Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Ndi Igbo Flag - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndi Igbo Flag (2006 Views)

Lagos Has Only One Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo President — Igbo Leaders / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 4:31pm On Jun 09, 2022
Ive noticed the ethnic flags of the ijaw and cross river and they appealed to me, why dont we have an ethnic flag?
so i decided to make one, but i want to gain more knowledge on colours and symbols that define most igbos. what do you suggest?
some features ive found appealing are elephant tusk and the nsibidi symbol for ikenga.

and no the biafran flag isnt the ethnic flag of the igbo, its a national flag.

below are the images of ijaw and cross river flag and ikenga nsibidi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by EndNigeria: 6:47pm On Jun 09, 2022
Maazieze:
Ive noticed the ethnic flags of the ijaw and cross river and they appealed to me, why dont we have an ethnic flag?
so i decided to make one, but i want to gain more knowledge on colours and symbols that define most igbos. what do you suggest?
some features ive found appealing are elephant tusk and the nsibidi symbol for ikenga.

Ijaw Republic Flag

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by EndNigeria: 6:48pm On Jun 09, 2022
Maazieze:

The second flag is Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) Flag and not all Ijaw flag.
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
ah ok, but i read the colours were present in many ijaw organisations, if this isnt the ijaw flag which one is?
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by agadez007(m): 9:40am On Jun 10, 2022
Maazieze:

Someone had to say it,Thank you for this

I have seen many Igbo putting the Biafran flag as the Igbo ethnic flag,especially those Igbos and when you try to correct them,they say you are not Igbo but Fulani
Most of them are brainwashed beyond repairs

1 Like

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 5:29pm On Jun 10, 2022
agadez007:
Someone had to say it,Thank you for this

I have seen many Igbo putting the Biafran flag as the Igbo ethnic flag,especially those Igbos and when you try to correct them,they say you are not Igbo but Fulani
Most of them are brainwashed beyond repairs

i believe its because they value their national identity as biafrans over their tribal identity being igbo
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 12:20pm On Jun 11, 2022
I made a first draft flag, i used the pan african colours
And the tusks are to represent affluence in many areas of the igbo people, with the central symbol representing ikenga the alusi of ndigbo peoples combined aspirations, will power and strength.

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by agadez007(m): 12:47pm On Jun 11, 2022
Maazieze:

i believe its because they value their national identity as biafrans over their tribal identity being igbo
it dosent make sense
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2022
ive decided to review myself as i go step by step considering a proper flag, can anyone help tell me about culturally significant colors in igbo culture?
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by ChangedMan1999(m): 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2022
Maazieze:
ive decided to review myself as i go step by step considering a proper flag, can anyone help tell me about culturally significant colors in igbo culture?

The above flag is good

1 Like

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 2:23pm On Jun 13, 2022
ChangedMan1999:

The above flag is good

Thx but i want it to be better, and modular in a way so each subtribe can augment it to represent them, kinda like the pan arab/black/slavic flags, but i dont want to be too unoriginal. ill update when i think ive made progress.
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 3:22pm On Aug 08, 2022
Wip 2
this isnt the finished flag, but i think i know the general design i want

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 8:02am On Aug 09, 2022
Wip 3

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 3:00pm On Aug 13, 2022
Final flag
I think I'm satisfied with how the flag came out.
Link also contains the slides outlining my design process, https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2qX0QB

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by ljoh: 2:01pm On Sep 25, 2022
I love the nsibidi
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by ljoh: 2:01pm On Sep 25, 2022
Maazieze:
Final flag
I think I'm satisfied with how the flag came out.
Link also contains the slides outlining my design process, https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2qX0QB
Northern flag
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2022
ljoh:
Northern flag
Northern flag? Could you elaborate
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2022
ljoh:
I love the nsibidi

Thats not nsibidi, kinda looks like some indian sanskrit
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by ljoh: 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2022
Maazieze:

Thats not nsibidi, kinda looks like some indian sanskrit

Modified
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 7:09pm On Sep 22, 2023
I think ill reattempt this project later
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Armaggedon: 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2023
Biafra colour combinations is ok.
Nothing like ethnic flag.
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2023
Armaggedon:
Biafra colour combinations is ok.
Nothing like ethnic flag.

I'd rather something unique and more and representative of the Igbo nation in particular, im sure you know the biafran flag is pan african in nature and not specific to a particular ethnic group
Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Armaggedon: 10:16pm On Sep 23, 2023
Maazieze:

I'd rather something unique and more and representative of the Igbo nation in particular, im sure you know the biafran flag is pan african in nature and not specific to a particular ethnic group
You failed to tell me how the Biafran flag fail to represent important Igbo colours except that it's pan African origin disqualifies it. Red, Green, Black and Yellow have always been the dominant Igbo traditional colours. Checkout Okpu agu, Isiagu and some Igbo masquerades. Blue for instance is rarely appealing to Igbo culture.

Moreover, remember Marcus garvey who created the flag was from Jamaica and a lot of them are Igbo by blood.

Re: Ndi Igbo Flag by Maazieze(m): 7:01pm On Sep 24, 2023
Armaggedon:
You failed to tell me how the Biafran flag fail to represent important Igbo colours except that it's pan African origin disqualifies it. Red, Green, Black and Yellow have always been the dominant Igbo traditional colours. Checkout Okpu agu, Isiagu and some Igbo masquerades. Blue for instance is rarely appealing to Igbo culture.

Moreover, remember Marcus garvey who created the flag was from Jamaica and a lot of them are Igbo by blood.

I speak of the premise upon which the flag was created, yes the pan african flag has colours important to the igbo culture but it was not made with the idea of representing us in particular. (marcus garvey potentially having igbo blood doesnt change the premise of its creation, would the nigerian flag be a yoruba flaf because its creator is yoruba?)
Another point you make is on the colour blue, differing hues are used, a prominent example is the ukara cloth, though yes it is not as common but it shouldnt be left out.
following principles of vexillology, i wished to make a flag distinctive and unique to us, the biafran flag doesnt do that, it represents the wider eastern peoples(igbos, ijaw, ogoni, Ibibio, efik... etc).
im not interested in taking the biafran flag and just changing the ensign to something igbo related.

(1) (Reply)

Come To Nyanya Tipper Garage: Abuja’s Soddom And Gomorrah / It Was A Taboo For An Ibo Man To Take His Own Life / Incredible Photograph Of Aboriginal Nigerian Women In 1882

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.