Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate (22335 Views)

APC Presidential Ticket: 17 Govs Stand Behind Buhari On Preferred Aspirant / Insecurity: Buhari Meets Governors And Security Chiefs / Npdp Drops Defection Threat, Meets Governors, Others For Truce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by ArewaNorth: 7:43am On May 27, 2022
Ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary, President Muhammadu Buhari has met with governors who are members of the party, Daily Trust learnt from credible sources.

The sources told this newspaper that the president met with the governors on Tuesday night.

The ruling party had slated its presidential primary for Sunday/Monday, where delegates will elect the party’s flag bearer for the 2023 presidential election.

There has been anxiety among the 23 presidential aspirants of the party as the screening, which was scheduled for last Monday was postponed indefinitely.

Top shots of the party, governors and presidential aspirants had told this paper that they were awaiting the president’s guidance ahead of the primary.

One of them, a former governor said, “The tension and confusion in the party is as a result of lack of direction by the president. Everybody is confused.”

But a source close to the president told one of our correspondents that the governors and the party leadership have been told to ensure the conduct of a peaceful and transparent primary.

“The president has told the governors and the party to ensure that the primary is transparent and fair. He did not mention anybody as his preferred candidate during the meeting,” the source, who is an ally of the president, said.

A presidential aspirant, who also confirmed the meeting of the president with the governors, said they were anxiously waiting for Buhari’s direction.

“Two governors told me that they met with the president and that he did not say anything about his choice. We are afraid it would be at the venue of the primary that we will get to know,” he said.

While some observers felt that the “suspense” on the side of the president was too heavy, others believed President Buhari was setting good precedence.

Muhammad Sani, who teaches in one of the higher institutions in the North East, said the fact that the president allowed all the contenders to go round the country and consult is good and commendable.

“Even if he has a preferred candidate, who is not known to anybody going by the fillers we are getting, the president is setting excellent precedence and opening the political space.

“Look at how he travelled out of the country at a critical hour; some people might think what he did was wrong but the opposite is the case. Let the race be the survival of the fittest with limited influence from the president,” he said.

Off to Malabo for AU summit

Meanwhile, the president on Thursday left Abuja for Malabo, Equatorial Guinea to participate in the African Union Extra-ordinary Session of Assembly of Heads of State and Government with a special focus on security.

The president was accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Minister of Defence, Maj.-Gen. Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd); Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management & Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq; National Security Adviser, Maj-Gen Babagana Monguno (rtd); Director General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Amb. Ahmed Rufa’i Abubakar and Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) Abike Dabiri-Erewa.

Mrs Aisha Buhari, who is the President of the African First Ladies Peace Mission, also accompanied her husband to the African Union meeting.

A presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, in a statement, said the three-day summit, which will hold between May 26 and 28, will also focus on humanitarian challenges in Africa, with related issues on migration, refugees, returnees and Internally Displaced Persons.

He said the African leaders will look at terrorism and unconstitutional change of government, with attendant spiralling effects on human rights and economies at the summit.

High profile meetings ahead of primary

Forty-eight hours to the party’s primaries, the party leadership and the governors have not been forthcoming with what Nigerians should expect.

After their meeting on Monday night at the Kebbi State Governor’s Lodge in Abuja, the governors, who are critical stakeholders, refused to brief newsmen.

Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello; Jigawa State Governor, Abubakar Badaru; Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi and Ebonyi State Governor, David Umahi were some of the presidential aspirants among the governors who attended the meeting.

Governor Nasir-El-Rufai of Kaduna State; Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State; Kebbi State Governor and Chairman of the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), Senator Atiku Bagudu and a few others were also at the meeting.

The governors left the venue of the meeting one after another and declined to speak with newsmen, referring them to Governor Bagudu, Chairman of the Forum who also declined to brief at the end of the meeting which lasted for several hours.

On Tuesday, the NWC met at the APC National Secretariat in Abuja, and equally refused to brief newsmen at the end of their meeting, which lasted for over three hours. No NWC member agreed to speak to newsmen.

The APC National Publicity Secretary, Barrister Felix Morka, neither answered his calls nor responded to a text message sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

We’ll be fair to aspirants – Nat’l chair

In an interview with the Hausa Service of the Voice of America, the National Chairman of the party, Senator Abdullahi Adamu assured that they would be fair to all the aspirants.

“Our goal is to ensure justice in the choice of who emerges as the candidate of the party that does not mean we are perfect, but we pray we do the right thing. We have aspirants from across the country in the presidential race. We will make the decision when we get there.

