Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Jazz Growth in Nigeria - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jazz Growth in Nigeria (3554 Views)

Old Skool Jazz Album / Ditweni---------jazz Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jazz Growth in Nigeria by jazzgrowth(m): 5:21pm On Jul 04, 2005
I am a new member to the site, I found the site when I was trying to get some information on Kunle Ajayi. I was impressed to realize that "smooth Jazz" is growing steadily in Nigeria. I am a big lover of "smooth jazz" and I would like to see this music genre grow in Nigeria.

One major set back is the acquisition of jazz materials (CDs, DVDs, text). This problem could be minimized, thanks to the ultimate power of the internet. It take only a few clicks and you are in a world of music like never before. The Internet has opened me to smooth jazz stars such as Dave Koz, Peter White, Marc antione, Rick braun, Alexander zonjic (My favorite man) etc. I buy my jazz cds online from bmgmusic.com and columbiahouse.com.

I am fortunate to reside in the United States which makes buying such materials easy. But it costs nothing to stream "smooth jazz or Easy jazz" online. Yahoo.com provides that option: when you click on the radio link, go to 'jazz', and click 'smooth jazz', and relax while you savor the great music.

I have used "smooth" to describe the jazz style and that is because jazz comes in different styles, and smooth jazz is more accessible to me. Traditional jazz is very technical which makes it hard for a new convert to understand, that is why I recommend smooth jazz. So join me and lets make jazz alive in Nigeria.

Jazz Growth USA. grin
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2005
Welcome to nairaland jazz growth,
Guess we have a passion for the same thing..jazz wink

Smooth jazz is really cool and there are a lot of Nigerian artistes that play smooth jazz and are doing quite well it.
Ever heard of Bright Gain or T-mac (Although they play more of traditional/swing jazz)? They are virtuosos!!

Yinka Davies also has a nice blend of jazz with an African approach.

I have never had problems getting my jazz CD's or Mags in Nigeria. "Jazz Standard" at Allen Avenue for instance is a good resource for all kinds of styles in jazz. New Media in Surulere has an abundant supply of books on jazz and learning how to play instruments.

I'd also like to add that I play an instrument - the electric bass- and I love grooving jazz.

To me jazz is like a painting....can only be understood by jazz pundits....people with "mature minds" so they say and an excellent genre of music to realx and do critical thinking.

Peace
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by diakim(m): 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2005
Yeah, Smooth Jazz is it.

I can't get enough of Dave Koz, Groover Washington, Marc Atoinie, Earl Klugh and a host of others. As soon as I starts my system first thing in the morning in my office, I start my Yahoo! Messenger which automatically starts Launcast Music and play my station, which is Smooth Jazz. It is a cool way to start a day, by listening to Jazz. A day will not pass without my listening to Yanni, the original Jazz Master.

Jazz Holes at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, has a lot of Jazz audio CDs and other materials. A visit there will convince you that Jazz has finally arrive in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by jazzgrowth(m): 12:15am On Jul 06, 2005
Wow, I was surprised to find out that I got replies to my topic. It is nice to know that people in Nairaland appreciate jazz music. It is important to not that "smooth jazz" is a watered down form of jazz as the PURISTS would say, but it has the largest market appeal (thats how kenny G got rich). I have a large collection of Yanni Cd's, and I must say that he is amazing, but he is classified as a NEW AGE artist due to the symphonic influences on his tracks. A guy who is giving him a run for his money is DAVID LANZ. David's album "the good life" is a killer. David Benoit (another smooth jazz artist) is one of the hottest pianist in the jazz genre.
I stayed in several cities in Nigeria, and listened to the stations there, and jazz was played approximately for an hour a week. If jazz Cd's are easily available and affordable, I would advocate that this genre be given more air time as it is a soothing form of music, it is essential for introspect and retrospect, and it is very artistic in nature, I mean very very artistic.
I have listened to kunle ajayi's music, and I think he is extraordinary, maybe some improvements on the production quality. Mike aremu is also a killer. I have listened to HIGHLIFE and I think it reminiscent of the early 60's new Orleans jazz.
Why the interest in jazz? Well, I am studying it as a course in Louisiana State University, and I would love to see its growth on a wide scale in Nigeria.
Feel free to enlighten me with what is going on in this field in Nigeria and the way forward.

peace
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 06, 2005
I agree with you that more time should be given to air jazz on the radio. It was actually cos of this problem that i got myself a digital world space receiver and listen to "Riff". 24Hrs of just jazz!!
My room mates in school got tired of me. Well, then it was free but now u have to pay a lil subscription to enjoy the channel.

