Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know (672 Views)

While Hodling Might Be Good For You, You Might Want To Read More On Why / Investing Vs Trading What Is The Difference / Saving Vs Investment Vs Speculation Vs Trading Vs Gambling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by ItrendNaija(m): 12:00pm On Jun 04, 2022
Hodling and trading both have their merits and disadvantages. The best approach depends on you and the level of risk you are willing to expose your funds.

There’s no doubt that you can earn significant profits from cryptocurrencies. There are several success stories of crypto millionaires on the internet to prove that. Yet, the path to making the best profit for a crypto enthusiast or newbie might seem muddled up as they decide which is their best alternative: hodl or trade. 

What is Hodling?
HODL is an acronym for hold on for dear life. It is a long term investment strategy that involves buying and holding on to a crypto asset with the expectation that its price will increase over time.

Pros of Hodling
* Little or no effort: You don’t need skills to hodl.
* Allows for Dollar Cost average: You can spread your investment over time and purchase more of the asset without pressure.
* Less risky and will enable you to save your funds in crypto to avoid Naira’s inflation. 

Cons of Hodling
* You need to conduct extensive research to ensure that the asset you purchase is viable.
* You may miss out on significant gains that come with trading, and at the same time, you are not sure when to take a profit. Hodlers are not always sure of the right time to sell. They may sell too early, and the price skyrockets or they sell late, and the price dips.
* It’s a long term investment which leaves your funds tied up for a long time. You may miss out on other investment opportunities as you don’t have funds at your disposal.
* It requires patience and emotional control to continue hodling an asset with a bearish market.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by ItrendNaija(m): 12:01pm On Jun 04, 2022
What is Trading?
Crypto trading is buying and selling crypto assets within short intervals to earn some profit. Crypto traders buy or sell cryptocurrencies based on their perception of when the price will go up or down. The idea is simple, buy low, sell high.

Prospects of Trading
* You can earn significantly from price fluctuations, providing a source of daily income. 
* You can take on trading as a full-time job, become more active in the crypto space and enjoy the flexibility of being your own boss.

Cons of Trading
* Requires technical skills: You need adequate knowledge of fundamental and technical analysis.
* Time-consuming: You might be hooked to your mobile all day watching the market charts and trends.
* Higher risk: You can record significant losses from trading as you don’t control how the market moves.
* Emotional control: You need to be able to manage your emotions when making trades as prices of cryptocurrencies may fluctuate in a rapid, volatile market. You need to be able to make rational decisions, or you may end up with a significant loss.

1 Like

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by ItrendNaija(m): 12:05pm On Jun 04, 2022
Hodling vs Trading: Which is the better alternative?
Although Hodling and trading have their merits, they also have their cons. A person who hodls has to keep in mind the market’s extreme volatility and be in emotional control during a bearish market. Several people sell off their tokens during a bearish market out of fear which often incurs a loss.
Yet, although people praise trading as the better alternative to getting rich quickly, it also has its pitfalls. Success stories are shared often, but we don’t hear much about the losses. And those experts or gurus online who claim to know how to make money off crypto fast often downplay the losses. 
Indeed, traders do not have to worry much about the utility of a coin like crypto holders as they can quickly enter and exit a market, but at the same time, they could enter and get stuck in a bad trade. In fact, several people have tagged crypto trading as a gamble.  
In the end, the decision to either hodl or trade boils down to how much risk you are willing to take or expose your funds. Trading may be for you if you can tell the market apart and effectively read the market to trade your crypto coins. But if you have no experience with trading, you don’t have to be pressured into trading; you can start with hodling.
Experts recommend that an inexperienced crypto enthusiast begins with Hodling. This will allow you time to understand the market before you start trading. There is also the option to combine strategies by hodling some crypto while trading the rest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by ItrendNaija(m): 12:05pm On Jun 04, 2022
Conclusion
There is no right answer to the best approach for crypto enthusiasts. Hodling and trading both have their merits and disadvantages. The best approach depends on you and the level of risk you are willing to expose your funds. If you are interested in trading, you can take a percentage of your crypto holdings and start with it. As you get more versed in the crypto space, you can increase your trading portfolio.
You can also decide to combine both investment strategies and hodl a certain percentage of both to fit your risk profile.  Regardless of the strategy you take, you must do your own research. Do not be pressured into a trade or investing in a crypto token without adequate research.
As a crypto newbie, you need to proceed cautiously. The decision to either trade or hodl is up to you, and hopefully, these will help you decide which approach is best for you. To get started on your crypto journey, you can buy bitcoin on Yellow Card, which has the best rates and the most advanced security for your crypto tokens for either you decide to hodl or trade bitcoin. 
Happy HODLing or trading!