“However, the party has laid down its rules and regulations for the aspirants; we would scrutinise all of them based on our guidelines to be sure we pick the right candidate for the party,” he said.

https://dailytrust.com/buhari-meets-govs-mum-on-preferred-candidate

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by HomoSapiien: 7:46am On May 27, 2022
Probably be a he doesn’t have anybody in mind.

He already asked everyone to work their way there.

Buhari has already done a lot of damage to this country, and it’d be worse if he impose another failure stooge of his on us.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Nobody: 7:48am On May 27, 2022
story
Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Mooh247: 7:50am On May 27, 2022
cool

Mr I am for everybody I am for nobody

I doubt Buhari wants to interfere with selecting his successor

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Truthisunique2: 7:56am On May 27, 2022
I laugh in kafachan

Who are these governors buhari is always meeting and why always at night?

The same Baduru, Bagudu, buni, Fayemi that are on his side.

Buhari that used his own mouth to say he has a preferred candidate he won't name for fear of elimination

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Moferere: 7:59am On May 27, 2022
Buhari is not anointing any candidate.

THE BEST CANDIDATE WILL WIN

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by LeoDeKing: 8:00am On May 27, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

Mr I am for everybody I am for nobody

I doubt Buhari wants to interfere with selecting his successor

Buhari doesn't interfere with any form of election, this is evident in the series of state governors elections that have been conducted after he assumed office.

All these imaginary anointment of a preferred candidate are mere figments of imagination by ipob pigs who have suddenly taken Buhari as a god. They have indeed read Buhari's mind and known who his preferred candidate is. Wait till after Monday, they will re-energize biafuro or death. grin

Yes, he may have a preferred candidate, but as he had said previously, he won't discuss it. But for now, men should go to the field and prove themselves.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by seunmsg(m): 8:02am On May 27, 2022
“The president has told the governors and the party to ensure that the primary is transparent and fair. He did not mention anybody as his preferred candidate during the meeting,” the source, who is an ally of the president, said.

Dear wailers and other enemies of Tinubu both within and outside APC, I hope you guys have finally gotten the memo. The presidential primary election of APC will be free, fair and credible. The president against all your evil wishes is a Democratic who understands the importance of credible internal democracy to the sustainable of a Democratic Party. He won’t impose your unpopular candidate on the party.

Every aspirants will be allowed to contest and the winner will be supported by all members of the party including the losers. Democracy will always triumph over evil and despotic tendencies.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by helinues: 8:04am On May 27, 2022
Do you expect him to dad on preferred candidate before?

Did Buhari mention any names before the Apc convention even though that was consensus

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by MadamVanessa(f): 8:05am On May 27, 2022
shocked

So you expect Buhari to open up publicly and say this is my preferred candidate? We all know is either Osinbajo or Amaechi. Sadly, Tinubu is not even among Buhari top 10.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Mooh247: 8:05am On May 27, 2022
LeoDeKing:

Buhari doesn't interfere with any form of election, this is evident in the series of state governors elections that have been conducted after he assumed office.

All these imaginary anointment of a preferred candidate are mere figments of imagination by ipob pigs who have suddenly taken Buhari as a god. They have indeed read Buhari's mind and known who his preferred candidate is. Wait till after Monday, they will re-energize biafuro or death. grin

Yes, he may have a preferred candidate, but as he had said previously, he won't discuss it. But for now, men should go to the field and prove themselves.
Lol grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by LeoDeKing: 8:06am On May 27, 2022
seunmsg:

Allow clowns to keep screaming some imaginary anointment by Buhari after their imaginary consensus have fallen flat.

Buhari doesn't interfere in election since he became president, I don't know where the foolish imagination of anointed candidate is coming from.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by helinues: 8:07am On May 27, 2022
LeoDeKing:

It's not logical for Buhari to disclose his preferred candidate to succeed him. He needs to act to his words which is I am for nobody

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by SledgeHammerer: 8:14am On May 27, 2022
The president has told the governors and the party to ensure that the primary is transparent and fair. He did not mention anybody as his preferred candidate during the meeting,” the source, who is an ally of the president, said.

It's clear now that Buhari has left everyone to their fate. I pity those who were deceived with the idea of Buhari will endorse them.

