Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,495 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi (12997 Views)

Super Tucano Jets Pound Boko Haram Enclaves In Sambisa Forest, Kill 49 Terrorist / Garba Shehu: Kukah’s Criticism Of FG Led To Delayed Delivery Of Tucano Jets / Nigeria Paid $500m For New Tucano Jets – U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 6:07pm On Jun 02, 2022
Former Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme, NHIS, Professor Usman Yusuf, has lamented what he called the Federal Government’s increasing militarisation of banditry in the country, stating that a million Tucano jets will not solve the problem.

Making reference to the 12 Tucano jets recently purchased by the Federal Government, Usman said banditry is a social issue.

His views were also echoed by Islamic cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Gumi, who expressed fears about the seeming infiltration of herdsmen by elements of the Boko Haram terrorists.

Gumi restated his earlier position that Nigeria has pushed the bandits to the wall and bemoaned the growing animosity towards the Fulani, saying while over 99 percent of them are good people, it is only an insignificant number of herdsmen who have taken to crimes.

They spoke at an interactive policy dialogue and cultural festival organised by the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore Fulani Sociocultural Association launched with the aim of addressing challenges confronting the Fulani ethnic stock in Nigeria.

The first interactive policy dialogue and cultural festival with the theme “The future of Fulani Pastoralists in Nigeria” was held on Thursday in Abuja

Delivering his keynote address, Prof. Usman said: “Banditry is a social problem and Nigeria is increasingly militarising it. There is a role for the military, but there is not going to be a military solution to banditry anywhere in this country.

“Only if we all come in to solve this problem, and it is not time to blame anybody; we are all in this mess together and somebody told me we all bore this ‘pregnancy’ and gave birth to this monster called banditry.

“We are all responsible for this problem directly or indirectly, and the soldiers are called to clean up the mess. I told them, military, you cannot do this alone.”

Usman added that the menace is fueled by two ingredients— drugs supplied from southern Nigeria and arms supplied from the core-North and neighbouring countries like Niger.

He recalled his visits to the forests alongside Sheikh Gumi and others, saying clerics have a great role to play in resolving the issue.

Usman said: “Turji Kone of the bandit leaders waited for us for two hours. He said he waited because he heard it was a cleric.

“So also we were in Niger State; the meeting in Niger was a meeting of six war commanders from different northern states. They waited for us and you could see the respect they had for clerics.

“The clerics and traditional rulers are there to get to the heart of these kids not soldiers. We must sit down and realise where we have gone wrong.

“From Zamfara we went south down to Ilesha-Baruten, closer to the border with Benin Republic or Kogi State. The further down we went, the more we saw the beautiful Fulani we were used to with sticks.

“Up North, the sticks have been replaced with AK-47 and AK-49; you see kids living on AK-47 and AK-49.

“Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi opens his mouth and they listen, and they have the pictures of Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi. These are the people we need to go through and not the military.

“You can have a million Tucano jets you cannot solve this problem.”

Gumi

On his part, Gumi said; “They (bandits) have been pushed to the wall. Somebody will say they are criminals, but I wonder who is not a criminal.

“When villagers would hear on radio that this governor or accountant has stolen billions, what do you expect him to do? He would steal too.

“My only fear is the infiltration of terrorists into their midst. I think it is something we have to consider very seriously.

“We have to go in and capture them from terror. And even the terrorists themselves, I think there has been some neglect.

“I discussed with a former president who told me that he has been to some areas where you have Boko Haram and that they are ready to lay down their arms with conditions, but the government of that day refused to accept those conditions.

“Up till now, Boko Haram is not a hopeless case. We have to protect our herdsmen from the infiltration of terrorists,” he stated.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/06/one-million-tucano-jets-wont-end-banditry-prof-usman-sheikh-gumi/

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Born2Breed(f): 6:12pm On Jun 02, 2022
Let someone like Wike become a defence minister or president then u will see how bandits will relocate to Niger n Mali.

139 Likes 11 Shares

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by okosodo: 6:23pm On Jun 02, 2022
Because the fulani army will never use it on the bandits

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by richiemcgold: 6:48pm On Jun 02, 2022
prof usman has also joined gumi as advocates of Fulani bandits.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2022
Naija dey cruise level.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2022
Lalasticlala.
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Kingspin(m): 10:56pm On Jun 02, 2022
Rebranding the teachings of Islam will do.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by realstars: 11:23pm On Jun 02, 2022
When bandits kills you keep mute, when we want to flush them you come for their defance and protection. Now that Herders are enjoying millions of naira from crime and you want protection for them to live and kill the innocent citizens, lets kill them all and see if the country will not be in peace.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 7:50am On Jun 03, 2022
realstars:
When bandits kill you keep mute, when we want to flosh them you come for their defance and protection. Now that Herders are enjoying millions of naira from crime and you want protection for them to live and kill the inocentg citizens, lets kill them all and see if the country will not be in peace.
Na Naija we dey.
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by amazingspiderma: 8:01am On Jun 03, 2022
It is so sad how Nigerian Leadership allow this to degenerate because of religion and tribalism.

