Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

I Give Up... (help) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Give Up... (help) (1375 Views)

I Give Up, Am Not Doing Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 27, 2022
I've been learning web development since 2020 during the pandemic where I grasped the concept of HTML and CSS but I've been on and off the journey up until last year February when I was waiting for admission I continue learning from someone I paid to teach me, I learnt HTML and CSS basics but didn't learn JavaScript. Five more months later in July I started JavaScript and was really understanding it fairly till school resumed.

Now during this ASUU strike I tried to test my fronted skills by building anything with what I learnt then I found out my CSS skills were bad, I quit web development for python...
2 weeks into python I found out python was really easy cos of my JS background but I got stuck when I tried to learn data structure I was seeing shit like hash map tf??, I left python immediately and went back to front end.
Now this brings me to today, I'm good with JavaScript and html but my CSS is ass, I tried re learning CSS but I can't understand that dumb language, now I'm really in a bad place, I have a serious dilemma, I'm thinking of ditching CSS for bootstrap or ditching frontend for Node.js cos I think my JS (ES5) know is ok
Someone with experience should advise me
Re: I Give Up... (help) by jbreezy: 4:34pm On May 27, 2022
Think4Myself:
I've been learning web development since 2020 during the pandemic where I grasped the concept of HTML and CSS but I've been on and off the journey up until last year February when I was waiting for admission I continue learning from someone I paid to teach me, I learnt HTML and CSS basics but didn't learn JavaScript. Five more months later in July I started JavaScript and was really understanding it fairly till school resumed.

Now during this ASUU strike I tried to test my fronted skills by building anything with what I learnt then I found out my CSS skills were bad, I quit web development for python...
2 weeks into python I found out python was really easy cos of my JS background but I got stuck when I tried to learn data structure I was seeing shit like hash map tf??, I left python immediately and went back to front end.
Now this brings me to today, I'm good with JavaScript and html but my CSS is ass, I tried re learning CSS but I can't understand that dumb language, now I'm really in a bad place, I have a serious dilemma, I'm thinking of ditching CSS for bootstrap or ditching frontend for Node.js cos I think my JS (ES5) know is ok
I guess frontend ain't your thing then. Try to use your knowledge in javascript to learn backend development, node js & express.

2 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:51pm On May 27, 2022
Hashmap is just objects. You can do it in JavaScript by calling an empty object or just using new Map (). I think only static languages like java and c++ have this type of collection as part of their own data types. There's nothing big about it. I think you should relax and focus on one thing and get good at it instead of jumping around. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

3 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by airsaylongcome: 5:22pm On May 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Hashmap is just objects. You can do it in JavaScript by calling an empty object or just using new Map (). I think only static languages like java and c++ have this type of collection as part of their own data types. There's nothing big about it. I think you should relax and focus on one thing and get good at it instead of jumping around. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Lol! We don siddon for Java and C++ dey re-gather the moss o. Stumbled on one 80GB Udemy download with a trainer that I can relate with. For the first time in 12 years, I have agreed to use IDE to write code. Prior to now NOTHING on earth would have encouraged me to use IDE whether eclipse, NetBeans or IntelliJ.

3 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:27pm On May 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! We don siddon for Java and C++ dey re-gather the moss o. Stumbled on one 80GB Udemy download with a trainer that I can relate with. For the first time in 12 years, I have agreed to use IDE to write code. Prior to now NOTHING on earth would have encouraged me to use IDE whether eclipse, NetBeans or IntelliJ.

Don't get used to using ides sha. Google doesn't let you use them alongside other companies for code pairing interviews. It's word document. Use notepad sometimes too.

2 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by qtguru(m): 5:28pm On May 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

No IntelliJ for Java, strong man, I dare not try that. IntelliJ is an amazing IDE but Sublime Code works well sha if you want to avoid IDE

2 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by airsaylongcome: 5:31pm On May 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Don't get used to using ides sha. Google doesn't let you use them alongside other companies for code pairing interviews. It's word document. Use notepad sometimes too.

