Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

French Open: Nadal Doubles Down On Retirement After Knocking Out Djokovictennis - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / French Open: Nadal Doubles Down On Retirement After Knocking Out Djokovictennis (153 Views)

Anthony Joshua Celebrates With Floyd Mayweather Moments After Knocking Out Pulev / Ighalo Hints At U-turn On His International Retirement After A Cryptic Tweet / Tribute To Mikel Obi As Sunset For His Int'l Retirement After AFCON 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

French Open: Nadal Doubles Down On Retirement After Knocking Out Djokovictennis by solbase10(m): 12:41pm On Jun 01, 2022
Tennis superstar Rafael Nadal has revealed that he could call time on his illustrious 21-year career as soon as the end of the French Open due to a flare up of his foot injury.

The world No.5 put on an inspirational display to defeat fierce rival Novak Djokovic in the quarter finals despite the chronic injury that has plagued him since 2005.

The Spaniard toppled the highest seeded men’s player, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(4) on his favourite clay surface in a four set epic battle that lasted more than four hours in Paris.

Nadal was forced to comeback from a 5-2 deficit in the fourth set to land himself a spot in the semi-finals where he will play world No.3 Alexander Zverev

The 35-year-old, who will celebrate his 36th birthday on Friday, remained tight-lipped about playing future Grand Slams in his post-match courtside interview.

“To win against Novak there’s only one way — to play at your best since the first point until the last,” the 13-time French Open champion, said in front of a Nadal-favoured crowd.

“And tonight it was one of this magic nights for me. Unexpected level.

“Without a doubt there’s no other place like this one for me. It’s the most important court of my career, the most special one.

“And as I said, for me to feel the love of everyone here in Paris means everything to me.”
Meanwhile, Djokovic has played down Rafael Nadal’s injury issues, saying he looked ‘100% physically fit’ in Tuesday night’s French Open quarter-final, while he claims almost the entire crowd were on the Spaniard’s side.

But Djokovic appeared to play down the severity of Nadal’s injury issues, saying he did not see any signs of discomfort out on court, and suggested the Spaniard always finds a way to raise his game when it matters.

‘I think the crowd contributed a lot to the turnaround in the fourth set,’ said the Serb. ‘They were 99.9% by his side and they lifted him up in crucial moments. They helped him to find his energy.’

Source: https://www.completesports.com/french-open-nadal-doubles-down-on-retirement-after-knocking-out-djokovic/

Re: French Open: Nadal Doubles Down On Retirement After Knocking Out Djokovictennis by rayvelez(m): 2:52pm On Jun 01, 2022
King of clay

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cornelius Double Gives Danes 2-1 Victory Over France / Risk Free Bet- Germany Vs England / Free Daily 2+ Odds Everyday For 30days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.