Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of (891 Views)

How To Start And Run A Shortlet Apartment Business In Lagos, Nigeria / Are You An Employer? New Scam Discovery / New Scam Method On Paxful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Lagosfinder(m): 7:14am On May 26, 2022
By Ehis Asibor

So, I run short-lets in Lekki and last night I got a booking alert from Booking.com that Mr. Scott booked our 4-bedroom apartment for 30 nights at a rate of $180/night. So for 30days + tax, he was expected to pay $5,914 and check in today. Naturally, I was excited! Something in my head rang a bell… why did a single guest book a 4-bedroom apartment?

Anyway, shortly after the booking, Oga Scott sent me a message inquiring about the security of the apartment. Then he went further to say that this was his first visit to Naija and he wants us to arrange airport pickup. I told him we normally do not do airport pickups, but he said he will pay for the service when he arrives at the apartment. That we should please arrange it.

One thing to note, he hadn’t paid the $5,914. He just made a reservation online. He said he will pay at check-in. This is not unusual with booking.com. We have had multiple guests that reserved online and paid at check-in.

Shortly after our conversation, I sent him the details of the driver that will pick him up, I even sent him a picture of the driver. He said he was grateful and will land today by 1pm. Shortly after that, he sent me his itinerary. From his itinerary, I could see he was flying with Egypt Air.

This morning, the dude sent me a picture and said this is how he looks this morning. He said he was sending the picture so the driver will be able to easily identify him.

At 1:15pm, he buzzed me and said he just landed and was approaching immigration to process his visa on arrival.

45mins later, I got a call from my wife. She told me that Mr. Scott called her and said he has a problem with the immigration people at the airport.

What is the problem? I asked

“He needs to pay for his visa and do not have dollars or naira to pay for it.” My wife replied.

“He said they told him that he needs to change the currency he brought into dollars or Naira to pay for the visa fees.” My wife went on to explain

“let him go and change money naaaa”.. I queried

“He cannot leave the immigration area until he pays the visa fees.” She went on to explain.

“He is begging that we should assist him. I spoke with the immigration lady and she said we should transfer the naira to her, and she will process his visa. The lady just sent the account number” . my wife went on.

What is the guest saying? I asked.
He said that as soon as he leaves the immigration area, he will change money and pay us.

“Ok go ahead and make the transfer,” I said and dropped the call.
Immediately after I dropped the call, my brain exploded…. “IT’S A SCAM”

I quickly called back my wife … she picked on the first ring.

“Don’t pay a dime! It’s a scam.” I quickly told her. Luckily, she hadn’t made the transfer.

How do you know? she asked

How can you travel to Nigeria without a currency that our immigration people will accept? I replied

If it's his first time in Naija, someone invited him. Let him call the person for help.

Then through a friend, we contacted a contact inside the airport. Please go to passport control and see if there is anyone there with payment issues.

Oga there is no one here ooo. All the passengers have passed through!

Meanwhile, we called the immigration lady back, have you made the payment? She asked…

Where are you? we are sending someone inside the airport to resolve the situation. We said
We are in the immigration area; they won’t allow your person to come here.

Madam don’t worry, our person has access to the immigration area. ....and she cut the call.

We called madam back no response.
We called Mr. Scott no response.

And that was how Mr. Scott failed in trying to scam N68,000 from me today.

I am just wondering the number of people that were at the airport today to pick up Mr. Scott and then transferred 68k to Madam Immigration.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by sweetonugbu: 7:23am On May 26, 2022
Fraudstars

1 Like

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Mikespecialone(m): 7:23am On May 26, 2022
Nothing is legit in naija again , even suyaman is scamming

4 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Omihanifa: 7:24am On May 26, 2022
Nah wa o
Scammers are always innovating new ideas to destroy every good thing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Born2Breed(f): 7:25am On May 26, 2022
grin grin grin

We are too criminally minded in this country. Anyone could have fallen for this. With the number of days booking which rarely come, any property owner or manager will fall for this.

This is front-page material.

