judge, who dismissed Kanu’s move to challenge the terrorism charge, upheld seven counts in the fresh charge filed by the federal government against the IPOB leader.

Nyako said that the federal government, through the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, had been able to established some allegations against Kanu in counts one, two, three, four, five, eight and 15.

“Counts one, two, three, four, five, eight and 15 show some allegations. The court shall proceed to try the defendant (Kanu) on those counts, ” she ruled.

After the review of the 15 counts, she held that about eight of the counts appeared to be similar and did not disclose action.

She, therefore, ordered that counts six, seven, nine, 10, 11, 12 13 and 14 should be struck out.

Nyako also ruled that the order proscribing IPOB as a terror group still subsisted until it was vacated since the issue was still on appeal.

She dismissed the argument of Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, counsel for Kanu, that whether IPOB was a terrorist organisation under the Nigerian law or not was still a subject of an appeal.

As of the time of filing this report, the hearing in the matter is still ongoing.
(NAN)

https://punchng.com/breaking-court-dismisses-nnamdi-kanus-bail-plea/

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by MadamExcellency: 11:30am On May 18, 2022
The logic by the honourable judge is perfect "the court must first determine the real reason he jumped the bail before applying for another one".

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Okoroawusa: 11:30am On May 18, 2022
Gidgiddy come and see something
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Cubalabloo(m): 11:34am On May 18, 2022
Free Mazi Kanu or we will boycot 2023 elections.
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Lionnation: 11:34am On May 18, 2022
Following, . ..binta have you not heard that buhari sent his army terrorist to his house to kill him, and he escaped, what else do you want to determine, the evidences are there

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by KingsCity: 11:35am On May 18, 2022
The man should be allowed to go home to his wife and children
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by okeysoninv: 11:36am On May 18, 2022
it's only a mad man that will demand for a release of that terrorist Nnamdi kanu. release him to continue causing wahala in Igbo. dss should inject him doses of killer chemical so that he can die slowly and painful
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Lionnation: 11:37am On May 18, 2022
Cubalabloo:
free him or not elections will be boycotted
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by michlins(m): 11:40am On May 18, 2022
These people should please wrap up this case so these criminals will not have any reason to constrain the movement of legitimate business and people.

Small businesses like mine is dying because we can't just relocate.
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by omenka(m): 11:40am On May 18, 2022
Cubalabloo:
Is that all? cheesy

Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by omenka(m): 11:43am On May 18, 2022
michlins:
These people should please wrap up this case so these criminals will not have any reason to constrain the movement of legitimate business and people.

Small businesses like mine is dying because we can't just relocate.
Your brothers say the media is exaggerating the severity of the situation on the East. That it is as peaceful as ever. Your comment is in contrast to that. Who do we believe?
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Cubalabloo(m): 11:43am On May 18, 2022
Lionnation:
free him or not elections will be boycotted
The government does not have our interest at heart. Failed government. Failed nation. Biafra must stand!
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by michlins(m): 11:48am On May 18, 2022
omenka:
Your brothers say the media is exaggerating the severity of the situation on the East. That it is as peaceful as ever. Your comment is in contrast to that. Who do we believe?
ask any of them what is their business and you will see they're as jobless as or simply working in factories and they see this lockdown as holidays. What they don't know is that in a few months, the company will relocate or close down and they'll turn jobless

I'm a welder and I know what it took me to set up this business. Doing business under Buhari regime is an entirely different level of wahala, you come add the lack of investment caused by the lockdown.

I know someone who is based in Lagos who was setting up a factory where iron doors will be manufactured,dude hasn't stepped into Anambra State since December. Of course he's already rich and can afford to write off the investment and take it elsewhere but I don't have that financial strength and millions are just like me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by TermuxDarkWeb(m): 11:50am On May 18, 2022
gringringringringringringringrin

It's a welcome development
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by Cubalabloo(m): 11:54am On May 18, 2022
omenka:
Is that all? cheesy
You won't understand till shit happens.
Re: Biafra: Federal High Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Plea by omenka(m): 12:32pm On May 18, 2022
michlins:
ask any of them what is their business and you will see they're as jobless as or simply working in factories and they see this lockdown as holidays. What they don't know is that in a few months, the company will relocate or close down and they'll turn jobless

I'm a welder and I know what it took me to set up this business. Doing business under Buhari regime is an entirely different level of wahala, you come add the lack of investment caused by the lockdown.

I know someone who is based in Lagos who was setting up a factory where iron doors will be manufactured,dude hasn't stepped into Anambra State since December. Of course he's already rich and can afford to write off the investment and take it elsewhere but I don't have that financial strength and millions are just like me
Fantastic work you've got there. It's just a pity this is affecting innocent and hardworking people like you more. I sincerely pray a solution is found to the menace soonest, especially for the sake of folks like you.

Cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Attack On Ekweremadu Is Prove That Enugu APC Chairman Is Working For PDP - Group / Gov Wike- Another Pensioner Is Dead. / Rotimi Amechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.