Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,324 members, 7,836,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Nigerian-Ukrainian And His Family Lands In Canada - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian-Ukrainian And His Family Lands In Canada (251 Views)

U.K PM, Rishi Sunak Lands In Israel / 2nd Nigerian-ukrainian Family Lands In Canada / Iran Says It ‘unintentionally’ Shot Down Ukrainian Jetliner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian-Ukrainian And His Family Lands In Canada by chopnaira: 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2022
Ukrainian-Nigerian family’s life in Canada begins
‘I want to thank them so much for giving my kids and my family this opportunity to smile once again,’ says father

The long journey is almost over for a young Ukrainian family who arrived in Winnipeg Friday. It’s only a matter of hours now before they’re driven through the forests of the Canadian Shield to a lodge in northwestern Ontario. The hope is there, the children — who’ve been through so much — can be kids again while the parents adjust to their new home country.

Viktoriia Katsal, Christian Anayo Egwuom, and their two children, Davyd Egwuom, 9, and Filip Egwuom, 4, will be staying at Browns’ Clearwater West Lodge in Atikokan, Ont., thanks to an initiative headed by the lodge’s owner, Aniela Hannaford.

"I want to thank them so much for giving my kids and my family this opportunity to smile once again," Egwuom said. "We still pray for those back home; we still remember them so much."

Hannaford knew she wanted to open her doors to Ukrainian families the moment she heard Russian forces were shelling the nation. Without hesitation, she freed up the lodge this year to accommodate as many families fleeing the war as possible.

"We’re providing work for the first three families for the next six months," Hannaford said. "After that, we have another facility right beside where they’re going to be staying… We’ll bring families over and rotate them so they can come over, decompress, intentionally choose the community they want to be in, have some time to find work and housing, and get set up comfortably."

Hannaford connected with the family through a Facebook group for Ukrainian refugees seeking housing in Canada. The chaos and bloodshed in Ukraine took an emotional toll on Egwuom and Katsal’s children, the father said. At one point, the family had been in hiding for eight days — the boys in tears for much of this time, Egwuom said. The parents decided it was in the family’s best interest to flee their home in Kryvyi Rih, a city of about 600,000 people in central Ukraine. After crossing into Poland, the family stayed in Austria for three weeks before departing to Canada. Once they secured visas, the rest fell into place.

Egwuom, who was born in Nigeria and moved to Ukraine 14 years ago, said he’s overwhelmed by how co-ordinated the Hannafords were in getting his family to Canada.

[b]"They cared for us; they gave us all we needed," Egwuom said. "We lacked nothing — not any single thing."[/b]Egwuom said that upon leaving Ukraine, his children’s conversations gravitated to things that had happened back home. But, since arriving in Canada, their talk has shifted to curiosity about this new country.

Egwuom said his son Davyd has enjoyed experiencing the difference in weather from Toronto to Winnipeg.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ukrainian-familys-life-in-canada-begins-576400992.html

Re: Nigerian-Ukrainian And His Family Lands In Canada by delzbaba(m): 4:00pm On Jun 01, 2022
Naija men dey waka sha,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-Ukrainian And His Family Lands In Canada by Ibrahimcoomasie: 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2022
Congrats to him and his family.

See upliftment from Ukraine (poorest country in Europe) to Canada (One of the richest countries in the world).

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: America President, Joe Biden Falls Off His Bike Near His Beach Home In / Ukraines President Zelensky Calls Africa A Hostage. / At Last, Burkina Ex-leader Compaore Apologises To Family Of Slain Sankara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.