I have a question? Where did jazz really originate from? Was it really from Africa?
If it was, why are we finding it difficult to embrace ?
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by jazzgrowth(m): 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2005
Nice question sopescott. The argument about the origin of jazz will linger on for a long time. But the first documented jazz form is the ragtime or dixieland jazz, and this was first heard on the streets of New Orleans in Louisiana USA.
But Pre jazz time has shown to evolve from the slaves who worked on the farm lands. As we know the slaves were from Africa, predominantly west Africa. Their drumming, echoing, hand clapping and call and response pattern was syncopative in nature (the backbone of jazz is syncopation). Therefore it can be said that the elements of jazz originated from the African slaves. Ragtime was stereotyped as "black" music, because of its origin.
Why i think it is hard for Africans to embrace jazz music is because jazz has evolved and evolved and evolved. It has evolved so much, that it is no longer recognizable to the originators, which is true for any art form. Well, this evolution of jazz music, is it go or bad? that is up for debate. And also we must note that the influences of western music on us has played a big part in lessening jazz appreciation in West Africa.
But elements of jazz can still be seen in the church setting especially hand clapping and the call and response, when the LEAD sings a line and the crowd responds.

With more Air time i think jazz will kick back into the system. And i can tell you, it is a nice industry to invest in.

well if anyone has questions or comments i would love to entertain them. let's sharpen ourselves

peace
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 07, 2005
That was very insightful jazz growth. Its true jazz has really evolved over the years..and boy am I glad to hear that we(Africans) started it.

About this evolution being good or bad, I'd say its GOOD!! I can't imagine what it would be like listening to dixieland or ragtime jazz the way it was played in New Orleans now. I'd run mad! Jazz had to evolve and will continue to change to make it more interesting and of course pleasing to the ears.

I once heard that oyinbos stole our jazz and made it sound better. NOw we are struggling to be like them...
Ironically, the best jazz musicians I've ever listened to are African Americans. Ever heard of "
The Jazz Messengers"? They are really tight...the solo improvisation of all the band members get me giggling and clapping to myself.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by BigSis(f): 11:32pm On Aug 17, 2006
Delete
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by BigSis(f): 11:38pm On Aug 17, 2006
Jazz is a creation of people of African descent in the US.  It began in New Orleans and spread across the globe.  Jazz is African American gift to the world.  The only original American music.

Everything is simply an imitation.  Please tell what part of the African country originated jazz. By the way, the word jazz is believed to have come from the BaKongo word "jizz", which to expell ones semen.  It also had the same meaning in New Orleans.  New Orleans had ever possible ethnic Africans, primarily in large numbers the the folks from the Congo and Angola.  

The percusor to jazz is Ragtime(father of Ragtime is Scott Joplin).  Jazz would have never developed on the African continent. How could it possibly do so?  Black Americans are an amalgamation of many people.  You bring all of those elments together, living in an harsh an oppressive environment, and being naturally gifted, you get Jazz.  That is what makes us so wonderful gifted as people.  Do y'all know that jazz was originally a dancing music.

So y'all stop trying steal our music.   kiss  Africans in America are the orginators of Jazz, just like all other popular forms of music, i.e. rock-n-roll, the Blues, Ragtime, soul, gospel, funk, rythmn & blues, rap, etc.

I have no problem with y'all imitating us.  Imitation is the best kind of flattery, but to claim it as your creation is so silly.