Please mods do the needful before a lot of property owners fall for this scam.

Lalasticlala
Seun

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Mrkcee(m): 7:49am On May 26, 2022
shocked Wow!
These guys keep evolving.

@naijacutee
dominique
puskin
FOD
Pls, push to the promised land, everyone needs to see this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by ZeroOneTribe: 7:55am On May 26, 2022
Until our security apparatus start being proactive and form new ways to really dig them out this will continue.
In serious countries even if you did the transfer, they can still be traced and prosecuted through the account number and phone.
What use is the NIN and BVN linkage if it can't deter this petty crimes.

3 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Tokskob2008: 8:11am On May 26, 2022
If someone who is coming to buy from you hasn't paid for what he/she wants to buy but instead requested you to give him some amount to do whatever then you should know he is trying to carry you Handicap SIMPLE!!! That's SCAM 101

3 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by aieromon(m): 8:18am On May 26, 2022
The bait was the anticipated big cashout.

Legend has it that Mr. Scott is still stuck at the immigration section looking for NGN to pay his visa fees.

2 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by dominique(f): 9:40am On May 26, 2022
Mr Scott is most definitely a Yahoo boy squatting with about a dozen others of his kind in one HK in Lekki phase 20 aka Ibeju Lekki (all na Lekki). It's not only shortly apartment owners that need to be wary, all business owners need to be very wary of prospective clients placing large orders on
their especially from outside the country.

4 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by k4kenny(f): 10:46am On May 26, 2022
Tokskob2008:
If someone who is coming to buy from you hasn't paid for what he/she wants to buy but instead requested you to give him some amount to do whatever then you should know he is trying to carry you Handicap SIMPLE!!! That's SCAM 101

What about the ones that have actually paid 2 million for the product, arranged to meet the seller only to kidnap her, shoot her on the leg before tranferring all the money in her account(both the one they sent and everything else) and finally asking her family for 10m ransom cry. Business owners in Nigeri must do their due dilligence while dealing with large order customers. These people are not smiling o.

3 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by k4kenny(f): 10:53am On May 26, 2022
k4kenny:

What about the ones that have actually paid 2 million for the product, arranged to meet the seller only to kidnap her, shoot her on the leg before tranferring all the money in her account(both the one they sent and everything else) and finally asking her family for 10m ransom cry. Business owners in Nigeri must do their due dilligence while dealing with large order customers. These people are not smiling o.

The full story:

Good morning everyone, hope we all had fun during the Easter holidays. My own fun started quite late 'cause of situations beyond our control, and that's what I want to share with us so we all would be careful out there.
So my younger sister who lives in Abuja (she owns a solar company) was contacted by some guy who claimed to be a philanthropist and a politician in Portharcourt. He told her he's heard about her company and needed their services, he said he wants to give his community a borehole and put Solar Street lights from his house to the main road. To cut the long story short, transactions was initiated and all necessary information/documents presented via email, Initial deposit made and concluded, so my sis got her engineers ready for work but went ahead of them to survey and sign the final documents. The said man sent his supposed driver to pick her up from the airport and that was the beginning of our nightmare... Lo and behold they are Kidnappers!! They kidnapped my sister on Saturday evening and demanded 10mil. Of course they took back the initial deposit they paid and wiped her account clean, shot her on the leg, killed about two guys whose family was not coming fort with the ransom demanded, promised us they'll kill my sister too and sell her body parts like they'll do the ones already dead.
Hmmm!! You can imagine the fear and confusion that was going through our heads at this point, coupled with the fact that we lost our eldest brother a year ago this month... It's a situation I don't wish on anyone, it's a terrible terrible experience.
Eventually we negotiated and paid the ransom that night, she was then released Sunday afternoon around 2pm... She's still traumatised but alive to the glory of God.
So guys be careful out there, be at alert when seeking for jobs or contracts. These guys sounded so genuine eh and I mean they made a deposit of 2mil... Smh.
God's protections on us all�. Please let's be careful. God will save us from evils one.

