Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion (19808 Views)

After Meeting With Buhari Tinubu Insist On Sanwo-olu / Buhari, Tinubu, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Osinbajo At APC Caucus Meeting / Obasanjo Names Salisu Buhari, Tinubu And Atiku As Leaders Who Failed Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by SATANICALLY666: 8:03am On Jun 06, 2022
TWO major events dominated the country last week: President Muhammadu Buhari’s request to All Progressives Congress (APC) governors to agree with him in picking his successor in nearly the same manner he allowed them ‘promote’ their successors at the state level, and ex-Lagos State governor and APC national leader Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Abeokuta impassioned speech against the unending plots to frustrate his presidential ambition.

The consequences of both events will reverberate through the party’s special convention to elect the party’s presidential standard-bearer, and possibly ripple through next year’s general election. Even though adversarial media, not to say the feral social media, made the Tinubu speech the main event of last week, it actually pales in comparison with the request by the president, subject to the convergence and reciprocal support of the so-called progressive governors, to agree with him in picking his successor. In short, he wants consensus; but consensus driven by whom, and openly or conspiratorially covertly? Asiwaju Tinubu’s angry denunciation of his traducers within and outside the party has no bearing on the 1999 Constitution and the APC Constitution. But President Buhari’s peculiar approach to picking his successor, if carried through, could cause a tectonic shift in both constitutions akin to the counterproductive imposition orchestrated by ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo in 2007.

It is unclear where the progressive governors got the impression that the president’s plaintive plea for reciprocity in picking his successor involved their active participation, but no sooner he met them than they began scheduling meetings to determine who that pick would be. It was presumptuous and irresponsible on their part and showed their poor understanding of the APC constitution and their lack of character. But presidential spokesman Femi Adesina’s clarification that the president did not invite them into the process but in fact asked them only to connive at it should help restrain their fertile imagination. The president was clear that when the governors acted like potentates in scheming their second term or promoting their successors, he was nothing but an onlooker. In effect, he simply wants them to play the same role of onlookers, perhaps giving an advice or two, but really nothing more. It was of course wrong for the president to have connived at the governors’ shenanigans in the states, for it was obvious that his reluctance to interfere was not based on ethical or constitutional considerations but on an intriguing interpretation of the doctrine of separation of powers. However, having let the governors played ducks at the states, he wants to be allowed to also play drakes at the national party level. Most of the governors, from every indication, appear ready to let him do whatever he wants. Even if they know what is right, and this goes beyond the constitution and the laws of the land, they lack the courage and the character to restrain him. He is after all the president.

In his speech to the governors last Tuesday during the consultative meeting, the president said a few things that showed the uncertainty of his thoughts or the imprecision of his speechwriters, or both. In paragraph four, he spoke of great parties being internally cohesive and led by strong leaders. This is incredible. Could these globally acclaimed parties flout their constitutions and turn them into a den of unjust and cruel manipulators and still remain great? Internal cohesion can only be built on justice, fairness and equity. The APC since 2015 has exemplified conspiracy, dissension and ruthless and restless scheming. And as for strong leadership, it must of course be presumed that the leaders in question possess the depth, intuition and character needed to firmly guide their parties. Is President Buhari convinced that the APC is similarly led? The president not only spoke entrancingly of strong leadership, in paragraph five, he also eulogises ‘stronger leadership’ which he swore ready to provide. Strong or stronger leadership must be based on the right values, his speechwriters should have warned him.

In paragraph seven, the president spoke of ‘according the governors the privilege of promoting successors capable of driving their visions as well as the ideals of the party’. Mark the word ‘promoting’. He was at least honest enough to admit that the governors in question promoted successors, not pick, as he went on to advocate in paragraph 10 when he solicited the “reciprocity and support of the governors and other stakeholders in picking my successor…” The governors promoted, he wants to pick. Or perhaps the president used pick and election interchangeably. In any case, paragraph 10 cannot be read separate from paragraph seven in order to understand the president’s intention.