If Nigeria does not breakup, then regional security will do the trick.

At that point everyone will have to do whatever it takes to bring peace to their region.

Drugs from the south and guns from the north indeed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by legendarystar: 8:34am On Jun 03, 2022
cheesy cheesy
But ministry of herdsmen affairs will.

Oga glumi commot eye for mosque offering
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by helinues: 8:38am On Jun 03, 2022
Because you are probably one of the people sponsoring them.

Sheikh of Bandits

4 Likes

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by talkreal: 9:10am On Jun 03, 2022
[quote author=ogododo post= I pray this terrorism issues come to an end one day.

To whom it may concern:
please, my life has come to a halt, online businesses has finished me. Right now I'm heavily indebted with no hope insight, life have become miserable and unbearable to me. Severally I have contemplated suicide but
when looked at my kids, what could become of them and the shame, I just continue to hang on. Please, if anyone can assist me with a job no matter the type around Warri area and environ please help a brother in need. By the way my field is accounting

Alternative if any can assist me to get fund to start transportation business I will be very happy " 20-04-70-64-23 k-u-d-a God bless you
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 9:23am On Jun 03, 2022
talkreal:
[quote author=ogododo post= I pray this terrorism issues come to an end one day.

To whom it may concern:
please, my life has come to a halt, online businesses has finished me. Right now I'm heavily indebted with no hope insight, life have become miserable and unbearable to me. Severally I have contemplated suicide but
when looked at my kids, what could become of them and the shame, I just continue to hang on. Please, if anyone can assist me with a job no matter the type around Warri area and environ please help a brother in need. By the way my field is accounting

Alternative if any can assist me to get fund to start transportation business I will be very happy " 20-04-70-64-23 k-u-d-a God bless you

No level go Nigercat or Ogunnu, NNPC, Edjaba roads, something must fill body! But dis kuda bank, I know get mind.

1 Like

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by slivertongue: 9:30am On Jun 03, 2022
FG should question this man

1 Like

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ogododo: 9:33am On Jun 03, 2022
slivertongue:
FG should question this man
No be only him, wey IGP helicopters wey dey fly for Kaduna roads?

1 Like

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by AntiBMC(m): 9:34am On Jun 03, 2022
Yes... because they won't use the jets. The 6 Tucanos they bought last year, is somewhere in Zamfara, gathering dust as we speak.

2 Likes

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Searchingvictor: 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2022
Politics everyday
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by lesbiconverter: 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2022
Abeg which university gave him prof and in which course/profession because he's a disgrace to the title? grin

Las Las Bandit apologetics will get the same dark fate as their champions grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Kingpele(m): 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2022
This man is iman of bandits

1 Like

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Sabadon(m): 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2022
Minister of bandits, boko haram, and herdsmen have spoken.......
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Cholls(m): 1:56pm On Jun 03, 2022
amazingspiderma:
It is so sad how Nigerian Leadership allow this to degenerate because of religion and tribalism.

If Nigeria does not breakup, then regional security will do the trick.

At that point everyone will have to do whatever it takes to bring peace to their region.

Drugs from the south and guns from the north indeed.
my brother hmmm

2 Likes

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by ppogba: 1:57pm On Jun 03, 2022
That is the fact as far as people like Gumi, Ango Abdulahi and Baba- Ahmed are still alive.
Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Gadafii: 1:57pm On Jun 03, 2022
Idiot, we don't need 1M tucano.

If the govt want them smoked out like cray fish, just 10 tucanos and 10 gunship is enough to roast their dry bony asssss

But the govt never ready

5 Likes

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by StrongAlphMale: 1:58pm On Jun 03, 2022
Peter Obi: I want to be President because I want to move Nigeria from a consuming nation to a productive nation

Osinbajo: I want to be President to consolidate on the good things this administration has started.

Tinubu: I want to be President because it’s my turn.

The choice is left for you to decide your next president

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by tarantino1: 1:58pm On Jun 03, 2022
Na your people go still suffer the casualty.

Ewu think say na we for south e dey pepper

Afterall when there kill Miyyetti Allah Chairman, Adamu Aliyu, na laugh we laugh the bastard corpse.

The chickens must always come home to roost

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by dreu2fine(m): 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
It would solve banditry if not for politics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by lesbiconverter: 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
Kingpele:
This man is iman of bandits
Professor in banditry

1 Like

Re: One Million Tucano Jets Won’t End Banditry — Prof Usman, Sheikh Gumi by Dukeolumidemans(m): 2:01pm On Jun 03, 2022
So says the Bandit Spokesman...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Confusion In Kogi Over Supreme Court Judgment / Video Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Dancing / PDP To Lai Mohammed: "You Can't Censor The Media, It's Called Freedom Of Speech"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.