I learned to program using nano and vim on Linux. If you have used Linux before you will know that those text editors are brutal. So yeah I fully get were you are coming from with that advise. But a lot of stuff with IDE save you so much time it's encouraging me to continue. For example Getters/Setters, I used to hate them. I know what they do and how to type them out character by character. But a class with almost 20 attributes to type getter and setter was a huge turn off. I can if I have to but its not fun. Thanks for the heads up all the same. I go dey follow the vids on IntelliJ them replicate with Notepad++ when I want to tweak and play with the code
Re: I Give Up... (help) by airsaylongcome: 5:33pm On May 27, 2022
qtguru:

No IntelliJ for Java, strong man, I dare not try that. IntelliJ is an amazing IDE but Sublime Code works well sha if you want to avoid IDE

I will have a look at Sublime. I dey gather all of them down until I find the one I fully like. Eclipse seems fxcked though. Very laggy

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:40pm On May 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I learned to program using nano and vim on Linux. If you have used Linux before you will know that those text editors are brutal. So yeah I fully get were you are coming from with that advise. But a lot of stuff with IDE save you so much time it's encouraging me to continue. For example Getters/Setters, I used to hate them. I know what they do and how to type them out character by character. But a class with almost 20 attributes to type getter and setter was a huge turn off. I can if I have to but its not fun. Thanks for the heads up all the same. I go dey follow the vids on IntelliJ them replicate with Notepad++ when I want to tweak and play with the code

Getters and setters help you write cleaner code especially for object oriented programming. Helps you avoid instantiating your class everywhere and using the dot notation. It's also there in JavaScript but I have never seen it in any code base.

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 27, 2022
Think4Myself:

Your problem is jumping up and down from one place to another with no plan in mind.

Who is to say you won't dump Nodejs when something else comes up?

You don't need advice, you need patience... Calm down and stick to something for the next 3 months. Whatever it is, just STICK TO IT!

How does someone who barely know programming fundamentals go on to start DSA? The way una dey rush this thing day fear me

9 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Nobody is making me memorise a language's entire APIs. This is not 1994

Imagine having to remember what methods are available for a language and the parameters, in 2022?

Better keep your job

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:18pm On May 27, 2022
DrLevi:

Your problem is jumping up and down from one place to another with no plan in mind.

You don't need advice, you need patience... Calm down and stick to something for the next 3 months. Whatever it is, just STICK TO IT!

How does someone who barely know programming fundamentals go on to start DSA? The way una dey rush this thing day fear me

The dream is to earn and start fucking the hottest oloshos from Instagram and codedruns. Tech boys na the newest women wrappers in town o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Give Up... (help) by Xinjin: 6:55pm On May 27, 2022
Stay on one language and stop jumping around. Build as many project as you can and be comfortable with the language before going to another

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by plat0: 7:04pm On May 27, 2022
Css is not really hard, it takes time but you'd definitely get the hang of it. When I started out, I read the css docs on MDN, made personal notes on it. If you have cash you can get the Udemy courses listed below on weekdays(discounts are applied)

https://www.udemy.com/course/advanced-css-and-sass/

https://www.udemy.com/course/css-the-complete-guide-incl-flexbox-grid-sass/

Follow through with the projects in the course, plane landing pages and dashboards were built.

Learn to use Google effectively and the developer tool in your browser. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by platymus: 7:05pm On May 27, 2022
Well I have some good advice for you friend if you don't mind call me on 08089846577. I have been in shoes before,today I am a fullstack developer!
Re: I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 27, 2022
You may not go far with this attitude

That is, jumping from on language to the other

You'll end up being frustrated.

You want to learn bootstrap without knowing css?

You must use css with bootstrap lol

Like it's a must.... bootstrap just gives you a template... u still need css to position and align your elements well

Just learn only JavaScript to the point where you can consume API"s and the point where objects and classes doesn't scare you.

In a nutshell, learn programming and the logic behind it.... if you decide to learn one programming language and it's logic.... other ones will be like breeze to you.

They all use same logic

Only difference primarily is syntax

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 27, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You may not go far with this attitude

That is, jumping from on language to the other

You'll end up being frustrated.

You want to learn bootstrap without knowing css?

You must use css with bootstrap lol

Like it's a must.... bootstrap just gives you a template... u still need css to position and align your elements well

Just learn only JavaScript to the point where you can consume API"s and the point where objects and classes doesn't scare you.

In a nutshell, learn programming and the logic behind it.... if you decide to learn one programming language and it's logic.... other ones will be like breeze to you.

