Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,652 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) (77385 Views)

Thousands Of Birds Drop Dead From The Sky In New Mexico (Photos) / Thousands Of Rare Alien-Like Sea Creatures Worth £50K Wash Up On UK Beach (Pics) / Ethiopia Admits Shooting Down Kenyan Aircraft Taking Medical Supplies To Somalia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 2:18pm On May 18, 2022
For more than three weeks, the 40-wagon train carrying some 2 million litres has been the only source of water in Rajasthan’s Pali district.

Hundreds of millions of people in South Asia have been sweltering in an early summer heatwave in recent weeks, with India seeing its warmest March on record. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

A man fixing a pipe on a tanker to store water in the underground tanks being supplied by a special train on a hot summer day in Pali, Rajasthan state, India. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

Afroz misses school every day to spend hours waiting with a handcart full of containers for a special train bringing precious water to people suffering a heatwave in India’s desert state of Rajasthan.

Temperatures often exceed 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) here, but this year the heat came early in what many experts say is more proof of climate change making life unbearable for India’s 1.35 billion people.

“It’s always been very hot here and we have always struggled for water,” said Afroz, 13, as he waited in Pali district for the second time that day for the special train.

“But I don’t remember filling up containers in April.”

For more than three weeks now, the 40-wagon train – carrying some 2 million litres (528,344 gallons) – has been the only source of water for thousands of people in the district.

Every day, dozens of people, mostly women and children, jostle with blue plastic jerry cans and metal pots to fill from hoses gushing water out of the army-green train into an underground tank.

In India and Pakistan, 'more intense heatwaves of longer durations and occurring at a higher frequency are projected', the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said in a recent landmark report. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

The 'cascading impacts' of heatwaves on agricultural output, water, energy supplies and other sectors are already apparent, World Meteorological Organization chief Petteri Taalas said this month. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

Water has been dispatched by train to Pali before, but according to local railway officials, the shortage this year was already critical in April so they started early.

The wagons – filled in Jodhpur, about 65km (40 miles) away – are first emptied into cement storage tanks, from which the water is sent to a treatment plant for filtering and distribution.

But for Afroz’s family and many others like them, life is easier if they fill directly from the storage tanks, despite the water being untreated.

That their children skip school at times to ensure there is water in the house is what hits the families the most.

A railway employee inspecting a tanker filled with water of a special train before dispatching for the Pali district on a hot summer day at Bhagat Ki Kothi railway station in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

[img]https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/000_329Y2RA.jpg?fit=1170%2C780 [/img]
Health experts say high humidity and heat can create 'wet-bulb temperatures' so vicious that sweating no longer cools people down, potentially killing a healthy adult within hours. [Prakash Singh/AFP]

“I can’t ask the breadwinner of the family to help me. Otherwise, we’ll be struggling for both food and water,” Afroz’s mother Noor Jahan said as she filled up an aluminium pot.

“It is affecting my child’s education, but what do I do? I cannot carry all these containers on my own,” she said.

“I have already made three trips from my house in the last one hour. And I’m the only one who can do it,” said Laxmi, another woman collecting water, pointing to cracks on her feet.

“We have no direct water to our homes and it is so hot. What are we supposed to do if something happens to us while we walk up and down to fetch water?”

The pond, which was the main source of water for both residents and their animals, has been dry for almost two years because of low rainfall. The shells of dead turtles litter the cracked mud.

“Farmers have been severely impacted,” Shivaram said. “Some of our animals have died too.”

Source: Aljazeera

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 2:18pm On May 18, 2022

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by AJOBI77(m): 2:23pm On May 18, 2022
Wonderful grin

2 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by tillaman(m): 2:28pm On May 18, 2022
Things dey sup jare

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Uprightness100(m): 3:19pm On May 18, 2022
GOD Have mercy!
All over the world, The Shadows of the Great tribulation is casting itself on us as we are seeing various forms of Orchestrated global Shortages that could lead to Choas.