PrinceofLagos, truthisunique2, penguin2 come and cry on this thread.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Ntigha: 8:16am On May 27, 2022
LeoDeKing:

Afonja Tinubu for President

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by SledgeHammerer: 8:16am On May 27, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

So you want Buhari to open up publicly and say this is my anointed candidate? We all know is either Osinbajo or Amaechi.

He did so in the National chairman race. If there's nothing like that 48 hrs to convention and he has left the country then there's no such thing as preferred candidate. You guys should put your brains to use for once.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by PrinceOfLagos: 8:19am On May 27, 2022
SledgeHammerer:

The president has told the governors and the party to ensure that the primary is transparent and fair. He did not mention anybody as his preferred candidate during the meeting,” the source, who is an ally of the president, said.

It's clear now that Buhari has left everyone to their fate. I pity those who were deceived with the idea of Buhari will endorse them.

PrinceofLagos, truthisunique2, penguin2 come and cry on this thread.
You're easily deceived by this sweet words of politicians.
Jonathan will be cleared to contest today by the court and just few hours ago, The APC chairman visited his home, Buhari had a close door meeting with him

Tinubu has already started raising alarm over plans to impose someone as consensus candidate and Buhari and Adamu are still denying the allegation same way Buhari denied having preferred APC chairmanship candidate till Abdulahi adamu emerged at the last minute..

Una Sabi deceive yourselves

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by SledgeHammerer: 8:34am On May 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

You're easily deceived by this sweet words of politicians.
Jonathan will be cleared to contest today by the court and just few hours ago, The APC chairman visited his home, Buhari had a close door meeting with him

Tinubu has already started raising alarm over plans to impose someone as consensus candidate and Buhari and Adamu are still denying the allegation same way Buhari denied having preferred APC chairmanship candidate till Abdulahi adamu emerged at the last minute..

Una Sabi deceive yourselves

Stop disgracing yourself. Abdulahi Adamu was already known as buhari's choice weeks before convention and he confirmed it 3days to the convention. Have you heard any name from Buhari 48hrs to primary. He even left the country yesterday. I'll be here to call you unprintable names by weekend. Confused animal!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by PrinceOfLagos: 8:36am On May 27, 2022
SledgeHammerer:

Stop disgracing yourself. Abdulahi Adamu was already known as buhari's choice weeks before convention and he confirmed it 3days to the convention. Have you heard any name from Buhari 48hrs to primary. He even left the country yesterday. I'll be here to call you unprintable names by weekend. Confused animal!
It gives me so much joy seeing how my comments frustrate you , I'm always happy for real.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by XerXers: 8:43am On May 27, 2022
Why are yoruba people so naive? Buhari is simply avoiding the morality issues while he hack Tinubu to pieces. There will be "free and fair selection" on that day and Tinubu will fail while Buhar is away, leaving Buhari totally blameless and clean. Buhari may even offer some dubious " help" to save Tinubu at the last minute which will later become unsuccessful.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by PrinceOfLagos: 9:12am On May 27, 2022
SledgeHammerer:

Confused animal that's what you are. You've been moving from one aspirant to another not knowing what you want in life. You're wandering in life. That's the hallmark of a confused animal.
Go get a snipper bro, it's cheap

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by SledgeHammerer: 9:15am On May 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Go get a snipper bro, it's cheap

You're already a corpse so you don't need a sniper.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by PrinceOfLagos: 9:17am On May 27, 2022
SledgeHammerer:

You're already a corpse so you don't need a sniper.
I will keep bursting your lies and tormenting you with the truth and nothing but the truth

My last reply to you bro grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by SledgeHammerer: 9:24am On May 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

I will keep bursting your lies and tormenting you with the truth and nothing but the truth

My last reply to you bro grin

Keep disgracing your family on nairaland with your stupidity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Arnold222: 11:37am On May 27, 2022
Usjsj

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by Afonjamuslim24(f): 11:37am On May 27, 2022
WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH ZOMBIES AND SLAVES IN THIS THREAD?

1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Governors, Mum On Preferred Candidate by princeemmma(m): 11:38am On May 27, 2022
Why is Buhari not making any statement on his preferred candidate....................... what is he thinking?....................... i know he is not considering Tinubu and that will cause a lot of problem very soon

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sponsors Of Nigeria’s Terrorist Bandits, By Farooq Kperogi / Okowa's Jumbo's Severance Package And Delta State's Minimum Wage - Omo-Ikirodah / Did Peter Obi Attend Major Christian Events Before The 2023 Election Season?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.