Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,127 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God (2574 Views)

Oceanic Bank Test! / Oceanic Bank Update / Oceanic Bank: If You Applied Before August 21st Please Re-apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by pajay3: 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2007
MY DEAR PEOPLE,UNA NO GO BELIEVE WETIN I WANT TELL UNA.IT GOES LIKE THIS: A FRIEND OF MINE WROTE OCEANIC  FIRST AND SECOND TEST AND WAS SUCEESFULL.WENT IN FOR INTERVIEW AND WAS LUCKY TOO, HE MADE IT.MEANHWILE ON THE DAY OF THE INTERVIEW HE BROUGHT  HIS CREDENTIALS AND THE PANELLIST SAW IT AND NEVER SAID ANYTHING CONCERNING HIS ENGLISH LANGUAGE COS HE HAD P7 IN . SO MY PEOPLE , SOME FEW MONTHS LATER, HE WAS CALLED ON TUESDAY AND WAS TOLD THAT HE WAS TO RESUME WORK ON FRIDAY OF THE SAME WEEK. THE FOWOLLING DAY, MY GUY HAD TO QUIT HIS FORMAL JOB. HE WAS HAPPY THAT HE HAS FINALLY GOTTEN A NEW JOB WITH OCEANIC ONLY FOR HIM TO GO AND MEET THE HIGHEST SHOCK OF HIS LIFE. HE WAS TOLD THAT THEY CAN NOT EMPOLY HIM B/C HE HAD P7 IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE.IMAGIN THAT.THEY HAD TO WITHDREW THE LETTER THAT WAS GIVEN TO HIM INCLUDING THE EMPLOYMENT FORMS THAT WAS ALSO GIVEN TO HIM. WHAT A BIG BLOW.WHAT A SHAME .IF I SHOULD QOUTE WHAT THEY SAID IN THEIR SITE:" Do you meet the following recruitment criteria?
  •  Have you successfully completed your first degree in a reputable higher institution within or      outside Nigeria with a minimum of a second class degree or HND upper credit?

•  Have you completed your NYSC programme or have an exemption certificate?

•  Are you a Nigerian or have the necessary work permit, if otherwise?

Then these qualify you to write our aptitude test (where applicable) and attend a series of interviews. However, if you have up to two years professional banking experience, you may be exempted from writing the aptitude test.

If you are successful at all levels of our recruitment process, you will be contacted as soon as there are suitable openings.

Still interested in joining our esteemed organization? Then apply now

AM SURPRISED.PLEASE YOU PEOPLE SHOULD HELP COS THE GUY IS ABOUT RUNNIG MAD
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by realwale: 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2007
that is veru disheartning, but i just finished my medicals at oceanic too, after ten months of waiting for the test result .i had d interview on thursday and did the medical today but i actually wrote the test in october. tell him to take heart,god will perform his miracle,amen
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by robo1: 5:23pm On Aug 10, 2007
it is indeed evil and a bad act.i will advise him to go to the public defender and take up the case against them i believe it will help.cos a frend of mine was sacked without pay and she got judgement through that process.he was not told so he has a case. he should give it a try and pray .i beleive there is nothing impossible with god. they were being used by the devil.but god will fight for him.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by debosky(m): 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2007
that is really a sad story, my friend in UBA is facing a similar dilemma

he's been employed there for over a year now, but they are refusing to confirm his appointment because he got a D in English (Cambridge examination) which is equivalent to a C6, the people are now telling him to go and get his Cambridge assessed by Min of Education so they can tell UBA whether it is truly equivalent to a C6 or not, and the ministry people say they cannot write to UBA since its not an educational institution! See wahala!