Right now we are witnessing,
Water shortages
Wheat shortages
Baby formula shortages
Coal shortages
Corn shortages
Cooking oil shortages
Diesel shortages
Egg shortages
Fertilizer shortages
Gas shortages
Labor shortages
Medicine shortages
Meat shortages
Milk shortages
Oats shortages
Power shortages
Petrol shortages
Pet Food shortages
Pasta shortages
Plant-based proteins shortages
Soybeans shortages
Semiconductors shortages
Supply chain orchestrated shortages

Anymoment, anyday now, there will be a worldwide Human global shortage following the Rapture, which will plunge Planet earth into a total global Collapse.

JESUS Christ is Coming Quickly. Live in the Conciousness of HIS Coming. It is gonna be Suddenly, in a time you least expect.

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by puremaker7(m): 3:28pm On May 18, 2022
I don't even know what Nigeria Government good at apart from stealing

If this kind of heat happen in Nigeria, you are on your own.
federal government will deny it, and Buhari will be shock, nothing more.

219 Likes 18 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Kharol1234: 3:30pm On May 18, 2022
We dey enjoy for this country

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 7:26pm On May 18, 2022
Kharol1234:
We dey enjoy for this country
I'm telling you bro.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by majamajic(m): 8:23pm On May 18, 2022
We need this in some part of lagos

2 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by JosephXavier: 8:23pm On May 18, 2022
This is a country that is innovative and their responsible government are working for the purpose of fulfilling their constitutional responsibilities

Would Nigeria learn from this and make it a task to do some of the things they were voted for

If Nigerians FG can fix our refinery so as to refine our oil it will be a great achievement at least

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:23pm On May 18, 2022
We should be grateful for life in Nigeria but that doesn't mean we shouldn't 'japa' if that's what our souls desire.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by FalseProphet1(m): 8:23pm On May 18, 2022
If this was Nigeria, bandits would blow up the train, and the masses who are benefiting from the water supply would be left to die of thirst.

We are our own problem in this country.

This I have seen.

47 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Shellsploit: 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
Amazing train!
Rotimi Amaechi sef shocked

1 Like

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by dynicks(m): 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
While the proceeds from a certain part of the country NIGERIA, supplies billions of naira to few pockets of certain individuals in the country!......

6 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by AmazingELixir: 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
lipsrsealed

No useless god_forsaken abokii don go loose and steal rail nuts and bolts for those tracks oo.

I went to Arena shopping plaza at Oshodi the other day..on crossing the Lagos owned rail track I discovered they have practically stolen all the contoured metal fixture holding the rail track to the metal base and today around CMS_ Marina area several manhole covers have been removed.

And you people want to tell me that these useless people are not Nigeria's nemesis.

18 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by WiszyFraud: 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
shocked
Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by devilmaycry: 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
Very unfortunate....we are living in worst times brothers.
Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Coolhaywhy(m): 8:24pm On May 18, 2022
They might have good leaders at the top but nature has seriously been unkind to them........ While nature has been kind to us in Nigeria, our leaders remains our greatest nightmare!

Almost all houses have access to water, either through borehole or well. We don't rely on our government for this.

We are grateful Lord, regardless of whatever is going on in this country.

14 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by DavSagacity(m): 8:25pm On May 18, 2022
If na my beloved country, na inside one jungle the diesel inside the train go finish. One week them still dey find diesel to move the train comot for bush.

6 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by OMOJOHN001: 8:26pm On May 18, 2022
This is why I love NIGER-DELTA REPUBLIC
God bless BIAFRA AND DELTA STATE
NIGER-DELTA REPPING

2 Likes

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by ZombieTAMER: 8:26pm On May 18, 2022
puremaker7:
I don't even know what Nigeria Government good at apart from stealing

Brace yourself

king of thieves Tinubu is coming grin

Ask mc Oluomo
Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by Wazobia2216: 8:27pm On May 18, 2022
The stench from Indian no go be for here

So all these no water, no toilet wey we dey watch for movies na true

Hmmmm na wa! I strongly believe that the governments can do better

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Train Supplies 2 Million Litres Of Water To Thousands Of Indians (Photos) by ubreal(m): 8:27pm On May 18, 2022
We dey enjoy for naija here just that
bad leadership mo allow us grow!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Convoy Transporting Equipment For Russia's Nuclear Forces On The Move (pictures) / Zelensky Visits Bucha Town, Where 300 Ukranians Were Butchered (Graphic Photos) / Taliban Celebrate Their New US Arsenal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.