Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,850 members, 7,813,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

We Disagreed On This! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Disagreed On This! (704 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Disagreed On This! by mrsample: 1:53pm On May 24, 2022
So, guys, I need your input on this.

I have saved up enough money to either move to a nice apartment plus furnishing or buy an average clean car. Buying a car is not really a priority for me at this point. However, my friend who I must confess has given me some investment advice that really worked out in the past thinks I should get a car first. Says in a year the rent money would be expired and gone but in a year's time, I would still have my car.

My current apartment is a nice little mini flat in an environment that I don't really like. It is surrounded by struggling peeps and you know how it is with such environments? dirty and mostly uninspiring. As a matter of fact, I feel ashamed to invite friends or colleagues home.

What is your take on this, should I go for an apartment or buy a car?

If possible, move to the front page, I need a wider opinion on this.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by incandescentena: 1:55pm On May 24, 2022
smiley I am only interested in this part below

"my friend who I must confess has given me some investment advice that really worked out in the past"

Share the investment advice with US! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Disagreed On This! by AJOBI77(m): 1:59pm On May 24, 2022
Go with you mind and be ready to face the consequences of either of the one you go for.

That's Life

3 Likes

Re: We Disagreed On This! by sisisioge: 2:01pm On May 24, 2022
Hmmmmm

This one hard o as you would be servicing both with money. Do you have a safe car park? Will you be able to afford insurance and maintenance? Can you afford to stay where you are for another one or two years? I would do the car too if there is a safe parking space and I can afford the maintenance. A car well used can be resold in the future....your rent cant be recouped after use.

I would buy the car and enliven my current apartment. May God flourish you and bless you more than enough so that you dont have to choose among essentials.

1 Like

Re: We Disagreed On This! by maclatunji: 2:05pm On May 24, 2022
mrsample:

I have saved up enough money to either move to a nice apartment plus furnishing or buy an average clean car. Buying a car is not really a priority for me at this point. However, my friend who I must confess has given me some investment advice that really worked out in the past thinks I should get a car first. Says in a year the rent money would be expired and gone but in a year's time, I would still have my car.

My current apartment is a nice little mini flat in an environment that I don't really like. It is surrounded by struggling peeps and you know how it is with such environments? dirty and mostly uninspiring. As a matter of fact, I feel ashamed to invite friends or colleagues home.

Buy the car, after you complete your registration, do Uber with it. Contact me to put you through getting on Uber for free.

This way, your car becomes an asset that can get you an even better flat in a year if you are focused.

2 Likes

Re: We Disagreed On This! by mrjojo: 2:09pm On May 24, 2022
Move to a more inspiring neighborhood. Your environment sure has a way of affecting your thought. Buying a car in an environment where people can hardly afford lunch will bread unnecessary hatred and envy. You don't have to finish the Apartment all at once, get the necessities and buy a smaller car if you absolutely need a car. Trust me you don't want to live in an area where it seems you are the only one 'prospering'.

2 Likes

Re: We Disagreed On This! by Emma2Seconds: 2:12pm On May 24, 2022
U mean private � or
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Emma2Seconds: 2:12pm On May 24, 2022
U mean private car � or
Re: We Disagreed On This! by mrsample: 2:22pm On May 24, 2022
Yes. For private use
Emma2Seconds:
U mean private car � or
Re: We Disagreed On This! by mrsample: 2:23pm On May 24, 2022
A nice plan except my current job wouldn't give me the time.
maclatunji:

Buy the car, after you complete your registration, do Uber with it. Contact me to put you through getting on Uber for free.

This way, your car becomes an asset that can get you an even better flat in a year if you are focused.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by mrsample: 2:25pm On May 24, 2022
sisisioge:
Hmmmmm

This one hard o as you would be servicing both with money. Do you have a safe car park? Will you be able to afford insurance and maintenance? Can you afford to stay where you are for another one or two years? I would do the car too if there is a safe parking space and I can afford the maintenance. A car well used can be resold in the future....your rent cant be recouped after use.

I would buy the car and enliven my current apartment. May God flourish you and bless you more than enough so that you dont have to choose among essentials.

The answer to all your questions is yes except that I feel fed up already with my current neighborhood
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 24, 2022
Never buy a car while you are living in a non-progressive neighbourhood. You cannot be exposing your prosperity to people suffering around you, and not expect them to be filled with envy. Living close to poor people while being rich is very dangerous, they will kill you at the slightest opportunity in a chaos. There was a thread last week of a lady who is always angry seeing progressive young people due to her own current financial crisis.