they say its their 'bank policy' so why not tell the candidate at the point of interview that this grade is not acceptable?
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by Ayelaagbe(f): 6:15pm On Aug 10, 2007
This is a very BIG SLAP on the face of Nigerian youths generally! Even though you may be wrong for not having your grade in English Language but then two wrongs they say can never make a right.
Do we call this an oversight? Or what a useless recruitment panel which couldn't see that the guy had D7 in English scaling through all the hurdles only to be shown the door when the guy had already resigned his former appointment.
well, to me I stay in Abuja and am aware of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) which is a means of resolving this kind of injustice. I don't know of any other place anyway.
If you have copies of all the documents given to you (which I expect), get in touch with any human right activist.
To all brethren, this is an injustice of the highest order and I believe an injustice to one is an injustice to all. Aluta continua, victoria aluta [/color]
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by adrianic: 6:20pm On Aug 10, 2007
this is indeed disgraceful.its a big shame.i will advice your friend to take up the option of the public defender.nonsense like this happens because nigerians have not learnt how to hit employers real hard.if ur guy is smart,he could get damages dt would be enough to help him even start up his own business.at least the courts have woken up to their responsibilities.oceanic bank,if this is how they experience peace,then let me always be at war.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by oisrael(m): 9:31pm On Aug 10, 2007
What sort of RUBBISH is that? angry ! I say it is capital RUBBISH. Look! your friend must not let it all rest like that O! I hope he still has some documents to prove he was initially employed cos you say they withdrew some documents. There must be some big compensation and apology if not a retrace of their steps by Oceanic angry He should fight it legally to the very last as the error came from them angry.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by ayzone: 12:39am On Aug 11, 2007
wot a horrible xperience! actually i had similar case with 1 of their recruiting firms(OSIL)somewia in Itire road in ojuelegba somtime last year.I passd both the test and interview,i even did the medical n police reports just 4 me to start working soonest.Till date they keep telling 2 come 2morrow. Can u see wot Nigerian graduates are pasing 2ru in the hands of this heartless employers. angry
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by odada(m): 2:09am On Aug 12, 2007
Lets be quite frank here,as much as oceanic bnk has done the fella a great deal of injustice isnt it quite strange that he actually presented a certificate of D7 in english lang.?i mean how did he get admitted into a higher institution in the first place with that grade?--knowing fully well that post-secondary schools make it a policy for atleast 'C6' during admission with maths&english being compulsory unless someone aint telling the truth i think its quite clear whos actually being disgraced lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I am entitled to my opinion on the subject matter ofcourse!
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by DisGuy: 2:21am On Aug 12, 2007
SAID ANYTHING CONCERNING HIS ENGLISH LANGUAGE COS HE HAD P7 IN
the poster wrote P7

na wa o
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by dthing1(f): 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2007
free legal advise here -
the issue at hand is not how he got to be admitted into the university with that grade, you do not even know the course he studied or when he graduated cause i can tell you that once upon a time, a p7 was sufficient to gain admission for certain courses ,

back to the issue at hand, the guy should first try to get another job and while doing that should contact a lawyer to help him sue the bank for damages for breach of contract. the court cannot force an employee on an unwilling employer, neither can it change an employer's criteria for employment.

what the court can do is to grant -
1. damages for loss of gainlful employment due to brach of contract
2. damages for breach of contract
3. cost of the litigation

i hope he has all the documents required to prove his claims.

best of luck and act timeously
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by Doovy: 4:46pm On Aug 12, 2007
I really undertand hoe that guy must feel cos I've been there.They should have rejected him vbased on that during the interview but the went ahead to give him his medicals letter and made him believed he had gotten the job.Diamond bank specifies so if a credit in Eng. and Maths is a criteria Oceanic shld also specify.Meanwhile,his O,levels was able to get him admited to the university and study.Please tell him I said he should not dismay but find out if GCE registeration is still on .If yes,let him register,pass the exams and call them after that.HR has a heart.They'd understand.I hope to see him in Oceanic.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by awa(m): 9:20am On Aug 13, 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I find it quite difficult to understand why a firm like Oceanic Bank would treat a potential Employee in that manner. I must admit that it is the highest form of injustice I have heard of in the recent past with respect to recruitment process. While not joining issues with other "Landers" that querry possibilities of gaining admission in the University with P7 ( Pass) in English, I think we should rather understand the dangers portray by this urgly incident. I will advise the guy involved to take up the issue via the help of Public Lawyers or ADR to pursue his case. Oceanic Bank has to pay for their inability to have realised that the guy had a pass in English. Meanwhile, I believe the Almighty God that we serve will certainly fight for you for the battle of His. Relax and never be disturbed for justice must take it's course. Injustice to one is injustice to all !!!! After all is said, the multi-million question is who, among us without earthly godfathers, is the next?
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by usoamaka(f): 11:24am On Aug 13, 2007
this is really dishartening pls talk to ur friend tell him to take heart u cnt tell every disappointment is a blessing God might be using this is as a means to tell him sometin or bring sometin beta his way but then oceanic bank wld have specified or even stopped is recruitment @ d 1st interview i pray sth beta comes ur way soon.Amen
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by noblesam(m): 2:29pm On Aug 13, 2007
This act is tantamount to Murder, wowwww! shocked
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by DisGuy: 6:50pm On Aug 13, 2007
noblesam:

This act is tantamount to Murder, wowwww! shocked

true! I think he should try to get in touch with the HR manager and the overall manager, if you can get admitted to university,meet the person specification on their vcancy post and pass the interview i dont know what else they want
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by fragrance: 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2007
what rubbish comments av been hearing,OBI has done the best ever cos if d guy has not been rejected now he will not be confirmed later and what is d essence of working for close to two years without being confirmed and later rejected.OBI has helped d guy and saved him from future pains.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by DisGuy: 9:24pm On Aug 13, 2007
and who is OBI? why wasn't he rejected when he made the application? and passed the screening he has a degree and met all of the requirement advetised
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by Oluchia(f): 11:51am On Aug 14, 2007
fragrance:

what rubbish comments av been hearing,OBI has done the best ever because if d guy has not been rejected now he will not be confirmed later and what is d essence of working for close to two years without being confirmed and later rejected.OBI has helped d guy and saved him from future pains.
Really? I don't blame u. U can sit down there and call people's comment rubbish because you are not in the Guy's shoe. Let's call a spade a spade, Oceanic bank was WRONG. They have their criteria for recruitment, they went ahead and shortlisted this guy for a test knowing fully well that he had a Pass in English, Ok Let us assume there was an oversight then, they still went ahead and called him for an interview after passing the test, still they didn't realize that he had a pass in English. As if that wasn't enough, he was given an employment letter. There HR must be a big Joke! Infact, I don't think the problem was with the Grade, I'm sure something else is at play here and they just used this to lay off the guy.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by solatunde: 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ pa-jay,
This is a big disgrace to the big organisation in the name of Oceanic Bank, your friend should not be made to pay for the panelists' mistake or oversight.
I will not advice your freind to take up the job because after like 6-12 months of employment he might be shown the way out for all you care. As others have commented he should seek legal counsel and be compensated meaningfully. In the meantime, he should start looking for another job because as the saying goes, every disappointment is a blessing in disguise.
I will end by giving you this short story: a guy just resumed in a bank and the bank was robbed on the same day he resumed, lo and behold, he was the only person shot dead in the robbery, you will agree with me that it would have been better if he was not offered the employment. Let your friend take heart, the God Lord will fight for him, he will have cause to rejoice again
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by zenom: 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2007
This is very ridiculous, my guy SUEEE!!!! with all your heart.

They cost you your Job.
They should have looked through your result very well before giving you a letter of employement.
Its so not fair, how could they
There should be some brilliant attorney on this forum, please give this chap advice on how to go about it
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by bimlarry(f): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2007
The situation here is really pathetic but i think the guy in question needs to be really prayerful looking at this from every angle,after the first and second interview then the employment letter and the next thing is no job.pls let him go to his closet and seek God's favour.peace
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by obyann(f): 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2007
Too bad! But dont worry my dear, leave vengeance for God.
Take everything to him (God) in prayer.
He (God) is going to compensate you.
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by Benjamin01: 7:21pm On Aug 14, 2007
Please, be careful what you have to say about oceanic Bank.

My brother, this incident is not the end of life.

There is always a brighter light at the end of every dark tunnel.

I love u and i want u to keep trying and please, keep ur hopes alive and active.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Oceanic Bank Is A Very Big Disgrace To Man And God by makalia(f): 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2007
Thats not fair at all. am having goose pimples about applyiong 4 a bank job.

(1) (Reply)

Uni Ilorin Recruit / Consolidated Breweries Management Trainee 2012 APT Result Released? / EXPERIENCED Nursery & Primary School Teachers in AMUWO-ODOFIN L.G.A LAGOS Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.