Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,904 members, 7,866,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:40 PM

Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution (194 Views)

Neighbor Shot Dead NYC Dad And Son During Argument Over Noise / Port Arthur Massacre, The Shooting Spree That Changed Australia Gun Laws(Photos) / Thousands Of Teens Walked Out Of Classes To Protest Gun Laws Across U.S.(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by Teazer4(m): 3:42pm On May 26, 2022
Abbott says 'Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis'

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that crime rates in places like Chicago and New York City "disprove" the thesis that tougher gun laws would have prevented the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde.

During a lengthy press conference about Tuesday's shooting, Abbott was pressed on whether he would support "real" gun control measures in an effort to prevent another tragedy.

"I know that people like to try to oversimplify this," Abbott responded. "Let's talk about some real facts, and that is, there are ‘real’ gun laws in Chicago. There are ‘real’ gun laws in New York. There are ‘real’ gun laws in California.

I hate to say this, but there are more people who are shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in schools in Texas," he continued. "And we need to realize that people who think that, ‘Well, maybe we could just implement tougher gun laws, it’s going to solve it.’ Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis. And so if you're looking for a real solution, Chicago teaches that what you're talking about, it's not a real solution. Our job is to come up with real solutions that we can implement

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), the suspect in Tuesday’s shooting, Salvador Ramos, 18, legally purchased two AR platform rifles at a local federal firearms licensee, one on May 17 and another on May 20. The suspect also purchased 375 rounds of 5.56 ammunition on May 18, the ATF said.

Abbott said 18-year-olds have been able to buy semi-automatic rifles in the state for decades and that mass shootings like this are a new phenomenon.

"The ability of an 18-year-old to buy a long gun has been in place in the state of Texas for more than 60 years," he said. "And think about during the time over the course of that 60 years, we have not had episodes like this. And why is it that for the majority of those 60 years, we did not have school shootings? And why is it that we do now?

"The reality is, I don't know the answer to that question," he continued. "However, what I do know in talking to the leaders here, as well as leaders and other locations around the state, and that is one thing that has substantially changed is the status of mental health in our communities. What I do know is this, and that is we as a state, we as a society need to do a better job with mental health. Anybody who shoots somebody else has a mental health challenge, period. We as a government need to find a way to target that mental health challenge and do something about it..

Source: https://www foxnews com/politics/uvalde-shooting-texas-abbott-says-chicago-nyc-crime-gun-laws-not-solution

1 Like

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by gambojimeta: 6:42pm On May 26, 2022
That is because Guns are streaming in from neighbouring states with relaxed gun laws.

For gun laws to work, US must have similar laws like it is done in Canada and Australia.

And as per gun violence per capita, Illinois is not even in the top ten.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by seunny4lif(m): 6:46pm On May 26, 2022
Until they will kill his own family then he will want to ban guns

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by AlphaTaikun: 6:47pm On May 26, 2022
Teazer4:
Abbott says 'Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis'

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that crime rates in places like Chicago and New York City "disprove" the thesis that tougher gun laws would have prevented the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde.

During a lengthy press conference about Tuesday's shooting, Abbott was pressed on whether he would support "real" gun control measures in an effort to prevent another tragedy.

"I know that people like to try to oversimplify this," Abbott responded. "Let's talk about some real facts, and that is, there are ‘real’ gun laws in Chicago. There are ‘real’ gun laws in New York. There are ‘real’ gun laws in California.

I hate to say this, but there are more people who are shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in schools in Texas," he continued. "And we need to realize that people who think that, ‘Well, maybe we could just implement tougher gun laws, it’s going to solve it.’ Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis. And so if you're looking for a real solution, Chicago teaches that what you're talking about, it's not a real solution. Our job is to come up with real solutions that we can implement

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), the suspect in Tuesday’s shooting, Salvador Ramos, 18, legally purchased two AR platform rifles at a local federal firearms licensee, one on May 17 and another on May 20. The suspect also purchased 375 rounds of 5.56 ammunition on May 18, the ATF said.

Abbott said 18-year-olds have been able to buy semi-automatic rifles in the state for decades and that mass shootings like this are a new phenomenon.

"The ability of an 18-year-old to buy a long gun has been in place in the state of Texas for more than 60 years," he said. "And think about during the time over the course of that 60 years, we have not had episodes like this. And why is it that for the majority of those 60 years, we did not have school shootings? And why is it that we do now?

"The reality is, I don't know the answer to that question," he continued. "However, what I do know in talking to the leaders here, as well as leaders and other locations around the state, and that is one thing that has substantially changed is the status of mental health in our communities. What I do know is this, and that is we as a state, we as a society need to do a better job with mental health. Anybody who shoots somebody else has a mental health challenge, period. We as a government need to find a way to target that mental health challenge and do something about it..

Source: https://www foxnews com/politics/uvalde-shooting-texas-abbott-says-chicago-nyc-crime-gun-laws-not-solution
Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by Drenimarcus(m): 6:51pm On May 26, 2022
iffa hear, if Sandy Hook shooting didnt change anything, this wont change anything.

1 Like

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by gambojimeta: 6:51pm On May 26, 2022
seunny4lif:
Exactly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by gambojimeta: 6:53pm On May 26, 2022
Drenimarcus:
iffa hear, if Sandy Hook shooting didnt change anything, this wont change anything.
I don't think this would change anything.

There is a NRA convention tomorrow in Houston, and the governor is attending. They have not even buired the poor kids that their body got ripped apart with bullets.

Just imagine. These politicians don't care.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by Drenimarcus(m): 6:54pm On May 26, 2022
gambojimeta:

There is a NRA convention tomorrow in Houston, and the governor is attending. They have not even buired the poor kids that their body got ripped apart with bullets.

Americans love their guns more than their kids. Sick set of people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by hayzed19(m): 9:58pm On May 26, 2022
The NRA is America's longest-standing civil rights organization and a powerful lobbying group in US politics.
So taking the guns away won't be easy for them.
gambojimeta:

1 Like

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by KillerCrocodile: 1:28am On May 27, 2022
seunny4lif:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

No mind that Governor...

When hand touch his family member, then he will change his mouth from mental health solution...

To Tougher Gun Control Solution.
Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by KillerCrocodile: 1:32am On May 27, 2022
hayzed19:
The NRA is America's longest-standing civil rights organization and a powerful lobbying group in US politics.
So taking the guns away won't be easy for them.

So Powerful that only Mitt Romney has collected more than 13 million dollars from them so far......

2 Likes

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott Says Chicago, NYC Crime Proves Harsher Gun Laws Not Solution by KillerCrocodile: 1:46am On May 27, 2022
gambojimeta:

Bros make we talk true ooo

In as much as we Love and Support the United States....

Have you noticed that this kind of Nonsense Killings and Mass Shooting in Schools rarely happen in China and Russia...

You don't see this kind of Nonsense in most Authoritarian states.....

Democratic values and Idealogy is now becoming a curse....

President Joe Biden is fast becoming Mourner in Chief. ........ From Commander in Chief

Almost on a weekly basis, he is visiting families of victims of Mass Shooting...

I know it is not his fault, Because if he had his way, he would Implement Tougher Gun Control without thinking about it.

But we can clearly see one Advantage of Authoritarian style of leadership..

Russia and China will be laughing at the United States because of their failure to curb this menace.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Angry Sri Lankans Enter Presidential Palace, Swim Inside Pool, Make Tea & Drink / Zelensky Is Blackmailing Russia's Leadership With The Shelling Nuclear Power Pla / UK Cancel Matches Out Of Fear Not Everyone Loved And Respected The Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.