Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,380 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos (4960 Views)

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) / Chibok: I Am Not Uncaring As Portrayed - Jonathan / ACN Condemns Declaration Of State of Emergency! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by OAM4J: 6:37am On Jul 18, 2011
[size=13pt]ACN condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan[/size]

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) yesterday expressed its disappointment at the failure of President Goodluck Jonathan to visit Lagos State, and show concern, in the aftermath of last Sunday’s devastating flooding in parts of the state.
The party, in a statement issued in London by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said President Jonathan should realise he is the President of all Nigerians, not only of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its supporters, hence he should see the entire country as his constituency.
Besides, it said, Lagos is the economic heartbeat of Nigeria and home to all Nigerians, irrespective of their tribes, hence whatever affects Lagos touches every Nigerian one way or the other.

ACN wondered how the President can be so quiet despite the devastating effect of an unusually heavy rainfall on in Lagos on July 10, in which some 264mm of rainfall (a volume equivalent to what is usually recorded in one month of rainfall) was recorded in a single day, leading to massive flooding that claimed the lives of many residents and caused a huge damage to property.

The party said: “A President that is not too busy to receive all manners of people in Aso Rock has not deemed it fit to embark on a quick trip to a state as strategic for all Nigerians and the nation’s economy as Lagos, after such a state was hit hard by a natural disaster. Even if the President and his advisers did not understand the symbolism of such visit, they could have taken a cue from what obtains in other climes.
The party went on: “In April 2010, Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao both postponed planned overseas trips because of a strong earthquake in Northwestern China. In April 2010, US President Barrack Obama visited flood-hit Massachusetts, and personally thanked emergency operation officials monitoring flooding in the state. He carried out a similar tour of tornado-hit Missouri this year. And in November 2009, then British Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited flood-hit Cumbria in Northwest England to see the damage caused and show government support for the victims.

“These are instances to be emulated by any leader who believes the people are the source of his powers. President Jonathan, who by the way received massive votes in Lagos during the last elections, should not be an exception,’’ the party said. “Today marks the eighth day since the Lagos flooding, and President Jonathan has yet to visit the state or even comment on the incident. This is not right.’’

ACN expressed shock that instead of the President’s party pointing him to the right path by encouraging him to visit Lagos after the flooding to show federal support and rally emergency service officials, especially the National Emergency Management Agency, the party (PDP) resorted to cheap politics by asking Gov. Fashola to resign, as if he - or anyone at all - has control over natural disasters.

The party praised Governor Babatunde Fashola and his team for their prompt response to the flood disaster, saying the state government’s show of concern for the victims and its quick intervention to alleviate their suffering went a long way in soothing the pains of affected Lagosians and reassuring them that their government cares.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/12775-acn-condemns-%E2%80%98uncaring%E2%80%99-jonathan.html
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by OAM4J: 6:39am On Jul 18, 2011
I guess it is the price Lagos has to pay for being in the opposition.

But Again Lagos voted for GEJ not Ribadu or Buhari undecided
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:03am On Jul 18, 2011
Let's be fair here . . he showed up last flood, less than a year ago. What will his showing up really do? The money from last flood is probably yet to be used since it was claimed to have been disbursed to Lagos. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by agitator: 9:57am On Jul 18, 2011
yorubas need alms, from ODECHUKWU grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by maclatunji: 10:05am On Jul 18, 2011
I agree with the ACN on this one. The challenges you face as President are humongous but you have to adapt quickly and be creative. GEJ is not showing dynamism at all. Practically all federal roads in Lagos are in a state of disrepair. Yet you want to transform the economy, you must be kidding me.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by phantom(m): 10:11am On Jul 18, 2011
Yet nothing stopped him from showing up in lagos several times before the elections to play politics, nigerian leaders sef,
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by seanet02: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Let's be fair here . .  he showed up last flood, less than a year ago. What will his showing up really do? The money from last flood is probably yet to be used since it was claimed to have been disbursed to Lagos.  undecided undecided undecided
You hardly make sense on this forum.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by slimyem: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2011
I really dont see any sense in Jonathan's coming to Lagos.what for??to talk the usual gibberish??
He should spare us all of that.Lagos wiil do just fyn without him
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by edogirl2: 10:41am On Jul 18, 2011
being a president and a 'leader' are two different things. uncle joe was not prepared for all of this. i have this picture in my head of him holed up in a room with political servants pouring cold water on him while shouting, bombs in bornu! bombs in suleija!! floods in lagos!!! and a drousy uncle joe wakes up muttering, really?
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by gists: 10:47am On Jul 18, 2011
Personally, I don't think he has to come. There are other things he could have done to show he is concerned. I'm seriously restraining myself from saying  southwesterners got what they paid for. Going by the fact that the elections in the SW were the most credile and GEJ got overwhealming votes particularly in Lagos. The popular solgan then was we voted for GEJ and not PDP. Well, I won't say we told you so. My advice is just forget you have a president for the next 3yrs 10months. Hopefully by then we would be wiser not to let ethinicty and religious sentiments (but rather past anticidents and performance) be the determining factor for casting votes.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Gbawe: 10:49am On Jul 18, 2011
edo.girl:

being a president and a 'leader' are two different things. uncle joe was not prepared for all of this.                                                                                                  i have this picture in my head of him holed up in a room with political servants pouring cold water on him while shouting, bombs in bornu! bombs in suleija!! floods in lagos!!! and a drousy  uncle joe wakes up muttering, really?

