Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,610 members, 7,840,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' (727 Views)

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) / Governor Obi Evacuating Flood Victims (Pictures) / Oshiomole In A Canoe Helping Flood Victims: Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by OAM4J: 5:53am On Jul 18, 2011
[size=13pt]‘Release emergency funds for Lagos flood victims'[/size]

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=Wc_FuFSBMCnr0c6VBweYUS6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxTDbw5bXN8NLN65c7XqGWBynW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

The Lagos State Commissioner for Housing, Bosun Jeje, on Sunday urged the Federal Government to release funds to the state to ameliorate the devastation caused by the recent flood.

Mr Jeje told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos that the effect of the July 10 rain and its attendant flood on human settlements was overwhelming for the state.

"The effect of that rain on human settlement was devastating and aside from taking many lives, it also destroyed many homes and properties," he said.

While commiserating with the victims, the commissioner urged residents of the state to desist from indiscriminate dumping of refuse in drainage channels.

Mr Jeje also appealed to people who built on drainage setbacks to remove them in the interest of other citizens.

According to him, buildings on drainage setbacks constitute the biggest threat to the free flow of water.

He noted that adequate housing was a major challenge in megacities worldwide, and that Lagos as an emerging megacity, was no exception.

Jeje said the loss of many homes to the flood had worsened the accommodation situation in the state, which according to him has a housing deficit of more than 500,000.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Environment/5733446-146/story.csp
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Nobody: 5:55am On Jul 18, 2011
Obv, dude no sabi jeje tongue cheesy

I'm going to need KoboJunkie to say sth on this thread. She was saying sth about the funds given to Lagos for this same disaster a while back.
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by aljharem3: 5:57am On Jul 18, 2011
the FG is not ready to release funds for lagos

SW is the FG last priority
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Kobojunkie: 6:04am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Obv, dude no sabi jeje tongue cheesy

I'm going to need KoboJunkie to say sth on this thread. She was saying sth about the funds given to Lagos for this same disaster a while back.
Yes!! last year's 1 billion naira from the FG -- I read has been released to Lagos State. It was supposed to be used to help flood victims, from last year's flood. Less than a year later, the same Lagos is asking for more flood money. Questions abound.
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 18, 2011
^^^ that is all I wanted to hear.

So what was done with the money? Was the money supposed to be handed out to the flood victims and/or to be used to develop future flood damage preventions?
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by OAM4J: 6:34am On Jul 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes!! last year's 1 billion naira from the FG -- I read has been released to Lagos State. It was supposed to be used to help flood victims, from last year's flood. Less than a year later, the same Lagos is asking for more flood money. Questions abound.

Considering the magnitude of the problem, how far can 1 billion go in addressing the problem?

Remind me again of how much billions was spent for 1 week independence celebration?
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 18, 2011
alj_harem:

the FG is not ready to release funds for lagos

SW is the FG last priority

Mr "Nigeria must not divide"

Statements like this are rather insensitive and uncalled for.

SW is FG's last priority? but this isn't about SW, this is about Lagos with about 18mil Nigerians,

And you think with people like you cheering "Nigeria must not divide" people will believe Nigeria must not divide?
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Sunofgod(m): 7:07am On Jul 18, 2011
Inhabitants of Lagos need to withold paying taxes until further notice.

Look at what they get in return.
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Desola(f): 7:43am On Jul 18, 2011
I want to hear them talk about tough measure like demolishing structure blocking waste ways and handing down heavy penalties or possibly jail sentences for illegal dumping of refuse.

No more appellation, I want to see the hand of the law descend heavily on those who break these laws.

When those measures are put in place, it would be clear where the blame lies and if then happens to be the government, they would be made to face the music!
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Desola(f): 7:44am On Jul 18, 2011
I want to hear them talk about tough measures like demolishing structures blocking waste ways and handing down heavy penalties or possibly jail sentences for illegal dumping of refuse.

No more appeals, I want to see the hand of the law descend heavily on those who break these laws.

When those measures are put in place, it would be clear where the blame lies and if then happens to be the government, they would be made to face the music!
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Ystranger: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2011
Desola:

I want to hear them talk about tough measure like demolishing structure blocking waste ways and handing down heavy penalties or possibly jail sentences for illegal dumping of refuse.

Who approved those structures in the first place?

You cant approve and un-approve. People's lives and aspirations and schedule and dream and everything are involved here.

No more appellation, I want to see the hand of the law descend heavily on those who break these laws.

Hopefully, punishments would be handed down equally.

When those measures are put in place, it would be clear where the blame lies and if then happens to be the government, t[b]hey would be made to face the music![/b]

Let your imagination run wild with you.
Re: ‘Release Emergency Funds For Lagos Flood Victims' by Ystranger: 10:41am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ that is all I wanted to hear.

So what was done with the money? Was the money supposed to be handed out to the flood victims and/or to be used to develop future flood damage preventions?

Kobojunkie:

@Ileke-idi, dont even try taking GMAT or the GREs, you will fail. Honestly, just being honest here.

(1) (Reply)

yuyuy / 'jonathan’s Six- Year Single Term Is Better For Nigeria' / Boko Haram: Military Beefs Up Security In Defence Hqtrs, Barracks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.