2 Likes

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Lamasta(m): 10:55am On May 26, 2022
One's brain needs to be on perfect condition to tackle this fraudsters on daily basis

1 Like

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Lagosfinder(m): 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2022
Lamasta:
One's brain needs to be on perfect condition to tackle this fraudsters on daily basis

This scammers keep upgrading

Any slacking, big loses

1 Like

Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by Kobicove(m): 6:44pm On Jun 03, 2022
New week new scam format!

It's a jungle out there, everyone shine ya eye! cool
Re: The New Scam Shortlet Apartment Operators Should Be Wary Of by AlphaTaikun: 6:36pm On Jun 18, 2022
Lagosfinder:
By Ehis Asibor

So, I run short-lets in Lekki and last night I got a booking alert from Booking.com that Mr. Scott booked our 4-bedroom apartment for 30 nights at a rate of $180/night. So for 30days + tax, he was expected to pay $5,914 and check in today. Naturally, I was excited! Something in my head rang a bell… why did a single guest book a 4-bedroom apartment?

Anyway, shortly after the booking, Oga Scott sent me a message inquiring about the security of the apartment. Then he went further to say that this was his first visit to Naija and he wants us to arrange airport pickup. I told him we normally do not do airport pickups, but he said he will pay for the service when he arrives at the apartment. That we should please arrange it.

One thing to note, he hadn’t paid the $5,914. He just made a reservation online. He said he will pay at check-in. This is not unusual with booking.com. We have had multiple guests that reserved online and paid at check-in.

Shortly after our conversation, I sent him the details of the driver that will pick him up, I even sent him a picture of the driver. He said he was grateful and will land today by 1pm. Shortly after that, he sent me his itinerary. From his itinerary, I could see he was flying with Egypt Air.

This morning, the dude sent me a picture and said this is how he looks this morning. He said he was sending the picture so the driver will be able to easily identify him.

At 1:15pm, he buzzed me and said he just landed and was approaching immigration to process his visa on arrival.

45mins later, I got a call from my wife. She told me that Mr. Scott called her and said he has a problem with the immigration people at the airport.

What is the problem? I asked

“He needs to pay for his visa and do not have dollars or naira to pay for it.” My wife replied.

“He said they told him that he needs to change the currency he brought into dollars or Naira to pay for the visa fees.” My wife went on to explain

“let him go and change money naaaa”.. I queried

“He cannot leave the immigration area until he pays the visa fees.” She went on to explain.

“He is begging that we should assist him. I spoke with the immigration lady and she said we should transfer the naira to her, and she will process his visa. The lady just sent the account number” . my wife went on.

What is the guest saying? I asked.
He said that as soon as he leaves the immigration area, he will change money and pay us.

“Ok go ahead and make the transfer,” I said and dropped the call.
Immediately after I dropped the call, my brain exploded…. “IT’S A SCAM”

I quickly called back my wife … she picked on the first ring.

“Don’t pay a dime! It’s a scam.” I quickly told her. Luckily, she hadn’t made the transfer.

How do you know? she asked

How can you travel to Nigeria without a currency that our immigration people will accept? I replied

If it's his first time in Naija, someone invited him. Let him call the person for help.

Then through a friend, we contacted a contact inside the airport. Please go to passport control and see if there is anyone there with payment issues.

Oga there is no one here ooo. All the passengers have passed through!

Meanwhile, we called the immigration lady back, have you made the payment? She asked…

Where are you? we are sending someone inside the airport to resolve the situation. We said
We are in the immigration area; they won’t allow your person to come here.

Madam don’t worry, our person has access to the immigration area. ....and she cut the call.

We called madam back no response.
We called Mr. Scott no response.

And that was how Mr. Scott failed in trying to scam N68,000 from me today.

I am just wondering the number of people that were at the airport today to pick up Mr. Scott and then transferred 68k to Madam Immigration.

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read: Opay Vs Zenith Bank Which Is Better?: Complete Review / Make Cool Money Online Here / Network of people coming to nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.