They all use same logic

Only difference primarily is syntax
Thanks
Re: I Give Up... (help) by SavageBoy: 8:29pm On May 27, 2022
@tensazangetsu20 and @airsaylongcome

What do you guys think you're doing undecided

Testing your technical knowledge and recounting past experiences?

2 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by airsaylongcome: 8:30pm On May 27, 2022
SavageBoy:
@tensazangetsu and @airsaylongcome

What do you guys think your doing undecided

Testing your technical knowledge and recounting past experiences

Lol! I apologise for derailing
Re: I Give Up... (help) by airsaylongcome: 8:32pm On May 27, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The dream is to earn and start fucking the hottest oloshos from Instagram and codedruns. Tech boys na the newest women wrappers in town o.

Is this where they spend their hard earned forex? IG and Codedruns? After working that hard?

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:22pm On May 27, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Is this where they spend their hard earned forex? IG and Codedruns? After working that hard?

Lol I am definitely sending you an invitation for the next programmers party we have grin grin

3 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by JoyousFurnitire(m): 9:38pm On May 27, 2022
platymus:
Well I have some good advice for you friend if you don't mind call me on 08089846577. I have been in shoes before,today I am a fullstack developer!

I wonder what you have for him that you can't type here. You already typed about five lines which can be also be used as an advice. Is there anything you want to tell him aside perseverance and consistency?

OP @DrLeVi is spot on!

Think about it, there's a certain age you're ripe to drive a car but not when you're still a kid.
Re: I Give Up... (help) by platymus: 10:36am On May 28, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

I wonder what you have for him that you can't type here. You already typed about five lines which can be also be used as an advice. Is there anything you want to tell him aside perseverance and consistency?

OP @DrLeVi is spot on!

Think about it, there's a certain age you're ripe to drive a car but not when you're still a kid.
Not so,I have never levy anyone on nairaland but rather mentor and helped them. I said he should call be so that I can haver a long conversation with him and share my experience, challenges and success with him all which I can't type here because I have projects at hand that keeps me very busy. Most times I do wireframing, prototyping up to the deployment of softwares on servers(which qualifies as a DevOps) using tools such as ansible, Jenkins,etc.

1 Like

Re: I Give Up... (help) by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:19am On May 28, 2022
platymus:

Not so,I have never levy anyone on nairaland but rather mentor and helped them. I said he should call be so that I can haver a long conversation with him and share my experience, challenges and success with him all which I can't type here because I have projects at hand that keeps me very busy. Most times I do wireframing, prototyping up to the deployment of softwares on servers(which qualifies as a DevOps) using tools such as ansible, Jenkins, etc.

No problem boss, big ups!
Re: I Give Up... (help) by lordally(m): 11:44am On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

This guy!! Hahahahahhahah
Re: I Give Up... (help) by remi1444: 11:50am On May 28, 2022
jbreezy:
I guess frontend ain't your thing then. Try to use your knowledge in javascript to learn backend development, node js & express.
No I disagree. If he decides to go the Backend path, he’s very likely to run too. Coding is not easy. It’s one of the most complex thing I’ve ever ventured all my life.
Re: I Give Up... (help) by remi1444: 11:52am On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Like you’d not be allowed to use VSC, how do you debug, test and run your code?
Re: I Give Up... (help) by remi1444: 11:55am On May 28, 2022
DrLevi:

My thought exactly, CSS sef, you just don’t master it, you need persistence and regular practice by taking on designs to implement.

2 Likes

Re: I Give Up... (help) by 3exe3: 4:17pm On May 28, 2022
Patience Is key but I will advise why don't you try downloading free templates and see what you can do with them.

You can use nodejs as the backend
Re: I Give Up... (help) by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 28, 2022
3exe3:
Patience Is key but I will advise why don't you try downloading free templates and see what you can do with them.

You can use nodejs as the backend
Ok, what about a CSS framework like bootstrap?
Re: I Give Up... (help) by Codingenthusias: 5:09pm On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I swear na better mad man you be sometimes cheesy cheesy
Re: I Give Up... (help) by Luzebox(m): 8:47pm On May 29, 2022
Think4Myself:

Ok, what about a CSS framework like bootstrap?
as a frontend developers u go need css...learn it first before any framework

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airline Flight Schedules? / Jamb Pass Questions And Answers / Simple Java Calculator Code.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.