Whoever advised the president to urge the picking of his successor almost as a counterpoise to the governors’ promotion of their successors has done him and the APC injury that may not be easily remedied. Picking a successor in the way he meant it in his speech is unconstitutional and unlawful. He said, however, that he was still consulting, when he appeared to have in fact made up his mind. He made it up months ago when he told reporters he would keep his choice secret lest his preference be destroyed before the D-Day. The fateful day has come, and a week before the convention, he has tried to soften the ground by ‘soliciting’ the cooperation of governors and stakeholders. He was right to keep his preference like a card played close to his chest, in case it turned out that the governors and stakeholders preferred someone else, especially in light of the choice the aggressive, better organised and surprisingly more democratic PDP made during their special convention. The PDP has put their best foot forward, despite it being somewhat gangrenous; the APC will imperil itself should it put a weak, faltering and leprous foot forward.

While the president is contending with his own unforced errors, Asiwaju Tinubu exploded a depth bomb under the APC dreadnought in Abeokuta when he railed against the serial plots of the party to sideline him. His enemies and opponents have gratefully seized the opportunity of his quaint and provocative use of words to chafe at his assumptions and conclusions: he is playing God; he is full of bombast; he is at bottom a dictator; he is a narcissist; he is tribal; he is rude to President Buhari, etc. Asiwaju Tinubu has come to the conclusion that those plotting against him, including a significant number of south-westerners who lack strategic and holistic understanding of Nigerian politics, will always damn him whether he blows his top or not. He also understands that since 2015, many in the administration and the ruling party have made it their cardinal duty to diminish him and if possible politically neutralise him completely. They see him as a man who can call his soul his own, when their ideal of a president is someone who genuflects. His friend and campaign director-general, ex-governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State, is mystified by the poor thinking sweeping through the Southwest and the mindless conspiracy wafting through the ruling party and the administration. Mr Shettima knows that Asiwaju Tinubu is the APC’s most credible chance to PDP candidate Atiku Abubakar; but the party seems blissfully desensitised to that fact, while vociferous and scurrilous south-westerners don’t seem to care that their vicious campaign against the former Lagos governor is indirectly enabling a monster or a weakling to take office in 2023.

This column had wondered how Asiwaju Tinubu, after his immense sacrifice for the political advancement of the president and the APC, could stomach all the abuse and plots in the party and among the so-called cabals against him and his ambition. For seven years he had endured the trauma, including when he was not even running for office in 2019. It is, therefore, finally reassuring that he is human after all. He has tried to walk back some of the things he said in Abeokuta, including suggesting that his nuanced statements were misinterpreted or twisted. Yes, that may be true, but his opponents have made up their minds about what he said. Notwithstanding, all he had to say probably indicate how frustrated he had become after virtually giving his life to serve the party, not to say his mentees most of whom have proved absolutely undeserving, that he is still being relentlessly vilified. Asiwaju Tinubu owes the country an explanation of how he feels being shabbily treated. He should ignore the pestilential chatter on social media and the bought traditional media. There is hardly anyone but he who could have tolerated for so long the kind of abuse he was subjected to by his party and friends, including being made to be screened by a former party chairman with whom he had fallen out, and not ask for more than a pound of flesh.

The APC presidential primary begins tomorrow, and someone must emerge as candidate. The president and the governors will hopefully allow an unencumbered democratic process to prevail. But whatever they do – whether they opt for the twisted consensus some attribute to them or embrace something noble – will determine their party’s survival or implosion. They will be mistaken to think they can use state power to foist a weak candidate on the country in the face of a hungry and determined PDP. As for Asiwaju Tinubu, he has proved himself. His cathartic outburst in Abeokuta does not, strangely, condemn him; it canonises him. He is not perfect, and there are indeed justifications for some of the criticisms leveled against him; but there is no presidential aspirant in his party at the moment – not the cautious and ingratiating Sen Ahmad Lawan and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo nor the doting and impressionable Rotimi Amaechi and Kayode Fayemi – who can hold a candle to him.

https://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-tinubu-and-succession-snafu/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Khoielvis: 8:04am On Jun 06, 2022
You were served notice in 2014 but you didn't listen.

I hope you know how it feels now to be betrayed. You popularized the concept of betrayal without remorse and know your me tees have adopted the teachings you thought them.

