Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,156 members, 7,835,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth (1256 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Come To The UK Right Now / I Have Decided To Walk From Nigeria To Egypt (see Screenshot) / The University Graduate Who Got Stranded In Libya While Traveling To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth by ExploreWithToy: 10:03pm On May 31, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KsUHg14hw

5 Reasons Traveling to Egypt is More Trouble Than It's Worth

Egypt has been one of the most visited countries in the world since its discovery in the late 19th century. Its massive monuments and rich history are what first attracts people to it, but once they arrive, tourists often discover that there’s more trouble than there’s worth when traveling to Egypt. Whether you’re planning on going to Egypt yourself or simply want to know what you’re getting into before your friends take off on their Egyptian adventure, here are five reasons why traveling to Egypt isn’t always as good as it seems.

1) There are only two seasons
Summer and winter. If you travel in December or January, you'll find that there are three seasons: summer, winter, and heavy rain/mist. The downside of living in Egypt is that it rains a lot; if you're looking for sunshine all year long, perhaps don't choose to live here. Temperatures range from hot—sometimes around 120 degrees Fahrenheit—to colder than sub-zero during winter months. And while it rains most often in spring and fall, it can also happen at any time of year; come prepared with an umbrella or just get used to walking around in a wet shirt!

2) Pickpockets

The worst part about traveling in Egypt (and Cairo in particular) is that it’s simply not safe. There are a lot of pickpockets who hang out near tourist attractions and will steal your stuff at first opportunity. It happened to me on my third day there: I was sitting at a café eating lunch when a teenager came over and started talking to me in Arabic, asking where I was from, etc., while he picked my pocket. When he left, I discovered that he had stolen my wallet! And that wasn’t even the worst part—it turns out some of my credit cards were damaged by pickpocket-quality heat; so now they can’t be used any more.

3) Tourist scams
The biggest disadvantage of living in Egypt today is all of the tourist scams. As an expat in Cairo, you'll be constantly harassed for money and ignored if you don't have a few dollars to give. If you value your time and wallet, steer clear of downtown Cairo and any other area frequented by tourists. Instead, choose a neighborhood where there are plenty of local businesses and people who won't give you strange looks when you accidentally speak English. Living elsewhere can make life so much easier while still allowing you access to historical sites, museums, and other things worth seeing as a tourist or business person visiting Egypt.

4) Culture shock
Whether you’re a seasoned globetrotter or new to international travel, adjusting to life in another country can be difficult. Even if you’ve visited another country before, chances are high that you’ll experience something called culture shock upon arriving in Egypt. For example, you might find it difficult understanding how people communicate or how they socialize. Do yourself a favor and prepare for culture shock before it arrives by learning what symptoms to expect and how you can best manage them as they arise.

5) Everyone wants your money

Anyone who has spent time in a developing country will tell you how much more hassle-free it is living in a first-world country. You won’t get pulled over randomly by cops on bikes demanding a bribe; you won’t get ripped off by hotel clerks; and most importantly, you won’t have creepy men trying to sell you their daughters while they handle your hair.

In Conclusion
The downside of living in Egypt isn’t so much that it’s a dangerous place (which it very well may be). Instead, it has a lot more to do with all those things that come along with living abroad: culture shock, homesickness, an inability to feel fully comfortable. When you travel somewhere new and exciting, there are bound to be some surprises—that’s why travelers should always keep their wits about them. In general, it’s just easier when you have your own house and know your way around. Plus, hotels are expensive! That said, there are plenty of good reasons for traveling here too—most notably, because nothing can truly prepare you for life in another country.

Re: 5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth by ExploreWithToy: 4:13pm On Jun 02, 2022
Lalasticlala DisGuy justwise mynd44 seun
Re: 5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth by Warmaterial(m): 1:17pm On Jun 04, 2022
That's the disadvantage of travelling to shit hole.
Re: 5 Reasons Traveling To Egypt Is More Trouble Than It's Worth by Exceed15: 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2023
Informative

(1) (Reply)

Having Problem With Your Uk Visa Application[there Is Hope] / Erbody Let's All Say: Haaapi But-day Nethacker! / Traveling To Port Harcourt For First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.