JazzGrowth,

Smooth Jazz is not jazz. It is pop music. It like eating a hot dog vs. a steak. I suggest people start with the original jazz. The original jazz is happy, dancing music.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by GHill: 8:31pm On Mar 25, 2008
Put in your request for Jazz Artist you'll love to see, am just curious who you'll like to see.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2009
I thought I'd bring this post back to the forefront. Surely, there must be some addenda to be made.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by GHill: 11:05pm On Nov 23, 2009
Nice cool. Thanks for re-activating Jazz.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 8:32pm On Mar 19, 2010
G.Hill:

Put in your request for Jazz Artist you'll love to see, am just curious who you'll like to see.
I'd love to see Cleo Laine in concert! I know that her husband, woodwind virtuoso Johnny Dankworth recently died, but Cleo has long been a favorite of mine. I'm sure here voice is somewhat less spectacular now that she's a bit older, but I also don't doubt that the lady can still make any song an experience!
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by eldee(m): 8:41pm On Mar 19, 2010
How can Jazz be growing in Nigeria??
Wasn't Fela one of the best Jazz players around??
Record companies compared him to Miles Davies and the likes.

I don't know too much about Jazz but I'm half-sure that Highlife too was Jazz in it's purest form.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by kodewrita(m): 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2010
BigSis:

Jazz is a creation of people of African descent in the US.  It began in New Orleans and spread across the globe.  Jazz is African American gift to the world.  The only original American music.

Everything is simply an imitation.  Please tell what part of the African country originated jazz. By the way, the word jazz is believed to have come from the BaKongo word "jizz", which to expell ones semen.  It also had the same meaning in New Orleans.  New Orleans had ever possible ethnic Africans, primarily in large numbers the the folks from the Congo and Angola.  

The percusor to jazz is Ragtime(father of Ragtime is Scott Joplin).  Jazz would have never developed on the African continent. How could it possibly do so?  Black Americans are an amalgamation of many people.  You bring all of those elments together, living in an harsh an oppressive environment, and being naturally gifted, you get Jazz.  That is what makes us so wonderful gifted as people.  Do y'all know that jazz was originally a dancing music.

So y'all stop trying steal our music.   kiss  Africans in America are the orginators of Jazz, just like all other popular forms of music, i.e. rock-n-roll, the Blues, Ragtime, soul, gospel, funk, rythmn & blues, rap, etc.

I have no problem with y'all imitating us.  Imitation is the best kind of flattery, but to claim it as your creation is so silly.

JazzGrowth,

Smooth Jazz is not jazz. It is pop music. It like eating a hot dog vs. a steak. I suggest people start with the original jazz. The original jazz is happy, dancing music.

thanks for the clarification but for it to survive in nigeria, it must adapt and evolve.
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 4:48am On Mar 12, 2011
Some of us just can't get enough jazz! grin

What's new in the field?
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by xolaxEu: 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2013
It's so bad that I have a jazz show on radio. lol

Jazz fan. Bigggg.

jazz growth: I am a new member to the site, I found the site when I was trying to get some information on Kunle Ajayi. I was impressed to realize that "smooth Jazz" is growing steadily in Nigeria. I am a big lover of "smooth jazz" and I would like to see this music genre grow in Nigeria.

One major set back is the acquisition of jazz materials (CDs, DVDs, text). This problem could be minimized, thanks to the ultimate power of the internet. It take only a few clicks and you are in a world of music like never before. The Internet has opened me to smooth jazz stars such as Dave Koz, Peter White, Marc antione, Rick braun, Alexander zonjic (My favorite man) etc. I buy my jazz cds online from bmgmusic.com and columbiahouse.com.

I am fortunate to reside in the United States which makes buying such materials easy. But it costs nothing to stream "smooth jazz or Easy jazz" online. Yahoo.com provides that option: when you click on the radio link, go to 'jazz', and click 'smooth jazz', and relax while you savor the great music.

I have used "smooth" to describe the jazz style and that is because jazz comes in different styles, and smooth jazz is more accessible to me. Traditional jazz is very technical which makes it hard for a new convert to understand, that is why I recommend smooth jazz. So join me and lets make jazz alive in Nigeria.

Jazz Growth USA. grin
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 14, 2013
Re: Jazz Growth in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 14, 2013

(1) (Reply)

International Premiere: 9ice Drops New Single – Gbamu Gbamu On Notjustok.com / Download Full Album: Simi – Omo Charlie Champagne Vol. 1 / [get] Cold Play's Nu Album - Mylo Xyloto - Full Download - 88.15 Mb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.