Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,376 members, 7,861,034 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:41 PM

News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! (809 Views)

Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos / News Analysis: Time To Smash Tompolo And Gang / Presidency Orders Withdrawal Of Security Personnel From Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by henry101(m): 3:01am On Jul 17, 2011
By John Moyibi Amoda

Vanguard of Thursday, July 14, 2011 carried a story on its front page headlined, “France to partner Nigeria on security”. The specifics of this offer by France’s ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Jean Michel Dumond, include “a readiness to help Nigeria deal with the many insecurity situations threatening the stability of the country.

Mr. Dumond, meeting with the Senate President David Mark Wednesday, July 13, 2011, “noted that France was concerned about the insecurity in Nigeria, and assured that his country will partner Nigeria in the area of peacekeeping, security and stability of the West African sub-region. He said “The French Government is worried about the recent unrest in Nigeria and would therefore contribute her quota towards arresting the menace”.

France as reported above offered to partner Nigeria in two distinct geographical areas namely in:
1.The West African sub-region;
2. Nigeria.

The first specified collaboration in peacekeeping, security and stability of the West African sub-region- a task that assumes a stable and secure Nigeria; the second specified collaboration with the Nigerian government in dealing with insecurity in Nigeria. The first collaboration is in an inter-state partnership; while the second is intra-state. The parameters of the first are different from those of the second.

In the first, both France and Nigeria are third parties to the conflicts that the partnership will address. In the second, pertaining to Nigeria’s internal security, France is the third party. It is evident that third parties assume their own security and stability in their mediation of conflicts between contending parties, and understand that their mediations are to facilitate peace made by parties in conflict.

They can therefore present themselves as “honest brokers” of the peace that only parties in conflict can make. This is not the same as France’s offer to partner with government resolving Nigeria’s internal security matters. France’s role in Nigeria is structurally partisan- and it implies France’s offer to partner the Nigerian government in establishing a second secure and stable society providing an order that can be defended sustainably in the medium and long-term. In this partnership, France undertakes to assist the government in Nigeria in its endeavour to create an order that can be secured by Nigeria upon the termination of the partnership.

The challenge in this offer is that France cannot rely on its experience of creating governable orders in its sphere of state making. It has no relevance on-the-shelf expertise of creating political orders in Nigeria. Nigeria’s internal security challenges involve Nigerian parties in conflict. France offer to partner with Nigeria boils down to an offer to intervene in Nigeria’s national security conflicts as a partisan of the Nigerian government.

For that partnership to work, the Nigerian Government must know exactly who its “enemies” are, what their aims are in opting for conflict as their means and process for resolving their disputes with the Nigerian government; that partnership implies that the Nigerian government is unified and presents a common front against a common enemy. Thus the Nigerian-Franco Partnership for securing the society and stabilizing its order necessarily involves also stabilizing and securing the Nigerian government in its course of national security conflicts with its adversaries.

This is not the case with the Franco-Nigerian Partnership in peacekeeping in the West African sub-region. In this partnership, the assumption is that both partners have stable and secured hold on power in their respective domains of government.

There is therefore a need for the sequencing of the tasks involved in France’s offer of partnership. The survival interests of the Nigerian government must come first; Nigeria’s security interests have to be in the context of the inter-state security partnership in the West African sub-region.

Nigeria as described by France must choose its survival in order to be in a position to choose helping its neigbours. Both governments, the French and the Nigerian, should remember the routine instructions of air-lines to their passengers; first put on your oxygen mask and only after so doing assist your child to put on his or her own mask. What we have said about France applies equally to all third party partnerships offers, such as it is the case with Israel’s, Britain’s and United State’s.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/news-analysis-france%e2%80%99s-offer-of-security-partnership-with-nigeria/
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:15am On Jul 17, 2011
lol!
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by EzeUche(m): 3:25am On Jul 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

lol!

Shouldn't you with your friends at a club or event like most women living in Florida?
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:27am On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Shouldn't you with your friends at a club or event like most women living in Florida?

I dont club. Just came back from somewhere, left them to club.
And why arent you in the club?
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by EzeUche(m): 3:30am On Jul 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I dont club. Just came back from somewhere, left them to club.
And why arent you in the club?

