Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? (2688 Views)

Come And Solve This Coding Problem / Senior Software Programmers Needed Urgently For Remote Opportunities / A 30 Day Coding Challenge (Python) For BEGINNERS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 8:09am On May 29, 2022
Apparently a senior software developer could not solve this coding interview problem, can you?

Given an array of numbers, list them in the order of most repeated. I.e:
[1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7] => [7,2,6,5,3,1]

source: ``https://www./programmer.nullposting/permalink/1456356328162617/?app=fbl``

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 8:13am On May 29, 2022
My solution:
def sort_by_frequency(arr):
fmap = {}
for num in arr:
fmap[num] = fmap.get(num, 0) + 1
arr = [ (v,k) for k,v in fmap.items() ]
arr.sort(reverse=True)
return [ b for a,b in arr ]

Let's see yours.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Nobody: 8:32am On May 29, 2022
Simple stuffz

Remember my days at leetcode.

I just add identical values in the arrays to a new array

Later check the length of each array then form a new array depending on which is longer

2 Likes

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Nobody: 8:33am On May 29, 2022
Let me solve it without using any array methods

2 Likes

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 8:52am On May 29, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Simple stuffz

Later check the length of each array then form a new array depending on which is longer
That's an interesting way to look at it, looking forward to your solution.

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Deicide: 8:59am On May 29, 2022
Who is the senior software developer? Make Una stop to day lie undecided

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:06am On May 29, 2022
Just use a hashmap. If the elements in the array are more than once increase the count on the hashmap to 2. Loop through the map and then push to a new array the elements that have a count of more than 1.

2 Likes

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 9:15am On May 29, 2022
Deicide:
Who is the senior software developer? Make Una stop to day lie undecided
Take a look at the source. Fair enough any developer interviewing for a senior role would simply be a senior in that context.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 9:22am On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Just use a hashmap. If the elements in the array are more than once increase the count on the hashmap to 2. Loop through the map and then push to a new array the elements that have a count of more than 1.
This addresses the first part of the problem only, remember, even elements with a count of 1 should be in the output array, also hashmaps are not ordered by default so you'd have to address that too.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Grandlord: 9:24am On May 29, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Simple stuffz

I guess the dictionary or hashmap solution above would be more efficient than this method if you consider space complexity.
Your approach would require creating a new array for every new value but you could just use a
dictionary once and for all.

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:29am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

This addresses the first part of the problem only, remember, even elements with a count of 1 should be in the output array, also hashmaps are not ordered by default so you'd have to address that too.

Oh yeah that's true I thought it was duplicates getting removed. Well with each element in the map. We would need to create a form of queue and then push to that queue from largest count to the lowest count and we can sort that address issue.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Grandlord: 9:32am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

Sort the map based on the keys. Then proceed to extract corresponding values into the output array, in that order.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 9:43am On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Oh yeah that's true I thought it was duplicates getting removed. Well with each element in the map. We would need to create a form of queue and then push to that queue from largest count to the lowest count and we can sort that address issue.
Exactly, a priority queue would work here, we use the counts of the numbers as the priority and so the numbers with the highest priorities gets dequeued first.
We could also create a value-key pair from the hashmap and store in an array,i.e [[3,7], [2,2], [2, 6]...] and sort the array in descending order, finally we iterate through this array and push the second element of each array element into a new array.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 9:46am On May 29, 2022
Grandlord:

Sort the map based on the keys. Then proceed to extract corresponding values into the output array, in that order.
This should work, but a map cannot be sorted, we would have to use some sort of ordered map.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Grandlord: 9:53am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

This should work, but a map cannot be sorted, we would have to use some sort of ordered map.

Sure a map can't be directly sorted. What I meant was sorting it's keys/counts extracted into an ArrayList.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:59am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

Exactly, a priority queue would work here, we use the counts of the numbers as the priority and so the numbers with the highest priorities gets dequeued first.
We could also create a value-key pair from the hashmap and store in an array,i.e [[3,7], [2,2], [2, 6]...] and sort the array in descending order, finally we iterate through this array and push the second element of each array element into a new array.

The second one is actually easy to do in JavaScript you should call object.entries on the object and you can then sort and push those elements to a new array.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 10:05am On May 29, 2022
Grandlord:

Sure a map can't be directly sorted. What I meant was sorting it's keys/counts extracted into an ArrayList.
Oh my bad, this was my approach too.

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Grandlord: 10:10am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

Oh my bad, this was my approach too.

