Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,364 members, 7,853,634 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:30 PM

Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: (155 Views)

Putin Sends Russian Soldiers To Niger Republic. / Russia Gives Ukrainian Troops At Azovstal steel plant 4pm Today To Surrender / Mali Coup: UN Security Council Orders Soldiers To Return To Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: by KillerCrocodile: 11:19am On May 23, 2022
Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-Held Donetsk :

The report did not specify what charges the surrendered Ukrainian soldiers from Azovstal steel plant would face.

The leader of Ukraine's breakaway Donetsk People's Republic on Monday said the fighters who surrendered at the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol will a face trial in the separatist region, Interfax news agency reported.

"The prisoners from Azovstal are being held on the territory of the Donetsk People's Republic," Interfax quoted Denis Pushilin as saying. "Organising an international tribunal on the republic's territory is also planned."

Recall that According to Moscow officials, Friday's evacuation means a total of 2,439 Ukrainian fighters have now surrendered from the steel works in recent days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ndtv.com/world-news/ukraine-steel-plant-soldiers-to-face-trial-in-russia-held-donetsk-report-3000989/amp/1

Ukrainian Authorities in Kyiv have also started their War Crimes Trial Last week:

A Russian tank commander who pleaded guilty earlier this week to shooting dead an unarmed Ukrainian civilian has said he will accept any punishment from the court, on the third day of the first war crimes trial resulting from Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Vadim Shysimarin, 21, told courtroom No 201 of the Kyiv tribunal that he “was nervous about what was going on” on the day 62-year-old Oleksandr Shelipov died and that he “didn’t want to kill”.

Standing in the glass defence box, wearing a grey and blue hoodie, his shaved head lowered, Shysimarin added: “I’m truly and sincerely sorry. I didn’t want that to happen, I didn’t want to be there, but it happened. I would like to apologise once again. And I will accept all the measures of punishment that I will be offered.”

On Thursday, during the second hearing, Shysimarin asked Shelipov’s widow to forgive him for the murder of her husband. Prosecutors have asked the judge to sentence Shysimarin to life in prison.

In closing arguments, Shysimarin’s lawyer, Viktor Ovsyannikov, said his client was not guilty of premeditated murder and war crimes, and asked the judges to acquit him.

In an interview with the Guardian at the end of the hearing, Ovsyannikov said his client killed a civilian by order and therefore he did not consider it to be a breach of the rules of war.

“There is an absence of intent here,” he said. “It was an execution of an order … he didn’t want to kill him, and this has certain legal meaning.

THIS 21 YEAR OLD RUSSIAN SOLDIER HAVE FINALLY BEEN SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/20/russian-soldier-will-accept-punishment-ukraine-war-crime-vadim-shysimarin

Re: Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: by sehin79(m): 11:38am On May 23, 2022
politics.... Ukraine starting a trial when a country is at war...clearly Russians would also do a copy cat
Re: Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: by ken6488(m): 1:45pm On May 23, 2022
Ukraine started it
Re: Ukraine Steel Plant Soldiers To Face Trial In Russia-held Donetsk: by Nancy2020(f): 4:02pm On May 23, 2022
Russia should not follow the comedian president.

Wait until the war reaches a stalemate.

(1) (Reply)

USA Admits To Funding Bioweapons Labs In Ukraine. / Interest First, America Has Long Been Addicted To Eavesdropping / God Has A Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.