2 Likes

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Qqqp: 5:40pm On Jun 04, 2022
Hodling make you rich overnight with time might be years but perfecting trading makes you survives on accumulated residuals

Trade binary options using robots

1 Like

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by OladapoF(m): 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2022
Thank you for sharing this insightful article with us. Personally, I prefer using Binance for HODL whilst I derive Joy in using www.Yellowcard.io for buying and trading Cryptocurrencies because of the good rates which I do enjoy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Samken2: 7:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
Qqqp:
Hodling make you rich overnight with time might be years but perfecting trading makes you survives on accumulated residuals

Trade binary options using robots
How can I trade with robot
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Realboygenius(m): 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2022
For some reasons I feel I'm more comfortable with holding. At least I'm getting some interest off my wallet when dollar rises.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Freelancerx: 4:31pm On Jun 05, 2022
This is useful grin
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Mohbola(f): 9:12pm On Jun 05, 2022
So which one is the best?
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Niswayne19: 9:44am On Jun 06, 2022
Mohbola:

I actually do both but it depends on each individual and what they hope to achieve. That is why they always say In cryptocurrency do your own research. That will let you know which is best for you to follow.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by EinsteinAyo(m): 3:20pm On Jun 07, 2022
I have also been using Yellowcard and Luno for a while now. I can say the former is a very good Platform for Crypto Traders and those planning to learn (Beginners).
OladapoF:
Thank you for sharing this insightful article with us. Personally, I prefer using Binance for HODL whilst I derive Joy in using www.Yellowcard.io for buying and trading Cryptocurrencies because of the good rates which I do enjoy.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by EinsteinAyo(m): 3:23pm On Jun 07, 2022
A friend of mine recommended this Yellowcard for me few weeks ago but didn't take him seriously. I think I need to give it a try this week.
EinsteinAyo:
I have also been using Yellowcard and Luno for a while now. I can say the former is a very good Platform for Crypto Traders and those planning to learn (Beginners).

1 Like

Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Realboygenius(m): 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2022
Mohbola:

Both are great
But I personally prefer hodling.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Realboygenius(m): 10:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
EinsteinAyo:
A friend of mine recommended this Yellowcard for me few weeks ago but didn't take him seriously. I think I need to give it a try this week.

You should I started using it also
It doesn't disappoint.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Mohbola(f): 10:46pm On Jun 12, 2022
Niswayne19:

I actually do both but it depends on each individual and what they hope to achieve. That is why they always say In cryptocurrency do your own research. That will let you know which is best for you to follow.
thank you for this
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Mohbola(f): 10:46pm On Jun 12, 2022
Realboygenius:

Both are great
But I personally prefer hodling.
okay then
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Niswayne19: 7:08am On Jun 13, 2022
I always prefer to trade.
Re: Hodling Vs Trading: Everything You Need To Know by Samken2: 11:47am On Jun 13, 2022
How can I mine btc using my phone from Nigeria.
How can I generate a blockchain Bitcoin mining code needed for pooling mining

(1) (Reply)

Play To Earn Nfts Games On Binance / Is Omegapro Legit??? / I'll Buy Your CORE DAO And Pay You Directly In Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.