From your leuitenants to your professors, all loyalty is gone except for your foot soldiers in the street or social media.

Hope you now know how GEJ felt in the midst of your whole smears, scandalization and blackmails. How Funsho Williams felt. And so many others you trampled beneath your feet. Now, the last step that is left for you to ascend on in life that will be your masterstroke is being used as a torture tool over you.

Braceup. This is an indelible experience both yourself and your followers will continue to recall for the next 100 years. Next time, practice true goodness.

To all you SWners hyping the PYO mantra, may you experience deep bitter betrayal

As for me, I call upon all youths of this generation to listen to this clarion call. ohaneze communicate it to the youths of the SE, same thing to the South-South. Same thing with the Oodua nation. If 2023 isn't about southern candidacy, declare no elections in 2023. Here is the stretegic blueprint

No transport operators must operate throughout the election period

None of your children must accept VP candidature

No northern candidates must be allowed to campaign throughout the South

None of your children should participate as an electioning official

Nigeria has failed. Let's make them know they've messed up with the wrong generation. Let's turn it to end SARS for them

Broadcast this message on all your social media platforms and let's keep broadcasting it till it occupies the entire social media space. Any president from any bloc from the south is okay, no southern candidacy, no 2023 election. Simple. The mandate and objective is as clear as crystal

Anything short of southern candidacy is slavery. Southern Nigerians, wakeup. No 2023 elections. Begin to spread this message till it trends. We only need a few ten thousands to make this noise and it will become a trend.

No northern rulership 2023. There will be no elections

Southern youths wake up and put up the battle spirit. I Simeon, the son of my father and the son of the Most High, by the spirit of the Almighty declare it today 2023 elections will not hold. I will use myself as the tool to get this to become a reality. Everybody take it to all road parks and transport parks, tell all transport operators and all market unions in the south, 2023, no southern candidacy,no elections. Anybody from the south is okay. No one from the North is acceptable.

Nigerian police, Nigerian army, Nigerian DSS and other secret services, I'm not hard to find. I don put my name. I'm on the island in Lagos and I'm not hiding my face.I prefer to sleep in prison a freeborn, than a submissive slave. You are all mad in the north all of you. I curse you all IJN

God punish the ideology of slavery. I reject continuous slavery from my life. Youths wake up

SW there should be no operational polling units

SE I trust you. No voting throughout Biafra

SS, no voting booths too

The constitution mandates 2/3 wins in all parts of the federation, when this becomes good, there will be no elections.

Copy and broadcast this message across all your social media handles. There must be no elections come 2023. If they think they canspin the game, we will show them we can also spin it.

I prefer a dangerous freedom than a peaceful servitude. Southern Nigeria, wake up

I am putting my.money where my.mouth is.

We must begun to populate the idea and recruit social media influencers.

I am going to raise and drop 50 Million Naira for a social media tank team to begin the process of massively campaigning that no elections must hold next year if we don't have southern candidates. Start contacting me

37 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Hezzyluv: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2022
Tilumbu eyes don see shege for this time. cheesy

If he happens to be the flag bearer afterwards, which I doubt, and eventually become the president. His work would be to deal with those people that frustrated him hitherto. Because, he said it's his turn to become the president.

We've heard him said how he made Buhari
how he made Osibanjo
how he made Fashola
how he made and made

I just hope, he wouldn't say he's the maker of heaven and Earth undecided

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by DriverX: 8:07am On Jun 06, 2022
All this grammar to make an ancestor president?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by fulaniHERDSman(m): 8:07am On Jun 06, 2022
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Truthisunique2: 8:09am On Jun 06, 2022
Lol

Una must do una worst o, I am tired of Nairaland rants

6 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by PlayMaker14: 8:09am On Jun 06, 2022
To some Nairaland irredeemable moroniic fellows, the urinating machine called Tinubu is being treated harshly but they forgot so quickly what the Iragbiji born cocaine lover did to Akinwunmi Ambode and Goodluck Jonathan....