Find yourself a better environment, then proceed to buying a car afterwards. You will discover that no one will care about your car because every body minds their business & drives a better car in your new environment.

Let me share a story with you, a place in Lekki called Jakande which has Urban & Rural area opposite of each other, separated by Lekki road network. Each time there is a chaos, residents of the poverty-stricken area go all out to attack the estates, shops to loot, kill or rape people. They completely looted the ShopRite at the opposite side multiple times until it was shut down during the Xenophobia retaliation against South Africa, every other chaotic moment, the same thing happens.

Leave that environment before you buy a car, lest people start calling you a Yahoo boy because of car.

1 Like

Re: We Disagreed On This! by Annwrites: 2:35pm On May 24, 2022
Invest your money. After a year, take out the yield, add it to money you've saved up for rent renewal and get a new apartment.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by TheeDetective: 2:43pm On May 24, 2022
My advice to you will be for you to do neither. That spare cash you have, you can put it into an investment. The profit you make from the investment, can then be saved towards either getting a new apartment or a car. You have already mentioned that you had some investment advice from your friend that worked out well in the past. That investment, go and add the spare cash you have to it and as I've said before, any profit that comes out of it, save it towards your new apartment or car.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by maclatunji: 2:54pm On May 24, 2022
mrsample:
A nice plan except my current job wouldn't give me the time.

Do it in your spare time to learn how it works. You may give out cars for others to rent or buy from you in the future once you have an idea.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Emma2Seconds: 2:56pm On May 24, 2022
Check your sources of income and situations of the country very well if not you better put that money for other things that will be earning you more money.
mrsample:
Yes. For private use
Re: We Disagreed On This! by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:12pm On May 24, 2022
mrsample:

pls answer the following question:
- why do you NEED to buy a car?
- why do you need to move to a better apt?

just because someone gave you great advices in the past, desnt mean everything they say should be followed...

2 Likes

Re: We Disagreed On This! by sisisioge: 3:33pm On May 24, 2022
mrsample:

The answer to all your questions is yes except that I feel fed up already with my current neighborhood

Ok, for your mental health, move since you're fed up. You may move and get your car in another 4 or 6 months if you dont expend too much on the apartment. For example, you could get another mini flat in a nice place for 600k( look for ways to connect with owners directly or use tenant existing) and safe the rest to be used for your car later. Good luck.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by frozen70(f): 9:03am On May 25, 2022
mrsample:

You can get another apartment then save towards getting a car
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Acidosis(m): 10:23am On May 25, 2022
It is cheaper and better to move to a new apartment. You need around 3 million to get a decent or average looking used car. You don't need 3 million to rent a decent apartment unless you want to live on the same street with your governor.

Says in a year the rent money would be expired and gone but in a year's time, I would still have my car.

I don't understand this advice from your friend. Don't you pay rent in your current apartment? Rent will always "expire" year in year out, whether you relocate to a new place or not.

Sure, you'll still have your car after a year but hey, you won't have your fuel and maintenance expense.
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Nobody: 10:39am On May 25, 2022
OP....
Have you thought of buying a land and starting your own building?

What's the point of driving the latest car and living in the "tushest" place, when you don't have place to call your own?

Be "futuristic" in your thoughts...
Plan for rainy days OP...
Re: We Disagreed On This! by Shalayetv: 10:44am On May 25, 2022
When we think about finding someone, falling in love, and settling down, we rarely like to think
about one of the possible outcomes of getting married or getting divorced. Divorce is,
unfortunately, a real part of some relationships. that doesn’t mean it has to happen to you. While
you can’t prevent life from getting in the way, you can make sure your relationship is as strong
as possible to withstand them. And, ideally, that starts way before you even get married.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-oghen7gMU
Re: We Disagreed On This! by REALretep(m): 10:55am On May 25, 2022
mrsample:

Acquiring a car while living in a place filled with struggling people makes you the centre of attraction and attention which has its ups and downs.
Also, moving into a highbrow area puts you under pressure to match up to your environment which also has its ups and downs.
Nevertheless, my advice is that whichever you finally decide, make sure you have at least half of the cost of the apartment/car in your bank account as savings because it is a bad financial action to spend almost all your savings on a liability.

(1) (Reply)

Man Collects His Gas Cooker From Side Chick After She Was Caught With A Man / Mother Takes Child To River On Her 5th Birthday, Says Water Gave Her The Kid / 5 Reasons Why Women Wear Waist Beads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.