Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,609 members, 7,851,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:08 PM

What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? (1809 Views)

Soldiers Step Up Their Game:See Pics Of Some Ammunitions Use In Boko Haram Fight / Check Out These Old Nigerian ‪currency‬. Were You Born When These Were In Use? / 8 Killed In Pre-election Violence In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by OmoTier1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
What was the currency in use in the different regions that now make up Nigeria? Or did they not have any currency in use?
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 9:50pm On Jul 14, 2011
In Igboland and Eastern part of the Niger River, cowrie shells were used as a medium of exchage. There were times when currency were not required but by barter.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by Eziachi: 9:56pm On Jul 14, 2011
^^^^^
You are bang on the money my brothers, as long as I know, Ndigbo's currency before Nigeria was the cowries or direct barter. Until of late most Igbo communities still use the cowries during bride price negociation symbolically andd then each cowrie will represent a certain amount in modern currency.

I don't know if some still do it today.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 9:58pm On Jul 14, 2011
Eziachi:

^^^^^
You are slam on the money my brothers, as long as I know, Ndigbo's currency before Nigeria was the cowries or direct barter. Until of late most Igbo communities still use the cowries during bride price negociation symbolically andd then each cowrie will represent a certain amount in modern currency.

I don't know if some still do it today.
Yea, we are saying the same thing. Ego kirikiri.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by tpia5: 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2011
cowrie, british pounds, etc.

this is supposed to be common knowledge.

is the poster nigerian?
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by Eziachi: 10:12pm On Jul 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Yea, we are saying the same thing. Ego kirikiri.
YEAH! Ego kirikiri.
Ego nna anyi kpara gboo, owu ego kirikiri- Ego ejiri luo nne muru anyi!
Do you know that folk song by Ihiagwa Owerre people?
great music ! grin
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by Eziachi: 10:17pm On Jul 14, 2011
tpia@:
cowrie, british pounds, etc.

this is supposed to be common knowledge.

is the poster nigerian?
Are you sure others like the Fulani used the cowrie? British pound doesn't count as the poster was asking about the currency used pre-Nigeria, ie before the white man arrived, when we hadly knew about the existence of each other except neighbours.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 10:24pm On Jul 14, 2011
@the poster, this song will help you.
[flash=425,325]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDS7FXCOXg&feature=related[/flash]
Thanks Mazi Eziachi.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by tpia5: 10:28pm On Jul 14, 2011
Eziachi:

Are you sure others like the Fulani used the cowrie? British pound doesn't count as the poster was asking about the currency used pre-Nigeria, ie before the white man arrived, when we hadly knew about the existence of each other except neighbours.

the halfpenny and shilling were in use prior to the formation of nigeria.

so, likewise, the british pound.

i posted pictures a long time ago, of the stamps used before the amalgamation, when nigeria was divided into protectorates.

before british rule, during slave trade, i think it was cowries and manillas [in some areas- not too sure where]

also other things like guns, iron bars, etc.

in the north, maybe salt- not sure.
Re: What Currency Was In Use In Pre-nigeria? by tpia5: 10:33pm On Jul 14, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Was Founded On Deceit, Greed And Lies. / Youths Seek N150m Payout From Police Over Killing Of Colleague / A Top Nigerian Cardiolosgist Has Been Named Among Top Cardiologist In New York.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.