What is good for the goose is definitely good for the gander.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by APCnaPDP: 8:09am On Jun 06, 2022
I can see loud wailing from the south especially the SW after APC primaries. The tears that will flow on nairaland can fill 20 buckets.
Anyway, Lawan for the ticket, North 2023 at worst, Amechi can have it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by SarkinYarki: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2022
Buhari the ping pong champ

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Joezinho: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2022
Personally, I think Tinubu would have probably become the next president if he had allowed Ambode to remain Lagos governor, had spoken out and condemned the spate of insecurities in the country, supported amotekun, allowed most of his followers to get some certain key positions in government and if he had spoken out when Sunday Igboho was arrested...

Jagaban is a great strategist but he always act like he's a fulani slave. Those bastards are running riot in his region and he keeps mum because he doesn't want to get them upset..

Ffs, you are an omoluabi!!!! Stop acting like a fvcking slave!!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by PrinceOfLagos: 8:11am On Jun 06, 2022
Hehehehehehe

Indispensable85 gbagura grin cheesy

Do you guys know better than Tinubu?

Una go just dey beat empty chest up and down like you know Buhari mind

Una go see mehmeh cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 06, 2022
Good and balanced piece. Captures events perfectly.
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Reality3080: 8:11am On Jun 06, 2022
APCnaPDP:
I can see loud wailing from the south especially the SW after APC primaries. The tears that will flow on nairaland can fill 20 buckets.
Anyway, Lawan for the ticket, North 2023 at worst, Amechi can have it.
emeka no tears will flow

If tinubu is denied d ticket he will team up with atiku n that’s automatic win for atiku n he will cut a large stake with him then he will chase apc n peter obi into d dungeon

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Tissaia(f): 8:11am On Jun 06, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Truthisunique2: 8:12am On Jun 06, 2022
grin

Tilumbu newspaper crying as usual with lengthy tears

Do they really believe buhari even reads tinubu newspaper to begin with?

Most of the governors, from every indication, appear ready to let him do whatever he wants. Even if they know what is right, and this goes beyond the constitution and the laws of the land, they lack the courage and the character to restrain him. He is after all the president.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by FalseProphet1(m): 8:15am On Jun 06, 2022
Buhari will never choose tinubu to succeed him.

This I have seen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Offpoint1: 8:15am On Jun 06, 2022
angry
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Petersamuel8(m): 8:15am On Jun 06, 2022
anybody but Tinibu is a welcome development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by ThinkSmarter: 8:15am On Jun 06, 2022
Anything devoid of Democratic process is an imposition.
And an idea of a consensus candidate, especially when the candidate is not an incumbent is not a good idea.
Especially when a popular aspirant is not the one tipped to be the consensus candidate.
They should give all candidates a fair playground to participate in the primary.
And in so doing, the most popular candidate will emerge and it will go a long way in consolidating the party's unity and enable them to win elections.
Cuz a divided house can't stand.
I have conditioned my mind to accept whoever that emerges at the end of the day.
And at the end, the Nigerian people will decide who to vote among Atiku, Obi, Kwankaso and whoever that APC will elect.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Sabadon(m): 8:16am On Jun 06, 2022
Well........

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by ArmaniUhuru: 8:16am On Jun 06, 2022
Presidential primaries wey political parties dey do sharp sharp. E reach Apc turn, them turn am to cruise. cheesy cheesy

Na when them no give tinubu ticket nai we go know if na buhari be the President or na jubril. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:16am On Jun 06, 2022
No confusion
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by WonderManly(m): 8:17am On Jun 06, 2022
See them now oooo...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by melonsgroup: 8:17am On Jun 06, 2022
Tomorrow by God's special grace, I will get my PVC. I don't mind sleeping in INEC office
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Mumusaphire: 8:17am On Jun 06, 2022
K
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by Honourable1901(m): 8:17am On Jun 06, 2022
Re: Buhari, Tinubu And Succession Confussion by skywalker240(m): 8:17am On Jun 06, 2022
Frog and Cluelessness

What a combo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News-nassarawa Inpeachment:3 People Killed In Violent Protest In Lafia / Lai Muhammed Commissioned Irrigation And Water Projects Not A Borehole / APC In Solidarity Rally For Police In Rivers, Demands Probe Of Leaked Wike Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.