What were the time and space complexities of your solution?
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 10:13am On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The second one is actually easy to do in JavaScript you should call object.entries on the object and you can then sort and push those elements to a new array.
Yeah this is what I did in my solution, though there's no "Object.entries" in python, nice.

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 10:21am On May 29, 2022
Grandlord:

What were the time and space complexities of your solution?
The space complexity would be 0(n).
The time complexity is a little bit different, in the worst case scenario, i.e where all array elements are unique, it would be O(n log n) since we're sorting the key-value pairs, but it could also be O(n) if the inputs are mostly duplicates.

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Deicide: 11:07am On May 29, 2022
Sort the Array in descending number first, then use unordered_map to prevent resorting.

int main() {
ios::sync_with_stdio(0);
cin.tie(0);
vector<int> temp = {1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7};
sort(begin(temp), end(temp), greater<>());
unordered_map<int, int> freq;
for(auto i : temp) ++freq[i];
for(auto[key,value] : freq) cout<<key<<" -> "<<value<<endl;
}

@seun abeg add beta code format feature for this Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by stanliwise(m): 11:16am On May 29, 2022
namikaze:
Apparently a senior software developer could not solve this coding interview problem, can you?

Given an array of numbers, list them in the order of most repeated. I.e:
[1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7] => [7,2,6,5,3,1]

source: ``https://www./programmer.nullposting/permalink/1456356328162617/?app=fbl``
Stop playing petty tricks. You’re the “senior developer” that can’t solve it

1 Like

Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:18am On May 29, 2022
I hate live coding because 70% of real problems are solved through googling.

Even though I must have studied how to do this, I still don't recollect until I google.

My TypeScript solution after googling how to reverse an array and eliminate duplicate numbers in array.

const numArr : number[] = [1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7];

const reNumArr : number[] = [...new Set(numArr.reverse())];

console.log(reNumArr);

^^^ This doesn't check most repeated.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 1:10pm On May 29, 2022
stanliwise:

Stop playing petty tricks. You’re the “senior developer” that can’t solve it
What tricks? there's a source up there bro if you want to verify. I'm only posting this cause I and others in the group were able to solve what a supposed "senior" developer a member interviewed could not, I'm still a junior myself.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 1:14pm On May 29, 2022
Deicide:
Sort the Array in descending number first, then use unordered_map to prevent resorting.

int main() {
ios::sync_with_stdio(0);
cin.tie(0);
vector<int> temp = {1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7};
sort(begin(temp), end(temp), greater<>());
unordered_map<int, int> freq;
for(auto i : temp) ++freq[i];
for(auto[key,value] : freq) cout<<key<<" -> "<<value<<endl;
}

@seun abeg add beta code format feature for this Nairaland.
It did not compile, plus output should be an array.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 1:17pm On May 29, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:
 const numArr : number[] = [1,2,6,2,3,7,7,5,7,6,2,7];
const reNumArr : number[] = [...new Set(numArr.reverse())];
console.log(reNumArr);

^^^ This doesn't check most repeated.
Well It should check the repetition, that's what the question is really about.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by MeMiTi: 4:30pm On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Is it possible to solve it in O(n) time?
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:32pm On May 29, 2022
MeMiTi:

Is it possible to solve it in O(n) time?

Yeah definitely both solutions will run in o(n) time
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by MeMiTi: 5:02pm On May 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah definitely both solutions will run in o(n) time

Sorting will take nlogn time and priority queue will also take nlogn time since every insertion and deletion takes logn.

I think this might be the best solution, since you'll have to sort it one way or the other.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by Deicide: 5:06pm On May 29, 2022
namikaze:

It did not compile, plus output should be an array.
did you include the required library?

#include <iostream>
#include <functional>
#include <unordered_map>
using namespace std;

You also have to be on c++ 17 + to run the code.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:12pm On May 29, 2022
MeMiTi:

Sorting will take nlogn time and priority queue will also take nlogn time since every insertion and deletion takes logn.

I think this might be the best solution, since you'll have to sort it one way or the other.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about this. Thanks for the correction.
Re: A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? by namikaze: 6:02pm On May 29, 2022
Deicide:
did you include the required library?

#include <iostream>
#include <functional>
#include <unordered_map>
using namespace std;

You also have to be on c++ 17 + to run the code.
Now it compiles, but the output is just a key - value pair of numbers and counts, you'd have to return an array/vector that satisfies the problem description.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Problem With Java Gui Design / Please How Did You Solve Your Power Need Without Use Of Generator / Chat Room Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.