I am tired, because I went to my cousin's graduation cookout.
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:32am On Jul 17, 2011
^^^congrats to your cousin, best of luck. I hope I get an invite to your graduation cook out next fall. I want to taste some oha soup wink
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by EzeUche(m): 3:57am On Jul 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^congrats to your cousin, best of luck. I hope I get an invite to your graduation cook out next fall. I want to taste some oha soup wink

You will once you start behaving yourself. What will you be giving me? wink
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by Nobody: 4:02am On Jul 17, 2011
^^^ Ehrrm, I'm not your 3 years old daughter. Try it again.
You get nothing. But I get something. It works that way.
Re: News Analysis: France’s Offer Of Security Partnership With Nigeria! by djustice: 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2011
henry101:

By John Moyibi Amoda

Vanguard of Thursday, July 14, 2011 carried a story on its front page headlined, “France to partner Nigeria on security”. The specifics of this offer by France’s ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Jean Michel Dumond, include “a readiness to help Nigeria deal with the many insecurity situations threatening the stability of the country.

Mr. Dumond, meeting with the Senate President David Mark Wednesday, July 13, 2011, “noted that France was concerned about the insecurity in Nigeria, and assured that his country will partner Nigeria in the area of peacekeeping, security and stability of the West African sub-region. He said “The French Government is worried about the recent unrest in Nigeria and would therefore contribute her quota towards arresting the menace”.

France as reported above offered to partner Nigeria in two distinct geographical areas namely in:
1.The West African sub-region;
2. Nigeria.

The first specified collaboration in peacekeeping, security and stability of the West African sub-region- a task that assumes a stable and secure Nigeria; the second specified collaboration with the Nigerian government in dealing with insecurity in Nigeria. The first collaboration is in an inter-state partnership; while the second is intra-state. The parameters of the first are different from those of the second.

In the first, both France and Nigeria are third parties to the conflicts that the partnership will address. In the second, pertaining to Nigeria’s internal security, France is the third party. It is evident that third parties assume their own security and stability in their mediation of conflicts between contending parties, and understand that their mediations are to facilitate peace made by parties in conflict.

They can therefore present themselves as “honest brokers” of the peace that only parties in conflict can make. This is not the same as France’s offer to partner with government resolving Nigeria’s internal security matters. France’s role in Nigeria is structurally partisan- and it implies France’s offer to partner the Nigerian government in establishing a second secure and stable society providing an order that can be defended sustainably in the medium and long-term. In this partnership, France undertakes to assist the government in Nigeria in its endeavour to create an order that can be secured by Nigeria upon the termination of the partnership.

The challenge in this offer is that France cannot rely on its experience of creating governable orders in its sphere of state making. It has no relevance on-the-shelf expertise of creating political orders in Nigeria. Nigeria’s internal security challenges involve Nigerian parties in conflict. France offer to partner with Nigeria boils down to an offer to intervene in Nigeria’s national security conflicts as a partisan of the Nigerian government.

For that partnership to work, the Nigerian Government must know exactly who its “enemies” are, what their aims are in opting for conflict as their means and process for resolving their disputes with the Nigerian government; that partnership implies that the Nigerian government is unified and presents a common front against a common enemy. Thus the Nigerian-Franco Partnership for securing the society and stabilizing its order necessarily involves also stabilizing and securing the Nigerian government in its course of national security conflicts with its adversaries.

This is not the case with the Franco-Nigerian Partnership in peacekeeping in the West African sub-region. In this partnership, the assumption is that both partners have stable and secured hold on power in their respective domains of government.

There is therefore a need for the sequencing of the tasks involved in France’s offer of partnership. The survival interests of the Nigerian government must come first; Nigeria’s security interests have to be in the context of the inter-state security partnership in the West African sub-region.

Nigeria as described by France must choose its survival in order to be in a position to choose helping its neigbours. Both governments, the French and the Nigerian, should remember the routine instructions of air-lines to their passengers; first put on your oxygen mask and only after so doing assist your child to put on his or her own mask. What we have said about France applies equally to all third party partnerships offers, such as it is the case with Israel’s, Britain’s and United State’s.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/news-analysis-france%e2%80%99s-offer-of-security-partnership-with-nigeria/

It's a Greek gift. It's no secret that France has always been jealous and wary of Nigeria's influence over her African vassal states.

If I were GEJ, I would pay lip service to this proposal, give them one fringe battalion to work with, and focus on getting serious military industrialisation assistance from the Chinese. They've already started with the satellite. We could work with them to re-tool DIC and move it down south, near the Ajaokuta Steel complex. I would restart the Mittal Concession of Ajaokuta, and get them to work with the Chinese on various issues relating to military production, while building local content growth into both deals.

France ko, farancey ni!!

(1) (Reply)

Suggestion: How The Nigerian Youths Can Protest Against Bad Govt. Peacefully / Ojukwu Not Abandoned In London – Umeh! / Ibadan Also Faces It: Rain Detroys Lives And Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.