Indeed. I stated this before the election. One only has to look at GEJ's actions to see that he is a highly partisan individual who is not ready to lead on behalf of all Nigerians. We all saw how GEJ turned his back on folks in Ogun state and left them at the mercy of Daniel when the former Governor organised an illegal impeachment of the speaker. OGD did all that because he desperately wanted to get his hands on a 100 billion Naira retirement fund bond. If GEJ is tacitly endorsing such daylight robbery against the good people of Ogun state what made Nigerian voters think he would be ready to show leadership when it matters?  GEJ is here to protect the AGIPs (any government in power) who all queued behind him unanimously. The sooner Nigerians realise this , the better for them.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by agitator: 11:47am On Jul 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Indeed. I stated this before the election. One only has to look at GEJ's actions to see that he is a highly partisan individual who is not ready to lead on behalf of all Nigerians. We all saw how GEJ turned his back on folks in Ogun state and left them at the mercy of Daniel when the former Governor organised an illegal impeachment of the speaker. OGD did all that because he desperately wanted to get his hands on a 100 billion Naira retirement fund bond. If GEJ is tacitly endorsing such daylight robbery against the good people of Ogun state what made Nigerian voters think he would be ready to show leadership when it matters?  GEJ is here to protect the AGIPs (any government in power) who all queued behind him unanimously. The sooner Nigerians realise this , the better for them.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOUR WIFE SLAPPED YOU AND GEJ DIDN'T SAY A WORD BECAUSE HE WAS SUPPORTING HER wink
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Gbawe: 12:32pm On Jul 18, 2011
agitator:

I REMEMBER WHEN YOUR WIFE SLAPPED YOU AND GEJ DIDN'T SAY A WORD BECAUSE HE WAS SUPPORTING HER wink

Ol boy, don't worry about who slapped me or otherwise. Rather , enjoy your "fresh air" with my complete permission.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2011
The man should have declared Lagos state a disaster are and release federal funds to help the victims. But what can he do really? The man can not even tie his own shoe.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by DEEHASAL(m): 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2011
GEJ is slowly but consistently proving to be exactly who i think he is: A mistake in NIgeria's history.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Gbawe: 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2011
DEEHASAL:

GEJ is slowly but consistently proving to be exactly who i think he is: A mistake in NIgeria's history.

He may possibly be our greatest mistake because I see GEJ's inactions/actions , stemming from how ridiculously compromised his presidency is, precipitating serious chaos for Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by dplordx(m): 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2011
Na GEJ i dey vote; nor be pDp.
Tell me: whats the difference.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2011
What do you expect from ODECHUKWU, A man that is so clueless that he has no shoes

Maybe he was hoping Lagosians would pray so that criminals confess
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by mallorca(m): 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2011
dayokanu:

What do you expect from ODECHUKWU, A man that is so clueless that he has no shoes

Maybe he was hoping Lagosians would pray so that criminals confess
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by EzeUche(m): 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2011
Some people may see GEJ as a mistake, but I see him as a blessing. Many of us knew, by electing him, he may be the last president of a united Nigeria. cool
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by ak47mann(m): 6:09pm On Jul 18, 2011
Nigeria should not forget there is time for everything time for politics time for tribalism ACN should remember that tongue tongue tongue
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by enyojo(f): 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2011
I RETURNED TO SEE THAT GEJ IS SLIPPING INTO FURTHER CLUELESSNESS!
THE CHARADE OF MINISTERIALISM LEFT HIM MORE INEPT
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by honeric01(m): 6:14pm On Jul 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe he was hoping Lagosians would pray so that criminals confessTHE FLOOD CONFESSES AND REPENT
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by daphil: 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2011
Why are you guys asking for GEJ's head after the gbemu the ACN/BAT collected before voting for him in Lagos? Lagos State Govt has already received her reward. tongue
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Toonice(m): 6:24pm On Jul 18, 2011
Goodluck for Jonathan, Badluck to Nigeria.

U people have just started the suffering from People Deceiving People Party.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Toonice(m): 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2011
Goodluck for Jonathan, Badluck to Nigeria.

U people have just started the suffering from People Deceiving People Party.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2011
I strongly feel the president has personality issues to tackle, issues stopping him from doing his work. is it the juju in aso rock or his alleged drinking habit or another thing? time will tell
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by abatta: 6:39pm On Jul 18, 2011
I dont think GEJ is d prob of nig. our prob is d pdp cult. if GEJ hd bn ACN he would hv performed beta. pdp needs a break!
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by samstradam: 6:48pm On Jul 18, 2011
Well we all wanted issue based civilised (whiteman) politics- it's seems internally and externally Lagos politics is the closest thing to it for now.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by Serendipity: 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2011
Abegii, why should he visit? Inasmuch as I sympathise with the victims, ACN should take time because its not only in Lagos that such takes place. Let Fashola grant them emergency fund. Period!
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by EzeUche(m): 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2011
babaearly:

I strongly feel the president has personality issues to tackle, issues stopping him from doing his work. is it the juju in aso rock or his alleged drinking habit or another thing? time will tell

Who can blame him? I would be drinking as well if I had to worry about Northerners who are standing behind me with knives sharpened.
Re: Lagos Flood: Acn Condemns ‘uncaring’ Jonathan For Not Visiting Lagos by blaqqyboi: 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2011
would his coming to Lagos stop the flood. Let us not politicize this whole thing. With all the killings in Borno, has he visited them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: GEJ Finally Declares Interest In 2015 Election / Biased Attitude Of Nigerian Christains Towards Politics / Fearless Mothers Joined Protest In Enugu. Release Of Nnamdi Kanu.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.