Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

How To Teach Your Dog To Turn Down Food From Strangers - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Teach Your Dog To Turn Down Food From Strangers (320 Views)

How Do I Make This Dog To Know Me & Not Attack Me? (Photo) / How Do I Make My Dog To Be Aggressive? Please Help. / Would You Allow Your Dog To Kill A Thief/Robber In Your Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Teach Your Dog To Turn Down Food From Strangers by Aremukareem: 12:00am On Jun 09, 2022
It is advisable to wait until the puppy reaches puberty. A young puppy must learn fundamental orders and realise that you are the pack leader before moving on to more advanced training such as this. It can take weeks of regular practise to perfect the training. This lesson can also be taught to older dogs; just remember to be patient while working with your dog. You should also think about how broad of a range of avoidance you want to seek.

Teaching a dog to refrain from doing what it typically does, is usually a straightforward process. Create a suitable situation and correct the dog at the precise moment the foul deed is committed. Repeat the exercise as needed until it becomes clear that the dog does not understand the message, at which point you should restructure the process and try.

"Leave it" Command
Using the "leave it" command, certain dogs can be easily trained to refuse food from strangers.

1. Place a goodie in your right hand and let the dog sniff it before telling him to "leave it" and closing your hands.

2. Some dogs will sit and bark for the treat, while others will try to take the treat from your hand and stare at it. When the dog's attention is no longer drawn to your hand, praise him and give him a treat from your left hand.

Learn More https://resourcesmadeeasy.xyz/2022/06/08/turn-down-food-from-strangers/

(1) (Reply)

ZEROKRIM CH Deworming Tablet Is Available / Nature's Protection Dry Food Is Available / I Need A 5 To 6months Old Female Lahsa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.